DrunkenEngineer's OCD Funhouse!

DrunkenEngineer

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

It's still a good game, and my intention wasn't to dissuade people from checking it out.  I would still buy and play it, 100%, knowing what I know.  But it's a solid 7/10, maybe an 8/10, while the other Arkane games are like 11s.

edit: Damn, I just noticed I put the wrong picture in for my Deathloop review, and Smevz quoted it.  My OCD!!!

Edited by DrunkenEngineer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I popped the platinum on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and owe the thread a review.  It might take a little bit for me to get around to it as I'm just not feeling that motivated to sit down and do that.  It took me close to 8 weeks to finish the game so I'll need to put some more time into the NG+ playthrough to refresh my thoughts.  Suffice to say, it's a very good game and a lot of fun.

Coming up in December I'll be traveling for a couple of weeks, visiting my retired parents in a warmer climate.  I spent a little cash on a nice travel case for my PS5, so when I have downtime I'll get some gaming in.  Not sure exactly what I'll have lined up for that moment.  Likely the DLC for Manhunter as it's on sale and all the annoying trophy bugs were recently patched out.

I still have multiplayer trophies to tackle for Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2 but I am just not feeling it.  I've been feeling pretty burned out cleaning up my trophy profile so I'm going to take a step back and hit it hard in the new year.

The Elden Ring network test occurred recently (I wasn't lucky enough to get an invite) which gave me the itch to revisit the Dark Souls games which I own on Steam.  Been playing Dark Souls Prepare to Die EditionDoom Eternal (patch just dropped with a new mode I completed to maintain my 100%) and Hades.  All fantastic stuff.

• Like 3

Good shit, man. Travel will do you good! Also I feel you on bein burned out.. seems like every time I stopped gaming for long periods of time, it was due to not taking regular breaks!

I seen Hades and all the Dark Souls games on sale, which got me like uhhh.... these sales are evil! You can have so much on your plate but a sale comes along to get you like "ooh, I think I'll be free in March of 2023, I should buy that!"

Looking forward to your R&C review. You're right to not rush it, it's usually best to wait til it's something you really wanna do then and there. Besides, I already know you're gonna kill it anyway??

• Like 2

As someone who is about 1 plauthrough away from the Dark Souls Remastered platinum, I'd say go for it. Been pretty manageable other than the Four Kings. Not lot of farming either, about 2 hours total for me.  Not sure if I'll get around to DS2 & 3 prior to eldin ring releasesbut I want to make sure I do before I play it. 

Edited by damcrac5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Good shit, man. Travel will do you good! Also I feel you on bein burned out.. seems like every time I stopped gaming for long periods of time, it was due to not taking regular breaks!

I seen Hades and all the Dark Souls games on sale, which got me like uhhh.... these sales are evil! You can have so much on your plate but a sale comes along to get you like "ooh, I think I'll be free in March of 2023, I should buy that!"

Looking forward to your R&C review. You're right to not rush it, it's usually best to wait til it's something you really wanna do then and there. Besides, I already know you're gonna kill it anyway1f609.png1f44a.png

Thanks bro!

The Dark Souls games are long investments - Hades is, too.  However, Hades is the perfect "chip away at" game - runs take like an hour to do and it's meant to be played a billion times.  I pick it up and play a run from time to time whenever I'm between stuff.

15 minutes ago, damcrac5 said:

As someone who is about 1 plauthrough away from the Dark Souls Remastered platinum, I'd say go for it. Been pretty manageable other than the Four Kings. Not lot of farming either, about 2 hours total for me.  Not sure if I'll get around to DS2 & 3 prior to eldin ring releasesbut I want to make sure I do before I play it. 

Oh man, I've got tons of history with Dark Souls.  The Prepare to Die Edition was the original release on Steam, and I have 200+ hours in it.  Back then it had no Steam achievements, but those were added like 4 years ago and I've booted it up and am playing through with several of my legacy characters.  Would like to get the 100% sometime.

Dark Souls 2 I never finished, Dark Souls 3 I did (but never checked out the DLC).  Sekiro I have the 100%, along with Bloodborne and Demon's Souls Remake on PS4/5.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Platinum #27 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (November 13, 2021)

It's funny, I was a little cold on this one - (it made a spot on my "Most Disappointing"  list, despite winning my "Best Looking"!....

