Trophy hunting advice?

Xionzenn

I initially started trophy hunting in 2010, I haven't been really consistent hence why I've only got 60% completion of my overall games. But since I've managed to get additional time from lockdown to collect trophies, I managed to play 10+ games from March. I feel like it's now taking a toll on me, personally I feel like a break is needed but i feel like I can't stop thinking about my trophy list. I've only got 44 plats now, but looking back at my list from 2010, there's so many uncompleted games which makes me sorta OCD in the sense that I need to sort out my cabinet. Is this just me or other people go through this aswell, given that they have games from ages ago. Also do you find yourself competing with friends on your list to outrank them with trophies? Where does this obsession end? What's the best method around this insanity I'm facing to plat so many games in a short amount of time to just get it "done and over with"?

3 hours ago, ExplicitJAP said:

Is this just me

I find it a bit silly when some people put this phrase in a post. Like, out of the several billion people on this planet the specified problem only found its way to one person.

You just joined this site where it's a given to come across some members expressing their own OCD tendencies and trophy preferences.

To the topic at hand: if you feel you need a break, then by all means take a break. Nobody will have gaming expectations out of you except yourself.

If you want to be better at completing games, look at your collection and find which ones that strike your interest and/or that you find completely doable. Also remember that some trophies will be unobtainable due to the fact that it's a matter of server shutdowns, glitches, or a measure of skill.

If you need motivation, there are plenty of forum gaming events that you can join! It's a great way to tackle the backlog, improve your completion, form some networking, and learn some tips and tricks from whatever reviews players put up on their conquests. If events aren't your thing, set some gaming goals for yourself. An example: complete 1-3 games in a month, take a break as long as needed, complete 1-3 games for a new month, etc. If you start too many games and hop around them, then I don't think you're going to have the focus needed to get through them and your completion% will dive down as well. Achieve some sort of discipline in your goals.

I don't compete with friends on the trophy outrank. I just focus on me.

Lastly, if you feel completion obsession is/will affect your daily life, then you should think about therapy. Gaming is a lot of things to people, but I believe being driven into a corner shouldn't be one of them.

Good luck in your endeavors~

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bittersweet said:

I find it a bit silly when some people put this phrase in a post. Like, out of the several billion people on this planet the specified problem only found its way to one person.

You just joined this site where it's a given to come across some members expressing their own OCD tendencies and trophy preferences.

To the topic at hand: if you feel you need a break, then by all means take a break. Nobody will have gaming expectations out of you except yourself.

If you want to be better at completing games, look at your collection and find which ones that strike your interest and/or that you find completely doable. Also remember that some trophies will be unobtainable due to the fact that it's a matter of server shutdowns, glitches, or a measure of skill.

If you need motivation, there are plenty of forum gaming events that you can join! It's a great way to tackle the backlog, improve your completion, form some networking, and learn some tips and tricks from whatever reviews players put up on their conquests. If events aren't your thing, set some gaming goals for yourself. An example: complete 1-3 games in a month, take a break as long as needed, complete 1-3 games for a new month, etc. If you start too many games and hop around them, then I don't think you're going to have the focus needed to get through them and your completion% will dive down as well. Achieve some sort of discipline in your goals.

I don't compete with friends on the trophy outrank. I just focus on me.

Lastly, if you feel completion obsession is/will affect your daily life, then you should think about therapy. Gaming is a lot of things to people, but I believe being driven into a corner shouldn't be one of them.

