Can you switch between Maniax/Chronicle on NG+?

Raidou is one of my favorite characters in the series, and I messed up and chose Dante, I thought he replaced Dante with the Maniax DLC but it was the other way around... I heard a guy mentioning a guy with a "red coat" but I was sure Raidou was part of Maniax, but then I defeated Forneus and Dante come out, so I wanted to ask, can I at least change to Chronicles and have Raidou on NG+ or I need to restart the game?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, YonahFuriae said:

Raidou is one of my favorite characters in the series, and I messed up and chose Dante, I thought he replaced Dante with the Maniax DLC but it was the other way around... I heard a guy mentioning a guy with a "red coat" but I was sure Raidou was part of Maniax, but then I defeated Forneus and Dante come out, so I wanted to ask, can I at least change to Chronicles and have Raidou on NG+ or I need to restart the game?

Thanks!

Yeah, after finishing game you can simply choose other game mode, but before that you need to load save file with completed story.

My first playtrough was with Raidou, I got true demon ending, and then I chose Maniax with Dante on Hard. And it worked! I wasn't sure, but I had NG+ jacket as well, so :) There you go

• Like 1

Also unrelated to the topic...but is this game in the persona universe? I didnt know what this was so googled it and the enemies looked like persona enemies

It sounded like they were different series but also part of the same series.

If i love persona would i like this game?

10 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Also unrelated to the topic...but is this game in the persona universe? I didnt know what this was so googled it and the enemies looked like persona enemies

Persona is a spin off of SMT. Persona just became much more popular. 
You might like this if you like Persona, but SMT is basically all dungeon crawling with little story to guide you. There are no social links, stats or day to day slice of life stuff.

the fusion and demon collecting are the main draw

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Liking Persona is not a guarantee, they are very different games.

Hardly any story in SMT

Atlus just likes to reuse assets a lot, so it makes a lot of sense that Persona would have the same "enemies" as SMT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Persona are spin-offs from the main franchise which SMT is part of. Persona are about story and characters, while SMT games give you a rought context, which is set in a post-apocalyptic universe where you chose a path between law, chaos, neutral, and other like in SMTIV, also you use the demons in your party instead of characters, here the main characters besides the MC have another purpose, each is tied to an alingment. The demons are the same, I would say the main difference besides is that in SMT you see the demons in battle instead of just shadows and you can recruit them by an original and super fun talk mechanic, but they did a mix between SMT and Persona on P5 which was super great so this is not a diffence anymore, they even added incenses on P5R. Another fun thing about SMT games is that you interact with the demons, and they can give you quests related to their mythology or folklore while on Persona games you don't.

They're so different, you can love SMT and hate Persona and the opposite, SMT is more like a western RPG and persona a JRPG because in one you make the choices and the outcome and in the later you're presented with the story to enjoy it. I personally love both extremes, there's not a bad SMT title really among the 40+ there is, unlike what happened with FF franchise after IX.

Edited by YonahFuriae
  • Like 2

I agree with most of what others said, but SMT stories, while not quite as fleshed as Persona, are still pretty good if you dig in. When I think of "hardly any story" I think of Dark Souls/Bloodborne type games. Each of the MegaTen games has a fairly solid story, though as noted they all have the common theme of law/neutrality/chaos and being set at the end of the world/approaching such.