So how bad is the grind to unlock characters?

BlitzkriegHottie

According to Reddit, it is ****ing awful. 

I have one character in mind, her name is Qiqi, and apparently she and all the other rank 5 characters only have a ridiculously low chance of unlocking: 0.6%

I want to know how long does it take to grind in order to keep buying the wishes in hopes of finding the character I want? 

I mean, the lack of a platinum was already discouraging but I was going to let that slide since the game looks fun, but if I'll be enslaving myself for countless hours just to get a tiny chance of getting the character I want to play as, then I don't know if I should be playing this at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

... I'll be enslaving myself for countless hours just to get a tiny chance of getting the character I want to play as, then I don't know if I should be playing this at all.

It's a gacha, if you aren't paying for them this is basically how they work. 

0.6% is standard rate for 5 star characters when they don't have increased rate on banners. If you're not paying for currency then you're not really "grinding" for characters, because you don't get that much of the currency in game to do pulls with after the start where you've got through the intial stuff and you're at the point of basically daily grinding. 

Pulls are done with fate items. It's 1600 primogems for 10 fates, doing a 10 pull guarentees you at least one 4 star item typically.

From gameplay reading the tutorials when they pop up is 1 gem, opening chests seems to typically give 2. Achievements are typically 5. Finishing a tier of objectives in the adventure log is 50, sometimes story quests also seem to give 50. The monthly sub (which I don't know if you can actually buy on PS4) gives 300 of the MT currency (which you can spend 1:1 for primogems if you want) and then gives 90 primogems per day when you log in. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gage said:

0.6% is standard rate for 5 star characters when they don't have increased rate on banners.

Wait, so there will be events in which the character I want will be "on sale"? I mean, will Qiqi have a day/week in which she'll be easier to get? 

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie

37 minutes ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

Wait, so there will be events in which the character I want will be "on sale"? I mean, will Qiqi have a day/week in which she'll be easier to get? 

Potentially, but since the game is new there won't be any known schedule or anything for specific banners as far as I'm aware. 

Screenshot_20200928-092756_Genshin_Impac

That's the stated rules for the current character specific banner. 

To be fair, no one knows the answer to your question yet. No one knows what the late game rewards will look like cause the game hasn't even been out 14 hours yet. Any information you get will just be speculation for now.

I will say though, going into a game like this hoping for one specific character is just setting yourself up for failure. Every character I've tried so far has been fun and unique. You really have to go into something like this willing to "play the hand you're dealt" kind of deal. I had 0 interest in Noelle based on the fact that she was a free 4 star but I've barely stopped playing her since I got her.

1 hour ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

According to Reddit, it is ****ing awful. 

I have one character in mind, her name is Qiqi, and apparently she and all the other rank 5 characters only have a ridiculously low chance of unlocking: 0.6%

I want to know how long does it take to grind in order to keep buying the wishes in hopes of finding the character I want? 

I mean, the lack of a platinum was already discouraging but I was going to let that slide since the game looks fun, but if I'll be enslaving myself for countless hours just to get a tiny chance of getting the character I want to play as, then I don't know if I should be playing this at all.

Yes Genshin has a pretty low chance rate, to put it into perspective with other games:

Genshin Impact you have a 1/333 (0.3%) for a 5 star character (the other 0.3% is for 5 star weapons) total: 0.6%

Dragalia Lost 1/25 (4%)

Arknights 1/50 (2%)

Fate Grand Order 1/100 (1%)

Epic 7 1/80 (1.25%)

Every Gacha pull (Wish) is 160 Primogems

Banner events feature 5 Star characters and weapons but they are NOT cheaper or easier to get (Still 0.6% chance)

The most important thing of Banners is the Pity system: If you do 89 wishes (tries at the gacha) and you DO NOT get a 5 Star character or weapon THEN your 90 Wish will give you a Guaranteed 5 Star character or weapon (But only a 50% chance that the guaranteed 5 star is the featured character). If your 90 wish gives you a 5 star character but it's NOT the featured one THEN at your 180 wish (yes another 90 tries) you will get the featured character 100% Guaranteed

Now, 180 tries at the gacha is 28,800 Primogems, that's 4-6 months of playing every single day or spending $230 US Dollars in Genesis Crystals (1 Genesis Crystal = 1 Primogem)

But wait, getting a 5 star character is the Easy part

Once you get one, let's say Qiqi now you have to upgrade her talents (Constellations) there's 6 levels of Constellations, to upgrade a Constellation you need an item called Stella Fortuna this item ONLY drops when you obtain a duplicate of the character, so yeah if you want a 5 Star character fully upgraded you will need to get him/her not once but 7 times (that's like 2 years of grind everyday).

Tldr: Your best option is to wait for Qiqi to get her Banner, grind enough primogems to do 180 wishes and because of the pity system you will get her 100% guaranteed or you could just be very lucky that also works...

(5 star characters are not worth it specially for F2P players, 4 star ones are cheaper, easier to get/upgrade and their stats are not that different from 5 stars)

• Like 3