Good luck in your endeavors~

Self-explanatory there, I decided to take a break. Catch up on the real world not revolving around trophies, it was easier to do this than I thought. Regardless, I don't think "therapy" is needed, although the gruesome grinding for virtual accomplishments can be hectic. I'll give myself a break & credit myself for what I've done in a reasonably timed fashion. But that is indeed good management advice, I've been getting about 11+  plats from March- May. Not healthy considering they weren't super easy games other than Winter' Dream. Anywho, enough talk, thanks for that! I realize it was fairly common of an experience but I felt like getting it off my chest. Possibly the only drama oriented post I'll ever make, once is once. All I can say is trophy hunting/gaming is not a race, I should know that from beginning in 2010. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this will help but, for me I had to find balance. I would like to think that I am a trophy hunter. At least I know I am at heart. However, I do not have an impressive trophy collection. The way I found balance was to accept what I could do and not get upset over what I could not do. For example, there are games that I bought because I really really enjoy playing them. I knew that buying these games would negatively impact my trophy list because I would not be able to platinum them. At one point in time I would not buy games that I didn't think I could platinum. But then I was missing out on a lot of really good games that I enjoyed playing. I found myself not enjoying games anymore. I was stressing about platinum's more than having fun. Games that required a long grind would drain me mentally. So, one day I decided to let it all go and just enjoy playing. I will occasionally play a super easy platinum game to try and boost up my completion score. But to be honest, I would rather play the games I want and have a low completion score than to only play super easy platinum games and have a 100% completions score. Seriously, who are you impressing when you have a 100% completion score but your list of games are 1/10 like My Name is Mayo, POWGI, TT Games, etc. There is no shame in having a platinum in those games but if they are your only games then you really don't have anything to brag about.. For me personally, I felt that I have to at least have one trophy that has less than 1% earned, otherwise I just don't feel like a real trophy hunter. In my opinion, trophy hunter is suppose to be a challenge. Just don't let it consume you. 

19 minutes ago, StressEater said:

I don't know if this will help but, for me I had to find balance. I would like to think that I am a trophy hunter. At least I know I am at heart. However, I do not have an impressive trophy collection. The way I found balance was to accept what I could do and not get upset over what I could not do. For example, there are games that I bought because I really really enjoy playing them. I knew that buying these games would negatively impact my trophy list because I would not be able to platinum them. At one point in time I would not buy games that I didn't think I could platinum. But then I was missing out on a lot of really good games that I enjoyed playing. I found myself not enjoying games anymore. I was stressing about platinum's more than having fun. Games that required a long grind would drain me mentally. So, one day I decided to let it all go and just enjoy playing. I will occasionally play a super easy platinum game to try and boost up my completion score. But to be honest, I would rather play the games I want and have a low completion score than to only play super easy platinum games and have a 100% completions score. Seriously, who are you impressing when you have a 100% completion score but your list of games are 1/10 like My Name is Mayo, POWGI, TT Games, etc. There is no shame in having a platinum in those games but if they are your only games then you really don't have anything to brag about.. For me personally, I felt that I have to at least have one trophy that has less than 1% earned, otherwise I just don't feel like a real trophy hunter. In my opinion, trophy hunter is suppose to be a challenge. Just don't let it consume you. 

Seems to be the general consensus, I'd argue your trophy collection is impressive in the sense that you've got trophies I haven't even completed yet, but in the end I suppose none of us are impressed with our collection. I thought I'd be impressed after getting my WW2 plat, nope, I thought I'd be impressed getting my Devil May Cry plat, nope. Thought I'd be impressed getting my three Resident Evil plats, hell no. There's too many games to dictate the value of your collection, kinda learned that comparison will inevitably lead you to trying to outrank others with these lousy easy games like 'My Name is Mayo' which makes you more vulnerable to hating on your list. I have like 6 easy cheap plats, shameless considering I have 44 plats but it is what it is at the end. I'd say plat what you want, it's what I'm doing now, I've nearly platted Mortal Kombat 11 & that was just for fun. Imagine that it's not even a common plat. 

7 minutes ago, ExplicitJAP said:

Seems to be the general consensus, I'd argue your trophy collection is impressive in the sense that you've got trophies I haven't even completed yet, but in the end I suppose none of us are impressed with our collection. I thought I'd be impressed after getting my WW2 plat, nope, I thought I'd be impressed getting my Devil May Cry plat, nope. Thought I'd be impressed getting my three Resident Evil plats, hell no. There's too many games to dictate the value of your collection, kinda learned that comparison will inevitably lead you to trying to outrank others with these lousy easy games like 'My Name is Mayo' which makes you more vulnerable to hating on your list. I have like 6 easy cheap plats, shameless considering I have 44 plats but it is what it is at the end. I'd say plat what you want, it's what I'm doing now, I've nearly platted Mortal Kombat 11 & that was just for fun. Imagine that it's not even a common plat. 

I understand what you are saying and you make a very valid point. There are only a couple platinum trophies that I am proud of. Evolve would be one of them. Not because it was hard or anything. I just made friends with another trophy hunter while working on that game. Now, every couple weeks we plan out the next game we are going to platinum together. It is really hard to find someone who is always there to help you. I guess that's why I keep my friends list short. The truth is, the platinum's I am most proud of are the ones that took no effort. Games like Port Royale, The game was so much fun for me that I was able to platinum it without trying. It's one of the few games that I continue to play even though I finished it. 

