Starlink: Battle For Atlas, upcoming space exploration game from Ubisoft

Noticed there wasn't anything on this game yet, just two posts in unrelated topics (one of the posts was mine).

Starlink: Battle For Atlas is a new game from Ubisoft coming Fall 2018 or later to PS4, Switch and X1.

It's a space exploration game with action-adventure elements. The wiki page and the trailer make it sound like a cross between No Man's Sky done right and Mass Effect. There will be a big story line throughout the game and it will be set within one star system (Atlas) which will be completely explorable, so the scale is smaller than No Man's Sky and as of yet nothing has been said about any procedural generation at all.

It has toys-to-life elements (stuff like Skylanders and Disney Infinity and LEGO Dimensions), but according to Ubisoft the game is completely playable without buying any physical stuff at all, the game will also be available as digital download only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink:_Battle_for_Atlas

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15786836/starlink-battle-for-atlas-ubisoft-nintendo-switch-peripheral-e3-2017

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/starlink_battle_for_atlas_makes_big_promises_for_switch_release_in_2018

Trailer:

Spoiler

Some of the vehicles also look really really cool, I think.

Spoiler

ubisoft-starlink-8947-004.jpg

Seeing as how Ubisoft is doing since Watch_Dogs 2 - reinventing old franchises like Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed, doing weird fun stuff like Mario+Rabbids, I kind of have a lot of trust in this game.

At first I thought it was just another space exploration game, one with added toys-to-life stuff at that, but the way it works for the Switch looks brilliant. Apparently, they made an entirely new controller to put the joycons in and toys on:

Spoiler

ubisoft_starlink_switch_controller.gif

After seeing all the info, I'm getting pretty psyched for the game. Looks like it would be a lot of fun playing with two people in offline co-op. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Edited by Cubone
additional source

I remember seeing it during the Ubisoft E3 presser and that was it, seems cool. The toys-to-life thing didn't really do it for me after playing the first Skylanders game, but who knows, it does look like a more ship focused No Man's Sky and I thoroughly enjoyed that experience.

Edited by Crazy

I've found some extra info in an interview with a producer from Ubisoft, added it to the OP too.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/starlink_battle_for_atlas_makes_big_promises_for_switch_release_in_2018

20 hours ago, Crazy said:

I remember seeing it during the Ubisoft E3 presser and that was it, seems cool. The toys-to-life thing didn't really do it for me after playing the first Skylanders game, but who knows, it does look like a more ship focused No Man's Sky and I thoroughly that experience.

If you're into these kind of games in general; Morphite seems to No Man's Sky with a smaller budget and less bullshit before release (haven't played Morphite myself yet), and Elite Dangerous is a much more realistic take with great graphics and set in our own galaxy. Personally I enjoyed Elite Dangerous a lot and will go back to it once I'm through the new games from October and November.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I think this look really cool, I like the ships. The prize of the starter pack is not high at all, 799 swedish kronor, I dont know what that translate to in euro/dollar since we got these taxes upon taxes in Sweden. Question is what the additional ships will cost, I have not seen any prize on those yet.

In the starter pack for Nintendo Switch, you get Star Fox and can play special missions with him. Doesnt seem like Ps4 get that, which of course is logic, but really sad 

A right, I forgot about this thread.

Reminder for all (including @Crazy) who are not too happy about the toys to life aspect: you can buy the game digitally, cheaper than the physical game, with a bunch of pilots/ships/weapons already added.

Just two more weeks, yay! Luckily I have Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valkyria Chronicles 4 to keep me company until then.

31 minutes ago, Maaden_Swe said:

I think this look really cool, I like the ships. The prize of the starter pack is not high at all, 799 swedish kronor, I dont know what that translate to in euro/dollar since we got these taxes upon taxes in Sweden. Question is what the additional ships will cost, I have not seen any prize on those yet.

In the starter pack for Nintendo Switch, you get Star Fox and can play special missions with him. Doesnt seem like Ps4 get that, which of course is logic, but really sad 

Getting the Arwing with the physical edition on Switch made the game even more awesome to me, and it's the main reason I decided not to go digital once I heard digital would include more pilots/ships/weapons. It isn't even the first Nintendo character crossover Ubisoft has done since the Switch, they did Mario+Rabbids too, also a fun game. Ubisoft is on a roll for me.

Check the Ubi site for prices, the ships cost €20 over here I think.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Maaden_Swe said:

If you search for Starlink at Webhallen, Ginza, Prisjakt, Spelbutiken, Elgiganten or whatever you get the swedish preorder prices, they've been up for months.

The prices are also listed in Ubisofts store.

• Like 1

The design of the ships looks nice. I liked Wing Commander when I was a kid, but I have not played a dogfighting game in a long, long time. I don't know if 2018 me even still likes this.

I guess I need to see what the core gameplay is like. If it's like Lego games where a lot of the combat is just sort of low-grade activity to keep you interested, I'll pass.