Sony need to fire their web development team

baboon_overlord

When the 2020 wrapup I noticed some weirdness too. Like I was in bed and wanted to check out my stats from my phone.

No matter what I tried though, clicking on the weblink from my phone using the twitter link, would auto redirect me to the Playstation login screen. EVEN THOUGH I am logged into my UK Playstation account on my phone using the official Playstation App.

I mean I live in Japan now and my UK address my parents house is still valid, but it kept saying I wasn't logged in and that stupid auto redirect to the Japanese location and wanting my Japanese playstation account login. It's the wrong account idiot!!

Anyway I had to log in using my PC in the morning, PC was fine, just mobile didn't work. It's little issues like that though which are tiny for now, but maybe one day will become an issue.

Oh? you can't log into your UK account anymore due to your Internet being Japanese?

I can see that happening at some point.

Killing the store functionality on web browser for PS3 and Vita so you have to use the native store on the consoles themselves is bad enough, but making weird relocation links using your IP seems very stupid, which is even worse when you think that nothing was wrong with the old system up till now.

11 hours ago, DaivRules said:

While it’s none of Sony’s business why someone might be in another country, someone having their birthday wrong is a red flag on a whole lot of levels and something any company responsible for data security as well as age enforcement responsibilities should absolutely pay attention to. 

Agreed about the birthday part but location is also important for them as a company.

One part has to do with money and taxes being different in different countries. Together with exchange rates it means that having an account in another country might be beneficial.

Another problem has to do with what is allowed in all countries. Some countries don't get certain violent or sex related games or have altered versions where the gore is removed. So if they noticed your account region doesn't match your real region... they might decide to close your account as well.

A thing about the birthday part: Back in the day it was impossible to change a sub account to a master account. So a lot of people would change their birthday when they made their account because else they would be stuck with a sub account when they turned 18. I know people that were 21 and still had a sub account. They had their trophies and bought stuff on it so it's not a simple 'make a new account' to fix that. Luckily Sony finally understood that but there's still a lot of people with accounts from back then and a wrong birthday. Sony just deactivating those accounts when you call support is also a dick move because they are the cause of the problem and don't allow people to fix the wrong info. They should allow you to change your birthday once if the account was made before they allowed to convert it from sub to master account.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:45 AM, baboon_overlord said:

I agree that a lot of modern web design is useless. Google still doesn’t know how to make an intuitive interface, every single one of their products is an exercise in illogical layout and menu design. I don’t use Google Search anymore, DuckDuckGo is way better, but when I do occasionally use Google, the site design looks ten years out of date on PC. I don’t use Facebook either, but when I see their web design I start laughing. It’s like 2008 called and asked for their web design back. 263a.png

Google Search has had the same look since around 2006 - 2007. But that's the only simple thing they have that is logical. All the crap they forced onto people in YouTube over the years has mostly been counter intuitive. They're just another stupid corporation.

Facebook needs to die a quick death, and Mark Zuckerberg's name erased from the history books. I will admit, Facebook was pretty cool back in the day, but it has long outlived its usefulness. It has turned into a behemoth that MySpace could only dream about.

I hear you on the customer service stuff. The last time I contacted Sony UK support I was having a weird issue with Uncharted 1 on the Remaster on PS4. Naughty Dog’s forums are now a joke, so I couldn’t contact them. The UK support told me to contact the publisher, to which I replied “that is what I am doing now”. It beggars belief that Sony support staff don’t know that perhaps the biggest PS IP is published by the company they work for!

Does anybody remember watching the interview videos on the people who developed Uncharted 2? Once you beat the game and did some other stuff you could unlock actual interview footage of the developers. Same with the original God of War.

What the fuck happened? Why aren't developers that open anymore?

Yes, I have a post-graduate diploma in marketing, it’s equal to a Master’s Degree. You know that there are tons of 100% free courses offered online these days, right? For example, I wanted to brush up on my contract writing skills, so I took a free course from Harvard Law School. There are loads of courses here - https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free

It’s just an example but you don’t need to spend a fortune on these things these days. My post-graduate diploma only cost about £200, plus about £50 on books, from my local college (although that was quite a long time ago now to be fair).

