Psychonauts 2 (8/24/21)

NMErickson

At the Xbox and Bethesda E3 showcase, Psychonauts 2 was announced to have a August 25th, 2021 release date on Xbox and PC.

It’s now been reported that Psychonauts 2 is a timed exclusive and will be coming to PlayStation consoles at a later date!

If you’re like me and have been following this game since it was announced 5 years ago on Fig, this is great news even with it being a timed exclusive. I was worried that with Bethesda acquisition we might not see it on PlayStation at all (ie Starfield).

EDIT: On 6/16, There was a Fig update email sent out that provides more details about the release. The important parts:

FAQ

We’ve had some questions about everything now that more people are seeing the game, and I want to reiterate some information here.

First, let’s confirm available launch platforms. They are as follows:

• Xbox Series X / S
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox One X
  • PC (Windows)
  • PS4
  • PS4 Pro
  • PS5 with backwards compatibility
  • Linux and Mac will be supported shortly after launch - timing on that is TBC.

Pre orders are live for Steam and Xbox, other platforms and storefronts are coming soon.

HDR will only be available on Xbox Series X and S.

Will there be a physical game release at retail?

• Currently the only confirmed physical releases are the ones associated with backing here on Fig.
  • There are no current plans for additional physical releases at launch - however - we are looking into some options for post launch.

The full update can be viewed at:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2/updates/1404

7/23 Edit: Preorders are now live on the PlayStation store. Has a 8/24 release date and is a full priced game at $59.99.

US PSN Store: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP6312-CUSA27145_00-PSYCHONAUTS2SIEA/

Edited by NMErickson
Added preorder info
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

At the Xbox and Bethesda E3 showcase, Psychonauts 2 was announced to have a August 25th, 2021 release date on Xbox and PC.

It’s now been reported that Psychonauts 2 is a timed exclusive and will be coming to PlayStation consoles at a later date!

If you’re like me and have been following this game since it was announced 5 years ago on Fig, this is great news even with it being a timed exclusive. I was worried that with Bethesda acquisition we might not see it on PlayStation at all (Hello, Starfield).

Who said it's coming later to the PS4? The Xbox event introduced it as a Microsoft Games Studio Game, if it was a timed exclusive then it would have also said it was a Console Launch Exclusive. But, it didn't, meaning it'll probably be coming to all platforms on the same day, they've just not told anyone that yet because it was shown during Xbox's event and it's their studio - so they tend to keep quiet about the PS side.

Like all the Bethesda games coming to the PS5 (Doom Eternal and ESO), and some of the other games, they just pretend other consoles don't exist during these events.

Even the official website says all platforms are coming in August: https://www.doublefine.com/games/psychonauts-2

On a side note, had they actually cancelled the PS version, a lot of backers and 'investors' over on Fig would be pretty angry and probably sue them as they paid to back the game on that platform. However, we'll only get a PS4 version - probably running at 1080p and 30fps (60 if they're generous) whereas the Series X has been confirmed to get full support for the new system. This, unfortunately, also happened with We Happy Few and The Outer Worlds (which surprised me when they actually put in the 60fps patch for the latter, I imagine the publisher at the time made them do it).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Who said it's coming later to the PS4? The Xbox event introduced it as a Microsoft Games Studio Game, if it was a timed exclusive then it would have also said it was a Console Launch Exclusive. But, it didn't, meaning it'll probably be coming to all platforms on the same day, they've just not told anyone that yet because it was shown during Xbox's event and it's their studio - so they tend to keep quiet about the PS side.

Like all the Bethesda games coming to the PS5 (Doom Eternal and ESO), and some of the other games, they just pretend other consoles don't exist during these events.

Even the official website says all platforms are coming in August: https://www.doublefine.com/games/psychonauts-2

On a side note, had they actually cancelled the PS version, a lot of backers and 'investors' over on Fig would be pretty angry and probably sue them as they paid to back the game on that platform. However, we'll only get a PS4 version - probably running at 1080p and 30fps (60 if they're generous) whereas the Series X has been confirmed to get full support for the new system. This, unfortunately, also happened with We Happy Few and The Outer Worlds (which surprised me when they actually put in the 60fps patch for the latter, I imagine the publisher at the time made them do it).

