Evil within 2 consistent crash issues(Classic mode Chapter 7)

Alesana_1992

Hello guys I just wanna share a good work around to avoid the crash issues that occurs in Chapter 7 when you're on the 2nd painting. 

Patch 1.04 still didn't fix the issue and reinstalling the game also didn't fix it. BTW I experience it 3x in a row but I have work around for you guys if ever you're still experiencing the issue.

1. Ignore Sykes when a horde of mobs trying to kill him. I ignore Sykes because even though I follow the next steps below the game crashes again.

2. Go to Sanctuary hotel as your 1st painting to interact. This one is important because the game always crashes when you go to Devil's tap room first.

3. Go to Devil's tap room for the next painting.

I hope this one helps because when I start doing the steps above I no longer experience the issue.

Edited by Alesana_1992
  • Like 3

I'll add my two cents while we're on the subject. Doing the paintings in either order doesn't matter. If your game is going to crash, it will crash. I don't mean to discredit you or anything but its anecdotal, I've done devils taproom first more than half of my runs playing the game and only crashed there once. 

CH7 and the beginning of 14 (I've actually crashed in CH14 more than ANY other chapter) are problem chapters for the game for some reason, but the game can basically crash anywhere just like any other game. That said, this game does crash more often than your average game which isn't a good thing, and even more so in CH7 for some reason. The paintings, like you said, are hotspots for crashing. If you're playing classic--save BEFORE you do the paintings to avoid having to replay a shit ton of gameplay.

I personally used my saves as follows:

4 before marrow

7 as you enter the new open world area and trigger the paintings quest, go back in to safe room and save

8 before big boss fight 

11 before going into the lab

13 before big firewalk

15 after big boss fight

16 before final boss

Each person will find what works for them, but if there is one thing for certain if you're playing on console SAVE on CH7. It should be the one guaranteed instance of a non negotiable save due to crashing issues. At this point, if your game does crash you are only losing 10-15 minutes redoing CH7 and continuing with the story.

Cheers and GL with the rest of your classic run.

Btw you think it would've been fixed by now since CH7 has a very known crashing issue among the community but devs seem to have buried their head in the sand.

Edited by FearForDignity
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, FearForDignity said:

I'll add my two cents while we're on the subject. Doing the paintings in either order doesn't matter. If your game is going to crash, it will crash. I don't mean to discredit you or anything but its anecdotal, I've done devils taproom first more than half of my runs playing the game and only crashed there once. 

CH7 and the beginning of 14 (I've actually crashed in CH14 more than ANY other chapter) are problem chapters for the game for some reason, but the game can basically crash anywhere just like any other game. That said, this game does crash more often than your average game which isn't a good thing, and even more so in CH7 for some reason. The paintings, like you said, are hotspots for crashing. If you're playing classic--save BEFORE you do the paintings to avoid having to replay a shit ton of gameplay.

I personally used my saves as follows:

4 before marrow

7 as you enter the new open world area and trigger the paintings quest, go back in to safe room and save

8 before big boss fight 

11 before going into the lab

13 before big firewalk

15 after big boss fight

16 before final boss

Each person will find what works for them, but if there is one thing for certain if you're playing on console SAVE on CH7. It should be the one guaranteed instance of a non negotiable save due to crashing issues. At this point, if your game does crash you are only losing 10-15 minutes redoing CH7 and continuing with the story.

Cheers and GL with the rest of your classic run.

Btw you think it would've been fixed by now since CH7 has a very known crashing issue among the community but devs seem to have buried their head in the sand.

Thanks for the in depth info that you provided I'll keep that in mind :)

I finish my classic run a while ago and luckily for me my game didn't crash on other chapters, I'm also has a doubt on doing the shooting gallery because on my survival run before my game crashes twice on it.

I just don't know why the issue is not fixed by the latest patch.

Guys, thank you for the infos. I crashed at CH7 too on Classic, I'm glad that I chose to save at the begining of the chapter, not just before Bob Ross. With these crash riports... man, this will be harder than Dead Space 2 ?

My method was: 1. Saved Sykes, 2. Hotel, 3. Bar  =  Crash after I killed the clicker.

So I'll try Alesana's method  (poor Sykes, not even 25% chance XD) with no internet connection and save before Bob Ross following Fear's saving plan.
Pff and I was planning to max out the shooting galery at the end of a section before saving, but in the light of the recent events, hell no. I have enough grass and gunpowder, thank you xD

I'll comment the results.

Edited by N7_Wesker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, N7_Wesker said:

Guys, thank you for the infos. I crashed at CH7 too on Classic, I'm glad that I chose to save at the begining of the chapter, not just before Bob Ross. With these crash riports... man, this will be harder than Dead Space 2 1f629.png

My method was: 1. Saved Sykes, 2. Hotel, 3. Bar  =  Crash after I killed the clicker.

