Your Personal Opinions on this game?

Fall of Cybertron is amazing and easily one of my favorite third person shooters. Personally, I feel that FoC improved in every single way over War for Cybertron and if you enjoyed the first one you should absolutely love the second. The single player is better, the multiplayer is better, the controls are better, it looks better, there is more customization and you can be a fucking T-Rex Transformer. It's a fantastic game.

Parker

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fall of Cybertron is amazing and easily one of my favorite third person shooters. Personally, I feel that FoC improved in every single way over War for Cybertron and if you enjoyed the first one you should absolutely love the second. The single player is better, the multiplayer is better, the controls are better, it looks better, there is more customization and you can be a fucking T-Rex Transformer. It's a fantastic game.

Parker

WFC is SUPERIOR in every way over FOC. PERIOD. In truth, NO ONE should buy a game from HMS as long as they're connected to Activision. Activision refuses to let them fix the issues that arise with their games. The glitches that eventually happened in WFC? Activision refused to let HMS make a patch. The ghost glitch in FOC? Activision refused to let them make a patch. They take your money and laugh all the way to the bank because they know they can get more. It's the one reason I chose not to buy the Deadpool game. (And I love Deadpool!) That said, a friend game shared FOC with me. And I'm glad I didn't pay a dime for it. The moment I plat'd it, I was done...

• Like 1

WFC is SUPERIOR in every way over FOC. PERIOD. In truth, NO ONE should buy a game from HMS as long as they're connected to Activision. Activision refuses to let them fix the issues that arise with their games. The glitches that eventually happened in WFC? Activision refused to let HMS make a patch. The ghost glitch in FOC? Activision refused to let them make a patch. They take your money and laugh all the way to the bank because they know they can get more. It's the one reason I chose not to buy the Deadpool game. (And I love Deadpool!) That said, a friend game shared FOC with me. And I'm glad I didn't pay a dime for it. The moment I plat'd it, I was done...

I disagree with that but you are more than welcome to have that opinion. Personally, I found Fall of Cybertron to be a much better and more enjoyable experience than War for Cybertron. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved WFC and thought it was the best Transformers game that was ever released, until FoC came out. FoC has a better story, gameplay, graphics and just all around more polish, in my opinion which is why I enjoyed it more. 

Parker

I disagree with that but you are more than welcome to have that opinion. Personally, I found Fall of Cybertron to be a much better and more enjoyable experience than War for Cybertron. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved WFC and thought it was the best Transformers game that was ever released, until FoC came out. FoC has a better story, gameplay, graphics and just all around more polish, in my opinion which is why I enjoyed it more. 

Parker

Sorry, but FOC was a huge step in the wrong direction. Graphics don't make a game better.

In terms of campaign, it was the only positive thing, but that's still a negative. You don't make a sequel and REMOVE things its predecessor had. They removed co-op. I can understand that because everyone that played would want to play as a big T. Rex during those missions, but take a look at Jazz's/Cliffjumper's missions or Starscream's mission. Having Cliffjumper sneak through an area and unlock a door for Jazz would have been cool or having Starscream's Seeker buddies (Thundercracker, Skywarp) join in on his mission would have been cool, too.

Escalation only had four maps (two for each faction) and each character has specific abilities that are there in all four escalation forms. One character in each map has an ammo beacon, one can heal, etc. Yes, the difficulty does increase rather quickly, but it's like once you beat all four maps, there's no reason to even play it again. The farthest I made it in WFC's escalation was wave 37 and that's only because I froze.

In terms of MP, the customization isn't much of an improvement. You get more color pallets and can put Deadend's head on Jazz's body with Cliffjumper's legs and Soundwave's arms. Ooh, stop me there, I might have an oil leak. Sorry, but it's still a failure. If they really wanted to improve that, they wouldn't have made it with parts from the Transformers cast, but with fully customizable parts and being able to color each part or at the very least, make a primary, secondary, tertiary, highlight and pattern colors.

The only improvement to MP is Capture the Flag which takes the place of Code of Power from WFC.

It's not so much that I have an issue with the overall presentation of the game. It's that I hate Activision and the fact that they don't care about the consumer (us). If they did, they'd allow HMS to fix the glitches that BOTH games have.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I hadn't heard anything about Activision refusing to release patches; yeah there sure are a lot of glitchers on the MP.  But I still love FoC, I think the story flowed way better than WfC.  I mean it was cool to be able to choose which character you wanted for a mission on WfC, but I feel like the individual character you're given on FoC is way more customized (Soundwave actually has his casseticons, Grimlock is, well, Grimlock....).  I think FoC is definitely better, although it was actually the first one I played--actually it was the reason I decided to get a PS3!

