Trophies Keeping Indie Studios Afloat

Apparently there are enough trophy hunters to keep indie studios running. Not sure about I feel about this. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-29-games-with-easy-trophies-help-indie-studios-get-the-funding-needed-for-future-projects

I've only ever bought one game for trophies (Mayo) and will never do it again (although I may autopop Sound Shapes - because it's free and why not lol. 

You make this sound way more positive than it actually is. At the end of the day, if an indie studio is incapable of making a decent video game, it doesn't deserve to "stay afloat". He knew the game was terrible and that nobody was going to buy it, so he decided to take advantage of trophy hunters instead. I don't even blame the guy, but I do think it's ridiculous how Sony allows this kind of thing to happen.

Another interesting thing that came to light from this whole thing is just how easy it is for a developer to get a platinum trophy in their game these days. Here's a quote from Kotaku's original article:

Al-Ghanim explained the only requirement to get a platinum trophy into his game was including a certain number of other, lesser trophies. Bronze, silver, and gold, each intended to correspond to the level of difficulty involved in earning them, have a point value, and once a certain threshold is crossed the game is eligible for a platinum trophy. Al-Ghanim’s game has 22 total, all of which are unlocked simply by progressing through the game.

I knew the requirements for a developer getting a platinum trophy in their game was quite low, but I didn't think it would be that easy. I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing a lot more hack developers try this in the future. Why put effort into making a good game when you can just make an easy trophy list instead? I hope everyone who buys these kinds of games knows the impact of their actions...

• Like 3

everyone need to start small, so if developers do it this way to get some extra funds them maybe there next game will be better if the have the funds, some people dont have the money to make a triple a game from the start so they find ways to make money like kickstarter or with easy trophies and in the end the trophy hunters are happy and the developers to

• Like 1

It really does seem to be getting out of hand when Sony is approving games that wouldn't make it anywhere else except maybe some free sharing site. What makes it worse than the absolute contempt the developers have for gamers is the fact that we continue to reinforce the notion and allow ourselves to be exploited. Is it really such an achievement to get a plat when you literally did nothing?

• Like 1