So tell me why are there so many college kids out there still spending thousands on tuition and book fees? Why are they sinking so badly in debt?

The problem isn’t really capitalism, it’s this disgusting crony capitalism that we now have. Big Tech, Wall Street, etc all pay obscene amounts of money in the form of campaign contributions, speaking fees and lobbyists. As a consequence, no-one uses anti-trust legislation to break these companies up, like they should do.

The problem is then compounded by central banks printing trillions in fake money, lending it to these corporations for peanuts, which is then used to buy back stock. This makes the stocks completely overvalued by any normal metric (P/E, EPS, dividend yield, etc) which in turn makes the CEO look like some kind of genius.

There have been many studies on this subject and many older people seem to agree it started back in the 1980s when Ronald Reagan was president. The demise of unions and the NAFTA thing contributed to corporations getting more than their fair share. The CEO salary has literally increased exponentially in the last 20 - 30 years.

Another subject that caught my attention was an article I read which stated that in the year 2012, 90 percent of all the media in America was controlled by literally only six corporations. I don't know what happened to the six company as I think it is now five. In 1983, there were at least 50 companies that had 90 percent of the media, which tells me there has been a lot of mergers and big business deals to eliminate competition.

The Koch Brothers are guys who have done much to turn the favor over to the super rich at the expense of everyone else. When I look at Andrew Wilson of EA and Bobby Kotick of Activision, I just think of them as completely useless.

Basically, there are several theories but the one that made most sense to me was that innovative, entrepreneurial people tend to try new things. When things don’t work out, that’s a negative on their reputation, so they tend not to get promoted, and then leave the company. The people who never try or never do anything productive don’t have any negatives associated with them, so they tend to rise through the ranks.

That's basically the business executive mentality. They don't want to take risks. People can say what they want on Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, I have my utmost respect for them because they took risks and helped pave the way for future tech companies to follow. But that was decades ago.

The CEO for Apple is just some guy who tries to dress good, but has no real plan for the company. I haven't found anything innovative from Apple in over 10 years now. When they were innovating, it was because Steve Jobs was there keeping the handle on things.

The other problem with these corporations is that management literally spend all day in meetings. They never do any work. When I’ve managed teams in the past, I would only use “Japanese meetings” where everyone stands. A one hour meeting “mysteriously” only takes ten minutes that way.

What doesn't help either is the vast majority of office desk jobs are completely worthless now. It's just a bunch of filing on the internet and then it gets lost in translation. My mom has worked in job counseling for over 40 years and will probably retire this year because nothing ever gets done. No work gets done. She generally tells me it used to be a lot better, but she is forced to do useless, mundane tasks from the corporate management who stand above her.

I sincerely doubt that Jim Ryan has even looked at the new website, or maybe he looked at it for ten seconds and was asked if he liked the design.   

I doubt he cares regardless. It just irritates me that people like him are at the helm, when there are plenty out there who have more discipline and experience to handle the job properly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2021 at 1:01 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Google Search has had the same look since around 2006 - 2007. But that's the only simple thing they have that is logical. All the crap they forced onto people in YouTube over the years has mostly been counter intuitive. They're just another stupid corporation.

The most delayed reply in PSNP forum history. Sorry mate. ☺️ Google can't design an intuiive interface, It has never happened and never will. I just typed a list of products that suffer from this but my browser went haywire and I lost it all. So let me just say, I have been a Google SEO master since 2003. They certainly didn't use to suck to the extent they do now. Now, THEY REALLY REALLYSUCK.

Facebook needs to die a quick death, and Mark Zuckerberg's name erased from the history books. I will admit, Facebook was pretty cool back in the day, but it has long outlived its usefulness. It has turned into a behemoth that MySpace could only dream about.

