120 FPS unavailable?

Crypto151

In call of duty cold war 120 FPS only works if you set your PS5 to performance mode in the application settings. There is no option for changing it ingame. 

Maybe Doom is the same. 

And obviously you need the correct hardware to pull it off. Most gaming monitors only support 120hz via display port and not hdmi, which is what the PS5 requires. Gaming TVs like LG Oleds are best for PS5 gaming, if you want to use the full potential. 

Edited by Sinthoras_96

15 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

In call of duty cold war 120 FPS only works if you set your PS5 to performance mode in the application settings. There is no option for changing it ingame. 

Maybe Doom is the same. 

And obviously you need the correct hardware to pull it off. Most gaming monitors only support 120hz via display port and not hdmi, which is what the PS5 requires. Gaming TVs like LG Oleds are best for PS5 gaming, if you want to use the full potential. 

There are still some games that give you the option to run the games in 1080@120 with hdmi 2.0 like warzone. Still you want to select performance mode as your preferred mode in the ps5 settings

Edited by westersburg

3 hours ago, westersburg said:

Do you have a 120+hz with hdmi 2.1 device? Otherwise most of the 120 fps games aren't available since they don't offer a hdmi 2.0 solution

That's not true at all. I have a TV with a 120fps at 1080p function. I've been able to play every game that runs at 120fps with no issues and I don't have HDMI 2.1 on the TV.

Now, if you're trying to get 120 above 1080p, that'll probably need HDMI 2.1, but if your display supports that then it'll probably have 2.1 anyway.

54 minutes ago, turniplord said:

That's not true at all. I have a TV with a 120fps at 1080p function. I've been able to play every game that runs at 120fps with no issues and I don't have HDMI 2.1 on the TV.

Now, if you're trying to get 120 above 1080p, that'll probably need HDMI 2.1, but if your display supports that then it'll probably have 2.1 anyway.

Which games did you play? My own monitor doesn't support 120hz via hdmi so i couldn't try it myself but i heared about people having issues on r6, wrc9 and bocw. Maybe they didn't change their preferences in the ps5 menu as it is required for a few games.

Edited by westersburg

9 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

Maybe Doom is the same. 

I have an lg oled and I can’t do it either 

6 hours ago, westersburg said:

Which games did you play? My own monitor doesn't support 120hz via hdmi so i couldn't try it myself but i heared about people having issues on r6, wrc9 and bocw. Maybe they didn't change their preferences in the ps5 menu as it is required for a few games.

I'm using a TV, some monitors had issues, but TVs should be fine. 1080/120 worked in Borderlands, Tony Hawk, WRC 9, Destiny, DMC, DiRT 5, and Ratchett and Clank enabled 120fps mode but they've disabled that for now as it's not actually going above 60fps.

Doom is now partially downloaded so I'll test the 120 on there as well - you have to make sure the settings have the mode set to auto, if you've disabled it then the mode will be greyed out. I don't play CoD or F2P games, so not tried things like Fortnite. 

Let's try Doom...

E5-JQJDJX0-AU-7-Oi.jpg

IMG-1892-1.jpg

The game auto turned my TV into 1080p and 120fps, the option was there and worked fine. Had a quick go and seemed perfect albeit at a much lower resolution. Kinda wish my TV supported 4K at 120, but it's fine, 60fps is good enough for me.

But yeah, make sure the toggle is set to automatic in the screen settings on the PS5 and ensure you're using a decent HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable (they're graded as 4K and 8K) - I have an 8K certified cabled running from my PS5 to the PC. If you only have a HDMI 1.4 cable, there's not enough bandwidth for all features. The one that came with the PS5 is an 8k compatible cable.

Also, if you have your HDMI going through an AMP for the audio, then outputted to your TV, that could also be an issue if it doesn't support outputting at the higher bandwidth, 120hz, and/or 4K. I have my TV sending the audio out via Optical to my speaker set-up, but if you use anything the signal has to pass-through, try unplugging and connect the PS5 directly to your TV - if it now works, your audio system isn't allowing the 120hz mode to pass through it.

Edited by turniplord

16 hours ago, turniplord said:

I'm using a TV, some monitors had issues, but TVs should be fine. 1080/120 worked in Borderlands, Tony Hawk, WRC 9, Destiny, DMC, DiRT 5, and Ratchett and Clank enabled 120fps mode but they've disabled that for now as it's not actually going above 60fps.

Doom is now partially downloaded so I'll test the 120 on there as well - you have to make sure the settings have the mode set to auto, if you've disabled it then the mode will be greyed out. I don't play CoD or F2P games, so not tried things like Fortnite. 

Let's try Doom...

E5-JQJDJX0-AU-7-Oi.jpg

IMG-1892-1.jpg

The game auto turned my TV into 1080p and 120fps, the option was there and worked fine. Had a quick go and seemed perfect albeit at a much lower resolution. Kinda wish my TV supported 4K at 120, but it's fine, 60fps is good enough for me.

But yeah, make sure the toggle is set to automatic in the screen settings on the PS5 and ensure you're using a decent HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable (they're graded as 4K and 8K) - I have an 8K certified cabled running from my PS5 to the PC. If you only have a HDMI 1.4 cable, there's not enough bandwidth for all features. The one that came with the PS5 is an 8k compatible cable.

Also, if you have your HDMI going through an AMP for the audio, then outputted to your TV, that could also be an issue if it doesn't support outputting at the higher bandwidth, 120hz, and/or 4K. I have my TV sending the audio out via Optical to my speaker set-up, but if you use anything the signal has to pass-through, try unplugging and connect the PS5 directly to your TV - if it now works, your audio system isn't allowing the 120hz mode to pass through it.

Yeah good point. That's why eARC is the future. I have my eARC soundbar plugged into the LG C9 and all the devices directly into the TV too. The sound is sent from the TV to the soundbar and the picture goes directly to the TV without any problems.