Jim Ryan to take over as Sony CEO April 1st

SnowxSakura

6 hours ago, cris3f said:

Just saw this. As usual the CEO is one of the biggest morons in all companies, he's just there due to his connections (yep unfortunately this doesn't happen only in the mob) and to pocket a few millions in stock options. To be honest I doubt that anyone on the top management of Sony has the slightest idea what a console is. Hum, or perhaps they've seen some boxes for sale in some places saying that it's a console and they figure, with some difficulty, that's how they fill their pockets.

Top management at a company aren't expected to know the nuances of a product, only to manage the people in charge of selling that product. The CEO is the CEO because they know how to properly allocate personal and resources of the company to where they're needed. Not all are hired to raise the  company profile, some are brought to fix the mess of the last CEO or to manage a new transition for the company. We don't know why Ryan is being brought in and we likely never will. I pray he's doesn't mess with a good thing but I'm not going to be a doomsayer because of an old quote. If you're worried about anyone, be worried about the Sony president, not the SIE CEO

14 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

Do you even play video games or are you just that bias? Watch any interview where game developers are speaking on the industry as a whole and almost all of them say the same thing, that the industry has came a long way and that games have evolved. Some of the highest rated games of all time came out this generation wether it's indie or triple A so your argument that all PS4 games are shit is invalid. If industry veterans and developers alike all agree that games have evolved I don't understand why everyone on this thread is in denial over a simple fact, games today are much more advanced. That's not a matter of opinion it's a fact. 

"On PS4 games this is quite usual. ".  This doesn't translate to all, there's a striking difference.

I've been playing games for many years. Really many. The underlying hardware has evolved tremendously, that's a fact. But again that doesn't translate to fun.  Do industry veterans and developers see that either? These and other games are generally considered the most fun of all times. And I would doubt current developers would say their games are uninteresting anyway. We'll see how many of the PS4 games will keep being played and praised in 10 or 15 years. There will be a few, but I think these numbers will not be that big.

13 hours ago, majob said:

Top management at a company aren't expected to know the nuances of a product, only to manage the people in charge of selling that product. The CEO is the CEO because they know how to properly allocate personal and resources of the company to where they're needed. Not all are hired to raise the  company profile, some are brought to fix the mess of the last CEO or to manage a new transition for the company. We don't know why Ryan is being brought in and we likely never will. I pray he's doesn't mess with a good thing but I'm not going to be a doomsayer because of an old quote. If you're worried about anyone, be worried about the Sony president, not the SIE CEO

It does help that he has a glimpse of what the company sells, how and to whom. Yes properly allocate personal and resources of the company to where they're needed it's his job. But if he doesn't have a clue he's going to be lousy at the job. It's not immediate and they can have some success while riding the waves of previous management. This is the usual problem. Yes, Kenichiro Yoshida, is more worrying than Ryan, but the two together... For now they're lucky as their competitor doesn't really have any clue on what to do and how to do it.