Campaign tips ?

Ashesheart

Hi,

I go back to this game this week and got the carkour trophy. After that, i think the game will be a piece of cake... And i played the campaign. I am currently at phase 8 (first tournament) and the AI is very cheated !!!

I don't understand, one colision and you won't be able to retrieve the first place. And the AI is always attacking you. I don't know how to finish the campaign mode. It's very difficult to finish at the 3rd place required to unlock the next tournament.

Does anyone have some tips to help me ?

First of all, you need to GIT GUD. It's a hard game, so you need to get up on your skills, there is no way to cheese it. It means doing the tracks over and over again until you learn it, understand where you should use the speed related items and develop a good aim to hit your adversaries when they are ahead of you. 

Now, the good thing about this game AI is that it's a really good one, but it doesn't have a noticeable rubber banding (they get better items when they are behind, but so do you) and the AI race against one another and not only against you. Racing games normally elects one or two adversaries to be your competition in a given tournament with the other ones tanking in, but it isn't the case in this one at all. This means that when you are racing, you can adopt two courses of action depending on how your race is going. You need to keep the championship picture in mind, so if you are way ahead of everyone, keep going, grab the points and move on. If you are lagging behind but you see your direct rival is near you, give him hell, make sure that he finishes very low in the standings, even if you finish far off the lead too. With time you will learn to manage the AI and your only problem will be to learn the track. 

• Like 3

Thanks @ElBolovo and @Hvalpen.

Since your help me i finished phase 8 and 9. 

On 29/05/2021 at 4:16 AM, xXBurniXx said:

Hi.

can someone please explain how the ramraider trophy works? do i have to hit 3 enemies with a rocket or slam with the charged ramraider?

It is not the good topic to answer but since the last update of the game, you don't have to charge it or it won't work. You can boost it in local multiplayer game with 4 controllers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashesheart said:

Thanks @ElBolovo and @Hvalpen.

Since your help me i finished phase 8 and 9. 

It is not the good topic to answer but since the last update of the game, you don't have to charge it or it won't work. You can boost it in local multiplayer game with 4 controllers.

Okay. Thank you! 

• 8 months later...

I am really enjoying the feeling of incredibly high speeds and clever track design in this game so far, but after getting to Tier 5 in the campaign I was stunned at how drastically the game shifts from crazy fun to crazy frustration. The AI rubber banding is infuriating, and it seems to work in their favour far more than in yours. I’m finding at this point that no matter how well you drive for the first few laps you cannot gain any real advantages on the other drivers, because one tiny mistake or bump from an opponent throws you off so badly that the race becomes unsalvagable. Having to restart in the final lap a dozen times is becoming the norm.

Even when driving cars with the lowest speeds and the best handling possible, I am having difficulty avoiding getting bumped or veering off the track eventually. I can’t even imagine the level of bs waiting for me in the higher tiered races with hard/Wild AI settings… Of course I didn’t expect this game to be easy, but I also didn’t expect to feel such a lack of control over the result either. It is beginning to feel like there is way too much that is out of your control and you have to rely on luck and praying more than skill and track knowledge a lot of the time.

If anybody has some good tips on learning the AI, which cars to use on which races etc. it would be very helpful.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 2:56 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I am really enjoying the feeling of incredibly high speeds and clever track design in this game so far, but after getting to Tier 5 in the campaign I was stunned at how drastically the game shifts from crazy fun to crazy frustration. The AI rubber banding is infuriating, and it seems to work in their favour far more than in yours. I’m finding at this point that no matter how well you drive for the first few laps you cannot gain any real advantages on the other drivers, because one tiny mistake or bump from an opponent throws you off so badly that the race becomes unsalvagable. Having to restart in the final lap a dozen times is becoming the norm.

Even when driving cars with the lowest speeds and the best handling possible, I am having difficulty avoiding getting bumped or veering off the track eventually. I can’t even imagine the level of bs waiting for me in the higher tiered races with hard/Wild AI settings… Of course I didn’t expect this game to be easy, but I also didn’t expect to feel such a lack of control over the result either. It is beginning to feel like there is way too much that is out of your control and you have to rely on luck and praying more than skill and track knowledge a lot of the time.