It's all about having fun. When you are not enjoying yourself, then why are you even bothering to play?

In March of 2018 I began to go back to games, mostly on the PS3, that I had for one reason or another (grinds/DLC trophies largely) and began knocking them out. Looking at my list now... I completed 40 of them. 5/40 I couldn't 100% (though a few I might in future if I decide to have another crack at it) but did increase their overall % as much as I could. I have 2 more games to go and I should be able to 100% both of those for 37/42 100%ed. 

The experience was varied. Some were quick online affairs that just needed boosting partners. Super Street Fighter 4 required a boost party of 8 people. Far Cry 2 required one of 16! and only 1 player could use multiple PS3s (many of us had a second) though thankfully we had someone with 5 PS3s (another had 4 too). From that boost session I found someone who wanted to boost with me and my second PS3 the multiplayer which was nice, we're talking daily 1 hour sessions to do it (did the same for Street Fighter 4). Some were DLC trophies that gave a new area or whatever so it was nice going back to the game, getting back in the groove and tackling new content. Others were a grind like White Knight Chronicles which in 2010 I had played the online of with people and now had to do what I had left on my own, though thankfully it turned out I had stopped at 90% completion of everything you have to do for 100%. 

My advice as someone who has tackled such a thing is this. First off find something you enjoy to listen to, a podcast, a content creator on Youtube, a sport, whatever it may be. Put that on while grinding be it on your phone or a laptop. That will help with any grind. However that does not mean you're all good and can now grind for many hours straight. Some days you might mentally be good for it, but mostly you want to limit it. 1 hour sessions a day max or if say you need to do grind 1000 drops of something, do X a day. If you do that I've outlined you will eventually knock them all off and won't have that bad a time doing it.

21 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

In March of 2018 I began to go back to games, mostly on the PS3, that I had for one reason or another (grinds/DLC trophies largely) and began knocking them out. Looking at my list now... I completed 40 of them. 5/40 I couldn't 100% (though a few I might in future if I decide to have another crack at it) but did increase their overall % as much as I could. I have 2 more games to go and I should be able to 100% both of those for 37/42 100%ed. 

The experience was varied. Some were quick online affairs that just needed boosting partners. Super Street Fighter 4 required a boost party of 8 people. Far Cry 2 required one of 16! and only 1 player could use multiple PS3s (many of us had a second) though thankfully we had someone with 5 PS3s (another had 4 too). From that boost session I found someone who wanted to boost with me and my second PS3 the multiplayer which was nice, we're talking daily 1 hour sessions to do it (did the same for Street Fighter 4). Some were DLC trophies that gave a new area or whatever so it was nice going back to the game, getting back in the groove and tackling new content. Others were a grind like White Knight Chronicles which in 2010 I had played the online of with people and now had to do what I had left on my own, though thankfully it turned out I had stopped at 90% completion of everything you have to do for 100%. 

My advice as someone who has tackled such a thing is this. First off find something you enjoy to listen to, a podcast, a content creator on Youtube, a sport, whatever it may be. Put that on while grinding be it on your phone or a laptop. That will help with any grind. However that does not mean you're all good and can now grind for many hours straight. Some days you might mentally be good for it, but mostly you want to limit it. 1 hour sessions a day max or if say you need to do grind 1000 drops of something, do X a day. If you do that I've outlined you will eventually knock them all off and won't have that bad a time doing it.

Been there, I've had my fair share of awful boost sessions, luckily I recently joined this & managed to find someone who helped me boost for Xenoverse 2 even though he had the trophies himself. The people here make online trophies worth thriving, I have Far Cry 4 Co-op & Red Dead Redemption I need to chase up. But yeah, thank you. I managed to separate my time, it helps with motivation when you're actually giving it a rest go-figure. 

20 hours ago, Bittersweet said:

Sorry if my post came off as a bit heavy, I'm probably too serious for my own good most of the time ahah.

It sounds like you're off on a comfortable restart now and I hope your gaming experiences will only get better!

I didn't get that impression, it was direct & needed. Thanks for replying. 

• 3 years later...