Thoughts so far on UC3 beta

The gameplay is fun, but it's the most bug and lag infested beta I've ever played in. It takes forever to finally find a match, and once you do, the match is seriously laggy. Then, my entire PS3 froze! Happened 5 times before I said fuck it and turned off my PS3 in rage.

The gameplay itself is pretty great though, although I'm not sure I like this whole deep system for upgrades and boosters and stuff. I really liked how simple UC2's multiplayer was, and I'm not sure what I think about this more FPS-esque type of leveling and customization.

However, it was fun kicking some serious ass. Had 50+ kills in co-op without dying once. :D

JUST FIX THOSE GODDAMN BUGS!!

I waited until 11:00 PM to try the Beta because I figured a lot of the traffic would've slowed down. It looks like I was correct because I had absolutely zero lag, and had no problem finding any matches.

I absolutely loved the few matches that I played. Gameplay feels tighter than Uncharted 2 and the maps seemed to be pretty good, and I actually liked the mini cut-scenes in the multiplayer. I found a lot of people are more inclined to work as a team in this game, and the "Buddy system" is something I really welcome as well. I plan on playing quite a bit longer and will post more impressions later, but as of now I only have one pretty major complaint. WHERE THE HELL IS SULLY'S MUSTACHE!?!?! :angry:

Parker

I'm downloading the beta now, so I'll give my impressions later - but I wanted to address some of the things you guys are saying so far...

The PS3 hard-resetting was actually an issue which the Uncharted 2 beta also had, and was fixed with a patch a few days later - so I would expect them to do the same for this beta. Hopefully the lock-ups won't be too annoying.

As for the lag, NaughtyDog mentioned they had a number of server issues last night (To be expected, honestly...) so that's most likely to blame for that - I hope so, anyway. Either way, Uncharted 2 multiplayer (final build) never lagged for me - so if it's still laggy, I have faith that they'll fix it before launch.

Now, just 47% to go! ^__^

Edit: Literally just after I posted this, NaughtyDog tweeted the following, which hopefully fixes the reported freezing:

Just pushed v1.01 for #UNCHARTED3 Beta in the US. Other regions will roll out over time. Go to XMB, relaunch Beta to d/l the update

Edit 2: Followed seconds later by the NaughtyDog co-president tweeting the following:

The patch was primarily to fix the frequent slowing of the framerate that would eventually lead to freezes. EU patch on it's way.

I'm surprised that it's so buggy, to be honest - given that the engine is based on the very stable and lag-free Uncharted 2 engine, and that all that should really have changed is the gameplay programming, it doesn't really make much sense why the beta's such a mess.

I'm surprised that it's so buggy, to be honest - given that the engine is based on the very stable and lag-free Uncharted 2 engine, and that all that should really have changed is the gameplay programming, it doesn't really make much sense why the beta's such a mess.

I don't think Naughty Dog thought everyone would have PS+ when they announced that the Beta would be for PS+ members. After the PSN Outage, everyone got PS+ and then proceeded to get the UC3 Beta which has obviously overloaded their servers. I'm assuming of course, that the UC3 Beta was announced before the PSN outage.

Also, I'm sure a lot more people are playing the Beta than there are regular players on UC2.

Regardless, I've had no issues with the Beta whatsoever, even before the patch but like I said, I wait until the evening to play (after the kid goes to bed) so I'm sure the servers are a little less strained when I play. I know Naughty Dog will have everything worked out well before the release of the full game, isn't that the whole point of a Beta? They're probably pretty happy that they've had so many people try and get on because it gives them a chance to see how well their servers hold up to high amounts of traffic. Apparently not very well, but hopefully they'll fix that.

Parker

I don't think Naughty Dog thought everyone would have PS+ when they announced that the Beta would be for PS+ members. After the PSN Outage, everyone got PS+ and then proceeded to get the UC3 Beta which has obviously overloaded their servers. I'm assuming of course, that the UC3 Beta was announced before the PSN outage.

Also, I'm sure a lot more people are playing the Beta than there are regular players on UC2.

Regardless, I've had no issues with the Beta whatsoever, even before the patch but like I said, I wait until the evening to play (after the kid goes to bed) so I'm sure the servers are a little less strained when I play. I know Naughty Dog will have everything worked out well before the release of the full game, isn't that the whole point of a Beta? They're probably pretty happy that they've had so many people try and get on because it gives them a chance to see how well their servers hold up to high amounts of traffic. Apparently not very well, but hopefully they'll fix that.

Parker

Hrm... That would explain the lag, but not the large number of bugs that were introduced - that has to be a programming thing, I just find it weird that they went from a stable codebase to a buggy one so quickly. :S

Hrm... That would explain the lag, but not the large number of bugs that were introduced - that has to be a programming thing, I just find it weird that they went from a stable codebase to a buggy one so quickly. :S

Apparently they've been working on the multiplayer for UC3 since before UC2 even shipped, so they could've messed a number of things up. :o

I'm glad I haven't experience any bugs though. Now that I say that, everything bug the game has will be thrown at me tonight...

Parker

• 3 weeks later...