Hiyo's Multiple Lists

Hiyo_Rain

• 5 weeks later...

100% #15: Letter Quest Remastered

spacer.pngSe9d040.png

I finally have something to update with! I finished up another 100% only game, Letter Quest Remastered. It was pretty fun, and a friend of mine said it reminded him of a game he used to play on his family's computer back when we were elementary school age. Grinding out 3000 words was a bit excessive considering I had only about 2000 by the time I got all the stars, but I just put on YouTube videos and spelled out tons of super short words to get it out of the way. And hey, even if the grind was annoying, at least I'm that much more caught up on my favorite YouTuber's videos!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally quit game hopping long enough to be able to provide another update!

Plat #68: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

S04f8c9.png

love investigation games! I'll have to pick up and play the other Sherlock Holmes games, because this was really good! Pretty much my only complaint is the lack of a tutorial or explanation of any kind for how to play lawn bowls. That was an annoying trophy to have to figure out on my own. I really wanted to classify this game as a puzzle game, but I know it's really more of an interactive story game with puzzle elements, so I put it there instead.

Plat #69: Mr. Massagy

S4f0f60.png

I do enjoy visual novels a lot, as I'm sure everyone's noticed, even indie ones. But for my 69th plat, what better way to commemorate it than with a game that makes fun of a niche genre of visual novels I like and also is full of sex jokes? Cheap, quick plat, but hey, at least I didn't pay for it out of my own pocket. I used some birthday money on it, same as when I got Jack N Jill DX last year (though I also picked that game to commemorate my dogs, named Jack and Jill). Even though it kind of fits better for my definition of EZPZ, this is staying in the visual novel section because I picked it for making fun of my otome visual novels, and it goes with that part of the collection.

• Like 2

Heyo! Just wanted to drop by and say you have a nice collection of games here - I'm especially a fan of how you organized them in your OP. Very awesome Persona 4 Golden plat and I just wanted to ask you a few questions about your catalogue to get a feel of some of your favorite games. 

1) We have a number of games in common - but my question for you considering you enjoy visual novels, what do you think of VA-11 HA11-A? I don't really play many of them and I enjoyed my time with it - but I felt like the ending didn't have that true finality and I kinda wished it had a bit more of a tricky gameplay element when it came to making drinks. 

2) Yoo I see you're 1 trophy away from finishing Slime Rancher! I actually found the Rush Mode trophy pretty fun - there's a number of helpful guides out there that I'd recommend.

3) In terms of my own recommendations from what you've played, I'd say try to get back to Okami HD when you can - it's a really delightful experience for an older title. In terms of some games that I don't see on your catalogue, I don't know if you've ever heard of Supergiant Games - but I'd strongly recommend them if you're into beautifully artistically, well-designed, unique gameplay experiences. The 3 titles they have on PS4 are Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre - and if you keep your eyes peeled on sales you can usually get them for $3-$5 for each game. They have very obtainable platinums as well in the 10-20% range!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:31 PM, realm722 said:

Heyo! Just wanted to drop by and say you have a nice collection of games here - I'm especially a fan of how you organized them in your OP. Very awesome Persona 4 Golden plat and I just wanted to ask you a few questions about your catalogue to get a feel of some of your favorite games. 

1) We have a number of games in common - but my question for you considering you enjoy visual novels, what do you think of VA-11 HA11-A? I don't really play many of them and I enjoyed my time with it - but I felt like the ending didn't have that true finality and I kinda wished it had a bit more of a tricky gameplay element when it came to making drinks. 

2) Yoo I see you're 1 trophy away from finishing Slime Rancher! I actually found the Rush Mode trophy pretty fun - there's a number of helpful guides out there that I'd recommend.

