Weapon Scaling?

DrakeHellsing

I've been curious about this for a while.  I've been using the broadsword, which is doing its job, but in regards to weapon scaling, such as to strength or dexterity... what does that entail exactly? As in, say, it scales well with strength, if I have better strength, it'll do more damage sort of thing?

Reason I ask is I do have a few weapons available and am unsure on if I want to take the broadsword to +4 yet, as I only have two large titanite shards right now and not sure if I should use it on the broadsword, or wait for another weapon that could potentially be better and start upgrading that one instead.

1 hour ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I've been curious about this for a while.  I've been using the broadsword, which is doing its job, but in regards to weapon scaling, such as to strength or dexterity... what does that entail exactly? As in, say, it scales well with strength, if I have better strength, it'll do more damage sort of thing?

Reason I ask is I do have a few weapons available and am unsure on if I want to take the broadsword to +4 yet, as I only have two large titanite shards right now and not sure if I should use it on the broadsword, or wait for another weapon that could potentially be better and start upgrading that one instead.

Yeah, every weapon has letters to depict how well it scales for strength, dex, int, and faith. IIRC the letters range from E to A, with A being the best. The letter indicates how much extra damage you inflict when investing in that particular stat, though you get diminishing increases after reaching the soft cap, which is usually around 40-50 points invested. The Broadsword scales with both strength and dex, so investing in those stats means the base damage increases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, every weapon has letters to depict how well it scales for strength, dex, int, and faith. IIRC the letters range from E to A, with A being the best. The letter indicates how much extra damage you inflict when investing in that particular stat, though you get diminishing increases after reaching the soft cap, which is usually around 40-50 points invested. The Broadsword scales with both strength and dex, so investing in those stats means the base damage increases.

Ah, thanks for that.  That was a nice explanation in regards to that sort of thing.  I've not properly looked at some of the stats, as I've been so far, investing into more strength and stamina.  But I might start to invest into dex next and see what happens with the broadsword at that, to see how much more I can do with it in terms of damage.  I mean, hey, it does its job so far, can kill things in 3-4 hits at the very least, maybe 5-6 for tougher enemies... somewhere around that range, which is still nice.

But again, that explanation is what I was after, and mentioning the soft cap was also useful to know, I shall keep it in mind when I jump back into the game tomorrow and proceed further into the area I'm at :)

19 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Ah, thanks for that.  That was a nice explanation in regards to that sort of thing.  I've not properly looked at some of the stats, as I've been so far, investing into more strength and stamina.  But I might start to invest into dex next and see what happens with the broadsword at that, to see how much more I can do with it in terms of damage.  I mean, hey, it does its job so far, can kill things in 3-4 hits at the very least, maybe 5-6 for tougher enemies... somewhere around that range, which is still nice.

But again, that explanation is what I was after, and mentioning the soft cap was also useful to know, I shall keep it in mind when I jump back into the game tomorrow and proceed further into the area I'm at :)

Sure, no problem. Scaling isn't that interesting at first, but when you reach the soft cap, it can really make a difference on NG+ and beyond. I prefer the Claymore as it has a higher scaling (and imo it looks better :ninja:), though I did replace it with other weapons at times due to scaling.

If you want to inflict more damage, press :triangle: to wield your weapon with both hands. This also reduces the stat requirements to wield it without a penalty, which is useful at the start of the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hemiak said:

One thing you can do is allocate the points but don't confirm them. Then look at what it does to your overall stats. Then maybe allocate them a different way and see how they compare. 

I actually just noticed that with my broadsword, went to 25 in strength and from 24-25, it jumped up from around 57 to about 125 or so in regards to the damage output... and that was before I confirmed the increase.