Tips and tricks for Gulp bossfight

Flex_Da_Brent

I struggled to get the trophy and skill point on Gulp for quite a while but I managed to found a tactic that makes it actually reasonably simple. I'm aware that these tips might be a bit obvious or that there maybe are even better tactics out there, but I actually noticed that a lot of people I know are having a lot of trouble to get the trophy and the skill point for this fight so I decided to share my tactics.

So for everyone having trouble with this as well, here are some TIPS and TRICKS in order to take no damage from Gulp:

1) Avoiding his basic attacks: * for his LEAP attack: stand still and let him come to you, only start dashing away to the side right when he is about to jump on you. Do NOT let him chase you cause his jump can sometimes have a weird long range on it.

* for his CANNONS: stand right in front of Gulp and start walking left (or right) untill he shoots and then quickly alternate direction to the right (or left) as soon as he fired his first shot. Repeat this process after every shot. This also works well when he shoots 4 or even 6 times, even though you might get unlucky if your timing is a bit off.

2) Hit him multipe times at once: every time you hit Gulp he will jump and his landing will cause all available weapons or eggs to be destroyed, however, a rocket missile that is already in Spyros mouth will not get destroyed. Abuse this mechanic to take away 2 hit points at once by swallowing a missile and then moving to a barrel. Use the barrel on him first and shoot the missile afterwards. Or when there are 2 missiles available, pick one up and move to the second one so you can pick it up fast after you shot the first missile. Bombs will be harder to combine but you might get lucky to pick up a missile during the time it takes for the bomb to explode.

3) Do not let him pick up any weapons: Gulp's attacks from the weapons are the most difficult ones to avoid imo. Make sure to always get close to an egg as soon as they drop and use whatever is inside quickly, if it is a rocket you can try to go for the tactic of hitting him twice, but make sure to shoot him as soon as he starts moving to a weapon.

4) Do also keep in mind that as long as you dont get hit yourself, there will never come fodder out of the eggs. It is recommended that, when going for the trophy, you also make sure not to get hit since Gulp will use the fodder to heal himself, which can easily restore 3 or 4 of his hitpoints. If you get hit early on in the fight, exit the level and replenish your health or just kill yourself in the lava.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

Or you could do that yes xD There are probably some people out there who rather earn the trophy and skill point the hard way I guess so let's hope these tips will help them out :3

Oh don't worry, I tried doing it the normal way, got frustrated too much, so I left it be and once I obtained the superflame, I was like "What if..." and went back and did it that way xD

9 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Oh don't worry, I tried doing it the normal way, got frustrated too much, so I left it be and once I obtained the superflame, I was like "What if..." and went back and did it that way xD

Yeah the frustration was really hard in this one. I tried to fight him like I did in the old game but they made him way more difficult this time around. I do like the fact though that there is an easy way to get this trophy with the superflame, thereby giving the player basically a choice on how they want do this. Providing those who like a challenge with a tough one in an otherwise very easy game, but actually not forcing anyyone to overcome this challenge by providing an alternative method. Clever game and trophy design, if it was intentional of course.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

TBH I had quite a few problems when I attempted the Gulp-fight yesterday. Like you mentioned, his leap had a weird range sometimes and I also made the mistake to run too far on the outside of the arena which caused me to bump into the boundary sometimes. :facepalm: 

Luckily I got the Conservationist 2-trophy without even trying. Now I just have to earn the Skill Point, but only after getting the Superflame. :D