The MMA thread

skidmarkgn

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely Jones, way too much for Sonnen!

Chael Sonnen FTW =p

I really want Chael Sonnen to win. However I'm putting my money on Jones. If Jones has a bad day, and Sonnen has a good day, Sonnen could pull through. None the less it's going to be a great fight.

• 3 weeks later...

What did you guys think of 159 on Saturday night? I think it was a great show. I would have loved for Sonnen to put up more of a fight. The thing that blows my mind is that if Sonnen could have made it through the first round he would have won. No way in hell could have Jones fought with a broken toe.

I also thought Nelson's KO on Kongo was bad ass. The full stadium rose up out of their seats the moment this happened. It was nuts! 

Edited by PipeSwinger

Disappointed by Sonnen he got out wrestled by Jones...Nelson K.O'd was deadly, Bisping fight was disappointing cuz it ended by an eye poke

Yeah Bisping actually pissed me off. I ended up yelling "F*** YOU BISPING". Because after the fight ended he was smiling as if he was happy he poked Belcher's eye. Accident or not it was a cheap way to end a fight. 

I thought it all followed the script, i just couldn't see any way that Sonnen could beat Jones in any aspect.

What you guys reckon to the Jones vs Velasquez rumours?

Personally i think Velasquez is way too big but who knows!

What rumour? Not gonna happen - Silva vs Jones is far more likely.

What did you guys think of 159 on Saturday night? I think it was a great show. I would have loved for Sonnen to put up more of a fight. The thing that blows my mind is that if Sonnen could have made it through the first round he would have won. No way in hell could have Jones fought with a broken foot.

I also thought Nelson's KO on Kongo was bad ass. The full stadium rose up out of their seats the moment this happened. It was nuts!

Jones nearly tearing his big toe off against Sonnen was freaky, but in the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" land of imagination, Jones wouldn't have sustained the injury unless he was going for the kill on Sonnen and he had another 20+ secs of beat-down to inflict before the round ended. No way Sonnen was going to survive that, so the argument of "what if Sonnen made it to Round 2" is completely moot.

Roy's knockout was impressive, but Kongo's a counter-striker and his jaw has grown increasingly fragile with age, so the outcome was entirely predictable.

Nelson's like the Anti-MMA fighter, but manages to pull out consistent wins with big power punches. Let's not forget he also made it to a decision against Dos Santos and has a head like a rock. Velasquez vs Nelson would be a fitting end to his career.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

What rumour? Not gonna happen - Silva vs Jones is far more likely.

Jones nearly tearing his big toe off against Sonnen was freaky, but in the "shoulda, woulda, coulda" land of imagination, Jones wouldn't have sustained the injury unless he was going for the kill on Sonnen and he had another 20+ secs of beat-down to inflict before the round ended. No way Sonnen was going to survive that, so the argument of "what if Sonnen made it to Round 2" is completely moot.

Roy's knockout was impressive, but Kongo's a counter-striker and his jaw has grown increasingly fragile with age, so the outcome was entirely predictable.

Nelson's like the Anti-MMA fighter, but manages to pull out consistent wins with big power punches. Let's not forget he also made it to a decision against Dos Santos and has a head like a rock. Velasquez vs Nelson would be a fitting end to his career.

I saw an interview where they were talking to Velasquez about the possibility of fighting Jones in a superfight, can't see it myself either to be honest.

Jones vs Silva would definitely be a good fight though!!!

I saw an interview where they were talking to Velasquez about the possibility of fighting Jones in a superfight, can't see it myself either to be honest.

Jones vs Silva would definitely be a good fight though!!!

Either Velasquez vs Jones or Silva vs Jones would have to be fought at Light Heavyweight, which puts the advantage with Jones - he can't cut down to Middleweight and he can't bulk to Heavy, so the impetuous has to be with the other fighters to make his category.

Silva's done it before, but I can't see him going up against Jones. Velasquez is way too big to make the cut to Light Heavy, so I can't see it happening either. A catchweight might be possible, but Jones won't fight unless he has the advantage, and really, why would he? :hmm:

Either Velasquez vs Jones or Silva vs Jones would have to be fought at Light Heavyweight, which puts the advantage with Jones - he can't cut down to Middleweight and he can't bulk to Heavy, so the impetuous has to be with the other fighters to make his category.

Silva's done it before, but I can't see him going up against Jones. Velasquez is way too big to make the cut to Light Heavy, so I can't see it happening either. A catchweight might be possible, but Jones won't fight unless he has the advantage, and really, why would he? :hmm:

You are totally right!!

Like you say Velasquez is too big to move down and why would Jones give up the advantages he has that make him dominant at light heavy, just wouldn't make sense!