Facebook, and its baby, Instagram are creating generations of narcissists. I know people who check their phone hundreds of times a day to see if they have notifications. Phantom phone vibration is undoubtedly one cause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_vibration_syndrome 

Either way, this is social engineering "at scale" as these fuckwits like to say all the time.

Does anybody remember watching the interview videos on the people who developed Uncharted 2? Once you beat the game and did some other stuff you could unlock actual interview footage of the developers. Same with the original God of War.

What the fuck happened? Why aren't developers that open anymore?

Social media.You can probably find stuff like that on their marketing accounts now.

On 11/02/2021 at 1:01 PM, AJ_Radio said:

So tell me why are there so many college kids out there still spending thousands on tuition and book fees? Why are they sinking so badly in debt?

Because they are told that they "need" a degree to get the best jobs, Same in the UK, but why would you employ an American when you can much more cheaply employ an Indian on an H-1B visa who isn't going to complain because they don't have 100k in debt and can make ends meet on what you propose to pay them, unlike you?

There have been many studies on this subject and many older people seem to agree it started back in the 1980s when Ronald Reagan was president. The demise of unions and the NAFTA thing contributed to corporations getting more than their fair share. The CEO salary has literally increased exponentially in the last 20 - 30 years.

Another subject that caught my attention was an article I read which stated that in the year 2012, 90 percent of all the media in America was controlled by literally only six corporations. I don't know what happened to the six company as I think it is now five. In 1983, there were at least 50 companies that had 90 percent of the media, which tells me there has been a lot of mergers and big business deals to eliminate competition.

The Koch Brothers are guys who have done much to turn the favor over to the super rich at the expense of everyone else. When I look at Andrew Wilson of EA and Bobby Kotick of Activision, I just think of them as completely useless.

Complex. America, like much of the West, is being hollowed out by corruption. I thought I was pretty "woke" to the extent of the revolving door between industry and regulators. I read this article today and it is a million times worse than I thought. Please read this, this is one of the best articles I have ever read on the subject: https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/gcmaf-and-persecution-david-noakes-lyn-thyer-immuno-biotech

Politically, I have my shit together and have for a long time. I am a centrist liberal, who happens to be progressive in the sense that so much legislation (in the UK, which is where I am from) is asinine and needs to be repealed. The only thing I have never nailed down is regulation, and this article makes me extremely angry. We need to put in place systems to ensure that regulators CANNOT be corrupted, or they are worthless. This is one of the reasons I am not a Libertarian, although I do have many Libertarian tendencies. I WANT regulations and also WANT them to work, which they currently don't.  

The ironic thing about the Koch brothers, which I learned recently due to Max Blumanthal of TheGrayzone -  https://thegrayzone.com/ - is that both Soros and Koch are running various NGOs together. Remember when Bernie Sanders said "open borders is a Koch Brothers proposal" in 2016 and then did a 180 four years later? Yeah, oligarchs don't have principles. 

That's basically the business executive mentality. They don't want to take risks. People can say what they want on Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, I have my utmost respect for them because they took risks and helped pave the way for future tech companies to follow. But that was decades ago.

The CEO for Apple is just some guy who tries to dress good, but has no real plan for the company. I haven't found anything innovative from Apple in over 10 years now. When they were innovating, it was because Steve Jobs was there keeping the handle on things.

Bill Gates bought DOS from someone for 50k and then asked his Mum to pitch it to IBM, so they would put it on all their machines and pay him a royalty. This would never happen in any other situation. Gates comes from a family of eugenicists, there is ample evidence that IBM assisted the Nazis in the holocaust. Birds of a feather flock together. Gates is a high school drop out who got lucky on who he knew, not what he knew.

Jobs was also a horrific man. A "Buddhist" who accumulated money, had no philanthropy programs and who could fire you because he was in a bad mood and you were unlucky enough to be in the same elevator as him, at the wrong time, despite him not knowing who you were. Great marketer, yes. Technical genius? Absolutely not. Exploiter of people. Apple is a $2T company that still has suicide nets to stop their manufacturers from killing themselves. Plus kids chained outside to lampposts outside the facility. The kind of fuckhead I would happily smack in the face if I worked for him. I will never buy an Apple product as long as I live. They are complete garbage anyway. 

