Jim Ryan to take over as Sony CEO April 1st

SnowxSakura

6 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I'd love to live in that alternate universe you've stumbled into.

And games like platformers are timeless. Super Mario Bros. 3 feels just as good as it did when it came out.

To me it seems like you just aren't looking properly. Off the top of my head I can give you several titles such as Persona 5, Ys 8, Tales of bersaria, Nier automata, Yakuza 0, Dragon quest 11, Ni no kuni 2, Valkyria chronicles 4, I am setsuna, Nioh, Darksouls 3, Bloodborne and Dragons dogma.

They may not be your traditional JRPG and you may not appreciate the direction the genre has gone in but they certainly have improved and aren't the menu navigation simulator that you claim. 

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I do, as well as all of my other retro consoles

I hope you don't think I'm coming off as bitter or that I'm trying to insult any of you retro gamers. I'm simply saying that those who still put in a ton of hours on those consoles are most likely a very small percentage. 

2 hours ago, olimoo101 said:

I hope that those statements are just his obligatory poor defense

I'd bet that's exactly what those statements were. Did anyone really expect this executive to praise backwards compatibility while his product doesn't have it? Does anyone actually think he will forgo backwards compatibility for the PS5 simply because he doesn't like it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

To me it seems like you just aren't looking properly. Off the top of my head I can give you several titles such as Persona 5, Ys 8, Tales of bersaria, Nier automata, Yakuza 0, Dragon quest 11, Ni no kuni 2, Valkyria chronicles 4, I am setsuna, Nioh, Darksouls 3, Bloodborne and Dragons dogma.

They may not be your traditional JRPG and you may not appreciate the direction the genre has gone in but they certainly have improved and aren't the menu navigation simulator that you claim. 

I hope you don't think I'm coming off as bitter or that I'm trying to insult any of you retro gamers. I'm simply saying that those who still put in a ton of hours on those consoles are most likely a very small percentage. 

https://screenrant.com/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-playtime/

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Logs Over 1 Billion Hours Of Playtime

You'd be amazed at how many people still enjoy playing old games

2 minutes ago, GameOverComesAll said:

I'd bet that's exactly what those statements were. Did anyone really expect this executive to praise backwards compatibility while his product doesn't have it? Does anyone actually think he will forgo backwards compatibility for the PS5 simply because he doesn't like it?

Yes I do, he's the CEO so he makes all the shots now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NaseemJohn said:

I personally think he's right. Games today are so much more advanced i don't see why anyone would want to be playing ps1 or ps2 games for any reason other than nostalgia. 

Well, some game series has turned into shit or degraded. I'm still playing X-Com: Ufo Defense (available on PS1 btw), it's much deeper and scarier than modern XCOMs.

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 is still the best in the series despite that there's like 8 of them.

Need for Speed High Stakes is still the best arcade racing game imo, as later ones were ruined with scores/points and aggressive music.

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

This is such bullshit. People will still rebuy them. People rebuy films for better quality going from VHS > DVD > Bluray > 4K.

Especially with additional trophies they'll always be reason to do a remaster or remake. Plus b/c means you can throw it on PSN to sell digitally, where otherwise you'd make nothing as every sale eventually is going to be from the used market.

Plus, people who love a game will buy it just to support it. I've bought FFVI on almost everything it's ever been on, Super Mario RPG too.

Yeah, remakes and remasters will sell, but lost sale is a lost sale. When Beamdog has released Baldur's Gate 'Enhanced Edition', they made sure to pull the original game from stores to force people into buying new version.

There are quite a few of such examples.

Not a chance on Earth that the PS5 will not be backwards compatible with PS4 at the very least. We are in a different world now from when the PS4 was released. Consumers have invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars into digital libraries. Telling them to give all that up and start again on a new platform would cause an uproar and hand the next generation to Xbox who are making very strong pro consumer moves right now. It doesn't matter if only 5% of the userbase will use backwards compatibility, they cannot ignore it. Not only that but it will destroy their digital marketplace if consumers can not trust that they can keep all of the content they have invested in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

This is such bullshit

Similar to that other bs statement "if the PS5 will be bc, no one will buy PS5 games. Everyone will play their old games only."

