1L7e1c54.png

Trophy Statistics

The Good

• Music is appropriately 16-bit and synthy
  • A well-established sense of place in Harbor Prime

The Bad

• Combat is a drag and can be trivialized with a stun-stealth combo
  • Weird shadow glitches

Full disclosure: my experience with Dex was definitely colored by my desire to be efficient with the playthrough.  The game is absolutely riddled with missable trophies, and it’s likely the developer’s intention was to provide motivation for multiple playthroughs.  Staring at a trophy guide can be really distracting in this kind of story driven, branching path, action role playing game.  That last statement is a little generous towards Dex, however, as there are really only 2 endings that amount to “which button did you push?”

It’s a stylish 2-D sidescrolling indie immersive sim mashup, with very cool music, appropriate pixel art (with some bizarre technical issues with the lighting), but it does have a bothersome hacking minigame and some truly bland combat.  Play it on “casual” and invest in skills that let you stun bad guys and then you can exploit the one-hit-kill sneak attack mechanics.  The main story itself is truly predictable, it’s the side quests where the world building really shines.  Oddly enough the platinum will pop before the credits roll.

Imagine if Blade Runner, Johnny Mnemonic, and Hackers walked into a bar and hooked up with Deus Ex, the resulting baby of uncertain parentage would be Dex.  This is Dex’s strength; it’s unashamed of it’s blatant influences and and expects the player to appreciate that.  And if that fails to connect with the player, you’ll come out of the experience a little cold.  I know I did.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Platinum #34 - Dex (July 1, 2022)

1L7e1c54.png

Great write-up, my G!!

Full disclosure: my experience with Dex was definitely colored by my desire to be efficient with the playthrough.  The game is absolutely riddled with missable trophies, and it’s likely the developer’s intention was to provide motivation for multiple playthroughs.  Staring at a trophy guide can be really distracting in this kind of story driven, branching path, action role playing game.  That last statement is a little generous towards Dex, however, as there are really only 2 endings that amount to “which button did you push?”

My experience was about the same, but I don't think it detracted toooo much. I have a dumb habit of following the guide and then deviating away in this dismissive "I'm having fun, I got this!" attitude... only to run back like "crap, did I miss anything??"

That simple ending was a bit disappointing for me too. I guess it's a testament to what the game accomplished up to that point, but it seemed like the ending was rushed or something!

It’s a stylish 2-D sidescrolling indie immersive sim mashup, with very cool music, appropriate pixel art (with some bizarre technical issues with the lighting), but it does have a bothersome hacking minigame and some truly bland combat.

Agreed pretty hard on all counts but one, I actually kinda liked the hacking minigame! Bein real though, those last couple just kinda kept going, they didn't wanna end and that got kinda old? plus by that point your hacking is so overpowered you're just like "yeah, can we wrap this up?"

Imagine if Blade Runner, Johnny Mnemonic, and Hackers walked into a bar and hooked up with Deus Ex, the resulting baby of uncertain parentage would be Dex.  This is Dex’s strength; it’s unashamed of it’s blatant influences and and expects the player to appreciate that.  And if that fails to connect with the player, you’ll come out of the experience a little cold.  I know I did.

Well said!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 8:18 PM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Platinum #37 - DOOM (1993) (September 14, 2022)

1L6673fc.png

Trophy Statistics

The Good

• Classic FPS gameplay that is timeless - "boomer shooter" retro FPS titles are thing for good reason
  • Soundtrack that is wholesale ripped off from awesome metal tracks

The Bad

• Nightmare co-op is an actual nightmare; missed the mark by not providing remote co-op options

While Wolfenstein 3D predates it, DOOM is the game that started the first person shooter (FPS) genre as we know it.  Released in 1993 through a brilliant proto-crowdsourcing campaign (Shareware!) it took the world by storm.  I remember blasting away at demons huddled in my basement on a Intel 486 PC, probably a little too young for such a game but hey, I turned out OK!

