You're Not The Boss of Me - Tips for unlocking this trophy

ryuji_sakujo

The trophy guide is severely lacking in details on how to get this offline trophy, so here's a more thorough description on what you need to do.

It will probably be the offline trophy that takes the longest time, so be prepared to put in a lot of time just for this trophy, maybe 10-15 hrs.

I played the game for a full 2 days to get this trophy, about 8 hrs per day.

Here are some resources that I found helpful.

Also, please take a look at my trophy guide comments which complement and complete the missing information in the trophy guide:
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/8798-mlb-the-show-19-trophy-guide/comments

• Especially the advice to "turn off Post Game Auto Save"

video description

forum threads and articles on how to get into the Major League (MLB) in RTTS

________________________________________________________________________________

Let's start by breaking down the roadmap (detailed plan) on how to get this trophy:

• Play the "Road To The Show" game mode
  • Develop your character (think of it as "campaign/story mode")
  • Start out in the minor leagues (AA and AAA, aka. double-A and triple-A) and end up being promoted into the Major League (MLB)...
  • ...in the Major League you will face "legendary opponents" that have a rating of higher than 90[1] and will more likely trigger the Boss Battle challenges

Now let's go back to the trophy guide and examine the trophy description:

...getting a boss battle to happen is a bit tough

Yes and no. You have to be in the MLB to trigger these, however if you make regular saves, let's say every 3-5 days that you advance in the game then you can always reload the save before a boss fight to have it appear with 100% accuracy if you fail completing the challenge the first time that it appears!

...create a player pitcher or hitter, but it is recommended you do this as a hitter...

First of all, there is no role called "pitcher" or "hitter".

The roles are[2]:

• Starting Pitcher, Closing Pitcher
  • Catcher
  • 1st Baseman, 2nd Baseman, 3rd Baseman,
  • Short-Stop
  • Left Fielder, Center Fielder, Right Fielder

Second, if you select SP or CP (Starting/Closing Pitcher), guess what you'll have to do during your appearance in the match.. that's right, you'll get to pitch from the mound, during defense.

If you pick other roles such as Baseman or Fielder, you'll get to play as a hitter during the offensive turns for your team in the innings, and be out in the field during defense.

Some sources claim (see earlier links) that selecting SP will increase your chances to be promoted into the Major League earlier. Others have reported getting drafted into AAA or even MLB within the very first season of 2019, around June/July.

As for myself (playing as 1st Baseman), it took me the whole season of 2019 and around May/June of 2020 to get into MLB, then another month to encounter the first boss battle (after simming through some matches).

...you will have to get to the major leagues since Boss Battles don't seem to pop up in the minor leagues.

Correct according to my observations.

Simming the games is not recommended...

Indeed do not sim through games.

Again, there's a bit of speculation (see earlier links) as to what makes you move up in leagues.

I would guess it's either all or some of these elements that will affect progression and set you up for promotion:

• Your overall rating (top-right in the main menu of RTTS, where you can enter the "Calendar" or "Play Next Appearance/Match" among other things)
  • Your attributes, you increase these by actually playing matches, can't sim through whole days
    • And also increase them by completing the mini-games and challenges (training, bullpen, in-match challenges)
    • Important to point out is that you can choose to only participate when you're on the offense, and "skip to next appearance" (simulate) when you're on the defense (fielding or pitching)
      This way, the matches will go by a bit quicker!
  • Correct choices in the RPG-style dialogs, try to be nice to your coach and pick favorable options
  • Get a good season track record (ranking) with hits, drive home runs and homeruns

With consistency, skill and some luck you'll get hit up with an offer to advance into the higher leagues.
If you feel like you've hit a good overall rating and that you should be getting the promotion soon, then feel free to sim through some games just to fast forward to the dialog where your coach calls you up to notify you about the promotion. I got drafted from AAA to MLB when my overall rating was around 75-80.

Remember that even if you don't get into MLB by the end of the season (October), you'll keep playing in the same league once the next season starts (March).

Don't sim through these events, make sure you set correct salaries and go through the dialogs without skipping, just to be in full control of the RPG-like decisions and events.

I myself was in AAA as the 2019 season ended, and kept playing in AAA until around May/June of 2020 when I got promoted into MLB.

...raise the sliders for maximum hitting power.

Human sliders to the MAX (except fouling), CPU sliders to the minimum.

Will make things much easier.

Another set of sliders not mentioned are the ones found in the RTTS main menu.

• Go all the way to the 4th tab by hitting R1.
  • Select Options/Sliders[3]
  • Adjust the "Trade Frequency" slider to minimum to have player trades happen less (or not at all) between the various team
    • This will ensure that the superstar players (bosses) that you're looking for later on stay with their original teams and are not traded to other teams

Now once you get to the majors, you will have to be put in a situation where a boss battle is warranted.
You will most likely get a boss battle in a clutch or tough situation facing a good pitcher.

Not true, you can get a boss battle pretty early on in a match, doesn't need to be 9th or 11th inning.

I think I got mine around 3rd or 5th inning.

Make sure that you pick the easiest challenge to complete. You can complete any of the 3 challenges for the trophy to pop.

I got the following:

• Hit and get a single
  • Hit and get a double
  • Hit and get a triple

So I just picked the first option "get a single", and cleared it (on my third attempt.. had saves every few days leading up to that match, hurray for "save file chapter select").