3) In terms of my own recommendations from what you've played, I'd say try to get back to Okami HD when you can - it's a really delightful experience for an older title. In terms of some games that I don't see on your catalogue, I don't know if you've ever heard of Supergiant Games - but I'd strongly recommend them if you're into beautifully artistically, well-designed, unique gameplay experiences. The 3 titles they have on PS4 are Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre - and if you keep your eyes peeled on sales you can usually get them for $3-$5 for each game. They have very obtainable platinums as well in the 10-20% range!

Hey there, and thanks! :D I do have to offer a bit of credit for my organization to some of the other checklist threads here, especially Cassylvania's. I had already sorted my games based on genre in a Google doc I had set up to track what I had digitally, but the other posts are what inspired my own!

1) I loved Va-11 Hall-A, I find the universe to be fascinating and I really enjoyed the system for mixing drinks. I'd never seen anything like it before and thought it was the coolest thing ever. And I would have never found it if I hadn't stalked my best friend's trophy list for some game recommendations! As for the ending, well, there's supposed to be a sequel coming sometime soon that may give you some more closure there. It's called N1RV Ann-A. I see you've also played 2064: Read Only Memories, that's set in the same universe, if that helps you with a bit of context for the ending.

2) I've actually tried rush mode like 3 times and had a terrible time of it lmao! My next few plats are planned due to my participation in the Fall/Winter 2020-2021 backlog challenge and my upcoming 75th milestone, but I plan on giving it another go after those games.

3) I have enjoyed what I've played of Okami HD, I just have such a bad habit of game hopping according to mood that even games I enjoy get abandoned... I plan on getting back to it soon though! And I have heard of Supergiant Games and all their titles, I just don't know a whole lot about them. I forget which one off the top of my head, but my best friend loves one of them. I'm trying to play more of the games I have at the moment, but I'll definitely pick one of them up at some point! Hades is another game by them, right? That's the one that most interests me, if it ever makes it to console.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

100% #16: Uncanny Valley

S238a7c.png

You know, I'm still not entirely sure what this game is supposed to be about even after looking up a summary of events. Though I never really figured out how to use the tapes you had to collect, and apparently a lot of the explanation was on those. I liked the 8bit design and I liked the music, but I'm still pretty confused about the story. Pretty simple gameplay, though. I'm a gigantic baby when it comes to horror games normally, but I think my being confused saved me from being too freaked out over this game. I don't know what it goes for in the store these days, but having gotten it for free from PS+ a couple years ago, I don't mind having spent the time on it. I wouldn't have paid more than $5 including tax, though. I'm just glad to finally have this done, though. I'd tried playing it several times in the past, but I never got past the minigame which was one of the first steps you had to take. Thank god I got through it easily this time, or who knows how long it may have taken me to go back and finish this game!

Edited by Hiyo_Rain
formatting
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

100% #17: Vampire: The Masquerade - Shadows of New York

S8c652f.png

I liked this one! It's a sequel to Coteries of New York, which I've already finished, but can be played standalone. It's better to play it as a sequel to Coteries, though, due to recurring characters, lots of references to its events, and a little more thorough worldbuilding. I'm also the 19th person to complete it, so that's cool! I kind of miss the feeding mechanic you had to use in Coteries, but this one was much more up my alley in terms of specific story details thanks to the investigation part. However, if you've struggled with life this year because of the pandemic, maybe don't play it until things start looking up for you because there are a lot of references to it. It is set earlier this year though, so I guess that's to be expected if they wanted a realistic setting. Either way, thanks to this game and Coteries, I'm really excited for Bloodlines 2 whenever it comes out! I've never played any other games in this universe, video or tabletop, but I'd love to sink my teeth (ha) into the universe even more!

100% #18: Never Alone

S9a2f5f.png

I'm terrible at platformers, so this game managed to piss me off a few times. But the story was really cool, being based on Inuit folktales. I wish I could have enjoyed the gameplay more since I liked the story so much, but it is what it is.

