Picture of Gifts

daniezutton

I received a gorgeous antique silver platter for my bedroom which I plan on putting jewelery and perfume on. Some new linen, 100$, a spider ring, a diary for my thoughts and ideas and some other small things. I felt quite spoiled.

Plan on getting some video games and clothes with the money! :)

• Like 2

Santa brings everyone presents to celebrate his birthday. Yes, that's right, he brings YOU presents to celebrate HIS birthday. He's just that awesome.

That is unexpected. Is Santa a religious thing? Everyone talks of church and the bible during Christmas. Well more so than usual

Santa brings everyone presents to celebrate his birthday. Yes, that's right, he brings YOU presents to celebrate HIS birthday. He's just that awesome.

Like he is a saint?

He is a saint, Saint Nick.

...I better stop before I either get in trouble of confuse you anymore :awesome:

I still do not understand. The Internet says it is about Jesus doing something, and yet everyone is talking of the Saint Santa. What is the religious meaning to the holiday?

• Like 1

I still do not understand. The Internet says it is about Jesus doing something, and yet everyone is talking of the Saint Santa. What is the religious meaning to the holiday?

Christians celebrate the "birth of Jesus" on Christmas. I won't get into religious debating, but I guess Santa giving out presents is supposed to symbolize the joy of Jesus' birth. That and capitalism.

Edited by gamerm1337
  • Like 1

You're awesome.

Christians celebrate the "birth of Jesus" on Christmas. I won't get into religious debating, but I guess Santa giving out presents is supposed to symbolize the joy of Jesus' birth. That and capitalism.

You're just as awesome.

Mr. MovieMan, Christmas was originally just to celebrate the birth of Jesus, a Christian profit and savior. Then, about 100 years ago or so, an American soda pop company came up with a character called Santa Clause. He is not an ordained saint by the Catholic church, rather, he is sometimes referred to as Saint Nick.

The giving of gifts originated from the Christian profit's birth. It was said that 12 (correct me if I'm wrong on the number) wise men, or other profits of the Christian faith, brought Jesus' parents gifts ranging from livestock to gold. This was to celebrate the birth of their savior.

Hope that's it in a nutshell. I'm not 100% positive if that's completely accurate, however, it's pretty damn close. FYI, I'm not Christian....or of any religious belief. Just bits an pieces I remember being forced upon me as a child.

You're awesome.

You're just as awesome.

Mr. MovieMan, Christmas was originally just to celebrate the birth of Jesus, a Christian profit and savior. Then, about 100 years ago or so, an American soda pop company came up with a character called Santa Clause. He is not an ordained saint by the Catholic church, rather, he is sometimes referred to as Saint Nick.

The giving of gifts originated from the Christian profit's birth. It was said that 12 (correct me if I'm wrong on the number) wise men, or other profits of the Christian faith, brought Jesus' parents gifts ranging from livestock to gold. This was to celebrate the birth of their savior.

Hope that's it in a nutshell. I'm not 100% positive if that's completely accurate, however, it's pretty damn close. FYI, I'm not Christian....or of any religious belief. Just bits an pieces I remember being forced upon me as a child.

So there are two different Christmases? Or why is Santa in it? I have heard of Santa back in Russia, but I was in a Jewish school. We never had much outside influence, even video games were banned from the households.

You're awesome.

You're just as awesome.

I believe the 12 is the apostles. The number of wise men is 3. Gold, frankenscence (reminds me of Frankenstein), and myhrr (spelling?)

So there are two different Christmases? Or why is Santa in it? I have heard of Santa back in Russia, but I was in a Jewish school. We never had much outside influence, even video games were banned from the households.

I'm sure you have heard of Santa in Russia. He's been around for over 100 years. Also, no, I do believe there is only one Christmas that is celebrated on the 25th of December. To be honest, I'm not really sure what Santa's fat ass has anything to do with it. The Coke-a-Cola company made him up and for some reason, his fat ass stuck as the Christmas representative. It's dumb dude, there's no doubt about that.

I believe the 12 is the apostles. The number of wise men is 3. Gold, frankenscence (reminds me of Frankenstein), and myhrr (spelling?)

Ah, yes. I do believe you're right. Very good.

I'm sure you have heard of Santa in Russia. He's been around for over 100 years. Also, no, I do believe there is only one Christmas that is celebrated on the 25th of December. To be honest, I'm not really sure what Santa's fat ass has anything to do with it. The Coke-a-Cola company made him up and for some reason, his fat ass stuck as the Christmas representative. It's dumb dude, there's no doubt about that.

Ah, yes. I do believe you're right. Very good.

It seems many American holidays have nontraditional traditions....I have been in Thanksgiving and Victory Day, both have traditions that are not a part of the holiday.

It seems many American holidays have nontraditional traditions....I have been in Thanksgiving and Victory Day, both have traditions that are not a part of the holiday.

I do believe that Christmas is not an American holiday. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was celebrated in Europe way before the USA was even a thought. Also, I've never heard of Victory Day. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving either. Sounds Canadian (which technically is an American country).

I think you need to sit in on some American history classes somewhere...say a local community college. That would be easier than getting the half-truth from a bunch of gamers on a PS3 trophy site...just saying....since you seem pretty interested/confused and all.

• Like 1

I do believe that Christmas is not an American holiday. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was celebrated in Europe way before the USA was even a thought. Also, I've never heard of Victory Day. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving either. Sounds Canadian (which technically is an American country).

I think you need to sit in on some American history classes somewhere...say a local community college. That would be easier than getting the half-truth from a bunch of gamers on a PS3 trophy site...just saying....since you seem pretty interested/confused and all.

I am starting American school in 2nd semester. I have been home schooled for the past 2 years but on occasion go to the high school for social experience, and the family I live with does not have many extended friends, so I do not knowledge much now, but I hope the public school will help that. I did pass the American history test when I came here, and I know about the Thankgiving and the Victory day holidays, I was talking of celebrations themselves and how Americans usually have nontraditional traditions. Like the watching American football on the Thanksgiving and the tree on Christmas. They are not a part of the history, but Americans do it now. It is actually fascinating, I am not used to this kind of celebrations.

Like the watching American football on the Thanksgiving and the tree on Christmas. They are not a part of the history, but Americans do it now. It is actually fascinating, I am not used to this kind of celebrations.

I believe that the tradition of the tree on Christmas comes from the North-European Pagan holiday Yule. If I am correct, Jesus was not in fact born on the 25th December, but Christians 'moved' his birthday so it could be celebrated at Yuletide, whilst adopting some of the pagan traditions such as the tree. As for the presents and modern traditions, a lot of it is not religiously or historically linked at all but stems from capitalism as gamerm said, such as the icon of Santa. I remember my dad telling me that when he was a child, the only present you got on Christmas was an orange and some raisins in your stocking, or coal if you had been naughty. Obviously nowadays people give much larger, more extravagant gifts... That is why here in England many atheists and even a few people of other religions still celebrate Christmas even though it is a supposedly Christian holiday.

• Like 1