...but actually, I still basically come to the same overall conclusion you do, and agree with your final thesis statement:

12 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

If you have access to a PS5 it's worth at least a rental.

Totally a game worth seeing - even if it's probably just for the one time through the platinum, and lacks some of the meat that previous R&C games had.

Frankly though, it looks so good, that it's impossible not to recommend people at least see it through - and see what their shiny new PS5 can do with visuals in the right hands!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 0:01 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

It's funny, I was a little cold on this one - (it made a spot on my "Most Disappointing"  list, despite winning my "Best Looking"!....

...but actually, I still basically come to the same overall conclusion you do, and agree with your final thesis statement:

Totally a game worth seeing - even if it's probably just for the one time through the platinum, and lacks some of the meat that previous R&C games had.

Frankly though, it looks so good, that it's impossible not to recommend people at least see it through - and see what their shiny new PS5 can do with visuals in the right hands!

I can see how one would be pretty cold on it, but it's a WYSIWYG kind of game - pretty shallow and meant to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

It's funny, I had similar feelings about Deathloop in contrast to your review.  My review was trying really hard to be positive, but after many months of reflection I'm pretty disappointed in it.

• 1 month later...

Nice work on Mordor man - those DLC's can be a real sticking point for some -  they sure were for me for a long time!

Good luck with the Last of Us MP too - a brilliant MP, and with great trophies - finally a MP game that rewards actually, y'know, playing the game, the way you want to, without having to tailor your play style to specific metrics!

It's a great MP too - just a great time!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice work on Mordor man - those DLC's can be a real sticking point for some -  they sure were for me for a long time!

Good luck with the Last of Us MP too - a brilliant MP, and with great trophies - finally a MP game that rewards actually, y'know, playing the game, the way you want to, without having to tailor your play style to specific metrics!

It's a great MP too - just a great time!

I’ll share some nice stories about the DLC Mordor trophies when I post my review.  I did the 100% on both Steam and PSN, and they were harrowing.  I honestly dreaded doing the PS4 version because of that stress, but got both trials done in an afternoon apiece.

I think I saw a post of yours in the TLOU section on how to git gud at the MP, so I know it won’t be too bad once I settle in.  I always find starting new stuff sort of stressful when I have expectations going in - one of my New Year’s gaming resolutions was to chill about that and just focus on having fun.  And playing more multiplayer games with buddies as a way to reconnect.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I’ll share some nice stories about the DLC Mordor trophies when I post my review.  I did the 100% on both Steam and PSN, and they were harrowing.  I honestly dreaded doing the PS4 version because of that stress, but got both trials done in an afternoon apiece.

I think I saw a post of yours in the TLOU section on how to git gud at the MP, so I know it won’t be too bad once I settle in.  I always find starting new stuff sort of stressful when I have expectations going in - one of my New Year’s gaming resolutions was to chill about that and just focus on having fun.  And playing more multiplayer games with buddies as a way to reconnect.

I've always wanted to play the Middle Earth games.  I really appreciate that they changed the trophy requirements when they took down the multiplayer servers.  Seems like the DLC is a pain?  Guide shows a 5 and 6, is it really that difficult?

As for TLOU, I also really want to play it, but with my backlog I might wait it out and hope for them to release a rumored ps5 version that I expect to not have multiplayer trophies.  I'm purely basing this off of the confirmed? TLOU stand alone multiplayer title will carry that responsibility, plus with the HBO series coming out, maybe they'll re-release the two games in a collection similar to the Legacy of Thieves Collection which also excluded the multiplayer portions.  The risk I take is that I might miss out on some boosting opportunities.  Speaking with someone who used the boosting community on the boosting thread, they got the MP trophies done in 14 hours.  I'm getting closer to playing it either way.  Need to get over it and knock it out so I can enjoy what is supposed to be a great game and sequel.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

I've always wanted to play the Middle Earth games.  I really appreciate that they changed the trophy requirements when they took down the multiplayer servers.  Seems like the DLC is a pain?  Guide shows a 5 and 6, is it really that difficult?  