I hope you’re right and it is available day one on PlayStation. These two sites, among others have reported the timed exclusivity. The first one is interesting because it mentioned Double Fine confirmed it on their Twitter. I clicked it and tried to find more but I don’t use Twitter and reading tweets and replies is not easy if you have don’t have an account and don’t know what you’re doing. Maybe someone else can confirm. I’m praying for day one but timed exclusivity seems realistic, sadly.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/psychonauts-2-trailer-confirms-august-release-date/

https://www.dualshockers.com/psychonauts-2-release-date-confirmed-at-e3-is-it-on-ps4-ps5/?amp

I don't mind a game being a timed exclusive. As long as it comes out. Not sure whether I will play this game since I refuse to platinum the original due to one annoying as f'k trophy which involves you doing a mini-game flawlessly. I enjoyed the original game on PS2 and hope this game delivers.

Edited by winter_bird_22
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

I hope you’re right and it is available day one on PlayStation. These two sites, among others have reported the timed exclusivity. The first one is interesting because it mentioned Double Fine confirmed it on their Twitter. I clicked it and tried to find more but I don’t use Twitter and reading tweets and replies is not easy if you have don’t have an account and don’t know what you’re doing. Maybe someone else can confirm. I’m praying for day one but timed exclusivity seems realistic, sadly.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/psychonauts-2-trailer-confirms-august-release-date/

https://www.dualshockers.com/psychonauts-2-release-date-confirmed-at-e3-is-it-on-ps4-ps5/?amp

I can't really find anything on their twitter confirming it's a timed exclusive, they do confirm it is coming to PS4 though (but seemingly no native PS5 version, it will be available on PS5 via backwards compatibility with the PS4 version). This is the first I'm hearing of any kind of timed exclusivity as well.

"Pre-orders will roll out over various storefront and consoles. I don't know all the fancy details but fear not; you will be able to play on the platform you want! Xbox Series X, PS4, PC, Mac, Linux! PS5 back-combat?! All sorts of places! And you'll be playing it VERY SOON!"

Edit: I'd honestly take everything with a grain of salt right now until the flames of E3 die down. I saw a site claiming Final Fantasy Origin is also going to be a timed PS5 exclusive, which isn't mentioned anywhere else or on SE's own website. It is only getting a demo on PS5, but that's about it.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

GamesRadar have no idea what they're on about, and I think you misunderstood the other article. Here's the Tweets:

1.png
2.png

They clearly state pre-orders are going live soon for Xbox, PS4, PC, Mac and Linux. The only thing they said was that the PS5 will be just the PS4 game via BC - which is what I said, they've been instructed to basically give PS5 owners the PS4 version with no enhanced framerate or resolution so that the Xbox Series version looks and plays much better.

Xbox are playing dirty, trying to tempt people to their console by doing these kinds of things (as I said, they did it with We Happy Few and Outer Worlds). Imagine if Sony did the same with MLB on the Xbox - it would cause an uproar...

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I can't really find anything on their twitter confirming it's a timed exclusive, they do confirm it is coming to PS4 though (but seemingly no native PS5 version, it will be available on PS5 via backwards compatibility with the PS4 version). This is the first I'm hearing of any kind of timed exclusivity as well.

"Pre-orders will roll out over various storefront and consoles. I don't know all the fancy details but fear not; you will be able to play on the platform you want! Xbox Series X, PS4, PC, Mac, Linux! PS5 back-combat?! All sorts of places! And you'll be playing it VERY SOON!"