I sure have been playing lots of 100% only games lately... Hopefully my next update will be a plat!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plat #70: Jack N' Jill DX PS4

Se26ba5.png

I'm not super proud of doing another cheap plat immediately after one (not counting the 100% only games I've done between them), but there's a special reason. When I played the Vita version of this game, I did it 3 days after I lost my dog named Jack. I'd had him since I was 8, he and his sister Jill were my first and only dogs and I was absolutely distraught to lose him. So, I used some birthday money I had to get this game as my own way of memorializing him. Well, we lost Jill 3 days ago. So I did this game again with the PS4 stack that came with my purchase last year, to memorialize her the same way I did Jack. So... yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

100% #19: Gothic Murder: Adventure That Changes Destiny

S63fdb8.png

I remember stumbling across the trophy list for this game recently and thinking it could be fun, so I kept it in the back of my mind. Well, there's a Christmas challenge going on in my friend's streaming server on Discord, so I ended up picking this game up and playing it as part of my entry for the challenge! I really enjoyed this game, it was a fun indie VN focused around investigating strange occurrences and trying to prevent murder. The investigations reminded me a lot of The Devil's Daughter. I kind of wish this game had been longer, because I had a lot of fun with it, but it is a pretty typical length for an indie VN with such a small team as they had for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Plat #71: Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet

S4a9702.png

I was originally going to wait to play this game until after I had earned one or two other plats that were a bit more substantial, but I needed a bit of a boost to motivation after having not gotten any plats in forever. So, I played it now! This was a cute little indie VN, only took me about an hour with minimal skipping. You could probably get it in 20-30 minutes if you didn't actually read it, but I liked the story and the art was cute.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Plat #72: Hakuoki Edo Blossoms

Sf03403.png

Ah yes, another otome down. To avoid simping over samurai boys, let me just say that it was a good set of conclusions to the overarching story in this second half of the Hakuoki story and I had lots of emotions about this game. Pretty easy plat if you're not interested in actually reading it, but it'll take more time than the last couple VNs I've posted would as this one isn't a short indie one but rather a full length one with a decent budget.

100% #20: Death Come True

S2cb59b.png

This game was awesome! It's one of those games where it's a movie except you make the choices. It was written by the same person who wrote Danganronpa, so I noticed a couple similarities between this game and that series. It was really well written though, I was fascinated by everything that was happening and I got really attached to the characters. I would totally read a book or watch an anime or something about a story like this. It took me about 2 hours to finish the story (you get the last trophy maybe 10 minutes before the actual end), but if you only want the trophies, you can skip through most of the watching. Some people on this site have taken as little as 10-11 minutes doing it that way. I say it's worth actually watching, though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Plat #73: Murdered: Soul Suspect PS4

Sb034ad.png

I hadn't realized I'd forgotten to post this guy! I actually got this done on 12 February but apparently forgot to post it. Nothing much to say about it, this is a system stack for me. I felt like experiencing the story again, and it was on sale for dirt cheap. Still not a fan of the demons mechanic, but otherwise an interesting story in a decent walking sim.

Plat #74: Oxenfree

S86593f.png

This one I got today! I actually wanted to play this game years ago, one of my best friends showed it to me way back in freshman year of college several years ago. I even bought it on Steam to try to play on my laptop, but I could never get it to run on my crappy laptop, so I never got to experience the story. Well, it was on sale recently so I decided to nab it and finally get to experience it and... Wow. What a fascinating story, I loved the little details and the little changes between runs! Who knows, I may replay this game again someday for fun just because!

Plat #75: Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle

S7c6bdc.png

Now this game is just a Friday the 13th franchise reskin of my very first plat, Slayaway Camp. But I still had fun with it! It's a neat little slider puzzle where you go around killing everyone. Some of the grindy trophies were a bit annoying, but it's all still very doable so long as you keep a bit of determination if you don't manage them relatively quickly. It's a fun game, and I'm glad I got to do it as my 75th milestone as a throwback to my very first!

