Is someone trying to "steal" my PSN account?

Ghanupher

Hi everyone!

I'm receiving SMSs to my cellphone, from a rotating phone number, with a code for the 2 step verification that you input on PSN to access your account/sign in.

As I write this, I already received four messages with different codes, just today alone.

And I (think I) know it's a code for the PSN's 2 step verification because when I tried to access the store a few days prior, the same phone number (they are never the same, but the area code is) sent me the code for input. And I logged on and off PSN several times in these past few months.

So my concern is if someone (a third party) is trying to get into my account?

Is there a way of knowing this?

If so, should I change my password and/or try to contact Sony?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ghanupher

Yes. 

I don’t know. 
Yes and Yes. 

You should change your password right away. And you should also contact Sony support right after doing so. 

At least you have two factor on, that may have stopped your account from getting stolen. If also recommend removing any PayPal or Credit Cards goes to your account for the time being. 

• Like 3

Even if you can't guarantee that someone is trying to get into your account, it is always a safe bet to change your password anyways.

Personally, once I encounter suspicious activity on any of my accounts, I change the password.

Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes. 

I don’t know. 
Yes and Yes. 

You should change your password right away. And you should also contact Sony support right after doing so. 

At least you have two factor on, that may have stopped your account from getting stolen. If also recommend removing any PayPal or Credit Cards goes to your account for the time being. 

Thanks. I just did as you wrote. Changed my password. Cannot contact Sony now because the website only provides me with a phone number and is already midnight here where I live.

Luckily enough, I don't have any credit card associated with any of my gaming accounts, and most probably never will given the risks, so I'm safe from that at least.

Thanks again!

If you use this password anywhere else: change those too! Clearly someone has this password and your e-mail address: you can be sure they’ll also try to use those with Facebook, Gmail, Twitter etc. 

Stay safe. And thanks for the reminder for myself to turn on two-factor authentication, I didn’t know PS had that (I use it almost anywhere). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghanupher said:

Hi everyone!

I'm receiving SMSs to my cellphone, from a rotating phone number, with a code for the 2 step verification that you input on PSN to access your account/sign in.

As I write this, I already received four messages with different codes, just today alone.

And I (think I) know it's a code for the PSN's 2 step verification because when I tried to access the store a few days prior, the same phone number (they are never the same, but the area code is) sent me the code for input. And I logged on and off PSN several times in these past few months.

So my concern is if someone (a third party) is trying to get into my account?

Is there a way of knowing this?

If so, should I change my password and/or try to contact Sony?

Thanks in advance!

Be on the safe side, change your password/email (if you have an alternative email), add security questions & make sure to have any evidence of previous purchase.  It's a good idea you have step 2 verification, otherwise it could have been the beginning of the end for you, someone's definitely trying to hack you. I was a victim to hacking three months ago, in the 10 years I've had my account, I never got hacked once but I avoided a lot of security on my profile & thus the unexpected happened, but luckily Sony always works with you & I was able to get my account back. Be sure that your email associated with your PSN account has a password update too, seems he/she has access to that to be confident to hack your PSN. 

Lol, this made me motivated to check my old email, apparently someone tried to hack my unused Runescape account for years ago but the security updated on that old email is solid. 

Edited by ExplicitJAP
  • Like 1

Thanks to you all that cared to respond.

I suppose, since there was no credit card associated with the account, the potential thief didn't care as much, because there wasn't any real leverage for him/her to "negotiate" with (aside for maybe my purchases, which are just that, there isn't really much that I -think- should care about).

From my perspective, Identity theft isn't something to really bother if there isn't anything "juicy" to steal (in this case, money). At least I wouldn't worry to try and steal someone's identity if I could not make money out of it (I will never attempt such a thing anyway).

But thanks again for telling me to keep my guard upon the matter.

• Like 1