Sega Sammy's profits up 400% from last year

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/07/31/sega-sammys-net-income-up-400-from-last-year/

segaSAMMY.jpg
Its crazy knowing that filtering your content can do so much good for you company, especially SEGA’s recent financial results for the first quarter of its 2014 fiscal year. SEGA-Sammy’s operating income for the quarter ended on June 30th and totaled 16.1 billion yen ($163.85 million), 197.7 percent higher than the same time last year. Net income came in at a (for SEGA-Sammy) staggering 12.9 billion yen ($131.6 million), which is a 408.8 percent increase year-over-year.

SEGA-Sammy totally improved their consumer business segment, which includes those video games you loved published by SEGA and its Japanese pachislot/pachinko machine division. Panchislot/pachinko branch of the company saw a increase of revenue of 138.5%, totaling 18.7 billion yen ($190.2 million).

According to SEGA-Sammy’s press release, their latest RTS game (which they got by buying the team/their franchises from THQ for 26 million) Company of Heroes 2 sold a staggering 380,000 copies. I know most of you will see this and say it isn’t over a million units so it is a failure, but you have to know that this report is from June 30th, the game launched on June 25th. The only other major SEGA retail title outside of Company of Heroes 2, was the Playstation Portable Japan only title 7th Dragon 2020-2. SEGA’s publishing side saw a year-over-year decrease of 9.7 percent, selling 1.21 million units.

SEGA also reported favorable performance of their digital games on Windows PC, Playstation Vita and mobile devices. SEGA-Sammy state that Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan only for now) helped bring the operating income of the consumer division up to 39 million yen (approximately $396,000).

It should be a good year for SEGA with Total War: Rome IIFootball Manager 2014 andSonic Lost Worlds around the corner.

Hopefully this means Sega puts out more games and/or brings some forgotten franchises back.  I'd love a new Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, or Guardian Heroes.

Hopefully they realize it was a massive mistake to make a few games exclusive to Nintendo and we see some great Sonic games on the PS3/PS4. It is good to see Sega doing better though but I won't ever be happy with them until I get Shenmue III damnit!

Parker

• Like 1

I'm happy for Sega , 

what i would die for is : Shenmue 3 for next-gen  :holy:

Hopefully that will happen eventually ..... 

Oh Shenmue was such a brilliant game , i can't explain how much i love that game and the dreamcast !

saying that it is my all time favorite game , both of them .

Hopefully they realize it was a massive mistake to make a few games exclusive to Nintendo and we see some great Sonic games on the PS3/PS4. It is good to see Sega doing better though but I won't ever be happy with them until I get Shenmue III damnit!

Parker

I'm still waiting for the games they said they'd make for PS3/Vita/3DS/etc...I'm talking about the 5-7 games for each console from an article I posted way long ago that I can't find now.  Of course, this was before the Nintendo partnership...but I'm still holding out hope that they'll release some games for the PS3/Vita/3DS/PS4, and not just Wii U.  It just seems stupid, but I guess the numbers themselves say Sonic sells better on Nintendo systems...

The vast majority of this increase is due to a weak Yen. Sony have also shown an increase in profits in the last quarter.

I think the Yen is currently trading at 29% lower value against US$ than this time last year and about 13% lower from the start of the quarter to the end of it that Sega-Sammy and Sony have announced their figures from.

So whilst they are making profits and thats a good thing as it should encourage development of more titles, I wouldnt be running around like a headless chicken over the increase just yet!