This game still plays well, even today.  DOOM is presented as a 2.5D shooter, where the environments are fully 3D and the items and characters are 2D sprites.  There is no vertical mouselook; the game tracks the heights of enemies in relation to Doomguy and makes the appropriate adjustments when firing.  It can still be finicky, and countless times I've blown myself up with a rocket when trying to tag that fireball-chucking Imp just on that ledge over yonder.  The gameplay is fluid and crisp, controls are tight, and the soundtrack absolutely rocks.  The whole goal is to make your way to level exit by any means necessary, collecting keys and weapons as you blast through hordes of hell spawn.

This would be a very easy trophy list save for one "Not So Bad" - complete the original 3 episodes in Nightmare Co-op.  There are several challenges with this.  First, co-op is local only via splitscreen.  Having a buddy play over a network connection would have been welcome.  Second, nightmare difficulty introduces more enemies, makes them especially aggressive, and adds random respawns.  To further add insult to injury, a recent update changed the behavior to be in line with the original 1993 PC release, where enemies have double animation speed, including movement and attacks.  Most people elect to play it solo, with the second controller tucked away.  Thankfully, player respawns are infinite and progress made in the level carries forward.  This trophy will consist of brute-forcing levels, making incremental progress until finally reaching the exit.  I created a playlist on Youtube of clears for what I considered the most troublesome levels.  Here is an example of the torment one will face:

It's possible to downgrade the game to an earlier version, pre-fast monsters.  This would take the game from a 9/10 difficulty down to maybe a 6, I'd expect.  I did the whole thing on the latest patch, and if I can do it it's well within the capability of a dedicated, focused player!

Forgot to post here saying congrats for getting a super hard platinum! Respect to you! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rise, rise from the grave!

I took the month of December off from any sort of serious trophy hunting.  New year and all that, so it's back to business as usual.  I've got a completion for Middle Earth: Shadow of War that I'll provide a write up in the next couple of days.  I hope to log even more completions than last year, but life tends to circumvent our best laid plans.  Still, with the aid of some awesome community challenges I'm looking to another great year to shred out the old backlog.

My major goalposts for 2023 are as follows:

1. Clean up the last outstanding multiplayer trophies.  That leaves two titles:
    1. Death Stranding
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Continue to participate in community challenges

Happy New Year ya'll!

• Like 3

Platinum #42 + DLC 100% - Middle Earth: Shadow of War (January 17, 2023)

1Lfd4eb8.png

Trophy Statistics

The Good

• Orc personalities have been taken up a notch
  • Crunchy Arkham-style combat
  • Looting and crafting system that stays in it's lane
  • Exceptional graphics and production values

The Bad

• We are still living in an age where we hold "X" to run in a game with analog walking controls
  • The story is better than the first game, but that's not saying a whole lot.  Tolkien purists will riot.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War is a sequel in the most classic of videogame senses.  Every knob and dial present in the first game has been turned up to eleven.  More skills, more systems to juggle, more online features, bigger DLCs, more maps.  At first it can be pretty overwhelming, but the game does a great job of slowly introducing the new features, and for the most part all of them feel natural. The real meat and potatoes - "fucking with Orcs" - has been preserved and is by far the strongest feature of the game.  The Nemesis system really does emergent gameplay well and it would be fun if we saw it in more games.

I found the second DLC, The Desolation of Mordor to be a pleasant surprise and an interesting take on the trials we saw in the previous game.  From a trophy hunting perspective, this one is much much easier than the first.  Probably the most difficult has you killing a Captain with an Olog, riding it buckin' bronco style.  I did find the online stats finicky, and spent a rather long time leveling up my Fortress Defense ratings and becoming frustrated when the numbers in the online menu wouldn't match what I was seeing out in the game world.

I avoided this for a rather long time as I felt Shadow of Mordor was just the perfect amount of schlock and any more layers to it would be unwelcome.  I'm glad I was wrong!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Nice job with The Evil Within. I keep hearing AKUMA isn't as hard as it was first made out to be. I feel like I say I'm going to get around to that game every Halloween but never do because of all the other games I play around that time. Are you looking forward to the sequel?

It really wasn't that bad, to be honest.  I can wholeheartedly recommend the game year round, why wait for Halloween? Hah!