Yeah, for sure. Like I'm spending hundreds of €€/$$ on a new system only to solely play last gen games that I could have played on my last gen consoles.

Edited by fastflowdaman
  • Like 2

You guys are reading WAAAY too much into this little executive shuffle. There's thousands of other employees at SIE, that combined influence the direction of PlayStation far more than the CEO's could ever do by themselves.

Edited by dmm121182
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, TrueAssassin86x said:

Well if this kills Backwards compatibility then i wont bother with the Ps5 then no matter how good the exclusives are. I wont buy remasters of remasters of old games i played 5 years ago.

Especially not if they already had trophies before, which is a big selling point for the remasters in this period (trophy upgrade), at least for hunters.

1 hour ago, nyonmyan said:

Yeah, remakes and remasters will sell, but lost sale is a lost sale. When Beamdog has released Baldur's Gate 'Enhanced Edition', they made sure to pull the original game from stores to force people into buying new version.

There are quite a few of such examples.

You can’t use such a vague argument. A lost sale is to make a game on PS4 and not PS5 since the average consumer doesn’t buy the first few years. Yet things move forward. I can still sell old versions while selling new ones. There’s no reason to drop it. If people want to buy the same game multiple times they will. And not letting them... is a lost sale. Which is why that’s not a good argument.

1 hour ago, NaseemJohn said:

Ys 8 looks like an early PS3 title. No no Kuni 2 is garbage wrapped in a good engine, Tales has been half asking it for ages, you’re taking the exceptions as the rule. And giving bad examples of “good”. Ys May be good, but the games are also dated to the point you could play old games and get similar experiences. Nothing about them are modern. 

I wouldnt call Yakuza a JRPG at all. I Am Setsuna is hilarious to bring up as it’s channeling classic JRPGs, which aren’t  worth playing according to you therefore neither is it. 

And Souls type game’s are not at all JRPGs, they’re action games first and foremost. That’s what is core to them.

Edited by Elvick_

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

So they put a complete idiot as CEO. Not surprised.

Whatever his opinions on games are, Ryan is probably a good delegator, which is what a CEO does. CEOs aren't hired for their expertise in an industry, they're hired because they're good at micromanagement and task assignment. 

That being said, I still think he was the worst choice considering his stance on certain things

2 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

True, but how many people do you think still put in tons of hours on PS1 or PS2 in 2019? I'd say very little or next to none. 

I put 100+ hours into Persona 4 last month

Edited by majob

To anyone saying PS1 and PS2 games are outdated, i've recently begun to replay really rare or old games like Digimon World 3, Namco x Capcom or Soul Nomad and they still look great, function great and probably have more gametime than some newer games recently released. Your opinions, even Jim's, do not speak for what the public thinks. You don't like "outdated" games? Just say so and leave, but the public can agree or disagree with you freely.

Also let's not forget that not everyone were able to play or afford every single game back then, jfc. This problem STILL presists to this day, especially with the PS3 or Wii games since that was the era that games started to elevate in price even more.

Edited by YaoiGod

11 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

You can’t use such a vague argument. A lost sale is to make a game on PS4 and not PS5 since the average consumer doesn’t buy the first few years. Yet things move forward. I can still sell old versions while selling new ones. There’s no reason to drop it. If people want to buy the same game multiple times they will. And not letting them... is a lost sale. Which is why that’s not a good argument.

Ys 8 looks like an early PS3 title. No no Kuni 2 is garbage wrapped in a good engine, Tales has been half asking it for ages, you’re taking the exceptions as the rule. And giving bad examples of “good”. Ys May be good, but the games are also dated to the point you could play old games and get similar experiences. Nothing about them are modern. 

I wouldnt call Yakuza a JRPG at all. I Am Setsuna is hilarious to bring up as it’s channeling classic JRPGs, which aren’t  worth playing according to you therefore neither is it. 

