Horror, confined to one mindset or boundary ?

BSAA_Advisor

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is horror confined to one mindset ? Or can it be applied in multiple ways ?

• Yes. It is something that is sort of confined to one set mind set. (Zombies/B.O.W.s unpredictable, dark lighting, etc)
    • No. Horror can be applied to multiple mindsets. (breaks this boundaries and can be applied to more than what horror was)
    • Both.

Seeing as everyone is nagging about RE5 and 6 not having a shred of the old fashioned horror, this prompted me to investigate, what others thought. I personally think horror is not confined to one mindset or boundary. But I want to see your opinions. So fire away. :)

Does it break the boundaries of old or is and always shall be confined to an older way of thinking ?

To help you, get a better understanding of what I'm asking.

Edited by BSAA_Operative

Could you explain a little more about the two different options? I'd love to weigh in but I'm not fully understanding what you've said... sort of vague.

Sorry about being so vague, what I mean is. Is horror confined to tank controls and zombies/B.O.W.s being virtually unpredictable, dark lighting, etc. or can it be applied to other aspects in games that are generally overlooked.

That better ?

Yes,It's true that horror is not confined to one mindset or boundary but RE 6 is not modern horror either! The problem of RE6 is not about not being old fashioned. AS RE 5:Lost in nightmares was modern horror and I really enjoyed that! Even silent hill Downpour scared me at some points.  

PS:I can't wait till Evil Within release  :wub: 

Yes,It's true that horror is not confined to one mindset or boundary but RE 6 is not modern horror either! The problem of RE6 is not about not being old fashioned. AS RE 5:Lost in nightmares was modern horror and I really enjoyed that! Even silent hill Downpour scared me at some points.  

PS:I can't wait till Evil Within release  :wub: 

You can argue that but the true question is, What is modern horror ? To say RE6 is not and Lost In Nightmares is, when they do carry similar things. (Dim lit corridors, enemies that are virtually unstoppable, etc.)

I have a question myself. What games do you guys consider to be modern day horror games? I personally feel a lot of the older "horror" games are only considered as such only because, or at least in large part due to their awful controls. It seems when Resident Evil actually became decent to control it lost its horror touch, but when it is a chore just to move your character around the games get praised for it.

I'll admit right off that I am not a huge horror game fan so my opinions are basically just based on my experience with the Resident Evil games.

Parker

I have a question myself. What games do you guys consider to be modern day horror games? I personally feel a lot of the older "horror" games are only considered as such only because, or at least in large part due to their awful controls. It seems when Resident Evil actually became decent to control it lost its horror touch, but when it is a chore just to move your character around the games get praised for it.

I'll admit right off that I am not a huge horror game fan so my opinions are basically just based on my experience with the Resident Evil games.

Parker

I do not confine horror to one series or game in particular, RE5 and 6 were more there as an example if anything. I personally think horror has evolved in many games but this is more about your opinion.

Does that help ?

RE 6 mostly was in crowded places(except for Ada's scenario) while RE5:LIN was in the Spencer's creepy manner. Unlike RE6 you were carrying a few equipment in LIN.

Some other things can not be explained easily,for example we had enemies armed with chainsaw in 4.5,6. in 4 they were scary as hell! in 5 they were scary a bit and in 6 they weren't scary at all!They couldn't implement the idea as well as master Mikami.

RE 6 mostly was in crowded places(except for Ada's scenario) while RE5:LIN was in the Spencer's creepy manner. Unlike RE6 you were carrying a few equipment in LIN.

Some other things can not be explained easily,for example we had enemies armed with chainsaw in 4.5,6. in 4 they were scary as hell! in 5 they were scary a bit and in 6 they weren't scary at all!They couldn't implement the idea as well as master Mikami.

As much as I would love to outright agree. (Note: I value your opinion as much as any others) The staple of RE has never been horror itself, the Viruses have and will continue to be. Therefore, I think REs Modern Horror has evolved as it has conveyed viruses well. (I could pull up another Dev Diary if you like xD)

Edited by BSAA_Operative

Parker

I can see why one would call the controls of those older games "awful", but I don't personally think that its a fair descriptor, and I'll tell you why I think so. What it boils down to is that the "awful controls" were done intentionally. It makes it much more difficult to maneuver around when the controls are slow and sluggish, and you have to fumble around with the menus to get what you need. Its this element that made RE4 so powerful in terms of the horror element. If you were in Leon's position, you'd have to fumble through your pockets to get the right kind of ammo, to get the herb you need (I know an herb really wouldn't heal you, but that facet of realism is not important here).

And one of the most surprising things to me, is that RE5 DID NOT stray from these restrictive controls. That part of the experience was still present, but what had changed was the amount of cutscenes, button press sequences, and in-your-face action that had generally been missing (for the better) from RE4.

As for your question, I would just consider a modern day horror game as a game that is filled with action and shoot-em-up sequences, and one that really lacks the atmosphere provided by older horror games.

We're just talking about "horror'' games here?

Then, as open minded as I like to think of myself, yes. It is a genre, more than a statement.  If I were organizing a DVD collection by genre, I couldn't very well put Best of Fox News next to Carrie. No matter how sick and horrified it may make me, it's not of the Horror genre, while Carrie might not be "scary" to me, it's purpose is to horrify you, make you feel vulnerable on some level. Carrie lives up to the promise of the genre, and is rooted in thematic bedrock.

So in a way, I voted against your defense of RE5-6, but also argued your point. They are Horror. They deliver the promised content of that genre, in danger and monsters, and have earned their Horror badge. They didn't really break any boundaries, they just changed the content within.

If we were referring to a more vague concept of being afraid, then I'd say it is a more transcendent study then we could ever completely come to terms with...

Edited by siuilarun

We're just talking about games here?

Then, as open minded as I like to think of myself, yes. It is a genre, more than a statement.  If I were organizing a DVD collection by genre, I couldn't very well put Best of Fox News next to Carrie. No matter how sick and horrified it may make me, it's not of the Horror genre, while Carrie might not be "scary" to me, it's purpose is to horrify you, make you feel vulnerable on some level. Carrie lives up to the promise of the genre, and is rooted in thematic bedrock.

So in a way, I voted against your defense of RE5-6, but also argued your point. They are Horror. They deliver the promised content of that genre, in danger and monsters, and have earned their Horror badge. They didn't really break any boundaries, they just changed the content within.

If I may recommend, take a look at the links I just posted. To see if you still think the same. I'm in no way trying to change your opinion, just trying to clarify. ok. :)

Edited by BSAA_Operative

Here's my two cents:

Horror has become less horrific and less surprising because quite simply there's only so many times you can expose something to someone before it stops scaring them. In other words, it's been done before and the reason the earlier games are considered "scarier" is because there wasn't anything like them on the market at the time. For example, whenever you watch a scary movie the first time of watching is always the scariest; any subsequent viewings aren't as scary as your brain can predict what is coming. Also, if that movie has a sequel it'll have to find new ways to trick or frighten the viewers' brains, as they'll have knowledge and a sense of clairvoyance from their experience of the first movie. 

Resident Evil's "horror" has not only diminished over the course of time, but any venture it's had into horror is wholly predictable. The player knows when the scares are coming, which in turn makes it not that scary.