The sequel is great.  I've actually played both games on PC so I was pretty excited to revisit them on PlayStation.  It's a bummer that Tango Gameworks is parented by Microsoft, so we won't be seeing any further games on this platform. 

• 1 month later...

You're going to hate me for saying this... but... you've kinda sold me on getting this game thanks to your gameplay. Looks fun. No sarcasm. Leo is dope. He's like one of these guys:

vintage-circus-strongman-with-big-300-lbs-weights.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=w5bIVcDbf6QVeJBRt8eY1vYi0FJbIve2TcyM6XKvNFc=

... and when he puffs up he kinda looks like Ned Flanders. And his little comments and grunts? And the music (especially around the 51 min mark)... I think you've inadvertently sold it. Desert/underwater cave levels looks cool too. When I started watching this at first I hesitated after five minutes worrying about spoilers. 

I thought you were cooked at 49.50 let alone the next minute. If you can bounce off the gears like you did at 50.46 then why even try to avoid them at all? ?

4 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

There were several spots where I definitely experienced some anal puckering!

ebae92a8438123506bf793f55cb27038.jpg tell me more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

You're going to hate me for saying this... but... you've kinda sold me on getting this game thanks to your gameplay. Looks fun. No sarcasm. Leo is dope. He's like one of these guys:

vintage-circus-strongman-with-big-300-lbs-weights.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=w5bIVcDbf6QVeJBRt8eY1vYi0FJbIve2TcyM6XKvNFc=

... and when he puffs up he kinda looks like Ned Flanders. And his little comments and grunts? And the music (especially around the 51 min mark)... I think you've inadvertently sold it. Desert/underwater cave levels looks cool too. When I started watching this at first I hesitated after five minutes worrying about spoilers. 

I thought you were cooked at 49.50 let alone the next minute. If you can bounce off the gears like you did at 50.46 then why even try to avoid them at all? 1f602.png

ebae92a8438123506bf793f55cb27038.jpg tell me more.

You are absolutely correct with those points you called out where I should have been toast.  Those close calls were where my "anal puckering" comment came from.  I ripped some of my chair fabric I clenched so tight!

I cannot emphasize enough how much you should play the game with the D-pad.  A majority of my struggles were with using the analog stick, and not realizing that the up and down inputs don't do anything.  Many puzzles (like at 38:48) took me hours to clear when practicing in a consistent manner because of the damn analog stick.  Switch to the D-pad, consistent every time.

I was tempted to run through it again on Steam just to really bully the game, but @Copanele called me names and told me not to ?

Edited by DrunkenEngineer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Platinum #48 - Super Time Force Ultra (September 26, 2023)

1L5223eb.png

Trophy Statistics

The Good

• Deceptively deep gameplay loop
  • Unique, platform specific characters - Sir Galahad slays
  • Helladeck level are hella hard, but hella good

The Bad

• Tutorial is a little lackluster and there is no way to revisit
  • The most 2010s humor you can imagine

This is probably the most schizophrenic completion I can recall.  Hot off a really tough game streak, I popped into this one back in June of 2023.  And I immediately noped out of it.  Super Time Force Ultra is a 2D Contra-like with a time rewind mechanic and early 2010's puerile humor.  The latter was really the cherry on the top of what appeared to be a shit-sunday.  Between that and the sparse tutorial I really failed to connect with the game at first.

However, being the person I am, I was not going to let this game get me down.  All of my friends have raved about how good it is, it's consistently ranked as an under-the-radar "easy" Ultra Rare completion (owing to PS+), so I knew I was coming back to it.  And once I did I discovered this game truly is a gem.  To go from struggling to get through mission roadblocks with an outrageous scrum of phantoms, to progressing smoothly and only rewinding a handful of times, sometimes very strategically, was immensely satisfying.

Just know what you are getting into with this game.  If you are someone who doesn't typically play 2D platforming shooters (*raises hand*) you'll want to start with something a little more straightforward.  Oh, and absolutely work on the Helladeck levels as they unlock; they are really the Tutorial 2.0 and do a fantastic job of introducing the little tips and tricks that make the campaign runs more fun!

• Like 4