Crakes

Celesteela

Does anyone have any advice for how to get these stupid birds to spawn? I've seen a few videos on Youtube about supposed 100% spawn rate methods, but they work about as well as can be expected. Given that crowns have increased spawn chances with certain conditions, I figured that these things can't be entirely RNG. There has to be some kind of trick to it, or at least a way to increase the odds in your favour. Anyone got any theories/tips they could share?

...be very aggravating if I couldn't get the plat because of these things after going through all that hell for crowns, lol.

Did it take you a long time doing that? At least with crowns there was some variety to it, and a limited way to manipulate things...I'd argue that this is far worse for the monotony and complete randomness of it, if nothing you can do makes a difference.

Really, all this RNG is ridiculous...

Do you have to go back to Astera to reset the maps, or can you just hop between areas? Loading times are a real pain for this...

Wait, will these things even spawn if you haven't done the questline that leads to you being asked to get them?

Edited by Celesteela

They can spawn with or without the questline. Going back to Astera is not required to reset spawns, it’s the fastest to switch between two maps that have good chances of spawning them.

Best to look up the best routes online, this stuff was still pretty unoptimized when i did it.

Edited by Happy

What were crakes again? Those birds on the dinos?

I noticed that sometimes they will spawn, even if they haven't spawned the first time you look after reloading the map. The time I got them, I ran away from the dinos until I didnt see then and came back after 20sec, suddenly they had spawned...

The fish spawned on me 4+ times when I was searching for the bird on pig, that one was the hardest

I've tried literally everything suggested online - every time of day, every strategy of following them or avoiding them for a while, staying still ahead of them, and I haven't seen a single one. It's extremely demoralising to come this far with the game and have this roadblock thrown up in my face...

It took me several hours over a week before I got them. If you're still missing the fish, then going back and forth from Rotten Vale Area, Elder's Recess, and the Wastes helps a bit. How I got it was I used the Ghillie Mantle went up to the dinosaurs (where the rabbits are), turned my camera towards the rabbits/rocks then turned the camera back towards the dinos. 

They were on top of the dinos where they weren't seconds before. 

I just got the Downy Crake.. I found a tip online that said if you wait in the campsite for around 60-90 seconds after arriving you're more likely to find one as they won't spawn in right away a lot of the time or while you're looking at the monsters.. Sure enough after my 3rd time entering Ancient Forest I waited for 90 seconds, went outside and found them.

On 10 March 2018 at 11:58 PM, Celesteela said:

I've spent about 5 hours today doing this so far and I've not seen either crake, or that rare fish either. This is much, MUCH worse than crowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAQOle7jiw&t=1s

This is what worked for me in the end after trying powerpyx's method for like 1hr+. This got me the crake first try. As for fish i got it within the first few tries at elders recess. Rotten Vale did not work for me