Make sure you complete the challenge as it may be a little while before you get another chance.

Incorrect, this is only true if you continue to play the next matches and progress in RTTS, which you shouldn't do.

Once you hit MLB or before then, you should be saving your progress every 3-4 days.

Go back to my last point in #4 or my full answer in #1.

Make sure "Post Game Auto Save" is turned off, see my trophy guide comment for info on how to do that.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's cover the rest now, any information missing from the trophy guide:

• So you've played RTTS
  • You've developed your character by increasing his rating and attributes, and actually played the matches
  • You've been promoted from AA to AAA, and finally to the Major League (MLB)

Now you're just looking to face "legendary opponents" and trigger the Boss Battle challenges.

First of all, they're pretty much "random" in that you don't know how many more matches you have to play to encounter one.

Just keep playing, probably for another 3-6 in-game weeks, should trigger one by then if not sooner.

Look for these players and teams, they should have higher chances to trigger "boss battles", since they are "superstar players":

• Clayton Kershaw (Los Angeles Dodgers, SP*)
  • Walker Buehler (Los Angeles Dodgers, SP)
  • Kenley Jansen (Los Angeles Dodgers, CP**)
  • Madison Bumgarner (San Francisco Giants, SP)
  • Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals, SP)
  • Stephen Strasbourg (Washington Nationals, SP)
  • Justin Verlander (Houston Astros, SP)
  • Zack Greinke (Houston Astros, SP)
  • Kirby Yates (San Diego Padres, CP)
  • Liam Hendricks (Oakland Athletics, CP)
  • Aroldis Chapman (New York Yankees, CP)
  • Jacob deGrom (New York Mets, SP)

*SP = Starting Pitcher

**CP = Closing Pitcher

Depending on if the superstar is a SP and CP they'll appear in different situations.

All the above mentioned should be "bosses", check their rating prior to the match, usually they're 90+.

The only one I can confirm is Jacob deGrom, I got the trophy by finally completing a boss challenge against him on my third attempt.

A final note, perhaps obvious is that you shouldn't try to get drafted into a team which has bosses.

Since LA Dodgers has 3 bosses potentially, pick a team that will face them, rather than that team.

I picked the Colorado Rockies (NL West) when I was asked in RTTS what team to draft into.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, here are some images as visual aid:

MLB 19 - Prematch Menu with boss Jacob deGrom

mlb-prematch.jpg

MLB 19 - Prematch Loading Screen (1) with boss Jacob deGrom

mlb-prematch2.jpg

MLB 19 - Prematch Loading Screen (2) with boss Jacob deGrom

mlb-prematch2b.jpg

MLB 19 - Boss Encounter Prompt (also see the video description)

mlb-boss.jpg

MLB 19 - Boss Battle Challenge Selection

mlb-boss-battle-select.jpg

MLB 19 - RTTS File Saves (boss encounters are marked)

mlb-saves.jpg

Credits to:

@KriiuZ, @Lowlands_Away, @Cpt_v0kA and helpful resources on the internet used when trying to figure out how this trophy works!

Footnotes:

[1] Not totally sure about this number (rating 90+).. don't quote me on it.

[2] Again, not totally sure, feel free to correct.

[3] Something to that effect.. forgot what it's called exactly..

Edited by ryuji_sakujo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the extra info.  This is quite a grind.  I have been skipping base running but hitting and playing the field to increase my attributes.

It is now August but no call up yet despite nearly 50 home runs, 175 RBIs, and batting .495!  It must be dependent on the attributes because I just hit 70 on my overall rating.  

I really don’t want to wait until I get to 75-80 before being called up! In real life, the general manager would already be fired by now for leaving me in Double A with those stats! ?

EDIT - the major league player at my position is a 79 (which is low for the majors), please don’t tell me I have to get my overall to 79 to replace him though.

Edited by djb5f

The rating is just an approximate reference point for what worked for me, it's no guarantee.
Your mileage may vary, so just keep on playing and increasing stats and rating, you'll get there.
If you feel like you should've been called up already, just sim through some days so that the cutscene will trigger.

Ok, I got it and the plat!  I simmed the minor league postseason and then the off-season and got myself a 1 year contract with the Brewers.

I was only pinch hitting at the beginning of the season but once put into the starting lineup, I got a boss battle off Robertson of the Phillies and hit a 3 run HR in first try.  Ding!

Note to others, you can probably sim much earlier and more often to make the major leagues quicker.  Lesson learned.

Fun game for sure.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Got this waaaaaaay earlier than expected, decided to Sim through most games but also decided to play a few in between in order to increase my rating, wasn't paying attention to anything since I thought bosses were exclusive to MLB, then all of a sudden I got the trophy after doing a challenge in AAA, 58 Rating. It was an easy challenge too.

I must have been distracted since I don't recall getting the "boss battle" card at all. 

The whole thing took me 3 hours or so. 

• 1 year later...

It`s very frustrated. I am now in Year 2027, the third year in the Mayor League. I play alle games as Batter, but the Challenge never comes. Actually there are not many players with a Rating 90+ as Pitcher, maybe they are too old and out of game. But i play against Walker Buehler with 99 and Ohtani with 99, but the Challenge never pops. What can i do?