No iPhone 5, just 4S...

ille1234

211056_600.jpg

What's this? The second coming of the iPhone 4? Sure enough, Tim Cook just pulled the covers off of the hotly-anticipated iPhone 4S here in Cupertino, making 2011 the first year in the company's current stint in the smartphone business that it chose to launch three new handsets (Verizon's CDMA iPhone 4 included, of course). On the outside the 4S looks exactly like its predecessor, but on the inside it's "all new." Apple has jammed a dual-core A5 CPU inside alongside a new dual-core GPU that supposedly boosts graphics performance by up to 7x. Up front is the same 3.5-inch Retina display we've all come to know and love, and around back is a glass plate. Those antennae around the sides (which caused many users so much trouble) have been revamped and iOS will intelligently switch between two different sets on the fly to avoid dropping calls no matter how you hold it. Those antennae are connected to a dual-mode GSM and CDMA radio that will let Apple's handset roam the globe while enjoying either 14.4Mbps HSPA+ or EVDO.

On the back is also a new camera that sports an 8-megapixel camera with a backside illuminated CMOS sensor for better low-light performance. The lens now comes packed in a new 5-element assembly with a hybrid IR filter and sports apertures down to f/2.4. The improved visuals extend to video performance as well. The 4S can record 1080p video and has a new image signal processor for image stabilization and facial recognition, making the handset's camera comparable to many point-and-shoots. The camera is also quite a bit faster than many other smartphone shooters, needing only 1.1 seconds before being ready to take the first shot and only half a second between successive images.

The 4S is also the first Apple handset to come packing Siri virtual assistant tech baked in. Just tap the mic on the keyboard (just like on Android!) and start talking to enter text, check the weather, get directions or perform web searches.

As far as battery life, you're looking at eight hours of talk over 3G, and 14 hours of 2G, while web browsing over 3G cuts off at six hours. Using WiFi you'll get a respectable nine hours of web, video playback tops out at 10 hours and music at 40 hours. The 4S will come in both black and white, starting at $199 for 16GB and $299 for the 32GB, but the big news is a new 64GB model coming in at a whopping $399. You'll be able to pre-order this friday, October 7th, and it'll start shipping on October 14th in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France, Germany, and Japan. Oh, and Apple is welcoming Sprint to the family here in the States.

Imo they're slipping behind, slipping far behind...

Your thoughts on this? Happy? Sad? Major careface?

Meh I still love apple and it's products they are quality made.

Still some new features on the phone and the fixing of the antenna by putting it in a different spot.

And new insides it's just like the iPhone 3 how after that was the 3GS. I'm sure the next one will be the iPhone 5

Meh I still love apple and it's products they are quality made.

Still some new features on the phone and the fixing of the antenna by putting it in a different spot.

And new insides it's just like the iPhone 3 how after that was the 3GS. I'm sure the next one will be the iPhone 5

The thing is though, apple usually sets the bar and then shortly after someone wipes them out of the picture but now, they haven't even managed to reach their competitors latest phones hardwarewise and i can only imagine that in six months or so, phones will be twice as powerful as this and that will cause for some problems for apple who won't stand a fighting chance agains their competitors. Technically, they didn't stand a chance with the iphone 4 either after a while, but in this case it's way worse.

The thing is though, apple usually sets the bar and then shortly after someone wipes them out of the picture but now, they haven't even managed to reach their competitors latest phones hardwarewise and i can only imagine that in six months or so, phones will be twice as powerful as this and that will cause for some problems for apple who won't stand a fighting chance agains their competitors. Technically, they didn't stand a chance with the iphone 4 either after a while, but in this case it's way worse.

very true they are getting out done at their own game so to speak seeings these guys where pretty much the first to invent most of this stuff.

very true they are getting out done at their own game so to speak seeings these guys where pretty much the first to invent most of this stuff.

Exactly. However, they're not going to lose anything in terms of sales because of this, people will flock to the apple stores anyway :P

It's sad. Apple let everyone down. No iPhone 5, The worst update to the new generation iPod Touch, and no iPad 3.

Apple is going to lose some customers if they don't put some more effort into their products now. I know that they have kept it up for very long with good showman ship, and their new thunderbolt technology, but i see time lacking big them the handheld department.

It's sad. Apple let everyone down. No iPhone 5, The worst update to the new generation iPod Touch, and no iPad 3.

Apple is going to lose some customers if they don't put some more effort into their products now. I know that they have kept it up for very long with good showman ship, and their new thunderbolt technology, but i see time lacking big them the handheld department.

The apple stock has already gone down, however it always does after they present a new product for some reason :P