Should I get this?

Hi everyone! I used to play F-Zero GX all the time on my GameCube back when I only had Nintendo systems. This collection reminds me of the F-Zero series and was wondering if this series is as difficult to play as the F-Zero games. It doesn't seem as fast paced as F-Zero but that's based on gameplay footage. Thanks for any input!

9 minutes ago, cocacolakid825 said:

Thanks! Due to there not being a new F-Zero in years, this will definitely scratch the itch!

I don't know how similar they are to F-Zero, but Redout is releasing in two months and Formula Fusion is coming later on in the year

Both are really similar to Wipeout, so maybe you could look into those too

• Like 1

On 2017-6-4 at 2:01 AM, cocacolakid825 said:

Thanks! Due to there not being a new F-Zero in years, this will definitely scratch the itch!

On 2017-6-4 at 2:12 AM, Shadiochao said:

I don't know how similar they are to F-Zero, but Redout is releasing in two months and Formula Fusion is coming later on in the year

Both are really similar to Wipeout, so maybe you could look into those too

8 hours ago, JFthebestJan said:

the day a new F-Zero is announced, is the day i'll 'switch' back to nintendo again... :D

The new F-Zero is out on the Switch already. It's called Fast RMX.

Seriously though, it's practically the spiritual successor to F-Zero. There's one gameplay element (phase switching) they added but for the rest it's F-Zero GX with the names filed off. It's certainly closer than Wipeout, which I tried once butI didn't like that it had weapons, which is very unlike F-Zero for me.

Redout has the advantage of being available for more platforms and it looks cool and I will certainly get it on the Switch, but with all that I've seen of it I don't see how it can be as cool as Fast RMX. Personally, I'm getting more of a Star Wars Racer vibe from Redout by the way.

I'm still pissed about Nintendo neglecting F-Zero except for the occasional Mario Kart or Smash Bros level, but getting a studio to make the Fast series for them certainly helps getting over not having a new F-Zero for fourteen years now. Still not close to being okay with F-Zero being ignored, but Fast certainly helps to "scratch the itch", as you say.

Just for you information... If you'are planning to do platinum then you're gonna have a tough time...

It's much harder than Wipeout HD and 2048 from PS3/Vita.

Well, they are just combined into one trophy list and Elite requries you to gold everything, so you will be yelling and throwing a pad all over your room :)

To this day I think Wipeout HD and Vanquish were my hardest and most skilled platinums ever.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, BillyHorrible said:

The new F-Zero is out on the Switch already. It's called Fast RMX.

Seriously though, it's practically the spiritual successor to F-Zero. There's one gameplay element (phase switching) they added but for the rest it's F-Zero GX with the names filed off. It's certainly closer than Wipeout, which I tried once butI didn't like that it had weapons, which is very unlike F-Zero for me.

You can turn weapons off in WipEout though if you're not interested in the campaign and play via racebox.

13 minutes ago, madbuk said:

You can turn weapons off in WipEout though if you're not interested in the campaign and play via racebox.

To my recollection, I did exactly that during my short time with the one Wipeout game I played.

I might try the PS4 collection at some point, I remain of the opinion though that Fast RMX is much closer to F-Zero than any of the other games.

1 hour ago, barrymcg said:

I have played it for about 6 hours and i have found it to be quite boaring. I like racing games but this really isnt for me. I must be more of a realistic racer guy

Have you tried out phantom speed or Zone mode yet? That's where the game really shines imo, the earlier events are really slow.

2 hours ago, barrymcg said:

I must be more of a realistic racer guy

Use accelerator more and you will feel the speed ;)

To be honest this game is more likely for people with memories of the old games from PS1 etc. I got it as preorder, althought didnt try it yet, but three of my mates are coming over this weekend to spend a whole night playing this little baby. Sofa racing memories, speed and beer ;) Playing it on single player gives you a lot of joy, but not as much as with the others.

I believe these days generation of players have no idea that couch multiplayer is better than playing online. Enjoy the speed everyone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I just platted the collection and wanted to say thanks for your opinions. Overall I enjoyed the experience (eff you Zico HD). In comparing the racing in this vs F-Zero GX, I personally thought F-Zero was faster and I enjoy the experience you have with that franchise more, probably since I had played F-Zero for years. However, I enjoyed the Mario Kart-esque gameplay with the weapons in Wipeout. I just felt the tracks were super thin in Wipeout and you got pushed around too much and couldn't retaliate where in F-Zero you can side shift attack other vehicles so you weren't pushed around. Both are good, fun franchises (and have excellent soundtracks) but I'd have to give the nod to F-Zero. This definitely "scratched the itch" though! 

• Like 2