• Like 2

Plat #76: Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child

Sb998fc.png

A simple little point and click hidden object puzzle game! It had a pretty interesting story, and if the cliffhanger at the end is any indication there's going to be a sequel, I'll gladly play it! I nabbed this while it was on sale, but for this interesting story I might have been willing to pay full price. Oh, and a fun little detail I noticed too! During one of the hidden object puzzles, I spotted a toy I used to have when I was a kid. I hadn't noticed before that moment that some of the things in the hidden object puzzles in this game were photos of real things until I spotted that toy. So that was a fun extra thing I noticed! (The toy was a FurReal Friends newborn kitten plush if anyone is curious lmao, they're a very distinctive toy because the robotic parts that made it move made the plush look a bit funny.)

Plat #77: Ellen

S2e3cc3.png

This indie horror was pretty interesting. I got some serious spooks while playing by myself, but once I started following a video guide because I kept getting lost, it wasn't very spooky. Most of the story was in the notes, but I remembered to read them this time! It's actually got a bit of a sad story to it. I was kinda really frustrated with the save system though, as there was one part near the end where I kept dying and the closest autosave was 5-10 minutes back. It would have been nice in that situation to be able to save manually, or to have another autosave happen.

I enjoyed reading about this journey, as realm722 said above the lists are really impressive. Nice to see a number of games I've never heard of elsewhere, plenty to look into.

I've played 2 or 3 of the other Sherlock Holmes games and I'm pleased to report they all holdup quality wise, devil's daughter is certainly the best looking but the others aren't to shabby and the stories and investigations flow really well.

Anyway don't want to clutter your posts with my claptrap too much, thank you for taking the time on this thread it's a good read.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aceterix said:

I enjoyed reading about this journey, as realm722 said above the lists are really impressive. Nice to see a number of games I've never heard of elsewhere, plenty to look into.

I've played 2 or 3 of the other Sherlock Holmes games and I'm pleased to report they all holdup quality wise, devil's daughter is certainly the best looking but the others aren't to shabby and the stories and investigations flow really well.

Anyway don't want to clutter your posts with my claptrap too much, thank you for taking the time on this thread it's a good read.

That's good to hear the other Sherlock Holmes games are good! I just got Crimes and Punishments during the last sale, so I'm excited to play it after I finish a few other games.

Thank you for letting me know you like this thread! It's very much appreciated :D and I'm always down to chat about the games I've played!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Plat #78: Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Se72499.png

I got the plat for the first game before I started this thread, so for some background, let me explain my opinion of the first game. I thought it SUCKED. Imagine whatever expletive you want, I probably have used it to describe this game. I liked the second half of the last chapter and I liked Warren's character, and that was about it. I hated Chloe, I found Max to be a little boring, and I hated how Max let Chloe walk all over her. I hate teenage drama BS, and despite all the cool sci-fi/crime stuff they could have done with various plot points, the majority of it was teenage drama BS. I expected to like it a lot because of how everyone hyped it up and that what I knew of the story seemed cool, but nope. Luckily I got it for free from PS+.

. . . Unfortunately, not the case for Before the Storm. I bought it before playing the first game, expecting to like it, and when I didn't, I regretted having spent money on this game and was dreading having to play it. Normally I would just sell it back and deal with the net loss to avoid playing it, but I bought it digitally, so no reselling. I felt obligated to play this eventually since I can't resell a digital copy. Luckily I got it on sale at least... Anyway. Onto my opinion of this game. I hated playing as Chloe, because I still don't like her even after playing this game and seeing more of her motivations/formative years. But I did kinda like Rachel's character (when she wasn't throwing a fit), and this game had more of a generic crime thriller vibe to it than generic teenage drama BS. So... I guess my opinion is a little less strong about this one. I could probably comfortably describe it as okay, but not really good in terms of my taste.

My apologies to anyone who likes this game/series. You do you, it's not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

I definitely love the categorization in your OP. 

