Death Squared dev on reddit advises against buying their game on Switch - "right now".

Oobedoob S Benubi

j0c8yz8x04oz.jpg

Source:

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/72g7tp/do_not_buy_our_game_right_now_on_sale_this_week/dni9iru/

A Death Squared dev has posted on reddit that people should not buy their game "right now" as it will be on sale in a few days.

The game has been available on the Switch since late July, and is also available on PS4. It's the first sale the game is on on the Switch; and the Switch's eShop doesn't have that many sales yet as it's both a new console and owned by Nintendo. Since June/July, games have been going on sales, one or two at a time.

Personally, I bought the game on the Switch the day it was released and I loved playing through it - it's a puzzle platformer where you operate two AI droids through death traps, with humourous background chatter. There are multiplayer challenge levels where you can play with up to four players.

I thought the dev advertising the sale like this was too funny to just share it with the Switch crowd, and figured this might put the game on the map for some PS4 players as well.

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 hour ago, Winkuru said:

But the sad truth that this is most likely just a calculated move. If a news site picks something like this up (which often happens) then it's lots of good publicity.

Well of course it is. Not sure how it is a "sad truth" as both parties benefit from this. Customers wait to get a bargain and the dev gets good publicity (actually has the dev gotten any publicity from this?)

3 hours ago, Winkuru said:

But the sad truth that this is most likely just a calculated move. If a news site picks something like this up (which often happens) then it's lots of good publicity.

2 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

Well of course it is. Not sure how it is a "sad truth" as both parties benefit from this. Customers wait to get a bargain and the dev gets good publicity (actually has the dev gotten any publicity from this?)

Don't know why it would be "sad". We're not talking about a billion dollar company here, but a dev and a game so small that neither have a Wikipedia page. Nothing wrong with an indie dev saying "hey people, just so you know, we discussed going on a sale with Nintendo" for some good publicity so more people are inclined to buy their game (which is an excellent game and should be bought by more people, in my opinion).

Every dev is allowed to do this, you know, any time they are going on a sale. This dev should be applauded for announcing a sale, not be called out for a "calculated move". I think we all have at some point bought a game that ended up going on a sale (or even PS+) a week after. How much would we give for more devs to be this honest?

And yeah @Miles_Warren several news sites picked up on this story, it's pretty unique after all.

P.S. the devs have stated along with the announcement what their (supposed) side goal is: if they get people to wait and buy the game when it's on sale, they could possibly get into the charts again.

Edited by BillyHorrible