3DS Battery Life Slowly Dying - Very Worrying

madbuk

So, when I first got my 3DS, it could last about 1-3 days of playing it without the battery even going red (This was back in the year of OoT 3D, 2011.)

Now though,  years on, my battery life can last about 4 hours, maybe 5, before going red. It's the same 3DS as I've always had - does anybody know why it's slowly depleting and how to stop it?

It's an amazing hand-held, and I play it daily. I don't want to lose it.

Have you been recharging it when it turns red? I don't have a 3DS but I'm sure it would work like most phones/laptops do. You'll kill the battery faster by not letting it at least die once in a while, maybe let it completely lose the charge, give it a bit of a break, it's how I got my Windows Phone battery life up from 1 day to 4 days at least :)

• Like 1

My 3DS only lasts 3-5 hours so yours seems normal. Are you using more of the 3D feature than you normally were? 

Parker

I've mostly been playing DS games recently (Layton, specificly) so 3D isn't an option. Good to know I'm not alone on the 3-5 hour time frame though

Have you been recharging it when it turns red? I don't have a 3DS but I'm sure it would work like most phones/laptops do. You'll kill the battery faster by not letting it at least die once in a while, maybe let it completely lose the charge, give it a bit of a break, it's how I got my Windows Phone battery life up from 1 day to 4 days at least :)

Yeah, everytime it goes red I immediately put it on charge. Don't really like turning things off lol, but will give it a shot.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

TakahashiDemon, on 21 Aug 2013 - 16:15, said:snapback.png

Have you been recharging it when it turns red? I don't have a 3DS but I'm sure it would work like most phones/laptops do. You'll kill the battery faster by not letting it at least die once in a while, maybe let it completely lose the charge, give it a bit of a break, it's how I got my Windows Phone battery life up from 1 day to 4 days at least  :)

Yeah, everytime it goes red I immediately put it on charge. Don't really like turning things off lol, but will give it a shot.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

That isn't true regarding devices needing a discharge.  A discharge is only required for nickel cadmium and nickel–metal hydride batteries while the 3DS uses a Lithium Ion Battery.  Although you can charge them whenever, they do slowly lose charge overtime when not in use and the battery life slowly decays overtime (a year or two) just like any battery would.

Edited by Jeremyjtsui

That isn't true regarding devices needing a discharge.  A discharge is only required for nickel cadmium and nickel–metal hydride batteries while the 3DS uses a Lithium Ion Battery.  Although you can charge them whenever, they do slowly lose charge overtime when not in use and the battery life slowly decays overtime (a year or two) just like any battery would.

So there is no way to fix the decaying battery, or is there some sort of way to minimize the affect?

Are you using high Brightness settings?

Remember to lower them if you are in a place with nice lighting so you don't waste extra battery on nothing.
That's how I maximize my Vita's battery. Backlight is off until I need it, It usually adds about 10 hours (since I hardly ever turn it on)

• Like 1