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1

What doesn't help either is the vast majority of office desk jobs are completely worthless now. It's just a bunch of filing on the internet and then it gets lost in translation. My mom has worked in job counseling for over 40 years and will probably retire this year because nothing ever gets done. No work gets done. She generally tells me it used to be a lot better, but she is forced to do useless, mundane tasks from the corporate management who stand above her.

I have been advocating working from home since forever. When I am in management, I always tell people to go home and chill if there is no work to be done (never applies to me because I have to much to do most of the time). The entire workforce is based on the Industrial Revolution, as is education. Train people to be good factory workers, then expect people to work like they are working in factories. It's ridiculous.  

I sincerely doubt that Jim Ryan has even looked at the new website, or maybe he looked at it for ten seconds and was asked if he liked the design.   

I doubt he cares regardless. It just irritates me that people like him are at the helm, when there are plenty out there who have more discipline and experience to handle the job properly.

The guy needs to go. Phil Spencer is pissing in his cornflakes and he's thrown away every advantage Sony had in a matter of months. Sad.

Just got this today:

Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you that from 1st April 2021, emails that you have consented to receive from Sony will now be sent in the language of the country you reside in.

Thanks,
Sony

That's for Sony mobile phones.

Also, the PS4 console Store is now showing shit in French, despite me being a en/gb member.

I am telling you people that Sony as a whole has lost the fucking plot. Apparently if you live in another country than the one you are from you can get fucked. It seems that Sony now believe that globalism is only for corporations, not people. This underlines exactly what I have posted in this thread previously, which some people mocked me for.

• Like 3

I don't know why the fuck these big corporations can't hire competent web designers - it's absolutely absurd. They make very pretty websites that have worse functionality than HTML pages from the early 2000s. One of the most frustrating recent examples was having to call up CVS (multiple times) because their website lacks the ability to edit your shopping cart when getting medications delivered.

The Playstation store has been following suit; the storefront has gotten progressively worse for the last few years. I've posted about this multiple times, and I will continue to do so; it was immensely frustrating when they removed the ability to search by genre a few years back. At least they have collections, I guess, but it's still absurd to not have a properly searchable storefront. And of course there's the even worse, more recent downgrade, which now forces me to go to steam to get basic information about a game, e.g. screenshots. We laugh at that 1 million dollar Pepsi logo redesign document that read like the writing on a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, but that seems to be the standard for corporate decision making.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, baboon_overlord said:

I am telling you people that Sony as a whole has lost the fucking plot. Apparently if you live in another country than the one you are from you can get fucked. It seems that Sony now believe that globalism is only for corporations, not people. This underlines exactly what I have posted in this thread previously, which some people mocked me for.

The only reasons I'm still holding on to Sony are the trophy system and some of their exclusives. If it weren't for those I would of jumped ship to Steam years ago. Sure, Steam couldn't care less about most of their people either, but their interface is smooth, streamlined and loads almost instantaneously. I can't do that with Sony's garbage web browser store. The PS5 interface is two steps backwards in comparison to the PS4 interface, based on what I've seen on Twitch livestreams.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:14 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

I don't know why the fuck these big corporations can't hire competent web designers - it's absolutely absurd. They make very pretty websites that have worse functionality than HTML pages from the early 2000s. One of the most frustrating recent examples was having to call up CVS (multiple times) because their website lacks the ability to edit your shopping cart when getting medications delivered.

You looked at the shit webpages back then. A lot of websites I recall from the early - mid 2000s had simple designs, but they were effective. The main issue was getting on a Windows XP computer and using dinosaur dial-up/DSL internet connections, because good luck trying to do anything on those flip phones.

Modern mainstream web design is basically presentation over substance and structure. A lot of big corporations with websites have terrible web design, they make the graphics and pictures way too fucking big. Ad Block Plus is basically mandatory at this point, because otherwise I'm bombarded with shitty annoying television ads on YouTube and other places.

