Style of new graphic is terrible ;/

I don't know what you think, but i am very dissapointed with the new look of Monkey Island - it's hi-res graphic has no soul, characters have been changed - and their design is terrible - i think i will play in original graphic. I really liked how they updated graphic in Full Throttle Remastered - it is very consistent with original design - here it looks like they have made a new game ;/ Original sprites from Monkey Island are timeless - this special edition graphic looks like a flash game from 2006.. Very dissapointing considering it was released by Lucasarts - thank god we have Double Fine now!

• Like 4

I will probably buy this and Monkey Island 2 at some point.

One of the all time point and click classics. Thankfully Ron Gilbert is still around, he made Thimbleweed Park not too long ago which uses the same SCUMM engine style that the Monkey Island games had.

If only Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis can get a much needed remaster/special edition. I think I will piss in my chair.

• Like 2

Well if you put it into perspective the old Monkey Island forced you to imagine a ton of the things in the game back then, this is just another case of interpretation from an art team and I don't know if one can blame them for that, when it did come out it was pretty nice looking and received plenty of praise for making new art for the game.

That being said.

It's the ugliest Monkey island version you can get but it does have some nice features too in comparison to the other ones.

For the best and most fulfilling experience play the games in "8-bit" mode as it is more fun that way.

As these old Lucas Art's games are comedic in nature, I dislike many of the new style and artwork as it kills the jokes; Full Throttle being one of them as that game is much more fun with it's original art form. Just look at the book/novel ("On Stranger Tides" ~Tim Powers ) which Monkey Island took it's art and styles from, even that have some more beautiful art then Monkey Island does.

• Like 2

On 17.03.2019 at 7:21 AM, Spaz said:

If only Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis can get a much needed remaster/special edition. I think I will piss in my chair.

If would be great if they made an remaster of Indiana Jones and The Dig, but i am afraid due to licensing problems it will not happen ;/

On 17.03.2019 at 7:56 AM, NightRusticDawn said:

Well if you put it into perspective the old Monkey Island forced you to imagine a ton of the things in the game back then, this is just another case of interpretation from an art team and I don't know if one can blame them for that, when it did come out it was pretty nice looking and received plenty of praise for making new art for the game.

That being said.

It's the ugliest Monkey island version you can get but it does have some nice features too in comparison to the other ones.

For the best and most fulfilling experience play the games in "8-bit" mode as it is more fun that way.

As these old Lucas Art's games are comedic in nature, I dislike many of the new style and artwork as it kills the jokes; Full Throttle being one of them as that game is much more fun with it's original art form. Just look at the book/novel ("On Stranger Tides" ~Tim Powers ) which Monkey Island took it's art and styles from, even that have some more beautiful art then Monkey Island does.

It would be better if they made remaster it in some kind of pixel art, so it would be closer to original.

I have played Full Throttle Remastered recently and for me it was preety close to original - i did not notice any bad change in design of remastered assets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kristmas2 said:

If would be great if they made an remaster of Indiana Jones and The Dig, but i am afraid due to licensing problems it will not happen ;/

It would be better if they made remaster it in some kind of pixel art, so it would be closer to original.

I have played Full Throttle Remastered recently and for me it was preety close to original - i did not notice any bad change in design of remastered assets.

I think Pixel Art or 8 Bit up scaled to HD would be optimal for any older Lucas Arts PnC-adventure game however I think they do stuff like this as they believe it wouldn't sell otherwise : ) Maybe.

Some of these older games was made in a weird semi 3D aspect, (like most notably Grim Fandango) which I think is really hard to work with. It's that strange era of 3D Pixels.

Hey it's all subjective I guess when it comes to art and artistic values.

giphy.gif

Just having people talking about this game makes me happy, people are missing out on great content made by some really talented people and then to discuss how it made people think and feel is a great discourse and a nice change of pace of the "negative" threads on this site.

• Like 2

That era was basically the beginning of 3-D gaming and a lot of graphic art was basically a set of weird pixels. You can see it in games like the original Baldur's Gate, but the newer version on Steam is a huge improvement because it fixed a lot of bugs and problems.

15 hours ago, NightRusticDawn said:

I think Pixel Art or 8 Bit up scaled to HD would be optimal for any older Lucas Arts PnC-adventure game however I think they do stuff like this as they believe it wouldn't sell otherwise : ) Maybe.

Some of these older games was made in a weird semi 3D aspect, (like most notably Grim Fandango) which I think is really hard to work with. It's that strange era of 3D Pixels.

Hey it's all subjective I guess when it comes to art and artistic values.

Just having people talking about this game makes me happy, people are missing out on great content made by some really talented people and then to discuss how it made people think and feel is a great discourse and a nice change of pace of the "negative" threads on this site.

I will check Monkey Island 2 now - i think, that they went closer with original art with this remaster. They could do remaster of other monkey island games, but i don't think it will happen. Dont's suppose these remaster sell well in modern times - but in the other hand - Double fine have done three remasters by now, so if they did not sell well, they would stop after Grim Fandango Remastered.. i guess time will tell what will they do after Psychonauts 2. I have no idea how loyalities look when they work on someone else IP (Like monkey island).

16 hours ago, NightRusticDawn said:

Good example of a good HD remaster is Doom Classic Complete or Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition on PS3 - it has original art, but it is scaled to 1080p, so it looks great and is faithfull with original style. Imagine how bad it would be if they updated assets in Doom and duke nukem like they did with Monkey Island ;D It would be a disaster - like some kind of fan made mod :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 19/03/2019 at 7:30 PM, crazycarnz said:

I just wish they'd have made a remaster or even just re-release of my favourite monkey island, The curse of Monkey island. It was the first game I played as a kid, and even now is still one of the best games I've played. 

I wish they would remaster that one too, on the PS4.  It was not only my favourite MI it was the only one that I was ever able to complete, I know that they are making a PC anthology versions of the games but, would of really liked Double Fine to of done that one for PS4 like they did with Full Throttle and Day of the The Tentacle.  Of course there is also Toonstruck, which I never got very far with, so it is a real shame that they haven't thought of doing it.  Tbh, I actually kind of like the painterly effect they have gone for, it may not be to the taste of @Kristmas2 but, they have done a pretty good job imo, considering this is a game from 1990 and you do have an option to play in the original crinkly classic mode by pressing select on you controller, and you get a trophy for it.  However playing it permanently in that mode may give you a headache.

• Like 1