The horses of RDR

Wade_VC

In Red Dead Redemption, without your horse you're stuck walking, which is slow and boring, not to mention deadly in many situations. Chasing opponents and being chased by opponents on horseback is common, so you'll want to make sure you have a good horse.

The Best Horses

There are many horse breeds in Red Dead Redemption. The three best horses are:

American Standardbred

Hungarian Half-Bred

Kentucky Saddler

You'll find that the American Standardbred is the fastest. It is completely black, which makes it a very easy breed to pick out if you don't have your own horse nearby and you need to horse-jack a different animal. The Kentucky Saddler is a pearl color, while the Hungarian Halfbred is white with a darkened face. These two breeds are not quite as fast as the American Standardbred, but still very speedy.

Identifying a horse breed by eye is, of course, most useful when you're out on the range and need to grab a horse immediately. You can also buy a horse from a general store.

Another great horse is the War Horse. The War Horse is very fast and strong and has great stamina. However, you can only gain access to this horse if you purchase the limited edition or you pre-orderd the game from select retailers.

Other Horses

Ardennais - This is a typical horse with a brown coat. Normal speed, normal price.

Cleveland Bay - Unlocked in high level multiplayer, but not very special, with normal speed and stamina.

Dutch Warmblood - A black and brown horse with normal speed and stamina.

Highland Chestnut - Above-average stamina, average speed. Has dark hind legs and a lightly colored body.

Jaded Tersk - Gray in color and looks puny. Not a fast horse, but inexpensive to buy.

Lusitano - A fairly basic horse, red, average speed and stamina.

Lusitano Nag - A sickly horse unlocked in multi-player. Not worth riding under any circumstances.

Standardbred Pinto - White and brown horse with normal speed and stamina.

Tersk - Champagne colored horse with normal speed and stamina.

Tobianto Pinto - Same as the Standardbred, but with white on its face.

Turkmen - Unlocked in multi-player. Not that amazing of a horse, actually. Just a bit above average in all regards.

Quarter Horse - A variant of the Chestnut breed. Has a white face, average speed and stamina.

Welsh Mountain - An average brown horse with white legs and face.

Imo the Hungarian Half-Bred was the best one, it just didn't feel like the American Standardbred was that much faster, if even at all, and the Half-Bred had way better stamina :)

I too preferred the Hungarian as well. Just like you, I thought it had better stamina and I also didn't notice any considerable speed between the two.

But these were all overshadowed by the Undead Nightmare horses, so I apologize if my appreciation for these is a little dimmed.

Although I agree with you in that the horses found on Undead Nightmare are beyond awesome, I didn't post those as not everyone has the Undead content.

• 1 month later...

Although I agree with you in that the horses found on Undead Nightmare are beyond awesome, I didn't post those as not everyone has the Undead content.

The Undead horse is a pain in the arse. Damn thing won't stay straight. I'm currently using the flaming War's Horse for my undead adventure. The regular War horse in the regular game is simply the best.

The Undead horse is a pain in the arse. Damn thing won't stay straight. I'm currently using the flaming War's Horse for my undead adventure. The regular War horse in the regular game is simply the best.

Yes it is.....I was referring to the 4 horses of the Apocalypse, not the standard "undead" horse. The undead horse is just horrid.

Lol, I remember thinking my controller was about to go on the brink the first time I rode one the undead horses.

War was nice to look at, but I liked Pestilence's invincibility better.

War's horse died on me. Got overrun by a bunch of undead while I was trying to save a town. Looks like he got pushed into some water and drowned. I don't know if the undead killed him or the water did... :(

...of course we know you made a save file the very moment you found War to go back to in case of this very thing.....right? :|

• 8 months later...

American Standardbred is my favorite. its got great speed, stamina seems great. Makes me kinda sad when the horse randomly dies on me.

During online game play, i think its still the best horse. I currently have the Albino Buffalo and although its got good amount of health and lots of stamina, it just never goes to me. so there are times where running away usually ends up with me getting killed cause the buffalo won't go towards me.