Sony Offering PS3 New Owner's Kit

Wade_VC

ai_140.jpg

Sony has announced that it will offer a bundle to help get new PS3 owners in the HD game more quickly. The New Owner’s Kit will include a wireless DualShock 3 controller, and HDMI and USB cables; the big draw is that Sony claims the bundle will offer a total of $24 in savings over buying these components individually.

The kit will run at retail for $69, and is available at both GameStop and Wal-Mart. Given that a controller retails for $54 on its own, the cables are an additional $15. With HDMI cables running close to $15 on their own, the deal is certainly a good addition to those who bought the entry PS3 package.

Source: IndGam

• Like 1

that was the only thing i hated when i lived in canada! Buying a game or accessory seemed to break the bank, when you work out the exchange rate it falls correctly but aways seemed like i was getting scammed.

eg. game in uk £35 game in canada $60 + tax

Sorry this a lil off topic but just made me think of it again after reading the prices in your post.

for me Id just buy each individual item off ebay for a quarter of the price. Depends if you want the hassle or not but I bought a HDMI cable off ebay from hong kong and it cost me like $5 Australian Dollars and there worth like $90 over here or something like that and it does the same job as the expensive one.

And like Spark-N said these should just be included in the ps3 bundle already.

• 2 weeks later...

This is should all be included with the PS3 anyway.

I just need the controller, so this is no help.

I disagree. Not all of us have those new fangled HD widescreen TV's. True, I could run the HDMI thru the receiver, but it would be a waste for a 480 standard fat 32" crt TV. Sony (or any company for that matter) won't upgrade the "minimum standards" until the minimum standards change. Figure that most CRT tv's will be gone in another 5 years (mine's 20+ years and still going strong) and HD will be the norm, then you might see the RCA cables go away. But, until then, you have to include the lowest common denominator so everybody can play & play w/o having to buy additional equipment. You have to agree, nothing sucks more than getting your new purchase home to only find out that you need to go back to the store and buy an adapter...or even worse, unwrappin' that Christmas present and not being able to play it until the stores re-open TOMORROW. Spent quite a few holidays looking longingly at the box growing up cause we needed a part "Not included."

I disagree. Not all of us have those new fangled HD widescreen TV's. True, I could run the HDMI thru the receiver, but it would be a waste for a 480 standard fat 32" crt TV. Sony (or any company for that matter) won't upgrade the "minimum standards" until the minimum standards change. Figure that most CRT tv's will be gone in another 5 years (mine's 20+ years and still going strong) and HD will be the norm, then you might see the RCA cables go away. But, until then, you have to include the lowest common denominator so everybody can play & play w/o having to buy additional equipment. You have to agree, nothing sucks more than getting your new purchase home to only find out that you need to go back to the store and buy an adapter...or even worse, unwrappin' that Christmas present and not being able to play it until the stores re-open TOMORROW. Spent quite a few holidays looking longingly at the box growing up cause we needed a part "Not included."

Agreed 100%, especially with this comment:

"Figure that most CRT tv's will be gone in another 5 years (mine's 20+ years and still going strong) and HD will be the norm, then you might see the RCA cables go away. But, until then, you have to include the lowest common denominator so everybody can play & play w/o having to buy additional equipment."

Although many think these items mentioned "should" be included, Big Business isn't going to give anything additional like the aforementioned package away for free, regardless of the cost to them.

You also have to remember, systems lose money with every sale. It actually costs Sony and MS more to put their systems in the stores than they bring in from the sales. Although that $1.50 per system might not seem much on it's own. Multiply that by the 5-10 million units sold, that's 7.5 to 15 million extra dollars in costs.

Although that $1.50 per system might not seem much on it's own. Multiply that by the 5-10 million units sold, that's 7.5 to 15 million extra dollars in costs.

...and that is what far too many lose sight of. For us it is only $1.50 per unit, but as you noted, multiply that by millions and it adds up quick.

...and that is what far too many lose sight of. For us it is only $1.50 per unit, but as you noted, multiply that by millions and it adds up quick.

They could also put the $1.50 cable in the box and charge $3.00 for it... I think they could make an "HD" bundle... could come with a BluRay movie and an HD cable or something like that...

I have had to purchase the two cables for my two PS3's because I have two HD TVs because it doesn't look as good with component cables... Its not that big of an issue to me but they can still charge for the cable if they put it in the box... its not like they would put it in the box for free anyway, lol...

My newest PS3 was about $250 but they could have thrown in a cable and charged $255 and i wouldn't have even noticed a difference in price... so they have the potential to make money on the deal if they did.