As someone who has never played a Yakuza game before, what game would be the best to start off with?

jninja79

As in the topic, I have never played a Yakuza game before but Im interested in trying the series out. So could anyone help my out by letting me know what the best game to start with would be? Story order doesnt matter as I play almost every game series out of order xD In terms of gameplay, trophy list and storyline what game will give me the best first impression of the series.

Thanks
jninja79

Gameplay wise, I personally found Yakuza 0 and Kiwami to be the best. But if you start with those ones, you may find yourself disappointed when you get to Yakuza 3, as it will be a massive downgrade when it comes to gameplay since it is the oldest Yakuza game that did not get a full on remake.

• Like 2

Like a Dragon is the start of a new arc, so it's a good starting place.  New characters, new city, new combat.  It has turn based combat over the brawlers of the older ones.

Zero is probably the best story in the series.  It's a prequal to all of them.  But like Mike said, you feel it if you play in order when you get to 3.

• Like 2

Probably 0. I think 0 and Like A Dragon are the best starting points. 0 has awesome action combat, I’d argue the best in the series, while LAD is a solid turn based rpg. LAD has an easier trophy list than 0. 0 is also often on sale for like $5-$10, whereas LAD goes on sale for like $30. It’s really up to you. And yes, 3 is a downgrade from Kiwami 2, but honestly it’s not super long and 4 and 5 feel much better imo, so if you start with 0 be warned but with some resilience it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Edited by DeadmanStrife
  • Like 1

Yakuza 0 or Like a Dragon

======================

In order of story:

0 > Kiwami (Remake of Yakuza 1) > Kiwama 2 (Remake of Yakuza 2) > Yakuza 3 Remastered > Yakuza 4 Remastered > Yakuza 5 Remastered > Yakuza 6

Yakuza (7) Like a Dragon is a new story so it's a great starting point.

Most would say 0 is one of, if not the best Yakuza games. So that also helps.

All Yakuza games have fairly long and difficult trophy lists, so that isn't much of a factor since it's fairly similar across all titles.

• Like 2

I started with 0 and fell in love with the game and the series.  It was a big deal at the time that SEGA localized it for non Japanese audiences.  So glad they did it for the entire franchise.  Just have a little patience because there is so much to do in the game, and it can kind of be overwhelming at 1st. 

In terms of story, 0 and 2 are my favorites.  In terms of game play - I think 6 and kiwami 2 are the best with the dragon engine, but it makes things a bit easier with OP moves.  In terms of mini games and side content, it's all a matter of opinion.  Some people love this / hate that and vice versa.  I still boot up Y0 sometimes just to play pool.

But anyway, I'd throw in a vote for 0 as well, and like someone else already said, every other month it seems to be on sale in the PSN store.  $5 for Y0 is such a steal in terms of gaming content per dollar, and if you end up not liking it for some reason, only $5.

• Like 1

Start With 0 for sure, I haven't personalky played the other(yet) but given the sheer quality of the game, id alone recommended it even if you choose to not trackle the rest of the series.

Be warned, its a time sink plat, and will most likely take 150-200hrs.

Youll most likely love a good 90% of it tho.

• Like 1