Sony Exec: PS4/Vita Remote Play Will Work Day One

Undrey

When it comes to PlayStation devices, the idea of Remote Play – of streaming from your PlayStation console to your PlayStation handheld – has been long-rumored (and even promised). And while a very limited amount of games have fulfilled the ideal behind Remote Play, it’s been a largely untapped notion that never quite came to fruition.

But with Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai, ubiquitous Remote Play might be right around the corner. I asked the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, about this very question. I noted that we saw him play Killzone 3 on a Vita a year ago and that we’ve heard a great deal about Remote Play with very little to show for it. And his response was, in essence, that this time is difference.

When it comes to Gaikai and how it interacts with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, Yoshida noted that “the Remote Play side will work. So we’re saying virtually every PS4 game will be playable with PS Vita via Remote Play, so you connect your Vita to your PS4, especially at home, it’s a great experience.”

I pressed Yoshida about day-one functionality; will PS4 and Vita support Remote Play the first day PlayStation 4 hits the market? “I will be heartbroken if it doesn’t [work] day one,” he answered. “So day one, my expectation… we have to have all [PS4] games work on PS Vita, unless it’s a camera-only game.”

Yoshida stated that Gaikai is currently working with SCEI in particular “to make sure that the latency [problem common with an endeavor like this] is minimum.”

After so much talk of Remote Play and, sadly, so little to show for it, it looks like this time may just be different.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-exec-ps4vita-remote-play-will-work-day-one

Awesome! I was literally just reading this article. So there naysayers that said the streaming would not work initially! Also, Undrey, how did you quote the entire post? I need to know how to do that? I've been here for ages, and I know how to quote others, but not how to quote articles.

Awesome! I was literally just reading this article. So there naysayers that said the streaming would not work initially! Also, Undrey, how did you quote the entire post? I need to know how to do that? I've been here for ages, and I know how to quote others, but not how to quote articles.

I think you just use Quote tags and copy/paste ;)

[quote]When it comes to PlayStation devices, the idea of Remote Play – of streaming from your PlayStation console to your PlayStation handheld – [url="http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/12/02/sony-debunks-vita-remote-play-rumor"]has been long-rumored[/url] (and even promised). And while a very limited amount of games have fulfilled the ideal behind Remote Play, it’s been a largely untapped notion that never quite came to fruition.
But with Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai, ubiquitous Remote Play might be right around the corner. I asked the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, about this very question. I noted that [url="http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/09/15/tgs-play-killzone-3-on-your-vita"]we saw him play Killzone 3 on a Vita[/url] a year ago and that we’ve heard a great deal about Remote Play with very little to show for it. And his response was, in essence, that this time is difference.
When it comes to Gaikai and how it interacts with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, Yoshida noted that “the Remote Play side will work. So we’re saying virtually every PS4 game will be playable with PS Vita via Remote Play, so you connect your Vita to your PS4, especially at home, it’s a great experience.”

I pressed Yoshida about day-one functionality; will PS4 and Vita support Remote Play the first day PlayStation 4 hits the market? “I will be heartbroken if it doesn’t [work] day one,” he answered. “So day one, my expectation… we have to have all [PS4] games work on PS Vita, unless it’s a camera-only game.”
Yoshida stated that Gaikai is currently working with SCEI in particular “to make sure that the latency [problem common with an endeavor like this] is minimum.”
After so much talk of Remote Play and, sadly, so little to show for it, it looks like this time may just be different.
[/quote]

Should yield...

When it comes to PlayStation devices, the idea of Remote Play – of streaming from your PlayStation console to your PlayStation handheld – has been long-rumored (and even promised). And while a very limited amount of games have fulfilled the ideal behind Remote Play, it’s been a largely untapped notion that never quite came to fruition.

But with Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai, ubiquitous Remote Play might be right around the corner. I asked the president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, about this very question. I noted that we saw him play Killzone 3 on a Vita a year ago and that we’ve heard a great deal about Remote Play with very little to show for it. And his response was, in essence, that this time is difference.

Edit: Removed erroneous formatting tags inside quote.

Edited by bmj14772

Just type in [ quote ] [/ quote ] without the spaces and whatever you want in them, or use the quote icon thing near the Twitter icon.

It's a crazy concept and cool idea :D I don't have a Vita and don't intend to get one, but it's awesome that you'll be able to do this.

But what about the missing L2 and R2? :hmm: Will they be replaced by tapping the back of it or something?

Yes, the shoulder buttons and the L3/R3 sticks are replace with the back touchpad, it already works with the GOW collection.

I think you just use Quote tags and copy/paste ;)

Should yield...

Edit: Removed erroneous formatting tags inside quote.

Just type in [ quote ] [/ quote ] without the spaces and whatever you want in them, or use the quote icon thing near the Twitter icon.

Yes, the shoulder buttons and the L3/R3 sticks are replace with the back touchpad, it already works with the GOW collection.

Thanks guys, even though I have always listed sources and authors when I copy and paste and article, a mod was concerned that I was plagiarizing. I will do this to keep myself beyond a shadow of a doubt in the clear. :D

I think from a technical standpoint the PS4 is different then the PS3 in that way.

By going on what was told at the announcement this is the main difference:

PS3 supported Remote Play there is no denying that.

The PS3 itself though wasn't powerfull enough to "stream" the entire resolution + game to the vita (in essence it would stream say a 720p outputted resolution on a 480p/576p (what is the vita?) screen which was useless) the fact that developers that supported Remote Play had to add the code to start the game natively in a 480p/576p resolution when the game was booted during Remote Play. Making the rendering a lot easier for the PS3.

The PS4 on the other hand. Based on the impression I got from the presentation, has a build in Live compressing and decompressing functionality for video. Making it also possible to Live stream games to a Ustream channel.

This also makes the PS4 the native source of the Remote Play... meaning theoretically all games should be Remotely Playable Natively throught the PS4, no coding or extra resolution needed. Now I assume this is also because of the whole Gaikai technology. and I also assume that developers still hold the right to enable or disable it for their games.

Also judging from the presentation and assuming that some parts were not rehearsed. The moment that they showed the first game (Knack) being remotely played for the first time by it's creator, they acted that they made it possible for the first and that the creator (who was suddenly playing it) did not even know about it and this was the first time he saw it. Meaning it has nothing to do with a extra part of coding on the developers side anymore.

These are all assumptions of course based on the impressions they made in the presentation. But to me they seem plausible especially with Gaikai involved (seeing as OnLive and Gaikai are basically Remote Play)

Edited by Shuyinsama