Alice Asylum Patreon

BG_painter

Well yeah, but the way I see it is that the idea behind Patreon is that you donate small amounts of money over a long period of time instead of a one time investment. A game, even if it takes a few years to complete, needs a large sum to even start its developing phase. I think Kickstarter or similar services are better for these things because it gives you an opportunity to find a lot of investors in a short amount of time. And you can still have people support you over the years after the campaign has ended. Star Citizen is probably the best case scenario but even companies like Larian Studios, they created the Divinity games, used PayPal to generate a steady cashflow after they used a crowdfunding campaign.

I also don't think people sometimes really understand what crowdfunding means. Instead realizing that this is an investment, and like all investments they come with risks, people seem to think think that this is just another way to buy something.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:27 AM, Durandal said:

Why does this make him an idiot? Socially awkward maybe but not idiotic. I would understand this sentiment if he had done something awful during development or he would just be terrible to work with but all you do is commenting on his social behavior.

I think you did not read the whole conversation where I said, that this is the opinion in the community, I do not know WHY the community has this opinion... and THEN I said, All I can say is that I recently watched a live stream.

Please don't missunderstand that, I am social awkward myself, I have asperger and wouldn't judge only based on social behaviour, but I didn't only comment his behaviour but also what he said ("facts") and played, what also was cringeworthy and had nothing to do with being socially awkward. he was not able to aswer questions that were asked bc he was not prepared and had nothing to say which isn't a good sign when you make a livestream about your plans for a new game.

what he did was talking about his plans to apply with his plans and named companies he wanted to get involved which I think wasn't a good idea either.

@AiManiaTrophyhunting

Actually I did read your posts and most of the others in the thread. I haven't read anything about him or watched any streams. I am just a bit irritated by the sentiment I guess. Sure he makes a poor case when he presented his idea and he probably is not good with this whole marketing stuff.  So I agree with you that he didn't help his game or even himself. But calling him or his behavior idiot or idiotic seems a bit harsh, don't you think? Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, I am not even defending him, like I said I am more irritated by all this.

Edited by Durandal

This thread is still going, huh?

I guess I should explain my stance. I have no doubt that American McGee is a smart guy, so "idiot" might not be a good description of him (I didn't use that word, BTW). My problem is that he seems to half-ass his ideas on things. I remember reading no end to the paeans of praise for Alice, but that game was half-assed in the extreme. I personally enjoyed Madness Returns, but I always felt that the game was good in spite of his contribution. 

He reminds me somewhat of Yuan Shao's description in RTK. McGee seems quite fond of grandiose plans and designs, but I have no faith that he's able to carry them out in any way, shape or form without significant help. Listening to him and reading him, he's an undisciplined thinker, a dreamer without the grounding necessary to make anything of those dreams.

I have no doubt that we'll see another game from him. However, if he's the main engine of creation, it will probably be a buggy, unplayable mess that's praised by the legion of fanboys who contributed to its creation.

• Like 1