Control PS5 upgrade

Raveniteh

On 8/15/2020 at 4:28 AM, TJ_Solo said:

Why would I fucking care about the Xbox CEO says about what "should" be? He is the CEO of a single gaming company not the CEO of all gaming companies.

You need to stop letting Phil Spencer weaponize you for his narratives. 

Bit of info, Yes, Phil is the Head of Xbox Gaming but that means he can push their rules and narrative onto the devs who wish to publish on their console.

Let's ignore Control for a second and look at Call of Duty, which is out this year.

On the PS you can buy two versions of the game, a PS4 edition (which is just PS4), a slightly more expensive PS4 edition (which includes the PS5 edition upgrade) and the PS5 version (for those who want it all on the disc for next-gen, instead of a download).

The middle tier is the game and download code (at about £5 more expensive) on the PS, giving the gamer the ability to redeem and unlock the PS5 edition. If you buy the standard version, gamers can also buy the upgrade for the same price (around £5) on the PSN store and download the PS5 edition - both for physical and digital copies of the game. 

Xbox, because they are refusing to let anyone charge to upgrade, are different. They have the same three tiers, Xbox One, Xbox One/Series, and Xbox Series. However, the middle tier contains two discs, the Xbox One and the Xbox Series editions - I imagine you'll have to install the Series disc and put the other in the drive - or vice-versa to ensure you don't sell it.

How is this different? Well, Xbox won't let devs or publishers charge to upgrade, so that small fee for gamers on the PS4 with the standard edition, to unlock the PS5 version, Xbox doesn't allow this. That's why they get both discs and not a code - because they're not letting devs do that. It's either a free upgrade or no upgrade at all. 

How does this relate to Control - they want to get paid for doing the update as it too them time and money to develop the enhancements and I personally think that's fair. However, just like CoD, they can't provide an 'upgrade' fee on Xbox in order to pay around £5 and get the new version. So, in order to not upset Xbox gamers, they've decided to upset everyone by disguising the 'upgrade fee' as the price of admittance with the re-purchase of the game. They thought that if they push it as "we can't do it" they hoped everyone would understand and not query their actions. 

Ultimately, and TL;DR, because Xbox has set the rules that no game can charge for a small MT or DLC to unlock the next-gen edition, some companies are working around it in order to receive payment for their work - workarounds which end up being 'bad' for the consumer.

Can I back this up? Other than the things I've said above which is based on what I've seen and read, no. However - keep an eye on Observer. That's a game getting a remaster on next-gen and is charging full price atm. On PC, you can pay $5 and get the enhanced edition on Steam. Bloober Team are close to MS so if they won't let them do the small fee to upgrade, we won't see it on PSN either - they'll say "it's not possible" even though they've said they're "looking int it" at the moment. 

So yeah, as head of Xbox Gaming, you 'should' care about what Daddy Phil is demanding and asking of the people wanting to publish on their console, as a lot of devs and publishers would rather do the same to everyone than seem like they're providing one console with a better deal - unless they can hide it behind 'marketing deals'

I have no problem with a company not wanting to give a free upgrade as it does cost some money making sure the new game with the new enhancements of the new console. It is awesome if every company does give the  free upgrade. Part of me doesn’t want the ps4 version of a major game like cyberpunk 2077 as I heard that it would run better on the ps5 and I don’t know if I want to play it on two systems.  

I do have a problem with 505 studios reason why they couldn’t give a free upgrade for a older version of Control game which was a lie. Because they could have given the people who brought a deluxe edition , access to the ultimate edition which the mistake showed last week on psn. This just shows that they are greedy.

Bit of info, Yes, Phil is the Head of Xbox Gaming but that means he can push their rules and narrative onto the devs who wish to publish on their console.

Yup. Only on the Xbox console. It would be suicide to alienate the companies that supply the majority of the content on your console. This is why his feelings on what "should" be the case is even less relevant. It's just another tirade he has in public in order to try and weaponize any consumer that agrees with him against the companies that disagree. This has been done various Spencer narratives such as "One and done games". "Play together", "Exclusives don't matter", and the list goes on. With each of his narratives comes the backtracking and actions that run counter to his ideals. 

All those examples you want to drum up about crossbuy are unique to each publisher, not the platform holder. Where is Sony or MS are telling these publisher to charge or not charge for the next gen version? EA, Take Two, Activision,...all are taking their own approach to it that doesn't match what you're saying. Also, calling it an "upgrade" is a misnomer that confuses what is actually being sold/given away. The PS5 version is a different SKU than the PS4 game. Just as the PS4 version is a different SKU then the Xbox One version. You casually want to view it as the same game when that's not the case at the retail level. The Xbox One X has a 4K update for The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 on Xbox Series X is not a 4K update from the Xbox One X version. 

I am not the "believe me, bro" kinda person. If you want to play insider then play insider with someone else. If you don't present facts to me then all you can talk about is opinion and speculation. 

Again, caring about what Spencer says means dealing with propaganda for a few months until Spencer/MS/Xbox shifts gears. It would be concerning if his words didn't come with an expiration date.