A ton of issues with failing to obtain IP lately

Varhur

Seems like every 2-3 days, even more common than lately, I can't connect to PSN, issue always being failing to obtain IP. On the 1st half of the day everything can work just fine, then it pulls a "fuck you" on me, and nope, can't log in now. It's really annoying when I'm trying to do some online stuff (was about to start Professional walkthrough in Resident Evil 5, but I can't, because issues). Can anyone offer some help?

• Like 1

So, ¿you are not the only one? The same issue applies in my house. I am right now hunting online PS3 trophies and it is becoming a hard chore. Everything can connect in my house: TV, my nephew's Nintendo Switch, cellphones. The only 2 electronical devices with consistent issues when connecting are my PS3 and my PS4 systems. Yes, replaced the modem, yes, i changed the microfilters, yes, i tweaked everything in the network settings, both in the systems and the PC (incluiding ports and DNS) so i am suspecting is something on Sony's side.(nothing unusual in this case).

Edited by Vampirehunter145

1 hour ago, Varhur said:

Seems like every 2-3 days, even more common than lately, I can't connect to PSN, issue always being failing to obtain IP. On the 1st half of the day everything can work just fine, then it pulls a "fuck you" on me, and nope, can't log in now. It's really annoying when I'm trying to do some online stuff (was about to start Professional walkthrough in Resident Evil 5, but I can't, because issues). Can anyone offer some help?

Yes, I've had the same problems too. Recently, it was the worst when Ghost of Tsushima came out. I assumed that it was because so many people were downloading it, but it carried on for a month.

In the end, I bought a new wireless modem transmitter to plug into my router, and a wireless extender. I'm convinced that part of the problem is the wireless password, so the idea behind the modem was to be able to not have a password for connection. This has definitely made it better.

The idea behind the wireless extender was to connect to it via a wired connection, but this is basically a joke. It suddenly fails for no reason and tells me there is no Ethernet connection, so I gave up and went back to wireless.

I should note that all of this is on PS4. The Internet on PS3 has been spotty on PS3 recently, but PS3 in general has no issues with connections.

On my network are two PCs, two smart phones, three PS consoles (PS4, PS3 and Vita) and a printer. The only things that have problems are the PS4 (the most problematic), the PS3 (occasional issues) and the Vita (top of the class, teacher's pet, never a single issue, stays connected 24/7).

Oh, and my new phone is a Sony Experia. That also works perfectly. Maybe Sony's mobile division needs to have a word with their console division. ☺️ 

1 hour ago, Vampirehunter145 said:

i am suspecting is something on Sony's side.(nothing unusual in this case).

Could well be as my problems make no sense either, particularly PS4.

However, have you tried allocating a dedicated IP for the consoles in the PS interface and assigning that IP in the router? I did this and it worked for a while.

I also extended the IP range for the home network in the router, as IP address conflicts were definitely one source of problems.

I also changed my router's IP to 192.168.1.254 as that was conflicting with the wireless extender I bought, which wanted to use the IP address the router used to be on.

I absolutely despise networking and I think the tech is a joke (and I am basically professional level at it having worked for a Telco and two Smart Home companies - God help a regular person!). It's so hard to troubleshoot. If someone could invent a magic moron's interface to auto-fix everything it would sell like hotcakes. But I digress.

The intermittent nature of the problems, as you say, makes me think a lot of it is a Sony issue. Nothing else in the house has any problems whatsoever.   

7 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

No idea what happened there.

Edited by baboon_overlord

If your modem and router is leased to you by your ISP, make them earn your monthly fees and bug them to solve this issue. 

If your device isn't even being an assigned an IP address by your DHCP, that's at your router level. The only situation I can think of when that situation happens (can't be assigned an IP) is when something is telling your router to assign it a specific IP address and another device is trying to use the already assigned IP address.

There are so many things to consider when trying to trouble shoot network issues, it's hard to even begin. I'd start with making sure everything is accepting assigned IP addresses and nothing is trying to ignore DHCP and assign it's own IP address. Then I'd start taking everything else off the network by turning them off until you get the PS4 to work to find the conflicting device.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 2