Kill Your Completion 16

Wrap-up

A pretty good KYC overall this time, I enjoyed all five of the games I played this time around. As a rating on how I'll go back to each, the list seems to be in this order:

1. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - a satisfying gaming loop, a better simulation rpg than the other one on this list, and also pretty fun to just go through the entire step by step rice harvest. 8/10

2. Nexomon: Extinction - having not played a Pokemon game since Sun and Moon (not that those were that good anyway), I'm somewhat excited to see where this one goes in its actually decent storyline. 7/10

3. Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition - while it hasn't lived up to the hype that I've seen from others who have played this game, it's still a good adventure game from what I've played of it so far. 7/10

4. Streets of Rage 4 - a very good beat-em-up, though I'm less likely to return to this as I've already beaten the game once. there's still more to do, but I'd rather finish the other games I started. 7/10

5. Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story - interesting simulation game with a few annoying bugs and control annoyances that complicate things. gameplay is still fun throughout though! 6/10

There was a TrueTrophies event that happened during this KYC, but the KYC games pretty much covered it so I didn't have to play anything else. Didn't play much other than Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth this month, and if you want my opinion on that you can check out my trophy checklist! It's probably the biggest writeup I've made for any platinum so far, which is a testament to how good the game actually is.

See you all again when we do this again in November!

• Like 4

Hey All Sorry for the late post again things are really hectic but I did start this and I intend to finish it.

Game #4 XIII Sentinels

This game was such a surprise I’m so glad I gave it a shot. While most of the games on this list were heavily action based. This one was almost completely story based and while it’s not graphically all inspiring like Spider-Man, GOW, or HZD I did dig the sort of hand drawn 2d feel of it. The game has modes that you have to progress thru to get the full story. Story mode which was my favorite is sort of investigation, point and click while you try in get clues of what’s going on with each of the 13 protagonists. Speaking of the protagonist I love how each has their own personalities, relationships, and sort of alignments/morality not all of the people you play as are really good or agree on what should be done and all don’t get along with each other, and when you throw in the element of Kaiju’s, time travel, and giant Mechs things only get wilder throw in the fact that it’s mainly not in chronological order can be a bit confusing but I was able to follow along. The Second Mode is also important is the Destruction mode which is the fighting part of the game this is also important because at certain times in the story you can’t proceed in till you complete certain battles. Now destruction battles is actually a strategic tactics sort of mode where you select up to 6 players of different types and attack and defend against the Kaiju. You can power up and upgrade the players by using points accumulated to buy moves,upgrades, and leveling up unlocking skills. Honestly I thought I was going to dread playing this mode but it actually was way more enjoyable then I thought It would be and I can easily see this being some peoples favorite mode to me I enjoyed story more but this was a dun time and can be a nice change of pace. Last is Analysis mode where you have to spend Mystery points that you get from Destruction mode to unlock certain entries on the list their are also points in the story that won’t unlock unless a certain number of entries have been unlocked so you honestly have to play all modes to progress the story which I do enjoy as a way to get everyone to try everything. This game was such a blast I spent the most time on this game with over 25 hours logged and I was able to complete the entire game and when I say Complete I mean it as this is my Second ever Platinum Trophy I’m so happy after all these years I went without one and now I got my 2nd and One year in another KYC event y’all are clearly my good luck charm. This was such a delight I highly encourage people to check this out (at least check out the trailer) I thought it was so well done, the storytelling, the characters, and even the Combat this is by a company known as Vanillaware I haven’t heard of them before this game but after I’m looking forward to see what else they come out with in the fact that you can only play this little gem on PlayStation is just the Icing on the cake. Rating I thought I was going to go 9 maybe 9.5 but after writing about it I think I’m going the big 10 I liked it that much.

Rating 10/10

Trophies 56/56 

Hours 28

Game #5 Heavy Rain

I know Heavy rain that wasn’t on my list I had to actually do a switch honestly after beating 13 Sentinels which I actually finished days ago (sorry again for the late review) I suddenly got real busy with work and no longer had time to play really so I went with Heavy Rain which was supposed to be my bonus game If I had time because I never played it before and it still followed the theme of PS exclusives. I love Ratchet and Clank as you might have guessed by my avatar and I want to really have time to dedicate to Rift apart so I’m postponing Rift apart to the next KYC event as I should have the proper time to dedicate to the game. As for heavy Rain I honestly have barely played it I’ve only made it to the second character honestly the controls are really rough and kinda hard to get used to also the graphics while they might have been amazing for ps3 when the game first arrived they have not really aged well honestly I’m just going 5/10 on 1st impressions but I’ll continue to play and will update accordingly.