So I'll try Alesana's method  (poor Sykes, not even 25% chance XD) with no internet connection and save before Bob Ross following Fear's saving plan.
Pff and I was planning to max out the shooting galery at the end of a section before saving, but in the light of the recent events, hell no. I have enough grass and gunpowder, thank you xD

I'll comment the results.

I'm hoping that it will also works to you the one that I did :)

The game is really great but the crash issues is too annoying.

• Like 1

On 2018. 03. 09. at 11:50 AM, Alesana_1992 said:

Hello guys I just wanna share a good work around to avoid the crash issues that occurs in Chapter 7 when you're on the 2nd painting. 

Patch 1.04 still didn't fix the issue and reinstalling the game also didn't fix it. BTW I experience it 3x in a row but I have work around for you guys if ever you're still experiencing the issue.

1. Ignore Sykes when a horde of mobs trying to kill him. I ignore Sykes because even though I follow the next steps below the game crashes again.

2. Go to Sanctuary hotel as your 1st painting to interact. This one is important because the game always crashes when you go to Devil's tap room first.

3. Go to Devil's tap room for the next painting.

I hope this one helps because when I start doing the steps above I no longer experience the issue.

I can confirm Alesana's method. Worked for me on the first try, no crash. I even managed to grab the 3 statues, and the shotgun pouch under the clicker. At the bar, I ran through the enemies and shot a smoke at the door. Skipped all dialogues, and just to be sure, I turned off the internet connection, and turned off the PS for 15 minutes before the try.

Good luck, the rest of the game will be cake ;)

17 hours ago, N7_Wesker said:

I can confirm Alesana's method. Worked for me on the first try, no crash. I even managed to grab the 3 statues, and the shotgun pouch under the clicker. At the bar, I ran through the enemies and shot a smoke at the door. Skipped all dialogues, and just to be sure, I turned off the internet connection, and turned off the PS for 15 minutes before the try.

Good luck, the rest of the game will be cake ;)

Well I'm glad that my work around work for you and good luck to your classic run :)

The only trophy left for me is Power house trophy I'm hoping you'll get the plat soon as well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was recently going through the game on classic mode and I'm glad I found this forum, cause this issue is still going on in chapter 7. I crashed at least 5x times before I did the method that was suggested here. I'm glad that they enable the cheats for this, cause this would make me rage quit the game. 

It's a shame that this problem still occurs and leaves a pretty sour taste on the experience.

• 6 months later...

I finished the classic mode today and luckily, I didn't have any crashes during the whole playthrough. I played the game with the last patch 1.05.

During the chapter 7, I did these steps :

1. Trigger the man mission with the paintings to find and go back to the safe room and make a save file.
  2. Complete the side mission from Sykes by rescuing him. 
  3. Go to Sanctuary hotel as your first painting to interact.
  4. Go to Devil's taproom for the second and last painting.

Maybe the last patch fixed this issue but can't be sure at 100% guys.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is 4 years old now but I wanted to thank you for it. I was experiencing the constant crash with the paintings section and had given up on the last trophy I needed for Platinum. Following your advice directly got me past the crash and I just finished Classic Mode and got Platinum. 

• 9 months later...

Playing on PS5 and no crashes for me yet, but I fell through the textures 3 times in different areas (chapter 4 marrow, chapter 6 marrow and chapter 7 shopping district), got stuck in an animation 2 times (getting out of the warehouse, Seb just kept walking and the cutscene never started) and got stuck in a slide-watching menu twice. Two of those were in Classic after 3 and 5 hours without saving. I did Classic twice on Xbox and PC previously already and I have nothing to prove to myself, so I think I might just go with cheats for the PlayStation version, because it's getting frustrating. Both PC and Xbox versions are also super glitchy by the way, but I never fell through textures there. I love this game, not as much as the original The Evil Within, but quite a lot. I just wish it wasn't such a buggy mess.

Edit: So yeah, after playing for a few hours with the cheats I decided it's decidedly not fun that way for me. Just gonna switch them off and hope the game doesn't glitch again.

Edited by ShaNagbaImuru777

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2022 at 9:47 PM, greyestfox said:

I know this thread is 4 years old now but I wanted to thank you for it. I was experiencing the constant crash with the paintings section and had given up on the last trophy I needed for Platinum. Following your advice directly got me past the crash and I just finished Classic Mode and got Platinum. 

For some reason I just check this post after 6 years, I'm really glad that my work around works for you. Happy gaming 😊