And Souls type game’s are not at all JRPGs, they’re action games first and foremost. That’s what is core to them.

I never said old games aren't worth playing, I grew up on those games just like everyone else. What I'm saying is that a very small percentage of people still put tons of hours into those consoles and that he's right about how today's games are much more advanced. 

You may not have enjoyed the games I listed but all of them except one or two have gotten positive reception and most will agree that they're all good/great modern takes on the genre. 

Dark souls is very much a JRPG. I don't know what you consider a JRPG but Japanese role playing game is all it really stands for and that's exactly what dark souls is. An action game at its core yes but still a Japanese role playing game. 

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

You'd be amazed at how many people still enjoy playing old games

Yes I do, he's the CEO so he makes all the shots now

Not quite, the chairmen  in Tokyo actually make all the shots. Still, Ryan would be an idiot to kill the hype around the PS5 having full BC with prior consoles

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 7:18 AM, SnowxSakura said:

This is bad news for people that like backwards compatibility

Jim Ryan stated this in 2017

"

Sony’s head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan, told Time that he doesn’t see why anyone would play old games given the advancements in fidelity achieved today.

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/05/why-would-anybody-play-this-says-sonys-jim-ryan-about-backwards-compatibility/

No.  Just no.  There are plenty of other PS1/PS2 games that people would play.  Surely PS5 could offer enhancements like 4K resolution?

April 1...  I wish this were some kind of April Fools' joke.

My regrets about PlayStation HQ moving to the USA.  What good has come of it?

On 2/12/2019 at 8:25 AM, NaseemJohn said:

I personally think he's right. Games today are so much more advanced i don't see why anyone would want to be playing ps1 or ps2 games for any reason other than nostalgia. 

Not all PSone/PS2 games are playable on PS3/PS4, so the original consoles are the way to play them, like for Blasto, Ultimate Ninja 1 - 5, Uzumaki Chronicles 1 - 2, etc.

10 hours ago, Armored Squirrel said:

Not all PSone/PS2 games are playable on PS3/PS4, so the original consoles are the way to play them, like for Blasto, Ultimate Ninja 1 - 5, Uzumaki Chronicles 1 - 2, etc.

Also Metal Gear Solid Special Missions, hopefully it's a PSOne Classic. For everything else there are the original consoles or the emulators.

On 2/12/2019 at 0:18 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Jim Ryan stated this in 2017

"

Sony’s head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan, told Time that he doesn’t see why anyone would play old games given the advancements in fidelity achieved today.

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Just saw this. As usual the CEO is one of the biggest morons in all companies, he's just there due to his connections (yep unfortunately this doesn't happen only in the mob) and to pocket a few millions in stock options. To be honest I doubt that anyone on the top management of Sony has the slightest idea what a console is. Hum, or perhaps they've seen some boxes for sale in some places saying that it's a console and they figure, with some difficulty, that's how they fill their pockets.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, NaseemJohn said:

Games being more advanced only means they look prettier. It's usual that the gameplay is as shitty or boring as possible. On PS4 games this is quite usual. The most played games on my home are Super Smash Brawl, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, among others. Why? Simply because they're fantastically fun. Pity gamers can't see the difference between fun and good looks. Give me fun, don't care about the looks.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cris3f said:

Games being more advanced only means they look prettier. It's usual that the gameplay is as shitty or boring as possible. On PS4 games this is quite usual. The most played games on my home are Super Smash Brawl, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, among others. Why? Simply because they're fantastically fun. Pity gamers can't see the difference between fun and good looks. Give me fun, don't care about the looks.

Do you even play video games or are you just that bias? Watch any interview where game developers are speaking on the industry as a whole and almost all of them say the same thing, that the industry has came a long way and that games have evolved. Some of the highest rated games of all time came out this generation wether it's indie or triple A so your argument that all PS4 games are shit is invalid. If industry veterans and developers alike all agree that games have evolved I don't understand why everyone on this thread is in denial over a simple fact, games today are much more advanced. That's not a matter of opinion it's a fact.