The Shining might get a prequel...

PartyInMyPants_

I'm not sure what to think of this...

From IGN:

Former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara is in talks to write the prequel to Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, which of course was based on the Stephen King novel of the same name.
Called The Overlook Hotel, the film is being developed at Warner Bros. and is not to be confused with King's in-the-works sequel Doctor Sleep. Deadline has the report on Mazzara, who parted ways with AMC and The Walking Dead back in December for… some reason.

Former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara in talks for shining prequel

From Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: Glen Mazzara, who ran AMC’s smash hit series The Walking Dead for the past several seasons, will now focus on ghosts. He’s in talks to write The Overlook Hotel, a prequel to the Stanley Kubrick-directed The Shining, based on the Stephen King novel. The film is being developed at Warner Bros to be produced by Mythology Entertainment’s Bradley Fischer, James Vanderbilt and Laeta Kalogridis.

While King wasn’t crazy about the Kubrick movie, there are so many iconic images in that movie, and an outsized performance by Jack Nicholson, that this will be a tough act to follow. Mazzara is an interesting choice. He succeeded Frank Darabont on The Walking Dead, and while it seemed he clashed with graphic novel creator Robert Kirkman — he was dropped as showrunner in December — I think he did a fabulous job in moving forward and giving context to what Darabont started. I’ve never seen a series quite like it, and there are plenty of ghostly nuggets from the formative days of that haunted hotel that were dropped in the book and the Kubrick movie that make me eager to see what Mazzara does with this prequel.King, of course, has completed Doctor Sleep, a sequel to his The Shining novel that focuses on an adult Danny Torrance (the Redrum kid). Can’t get enough of this stuff. Mazzara is repped by CAA.

Walking Dead's Glen Mazzara set to write The Shining prequel

From Entertainment Weekly:

Warner Bros. has been exploring the possibility of a movie prequel to The Shining for quite a while, but the project just got a jolt of new life with news that The Walking Dead‘s former showrunner Glen Mazzara is in talks to write it.
But does the studio that released Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 adaptation have the rights to move forward? That’s a question the studio wasn’t able to answer definitively when EW asked last summer, and Stephen King himself recently expressed doubts.
At issue is whether the studio owns the rights to a section documenting the bloody early history of the haunted Overlook Hotel, which was cut from the 1977 novel. When film rights to a book are sold, it’s common for notes, deleted sections, and early edits to be included in the deal. But it has been a long time, and it’s no longer certain who owns what. The author himself doesn’t object to a prequel on creative grounds, but isn’t sure they still own the rights.
Here’s what King told us in an interview about Doctor Sleep, The Shining sequel he’ll publish in September:
A studio source said that Warner Bros. is confident it has the rights to a prequel to The Shining. Mazzara’s camp at CAA did not immediately return a request for comment, but the source also confirmed those talks were ongoing. Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline broke the news of his potential involvement.
"There’s a real question about whether or not they have the rights to ‘Before the Play,’ which was the prologue cut from the book — because the epilogue to the book was called ‘After the Play.’ So they were bookends, and there was really scary stuff in that prologue that wouldn’t make a bad movie. Am I eager to see that happen? No I am not. And there’s some real question about what rights Warner Bros. does still have. The Shining is such an old book now that the copyright comes back to me. Arguably, the film rights lapse — so we’ll see. We’re looking into that."
Mazzara, who took over the AMC zombie drama after Frank Darabont left two seasons ago, stunned fans when he revealed he would not return to The Walking Dead for its fourth season. But it’s not entirely clear that The Shining is where he’ll be headed next.
How does King feel about the possibility of a Shining prequel made without his involvement? The way he tells it, he’s not quite determined to kill it, though he’s certainly not a fan of the concept:
"I’m not saying I would put a stop to the project, because I’m sort of a nice guy. When I was a kid, my mother said, ‘Stephen if you were a girl, you’d always be pregnant.’ I have a tendency to let people develop things. I’m always curious to see what will happen. But you know what? I would be just as happy if it didn’t happen."

The Shining prequel