Microsoft almost bought Sega to kill the Playstation

Lady Lilith

http://www.oxm.co.uk...r-exec-reveals/

Microsoft once considered buying venerable publisher Sega to counter Sony's PlayStation business, the company's former vice president of Windows sales has revealed. Sonic the Hedgehog - the brother-in-law Master Chief never had?

"There were three companies at that point in time, I think this was [sony,] SEGA and Nintendo," Joachim Kempin recounted to IGN in an interview. "There was always talk maybe we buy SEGA or something like that; that never materialised, but we were actually able to license them what they call Windows CE, the younger brother of Windows, to run on their system and make that their platform.

image_32895_thumb_wide300.jpg

"But for Bill [Gates] this wasn't enough, he didn't think that SEGA had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing.

"There were some talks but it never materialised because SEGA was a very different bird," he added. "It was always Sony and Nintendo, right? And Nintendo had some financial trouble at that point in time, so Sony came out with the PlayStation and bang! They took off, and everyone else was left behind."

Intriguing stuff, no? While we're discussing missed opportunities, it might interest you to know that Microsoft was once in a position to block the sale of the Wii.

I'm really glad they never bought Sega, we all know what happened to Rare when MS bought them. Still, I wonder what could have been...although it's not too hard to imagine, seeing as the 360 is full of shooters. Maybe they would have been different to Sega? Probably not.

I still remember when they wanted to buy Nintendo, yet I somehow missed them wanting to buy Sega...

Edited by gamerm1337

Well considering that they're contemplating selling the Xbox name means they wouldn't have achieved their goal. They have a fee to play online yet they claim that they're losing tons on services.

Because producing the 360 in itself is a total loss in profits for MS,they almost depend on software sales.

Also My thoughts exactly on what would've happen to sega,I mean just look at Rare :|

http://www.oxm.co.uk...r-exec-reveals/

I'm really glad they never bought Sega, we all know what happened to Rare when MS bought them. Still, I wonder what could have been...although it's not too hard to imagine, seeing as the 360 is full of shooters. Maybe they would have been different to Sega? Probably not.

I still remember when they wanted to buy Nintendo, yet I somehow missed them wanting to buy Sega...

It would have been interesting to see SEGA tank even faster. I'm sorry, but I truly cannot stand Microsoft...they are so greedy, and it is great to see their plans did not pan out.

• Like 1

While I enjoy my 360, I'm very glad Microsoft didn't purchase Sega. Sure, Sega aren't at the top of their game like they were in the late '80's and early '90's, but I would hate to see them go down like Rare and be destroyed by those who were supposed to save them. In fact, I hope Sega announces a Dreamcast 2 and replaces Nintendo as the third home console next generation.

Parker

• Like 3

It would have been interesting to see SEGA tank even faster. I'm sorry, but I truly cannot stand Microsoft...they are so greedy, and it is great to see their plans did not pan out.

Not as greedy as Apple though.....

In fact, I hope Sega announces a Dreamcast 2 and replaces Nintendo as the third home console next generation.

Parker

Yeah and the PS5 and PC make it look once again like a portable calculator.

Edited by Ramonalicious

I hope Sega announces a Dreamcast 2 and replaces Nintendo as the third home console next generation.

I would be first in line! I still rock my DC till this day :D I just wish they would make Shenmue 3 already! instead of another stupid ass Sonic game.

All this shows you is that Microsoft are only interested in monopolising any industry they are in (They tried with the PC software and hardware industry... failed, and now the gaming industry... looks like another fail here too) and squeeze obscene amounts of money out of all of their customers in the process. I only use Windows because it's either that or a Mac, and I can't afford a Mac. It's quite clear Microsoft hates competition, especially when the competition is far more popular and respected than they are, it's like the new kid at school being jealous of all of the popular students.

SEGA are still a decent dev today, but they are nowhere as good as they used to be, partly because they lack variety, they should give Sonic a break (Sure, I've been a Sonic fan since the beginning, but there have been far too many Sonic games this gen, and too much of a good thing is never good in the long run).

Edited by Blanc_WhiteHeart
  • Like 1