Uncanny Valley is a little indie horror game that many people overlook. You may want to give Lone Survivor a try, although the map and multiple playthroughs can get a bit annoying. 

Good list. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I definitely love the categorization in your OP. 

Uncanny Valley is a little indie horror game that many people overlook. You may want to give Lone Survivor a try, although the map and multiple playthroughs can get a bit annoying. 

Good list. 

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I definitely loved the visuals for Uncanny Valley. I missed out on a lot of story stuff by never figuring out how to view the tapes, though, and I saw that most of the story was on those. Whoops! I'll definitely take a look at Lone Survivor though, thanks for the recommendation :D

• 2 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree with your points of view on both of these games, I do get that they are well made and the music is good at times and even occasionally better than good, but I just couldn't identify with the characters almost all of the time which made the stories drag.

Captain spirit seemed a little bit better, but possibly because it was over so much faster...

I've been tempted to try life is strange 2 because it's different characters, but I think that might just make me a glutton for punishment.

Edited by Aceterix
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:25 AM, Aceterix said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your points of view on both of these games, I do get that they are well made and the music is good at times and even occasionally better than good, but I just couldn't identify with the characters almost all of the time which made the stories drag.

Captain spirit seemed a little bit better, but possibly because it was over so much faster...

I've been tempted to try life is strange 2 because it's different characters, but I think that might just make me a glutton for punishment.

See, I couldn't even really enjoy the music! I hate the style of indie music where the singers are whispering more than actually singing, and slow music is boring to me 9 times out of 10. I did like the music from the concert at the start of Before the Storm, though, that was good. Part of my problem with Life is Strange being so full of teenage drama BS is when I played the first game I was working for a school district, so I had to deal with it all day every day except weekends, and then I would come home and force myself through more to try to get it over with already. It was overwhelming and I'm glad I never have to play it again.

Haha I think it does! I've been warned against playing 2 so many times, since even big fans of 1 and Before the Storm managed to not like it. So if you didn't like those two either... Join me in staying the hell away from it ?

Plat #79: CSI: Fatal Conspiracy

Sd92440.png

When I found out about this game, I absolutely had to play it. Everyone knows how terrible CSI the show is in terms of accuracy, but having studied forensics in college to become a CSI tech myself, it's extra disgusting. So, I needed to see how bad the game was in comparison to the show. The story was interesting, which I'm pretty sure is thanks to Telltale being the developer. They also wrote accurate descriptions for most of the tools. In terms of the actual investigations and usage of the tools though... It was terrible. Improper procedures and inaccurate representation of protocols, all on top of the usual problems from the show (CSI techs don't carry guns or carry out warrant requests or interviews, and they aren't jack of all trades who do every single type of evidence, they have specialties that they focus on). Despite all the inaccuracies that usually irritate me with the show, though, I actually had a pretty good time playing this game. I'm very pleasantly surprised!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Plat #80: Angels of Death

Sd16564.png

This was a good game! It's an RPG Maker indie "horror" game, and I used to love those games back when I was younger. So, when I found out about it, I had to get it and play it. It was a really interesting experience, and I can see why it was so popular that it got picked up and made into an anime and manga. I had a lot of fun exploring the various floors, seeing what crazy things the dev came up with as methods of murder and torture for the characters to use or experience. The backstories for the main characters are also super sad and I loved learning more about them. Oh, and I'm also the 9th person to get plat in this game, so that's exciting too!

Also, I wrote a guide for this game as I played it! At the moment it's under review, but hopefully the site's staff like it and approve it soon!

Edited by Hiyo_Rain

• 4 weeks later...

Plat #81: The Book of Regrets

S0779b8.png

This was just a cheap, short little indie text adventure. Its style reminded me of Dungeons and Dragons kind of, or maybe some of those old school choose your own adventure books. It was interesting. I don't have a whole lot else to say about it!