If anybody has some good tips on learning the AI, which cars to use on which races etc. it would be very helpful.

I’m glad you posted this opinion because I’ve been feeling the EXACT same sentiment. It’s super fun, but man, there are some shitty quirks that make it “tough” 

The rubberbanding AI means you’re always having to drive with near perfection, and one bump from the opposition or fuck-up essentially ruins the race for you. Your best bet in these situations is trying to specifically beat the racer that’s closest to beating you in the overall tournament.

If you can manage memorizing the tracks and boost locations, it becomes slightly less infuriating, though your success is still mostly determined by the randomness of the AI behavior, mostly in regards to getting beaten/bumped around. 

Simply put, as you said, there’s a ton that’s completely out of your control within this game, which is purely where the difficulty comes from. So unfortunately, skill and track knowledge don’t matter a ton. You just need to be super persistent and you’ll eventually get lucky enough and get a solid run.

I’ve won many races after a dozen+ restarts by getting lucky that an AI doesn’t T-Bone me off the track or getting advantageous power-ups.

On 2022-07-14 at 7:04 AM, Long-Ryde said:

I’m glad you posted this opinion because I’ve been feeling the EXACT same sentiment. It’s super fun, but man, there are some shitty quirks that make it “tough” 

The rubberbanding AI means you’re always having to drive with near perfection, and one bump from the opposition or fuck-up essentially ruins the race for you. Your best bet in these situations is trying to specifically beat the racer that’s closest to beating you in the overall tournament.

If you can manage memorizing the tracks and boost locations, it becomes slightly less infuriating, though your success is still mostly determined by the randomness of the AI behavior, mostly in regards to getting beaten/bumped around. 

Simply put, as you said, there’s a ton that’s completely out of your control within this game, which is purely where the difficulty comes from. So unfortunately, skill and track knowledge don’t matter a ton. You just need to be super persistent and you’ll eventually get lucky enough and get a solid run.

I’ve won many races after a dozen+ restarts by getting lucky that an AI doesn’t T-Bone me off the track or getting advantageous power-ups.

I finished the game awhile ago and unfortunately my feelings towards it didn’t really change. If anything, the game just gets worse the deeper you get into the campaign. And carkour mode adds some extra pain at the end if your butt wasn’t sore enough at that point. ☹️

I did learn some tips and tricks through trial and error though, and like you said, focusing on specifically beating your rivals in each tournament ends up being the most viable strategy overall.

The tournament format of the campaign tiers could have easily made this a 9 or 10 difficulty if you had to place 1st in every single tournament due to all the AI bullshit. BUT there is one mercy that gives you a huge advantage - the game allows you to restart individual races (even after crossing the finish line) if you are quick to choose ‘restart’ from the options menu before it moves on to the next race of the tournament. And mercifully, you don’t actually need to place 1st overall in the tournaments until the final tiers. Restarting repeatedly can be extremely frustrating, but at least it gives you a real chance of winning. The game could easily have had no restarts for individual races at all, and forced you to play through the entire tournament as many other racing games do.

The best strategy I found was to try and perform as well as you can in the first race of each tournament. Then before moving on, make note of the leaderboards and note which specific racers are your nearest rivals. Then in the remaining races, you shift your strategy to beating out those specific racers in order to knock them down the standings and increase your own. The worse they perform, the quicker you can knock them out of contention, you just have to perform relatively well yourself to ensure you still have enough points to qualify for the next tier.

Despite how frustrating and unfair the game can be, the earlier campaign tiers are merciful enough to have fairly lenient qualification cutoffs. You might only need to place 3rd or 4th overall etc. to qualify and move on to the next tier. It’s not until the last tier or two where you actually need to win the entire thing, and all you can do in that case is practice those awful tracks repeatedly and pray for some good luck so that you can win several races in a row.

Good luck! If I can do it so can you. ? 

• Like 2