Weird Vita issue

MosesRockefeller

So I started having a strange Vita issue lately. It's not a showstopper and since it's consistent, I know how to avoid it. But sometimes I forget to be careful and it happens again. 

Here's what's happening. When a game gets a post-install patch (for example, Shovel Knight got an update last night / this morning to add a free DLC campaign), there are two main ways I know of to install it. I should mention that I have PS+ auto-updates turned on. What my system does though, is download patches but not install them. I can't remember if that's normal with Vita. I also usually keep my free space fairly low (it's just under 500MB right now), if that makes a difference. Obviously patches won't download if they are larger than the free space, but I'm referring to successful patch downloads here. 

Here are the two update install methods I know of: 

1. I can open the game bubble, and then push on the orange Update button at the far left. This downloads (if not downloaded automatically) applies the patch WITHOUT launching the game.

2. I can launch the game while applying the patch, either by launching the game normally, or by pushing on the Patch download notification in the notification area. 

Here's the weird part. Method 2 works fine, every time, with no errors. But every time that I can recall for the last few months at least, Method 1 gives an error about not applying the update, every single time. The funny thing is, the error doesn't go into the Settings - System - Error History section. Also, as far as I can tell, the patch gets applied successfully. In many cases, an update changes the Vita bubble icon, and for Shovel Knight this morning, that happened. 

Anyway, it always makes me worried that something might be corrupt, so what I do every time I forget to use Method 2, is delete the game, then redownload from the store (which downloads the latest patch automatically, and applies it on first launch of the game). 

Has anybody else had this happen? The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with my low amount of free space, but why would Method 2 work fine then? 

Also, I don't think it's directly related, but I have noticed that Rayman Origins randomly gets corrupted and won't launch. It doesn't seem to happen with any other games. I have taken several long breaks from the game, but I always keep it installed. Both times I got back into the game after a break of a few months, it says the game can't launch after showing the splash screen (like it's launching normally), and I have to delete and reinstall it. Is that game just buggy or something? 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

8 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Yea, happens all the time.

I started to ignore it since updates are installed and nothing got corrupted.

Happened to me on SAO so it's even for recent games.

Well at least I'm not the only one having it happen. I guess it's a "feature" from Sony. :P

It's weird, I certainly don't remember it happening back in my early days of having my Vita, so I guess it got introduced at some later point. And yeah, it happens with every single patch for me, no matter how old or new the game, so I'm 99% sure it's a Sony/Vita issue, not a game issue. Weird. 

22 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, I don't think it's directly related, but I have noticed that Rayman Origins randomly gets corrupted and won't launch. It doesn't seem to happen with any other games.

Busy playing Rayman on Vita so I better check if it happens. 

2 hours ago, brunorossin said:

I always use the first method that you said and never, never got any error. I'm a ps plus member but don't let auto update enable. I just download a patch when the game tell me that there's a new patch.

Interesting. Maybe it's an issue with the free space remaining. Anyway, according to @Satoshi Ookami, the patches always install fine (which matches what I noticed). So I don't think there is a real problem here. 

2 hours ago, DF007gamer said:

Busy playing Rayman on Vita so I better check if it happens. 

My advice is to make sure the saves are auto-uploading each day (or if you're not a PS+ member for some reason, that you are manually backing up the save to a PC or PS3, which sadly copies the whole game and is slow because of that). As long as you have a good savegame, you can always re-download that save after reinstalling. 

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

As long as you have a good savegame, you can always re-download that save after reinstalling. 

After playing SKYRIM and Wolfenstein I've learn my lesson a few years back so I make back up saves regularly. Thanks anyways