Silva vs Jones is more likely, but i doubt Silva would agree to move up weight again...i do feel that Jones could actually beat him easily he's young, athletic... But its all up to GSP though, he decides if he wants to fight Silva first or Johnny Hendricks who is well deserved of a title shot btw

What do you guys think about UFC 160 Velasquez vs. Silva 2? I am personally a big fan of Antonio Silva, but the beating that Velasquez gave him last time makes me feel scared for Silva. Of course Silva has been performing well recently so he definitely has a chance. We also get to see Dos Santos take on Mark Hunt. I personally haven't ever seen Mark Hunt fight, but I heard he has a brutal right hand. 

What do you guys think about UFC 160 Velasquez vs. Silva 2? I am personally a big fan of Antonio Silva, but the beating that Velasquez gave him last time makes me feel scared for Silva. Of course Silva has been performing well recently so he definitely has a chance. We also get to see Dos Santos take on Mark Hunt. I personally haven't ever seen Mark Hunt fight, but I heard he has a brutal right hand. 

Personally, I don't think Bigfoot has any business fighting Cain.  His win over Travis Browne didn't impress me at all considering Travis was a one legged man and I don't think Bigfoot could beat him under any other circumstances.  I loved watching Overeem get his but again, he was doing too much showboating instead of just getting the job done, it ended up blowing up in his face... twice.  Cain's gonna murder him again and hopefully we'll get to see a true contender after that.

As for Hunt, He has cinderblocks for hands and an amazing chin but his gas-tank isn't quite up to par.  IF he gets by Junior they're talking about putting him up against Roy Nelson next (which makes absolutely NO sense).  Hopefully they'll do Nelson/Cormier instead but Cormier has been doing a lot of talking about going to 205.  If Hunt beats Junior the only fitting conclusion is a title shot, Junior is easily the #2 guy, beat him and the #1 guy is the only thing left.  That being said, Junior should be able to handle Hunt pretty easily to get a rubber match with Cain.

Here's the highlights of Hunt's last fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_YEyYSkThg

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think Bigfoot has any business fighting Cain.  His win over Travis Browne didn't impress me at all considering Travis was a one legged man and I don't think Bigfoot could beat him under any other circumstances.  I loved watching Overeem get his but again, he was doing too much showboating instead of just getting the job done, it ended up blowing up in his face... twice.  Cain's gonna murder him again and hopefully we'll get to see a true contender after that.

As for Hunt, He has cinderblocks for hands and an amazing chin but his gas-tank isn't quite up to par.  IF he gets by Junior they're talking about putting him up against Roy Nelson next (which makes absolutely NO sense).  Hopefully they'll do Nelson/Cormier instead but Cormier has been doing a lot of talking about going to 205.  If Hunt beats Junior the only fitting conclusion is a title shot, Junior is easily the #2 guy, beat him and the #1 guy is the only thing left.  That being said, Junior should be able to handle Hunt pretty easily to get a rubber match with Cain.

Here's the highlights of Hunt's last fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_YEyYSkThg

Well I know a lot of MMA fans want to see Hunt vs Nelson so that explains that. Sometimes fights just don't make sense. Like Sonnen's first fight at 205 was against Jones. I'm going to take a look at the highlights of Hunt's last fight. Thanks man

Personally, I don't think Bigfoot has any business fighting Cain. 

As for Hunt, He has cinderblocks for hands and an amazing chin but his gas-tank isn't quite up to par.

Agreed, on both points.

Reem blew the fight against Bigfoot by being too arrogant. Cain vs Reem would have made better viewing, though I can't see Reem getting another shot for awhile based on his last performance.

Hunt, like Roy is all explosive power, but he's built for first round fights only and would struggle to compete with Cain's wrestling and cardio base.

Junior's the only genuine contender for Velasquez at the moment, but he got his ass handed to him in the last fight. Cormier looks threatening, but again, cardio might be a problem against Cain.

I say give Nelson a shot for shits and giggles - he has every chance of getting lucky and banging Cain the fuck out.

Agreed, on both points.

Reem blew the fight against Bigfoot by being too arrogant. Cain vs Reem would have made better viewing, though I can't see Reem getting another shot for awhile based on his last performance.

Hunt, like Roy is all explosive power, but he's built for first round fights only and would struggle to compete with Cain's wrestling and cardio base.

Junior's the only genuine contender for Velasquez at the moment, but he got his ass handed to him in the last fight. Cormier looks threatening, but again, cardio might be a problem against Cain.

I say give Nelson a shot for shits and giggles - he has every chance of getting lucky and banging Cain the fuck out.

After seeing what happened to Dos Santos last time against Velasquez I don't think Dos Santos is ready. His performance was poor last time and I was a little surprised at the result. I'm happy I didn't attend UFC 155. Nelson VS Velasquez would be awesome to see. I think Nelson is trying to work his way up to a title shot. I think he's got to win a couple more fights till they will consider him for the title.