Rating 5/10

Trophies 1/57

Hours 3

Completion

I apologize for this late review I’ve just been drained I will do better next time my favorite game this event out of some amazing games this has honestly been the most consistent enjoyable games in quality I’ve had since starting still there can only be one favorite. Aloy really put up a fight beating Kratos, and Miles,  HZD was the front runner but then 13 unknown assailants came and crashed the party and stole that title from her. My favorite game was the 13 Sentinels talk about a Dark Horse I really didn’t expect to love this game so much.

• Like 4

KYC 16

Game No. 6

L9c8a21.png

Playing Time: 2 hours

Trophies Earned: 10/14 (72%)

Thoughts: I am road tripping across the USA now, so as my family sleeps in, I will briefly pan this abysmal game. Sorry for the long delay on reviews!

This game looked like it would be filled with Artifex Mundi’s puzzles that are in all their formulaic games. It is; but the mind puzzles are done very poorly.  The story is that a witch has trapped you in a tower. You need to get out of six rooms to escape. I have made it through four and haven’t enjoyed a single one. 
  To start, the storylines are atrocious.  I’m not sure if there was a language translation issue but the lines of text just don’t flow well. It’s very choppy and seems to be written by a grade schooler. “Ha Ha Ha! I’ve got you! You can’t get out!!” Except imagine reading 100+ lines of that writing ‘style.’ :facepalm: 
  As for the puzzles, they just seem disjointed. There isn’t a seamless transition from Point A to B to C.  There was no explanation for how to use the things you pick up, and the mechanics on that are awful. I ran into a glitch where I picked up more things than I had slots for and then I couldn’t use a specific item needed to advance the puzzle solving and had to restart the room. 
  This game was designed for gamers to follow a two-hour YouTube guide and get an easy platinum.  Any other gamer will be frustrated and bored. 
Grade: :hidden:

- I will do a wrap-up in a few days when we get to our destination! 

• Like 4

On 8/5/2021 at 6:26 AM, PerryToxteth said:

KYC 16

Game No. 6

L9c8a21.png

Playing Time: 2 hours

Trophies Earned: 10/14 (72%)

Thoughts: I am road tripping across the USA now, so as my family sleeps in, I will briefly pan this abysmal game. Sorry for the long delay on reviews!

This game looked like it would be filled with Artifex Mundi’s puzzles that are in all their formulaic games. It is; but the mind puzzles are done very poorly.  The story is that a witch has trapped you in a tower. You need to get out of six rooms to escape. I have made it through four and haven’t enjoyed a single one. 
  To start, the storylines are atrocious.  I’m not sure if there was a language translation issue but the lines of text just don’t flow well. It’s very choppy and seems to be written by a grade schooler. “Ha Ha Ha! I’ve got you! You can’t get out!!” Except imagine reading 100+ lines of that writing ‘style.’ :facepalm: 
  As for the puzzles, they just seem disjointed. There isn’t a seamless transition from Point A to B to C.  There was no explanation for how to use the things you pick up, and the mechanics on that are awful. I ran into a glitch where I picked up more things than I had slots for and then I couldn’t use a specific item needed to advance the puzzle solving and had to restart the room. 
  This game was designed for gamers to follow a two-hour YouTube guide and get an easy platinum.  Any other gamer will be frustrated and bored. 
Grade: :hidden:

- I will do a wrap-up in a few days when we get to our destination! 

Did you play this on PS4 or Vita?  I just gave it a go for an easy plat for gaming by numbers and the controls are so awful.  It's clearly a mobile port and yet on the Vita they don't even bother making use of touchscreen controls and instead go with awkward controller controls for that version too.  That feels like such lazy porting when a game like this should play in a similar manner on Vita and PC.  So agreed on the lack of explaining how to use stuff.  On top of that you pretty much have to follow a YouYube guide.  I found a text walkthrough but kept getting confused because I couldn't find the stuff the guide was talking about since the graphics are often unclear and it doesn't show what the object is when you move the cursor on it.  I hate video walkthroughs because if I wanted to watch someone play the game, I'd not have bought it.