Sports like NBA, NFL and MLB have their main websites too fucking bloated.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, baboon_overlord said:

The most delayed reply in PSNP forum history. Sorry mate. 263a.png Google can't design an intuiive interface, It has never happened and never will. I just typed a list of products that suffer from this but my browser went haywire and I lost it all. So let me just say, I have been a Google SEO master since 2003. They certainly didn't use to suck to the extent they do now. Now, THEY REALLY REALLYSUCK.

You basically admitted your age (42) on a post a little while back. You're probably old enough to remember that there were several search engines in the early 2000s, a few I can think of were Hotbot, Lycos and Ask Jeeves. Only Google survived because this was during the tech crash of 1999 - 2001, the ones I mentioned are practically forgotten now.

Google is one of the most obvious and best examples of 'Big Brother is watching'. Because they are. Western civilization is becoming more and more of a dystopian society with every passing day.

Facebook, and its baby, Instagram are creating generations of narcissists. I know people who check their phone hundreds of times a day to see if they have notifications. Phantom phone vibration is undoubtedly one cause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_vibration_syndrome 

Either way, this is social engineering "at scale" as these fuckwits like to say all the time.

You're a late Generation Xer, social media didn't quite impact you guys at first as it did for us. We were the first to pick up on MySpace and Facebook, the Boomers and the Gen Xers came afterwards.

Between a bunch of 18 - 40 year old narcissists and a gathering of old, angry, grumpy Baby Boomers bitching about everything on social media, it's no wonder our self esteem has gone down the tubes.

Really makes me yearn for simpler times every now and then.

Social media.You can probably find stuff like that on their marketing accounts now.

Which are bullshit, because Sean Murray and Neil Druckmann were both assholes to their audience. The videos and behind the scenes footage of passionate people making great games like God of War and Uncharted are mostly a thing of the past. Too many social justice warriors and morons willing to grab their virtual pitchworks over nothing.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, baboon_overlord said:

Politically, I have my shit together and have for a long time. I am a centrist liberal, who happens to be progressive in the sense that so much legislation (in the UK, which is where I am from) is asinine and needs to be repealed. The only thing I have never nailed down is regulation, and this article makes me extremely angry. We need to put in place systems to ensure that regulators CANNOT be corrupted, or they are worthless. This is one of the reasons I am not a Libertarian, although I do have many Libertarian tendencies. I WANT regulations and also WANT them to work, which they currently don't.  

The ironic thing about the Koch brothers, which I learned recently due to Max Blumanthal of TheGrayzone -  https://thegrayzone.com/ - is that both Soros and Koch are running various NGOs together. Remember when Bernie Sanders said "open borders is a Koch Brothers proposal" in 2016 and then did a 180 four years later? Yeah, oligarchs don't have principles.

Washington DC is completely corrupt. Nothing ever gets done because corrupt politicians vote and turn down anything that doesn't entirely agree with them.

Donald Trump rocked the system more or less. He just gave the morons out there the okey dokey that it's okay to be stupid and ignorant. There is no true Democrat or Republican anymore. Both parties have been beaten to death and shot down, the people that make up the extremes are mostly in politics for their own selfish gain. I place myself around the middle, who has some Libertarian viewpoints, but not far enough left to truly be a Libertarian.

All of the media stations (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News) are full of shit. Nothing is neutral, everything has to be told with propaganda in mind. It's 'brain washing' in the works, something that's been going on since assholes like Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones became the commentators and voices. Alex Jones is one of the biggest pieces of shit out there, and if he was president could of very well rivaled Donald Trump as the absolute worst. I would say Alex would of been worse.

Right now we have BLM (Black Lives Matters) and the Proud Boys. I've done research on both and yeah, not good at all. They'll far more likely to tear apart America than rebuild it.

When was the last time we had regulators that weren't corrupt? You would have to go back decades ago at the very least.