It’s honestly not that difficult with a guide that tells you the exact strategy to use.  The RNG is what will kill you.  Once you get past the 15 minute mark in a Trial of the Wild run I’ll get a complete with all the requirements for the trophy.  But those first 15 minutes can be frustrating to set up.

4 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

As for TLOU, I also really want to play it, but with my backlog I might wait it out and hope for them to release a rumored ps5 version that I expect to not have multiplayer trophies.  I'm purely basing this off of the confirmed? TLOU stand alone multiplayer title will carry that responsibility, plus with the HBO series coming out, maybe they'll re-release the two games in a collection similar to the Legacy of Thieves Collection which also excluded the multiplayer portions.  The risk I take is that I might miss out on some boosting opportunities.  Speaking with someone who used the boosting community on the boosting thread, they got the MP trophies done in 14 hours.  I'm getting closer to playing it either way.  Need to get over it and knock it out so I can enjoy what is supposed to be a great game and sequel.  

I would probably wait for a PS5 version as well, but I already have a trophy record so c’est la vie.

How can I convince you to knock the MP trophies out with me? :)

3 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

How can I convince you to knock the MP trophies out with me? :)

Ha!  I'm about 8 and 15 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda and Ghost of Tsushima, so I'm a ways away from getting started on TLOU.  Plus, found out I'm going to be traveling for the next week or so, so that will halt any progress I can make on these.  Will be time for some Vita titles.

• Like 1

Congrats, and great write up mate!

Was just gonna say:

26 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I've read that the sequel was controversial at launch because of the microtransactions.  It seemed like the publisher found a sleeper hit with Shadow of Mordor, and mined its sequel unnecessarily.  

It absolutely did get a lot of flack at launch (and from what I understand, quite rightfully so!) however, all that is but a memory now - the game was reworked to remove all that stuff, and it is a very good, pleasant and fun sequel now ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It absolutely did get a lot of flack at launch (and from what I understand, quite rightfully so!) however, all that is but a memory now - the game was reworked to remove all that stuff, and it is a very good, pleasant and fun sequel now 1f44d.png

It's on my wishlist, and barring a good sale I can always borrow a disc copy!  I missed out on redeeming the PS+ copy, but oh well!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Great review!! I've heard the Shadow of Mordor name thrown around quite a lot, and you make it sound like an absolute blast! Also, you are a straight up beast, bro. The Test of the Wild you talked about intimidates me a bit... but as we all know, conquering those ones is by far the sweetest plum!

I'm booked pretty solid for February (last month of a challenge I'm in), but come March if you're still toiling away at the Last of Us MP, you can count on me to jump in and help out however I can!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Great review!! I've heard the Shadow of Mordor name thrown around quite a lot, and you make it sound like an absolute blast! Also, you are a straight up beast, bro. The Test of the Wild you talked about intimidates me a bit... but as we all know, conquering those ones is by far the sweetest plum!

I'm booked pretty solid for February (last month of a challenge I'm in), but come March if you're still toiling away at the Last of Us MP, you can count on me to jump in and help out however I can!

Thanks boss!

I booted up TLOU MP last night and…it’s good?  Like I stink at it, but the trophy journey doesn’t seem that hard.  As the good Doctor said it really let’s you play however you want.  You can straight up lose every match and still complete the trophies just fine.  I got up to Week 3 last night on my own and time flew by.  I would really prefer it if I didn’t get stuck in matches with lvl 999s on the opposite team, but at least those go by quick as I’m curb stomped.

I’m really bummed it took me this long to try out the multi as it’s legit fun, but 6 years too late haha.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Thanks boss!

I booted up TLOU MP last night and…it’s good?  Like I stink at it, but the trophy journey doesn’t seem that hard.  As the good Doctor said it really let’s you play however you want.  You can straight up lose every match and still complete the trophies just fine.  I got up to Week 3 last night on my own and time flew by.  I would really prefer it if I didn’t get stuck in matches with lvl 999s on the opposite team, but at least those go by quick as I’m curb stomped.

I’m really bummed it took me this long to try out the multi as it’s legit fun, but 6 years too late haha.

Great to hear the multiplayer is enjoyable. I thought the same thing about the ghost of tsushima multiplayer. Though I imagine TLOU won't take as long. Need to bump it up on the priority list. 

• Like 1