The f is “back-combat”?! They should just come out and say will be PS4 game playable on PS5. If there’s any small victory here we can claim it’s that they at least acknowledged a PlayStation version since Microsoft certainty didn’t want to do that in the showcase. All this news is less than 4 hours old so if they give more specifics or confirm it’s an August 25th launch date alongside the other consoles, I’ll update the title with the release date. Thanks for sleuthing guys!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NMErickson said:

The f is “back-combat”?! They should just come out and say will be PS4 game playable on PS5. If there’s any small victory here we can claim it’s that they at least acknowledged a PlayStation version since Microsoft certainty didn’t want to do that in the showcase. All this news is less than 4 hours old so if they give more specifics or confirm it’s an August 25th launch date alongside the other consoles, I’ll update the title with the release date. Thanks for sleuthing guys!

If you read the tweets on just the message above yours it's said it was a typo, they meant back-compat

• Like 1

Just now, NMErickson said:

They literally did... They've said it's going to be on pre-order soon, naming PS4 as one of the platforms and the Website says it's coming to PS4 on the same day.

As shown in the images of the tweets I posted above, it was auto-correct, they meant Back Compatible but it changed as they hit send. Basically, as stated above, they're not doing a PS5 verison, only a PS4 version. The second article you posted simple says that, that there's no native PS5 version confirmed. The first article was written by an idiot who can't read English. :)

• Like 1

Just now, OmiGaming_PS said:

If you read the tweets on just the message above yours it's said it was a typo, they meant back-compat

I see. Double Fine trying to be witty like always. I dunno maybe it’s just me but if you announced an anticipated game that some people have been waiting 5 years for or even have a Fig stake in, when it’s time to announce consoles and a release date, they should be more straight with their answers. Lay it on all the table in a case like Psychonauts 2.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Preorders now up on the US store. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP6312-CUSA27145_00-PSYCHONAUTS2SIEA/

A little bit surprised to see it full priced at $59.99. Not because of the content but because at this stage of the PS4’s lifecycle, more and more new releases are actually coming down in price. Can’t complain though, we still get the game after all this time. What do you guys think about the price?

19 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

Preorders now up on the US store. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP6312-CUSA27145_00-PSYCHONAUTS2SIEA/

A little bit surprised to see it full priced at $59.99. Not because of the content but because at this stage of the PS4’s lifecycle, more and more new releases are actually coming down in price. Can’t complain though, we still get the game after all this time. What do you guys think about the price?

I'm surprised, given it doesn't seem to be getting a physical release(?). I was expecting it to be a tad on the cheap side as a result, as is usually the case for digital only titles (say £30-35/$40-50).

As much as I've been anticipating this game, I'm definitely going to be waiting on it, mainly because I know I won't have time to play it right away anyway, and partly because I'm still gonna wait and see if there is any physical release at some point. Digital is definitely worth a lot less to me, so I can't justify getting a full priced game digitally to myself, not unless it's something I'm absolutely dying to play, and much of my hype for this game has honestly waned given how long it's been since its initial announcement.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I'm surprised, given it doesn't seem to be getting a physical release(?). I was expecting it to be a tad on the cheap side as a result, as is usually the case for digital only titles (say £30-35/$40-50).

As much as I've been anticipating this game, I'm definitely going to be waiting on it, mainly because I know I won't have time to play it right away anyway, and partly because I'm still gonna wait and see if there is any physical release at some point. Digital is definitely worth a lot less to me, so I can't justify getting a full priced game digitally to myself, not unless it's something I'm absolutely dying to play, and much of my hype for this game has honestly waned given how long it's been since its initial announcement.

That’s a good idea. Honestly, I’ll probably do the same. Much more prefer a physical release and this one seems like a good candidate to get one whether it’s Limited Run or another specialty shop. Even the PS2 on PS4 Psychonauts 1 game got a physical release. My hype for it is still high but yea there’s so much more still need to play so it can wait. I’m in the same boat.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hype post, game is two days away. Digital copy people should be getting their codes the morning of the 24th. Normally distributions like these happen at standard update times, which for Humble would be 10am PST. But who knows, I've had games start their distribution at the stroke of midnight.

Edit: Yep, according to DF codes will be going out around 10am PST. There are embargo people who have their codes already and are streaming on Twitch. Trophy list doesn't seem to have been released to the PSN yet.

Edited by Jelly Soup