• 1 year later...

I realize it's now been over a year since this thread- was last posted in, but having just earned the Fall Of Cybertron platinum this morning, I'd like to share a few of my views regarding the game.

War For Cybertron was a great game, and one that I enjoyed in just about every way  Easily the best TF game that I'd ever played by then, second only to the enjoyable TF Armada game on PS2.  The story was well told, the graphics looked great, levels were fairly large and looked so different to anything seen in previous games, and the Co-Op feature worked quite well.  It was the second PS3 game where I made the effort to finish all the MP trophies, as I also enjoyed that side of it immensely.  I was pretty stoked for a sequel.

And then Fall Of Cybertron came along, and basically blew me away.  WFC was great, but this bordered on sheer perfection, in my humble opinion.  Now that much of the origin of Optimus Prime and the early days of the war had been told, FOC could jump straight into the action from the get-go.  Some more classic characters were introduced, like the colossal Metroplex and the military Combaticons - watching Metroplex stomp across Iacon and annihilate all opposition in his path was always fun to watch.  Again, the story unfolded very well, and was much more epic in scope than that of its predecessor.  The final level, featuring the climactic battle on the Ark, was nothing short of astounding to look at, and we finally got the chance to have Prime and Megatron square off against one another.  Playing as Grimlock in his dinosaur form was incredible fun - seriously, how many other games allowed you to play as a freakin' mechanical Tyrannosaurus Rex?!  (Rise of the Dark Spark doesn't count; it hadn't been released at this point) :P

Multiplayer was also much improved from the first game.  I had fond memories of playing Conquest and Escalation from the WFC days, and this was also where I spent much of my MP time in FOC.  Capture The Flag was also fun, though I wasn't so keen on the Headhunter mode.  I spent a lot of time playing with a couple of friends, and we all had good fun levelling up and working towards the assorted trophies.  Definitely one of my favourite MP games thus far.

Escalation only had four maps (two for each faction) and each character has specific abilities that are there in all four escalation forms. One character in each map has an ammo beacon, one can heal, etc. Yes, the difficulty does increase rather quickly, but it's like once you beat all four maps, there's no reason to even play it again. The farthest I made it in WFC's escalation was wave 37 and that's only because I froze.

I disagree here.  Why would there be no reason to ever play a map again after you've beaten it?  That's the kind of thing you expect to hear from someone who's only playing a game for its trophies.  What happened to playing maps or game modes simply because you like them?  If you dislike Escalation then that's fair enough, but it's kind of harsh to write a map off once you've earned its respective trophy.  I believe I played through each map 5 or 6 times during my MP run.

If I had to nitpick at a couple of things in FOC, I'd probably say that i thought the cutscene graphics looked a little rough in some places; kind of blurred at times, and not as crisp at they were at other times.  Also, I preferred Prime's WFC appearance to his appearance in this game, but that's a minor issue, really.  I did miss WFC's Co-Op feature, but overall, the game was truly superb - easily one of my favourite third-person shooters.  It's obvious that HMS put a great deal of love into these games - you can tell that they're fans of the franchise, rather than just a studio who were tasked with making a game based upon a property that they know little about.  There were numerous quotes from the 1986 animated TF movie in both games, which were a nice little touch, and something that most other studios probably wouldn't have done.  Given HMS's evident affection for the franchise, I'm genuinely saddened that a third installment in the series looks unlikely to happen - one can only dream about what could be. :(

It's obvious that HMS put a great deal of love into these games - you can tell that they're fans of the franchise, rather than just a studio who were tasked with making a game based upon a property that they know little about.  There were numerous quotes from the 1986 animated TF movie in both games, which were a nice little touch, and something that most other studios probably wouldn't have done.  Given HMS's evident affection for the franchise, I'm genuinely saddened that a third installment in the series looks unlikely to happen - one can only dream about what could be. :(

Yeah, I count us lucky to have gotten both these games and definitely don't expect anything as good to come out of the Transformers franchise until long after michael bay is dead and forgotten.  UNLESS IDW could get something rolling now that the Combiner Wars toys are presumably upping comic sales.  You never know.