Too late to join the party?

Nah it's not too late. It'll just be a long while before you even get to Stormblood. But this game is very beginner friendly and you'll have plenty of vets helping you out. As long as you have the time for it, you're in for a great experience.

I'd say it's definitely not too late, just be wary of what world (server) you choose to be on, some are highly populated and are subject to daily simultaneous logouts to deal with the congestion (even though it's not helping at all), with the worst affected data centre being Chaos, the only EU data centre, 7 of it's 10 worlds are affected by the simultaneous logout measures. The 3 unaffected worlds are Zodiark, Lich and Louisoix, even those 3 worlds are lightly populated, all parties formed for dungeons are done across the entire data centre, so say you're on Zodiark, you might get all people from Zodiark for one dungeon, but for the next one you might get someone from Moogle, another from Omega and one from Cerberus,

I'd say avoid going to Cerberus or Odin if you choose the Chaos data centre, these 2 are the worlds with the highest populations, with Omega slowly catching up.

Edited by Lady Blanc
Additional information.

14 minutes ago, Skadanton said:

Was also thinking about getting into the game but the subscription fees turn me off.

Trophy wise -- how fast can you 100% it (including aprox. time for Stormblood DLC)?

You do not need Heavensward or Stormblood to 100% this game in terms of trophies, as they do not add new trophies. As for how long, even with rushing through the main story quests, I'd say 100 hours is most likely being very generous, as you need to use every gathering class (Botanist, Miner and Fisher) to gather 1000 items each, every crafting class (Carpenter, Blacksmith, Armorer, Goldsmith, Leatherworker, Weaver, Alchemist and Culinarian) to craft 1000 items each as well as a few other long grinds, such as 1000 FATEs, 100 dungeons/trials/raids, and reaching 50 (done without the shortcut you have to spend real money for) isn't quick either. There's also a trophy clearing the first 5 parts to an end-game (A Realm Reborn) raid, the long part to this is actually getting in, the first 5 parts are pretty fast to clear.

Edited by Lady Blanc
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lady Blanc said:

You do not need Heavensward or Stormblood to 100% this game in terms of trophies, as they do not add new trophies. As for how long, even with rushing through the main story quests, I'd say 100 hours is most likely being very generous, as you need to use every gathering class (Botanist, Miner and Fisher) to gather 1000 items each, every crafting class (Carpenter, Blacksmith, Armorer, Goldsmith, Leatherworker, Weaver, Alchemist and Culinarian) to craft 1000 items each as well as a few other long grinds, such as 1000 FATEs, 100 dungeons/trials/raids, and reaching 50 (done without the shortcut you have to spend real money for) isn't quick either. There's also a trophy clearing the first 5 parts to an end-game (A Realm Reborn) raid, the long part to this is actually getting in, the first 5 parts are pretty fast to clear.

Huh, didn't know that there are no DLC trophies. I guess I might give it a try (especially with a free trial) -- speaking of which -- do you know by any chance if trophies are obtainable with it?

2 hours ago, Skadanton said:

Was also thinking about getting into the game but the subscription fees turn me off.

Trophy wise -- how fast can you 100% it (including aprox. time for Stormblood DLC)?

It will take you no less than around 6 months to platinum FFXIV because of one trophy for completing 1,000 Levequests. You need allowances to complete them and you get 3 Levequest allowances every 12 hours. That means it would take you 167 days to get all 1,000 allowances or around five and a half months. Also, no you cannot get any trophies with the free trial. You have to purchase the game to get trophies.

Edited by Mike13858
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can progress on most of the trophies with the trial version, then buy the game, unlock everything you made progress on during the trial as soon you start the full version, and then, during the free month that comes with the full version you bought, you can do the trophies that cannot be done during the trial (main scenario above lvl 35, Binding Coil and such). So technically you don't even have to pay a single month of subscription if you are only interested in the plat.

PS. Just be sure to choose a server that grants 1 million gil and 15 free days of additional subscription once you reach lvl 30, will help a great deal.

Edited by Brightblade76