Ended up formatting my Vita to get rid of the one trophy I earned since I hadn't synced yet.  I just don't want to put up with controls that bad for a point and click game and have to resort to a video playthrough.  So agree with your rating on this and I'm shocked Steam had positive ratings for it.  Clearly people cared only about easy achievements and not if the game was actually fun or else the Steam version is a better port.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Did you play this on PS4 or Vita?  

PS4 for me.
Controls were no better as you didn’t have free cursor movement. It just jumped from one area of screen engagement to the next. I used a video walkthrough for the last couple rooms after I hit the glitch.  It’s just so horribly done that it made no sense investing needless time and then encountering another glitch. I will continue to follow the guide, plat this, and then delete the game and hopefully forget I ever played it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

PS4 for me.
Controls were no better as you didn’t have free cursor movement. It just jumped from one area of screen engagement to the next. I used a video walkthrough for the last couple rooms after I hit the glitch.  It’s just so horribly done that it made no sense investing needless time and then encountering another glitch. I will continue to follow the guide, plat this, and then delete the game and hopefully forget I ever played it. 

Sounds like lazy porting then.  Didn't get far enough to hit the glitch myself.  I only got far enough for one trophy before I gave up.  Sounds like forgetting about it is a good idea because it's definitely up there among truly bad games and Vita version isn't any better than PS4 except you probably paid more than I did because it's currently 99 cents for the Vita version.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Sounds like lazy porting then.  Didn't get far enough to hit the glitch myself.  I only got far enough for one trophy before I gave up.  Sounds like forgetting about it is a good idea because it's definitely up there among truly bad games and Vita version isn't any better than PS4 except you probably paid more than I did because it's currently 99 cents for the Vita version.

Those thieving bastards got me for a $1.79! :shakefist:

• Like 1

KYC 16

Wrap-up

Took almost two weeks, but finally found some free time this morning. Thanks again to @voodoo_eyes for hosting! And thanks to all the participants in this summer edition. 

KYC 16        (pre-event)                                            
Games Played/ Completed -  178/129       (172/129)   

Trophies Earned -                    5896             (5800)   

Unearned Trophies -               841                (763)

Completion % -                       87.54             (88.72)

Completion Drop - 1.18%

As I stated prior to the event, I picked games on the shorter end, knowing I wouldn’t have multi-hour gaming sessions readily available. Also, I also wanted to leave some gaming time for Far Cry 5.  In the last KYC, my review was pretty down on this game.  Turns out, you just need to stick with it, and it really opens up.  Without a doubt, this is the best FC game since Far Cry 3.  Gameplay is typical FC, but there are so many small, intricate items added that you could blow by and miss.  I am enjoying the heck out of it; let’s hope the MP portion doesn’t ruin the game for me. On to the reviews!

- One Night Stand - :silver:

— A game involving this subject could have been gone horribly wrong in so many ways, but there was some thought in the script writing to keep it engaging and not trashy. I’m excited to play out the last few endings and get some more depth out of the game. Definitely not just an easy trophy grab (though you can certainly play it like it).

- Hidden Through Time - :silver:

- It’s Where’s Waldo on a TV screen. Nothing more than that. The moving characters make it more interesting than staring at a blank page, but the bigger than the screen levels make for unnecessary hunting. 

- Infinite Minigolf - :silver:

- This will likely be the game I never get around to completing. There are a handful of UR trophies which I believe will take some serious grinding. Or, my kids will latch onto this game and earn some serious XP for me! But if you are seeking a Minigolf game and are debating between this or Golf with my Friends, pick this for better gameplay.

- Knowledge is Power - :bronze:

- I fully understand that I played a Party Game as single player, which will skew the gaming experience. But a trivia-based game with trivia that my sixth-grader would consider easy? :hmm:

And now for the awards, getting to prize for this KYC session is…

- Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - :gold:

- Plays like an old-fashioned Olympic game. Some events are fun, some are stupid, some are diabolically hard.  A turbo controller will greatly improve your odds with this one. But I had fun with it.

And the Turd award goes to…

- Tower of Beatrice- ?

- Might be the worst game I have played in a KYC event. Just abysmal. Not worth anyone’s time.  

And that is it for me! Back to vacation!! See y’all in November!!

• Like 4

I've gotten the plat in Marvel's Spider-Man at this point. Nothing has changed as far as the rating goes. Still a 7/10, and the 100+ crime events that you need to do, have not been enjoyable at all. Definitely passing on the DLC for this, and I'll probably only get the spin-off on a deep sale.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...