Any good?

MMDE

This indie game reminded me about space invader, but it's a twin stick shooter where you can actually move around while you shoot.

The game has a story and an economy. You basically fly from space station to space station, doing missions, getting various resources you can trade and exchange on the "market". The economy is really broken and it doesn't take long for you to buy the best equipment for your ship and from there the game is a total joke in terms of difficulty. The story line is 40 quests, and each quest takes like 1-3 flights. The flights gets very repetitive with the same few patterns of enemies and the same few reused enemies. Often the patterns is just 30+ of the same enemy coming from the same direction, and with the best equipment one hit will often take it out.

The game also has some technical issues. Often after some extra strong enemy there is a long period of nothing happening, and I'm talking like it can be up to like 1-2 minutes of nothing, before the flight finally finish. Sometimes after a flight the game can just stop responding, and you'll have to quit the game and it won't have saved your last flight. Personally, I think it messed up the story quests for me. I followed a guide for shortest paths, but at some point it didn't make progress, and later I got a trophy for quest 30 and 32 at the same time. I think this might have been due to unresponsive after some flight, so it saved some progress or something. Navigating the menu was horrendous. It's not optimized for PS4 at all, definitely meant for mouse. Just navigating the buttons or menu elements was bad enough, but the normal "increase amount" to buy/sell was the worst I've ever seen. They got the good idea that you can change between how much you increase by each time you try to increase/decrease, like if it's going to be by 1/10/100/1000, but actually increasing and decreasing went way too fast. No way you would successfully do "1" increase if you wanted that. Also, just buying stuff meant you had to first be able to select the item you wanted to buy, which was horrible, and then it would go to your shopping cart, and that's when you can finally buy it. Later you also gotta equip it. The trophy guide is also way off when it says you gotta use all your money after each flight, because you will lose them after you next flight. This must have been patched, as it was an issue reported and fixed on steam too. Basically, the developer was so inept they set the money you earned to be your total money instead of adding the money you earned to the total. The end of a flight screen is just off. It will say you killed all enemies even when you haven't. It will say you've played for some completely random amount of time which makes no sense.

The most difficult thing in the game is getting to round 15 in the arcade mode, but the difficult part is actually just getting to like round 6 or 7 or so, where you should be able to have bought the best equipment. From there it's piss easy.

Is it worth getting this game? Not really, but it's a pretty cheap game and a not too difficult platinum, but it's way too repetitive. Not only do you need to do like 100 flights in the story mode, which is boring after like 15 flights, you still gotta grind down 100k enemy kills, which is another 50 flights. -_- The game could have been so much better, but felt like a prototype of a game that could have been pretty good.

• Like 3

don't even get me started on the menu ui, that made me rage so bad trying to get to 1 option would require many failed inputs to reach it.

it may also be worth noting that the devs seemed to pull a dick move by locking it to the acc it was bought on, as i attempted to play it on an alt acc b4 hand to see if it was any good but couldn't get past the main menu.

luckily at the end of the day this was one title i got with plus so at least i didn't spend anything on it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Leenewbe said:

don't even get me started on the menu ui, that made me rage so bad trying to get to 1 option would require many failed inputs to reach it.

it may also be worth noting that the devs seemed to pull a dick move by locking it to the acc it was bought on, as i attempted to play it on an alt acc b4 hand to see if it was any good but couldn't get past the main menu.

luckily at the end of the day this was one title i got with plus so at least i didn't spend anything on it.

You got it with plus? I paid some few bucks for it, like 3USD or something.

Edited by MMDE

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This game is a janky mess. I've never seen such awful menu interface, even for an indie game. The game play itself is pretty straight forward but buying stuff in the shops or navigating the different space ports is total nonsense. Dont even get me started on the resource exchange thing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi. Just started playing this weak title and encountered a massive slowdown when there's a big amount of shooting enemies. The FPS drops to like 1 (not kidding!) Is this normal for this game? I had such incident twice, once with boss and his minions and second time with a big wave of aliens/ships. Shooting them down slowly brings back the normal speed of the game. Looking at the basic gameplay of this title it shouldn't even happen but it does and boy is it frustrating. Hopefully it won't bring me too much trouble while getting the plat.

Edited by The-Smiths-85
T9 corrections.

On 2/27/2021 at 0:56 AM, The-Smiths-85 said:

Hi. Just started playing this weak title and encountered a massive slowdown when there's a big amount of shooting enemies. The FPS drops to like 1 (not kidding!) Is this normal for this game? I had such incident twice, once with boss and his minions and second time with a big wave of aliens/ships. Shooting them down slowly brings back the normal speed of the game. Looking at the basic gameplay of this title it shouldn't even happen but it does and boy is it frustrating. Hopefully it won't bring me too much trouble while getting the plat.

You'll get the plat just fine. The most difficult part is the arcade mode or whatever, but as long as you get through the first part and get the right upgrades, it shouldn't be difficult. It does get repetitive though. What I said about arcade mode does apply to story too, but it's not just "one go" at it.

Edited by MMDE

17 hours ago, MMDE said:

You'll get the plat just fine. The most difficult part is the arcade mode or whatever, but as long as you get through the first part and get the right upgrades, it shouldn't be difficult. It does get repetitive though. What I said about arcade mode does apply to store too, but it's not just "one go" at it.

I'm fine with the difficulty itself. My question was about the occasional slowdowns but seeing how many people have the plat I guess it's not that bad. Thanks for the reply.

8 hours ago, The-Smiths-85 said:

I'm fine with the difficulty itself. My question was about the occasional slowdowns but seeing how many people have the plat I guess it's not that bad. Thanks for the reply.

Eh, I can barely remember the slowdowns now, but I suppose there were some in heavy scenes. Quite typical for many shooters, depending on how they are written. Games like this have physics written by the devs themselves, who may or may not know how to optimize it correctly. However, for games like this, it's better with slowdowns than skipping frames.

Reminds me, games like this are super impressive for the nes (both music and physics optimization, it's even the first bullet hell game):

Edited by MMDE

12 hours ago, MMDE said:

Eh, I can barely remember the slowdowns now, but I suppose there were some in heavy scenes. Quite typical for many shooters, depending on how they are written. Games like this have physics written by the devs themselves, who may or may not know how to optimize it correctly. However, for games like this, it's better with slowdowns than skipping frames.

Reminds me, games like this are super impressive for the nes (both music and physics optimization, it's even the first bullet hell game):

They are fine for the NES, but this is PS4 =) 1 FPS is just unplayable. The boredom kicks in after some time and it can literally get you killed in Zotrix because you stop focusing/caring. Therefore when I lost all of my lives the game has crashed and so did my console. So for the future platinum hunters - you've been warned. The game's technical problems are quite serious.