The McDamage that completions have caused me :D

DaveMcDamage

7 hours ago, StewartBros said:

I just picked up Arkham Knight the other day for a tenner.  Might be a while before I get around to it, though.

Check the current sales because the seaon pass is going for £3.99. Might be picking that up as I have never seen it going cheaper before mate. 

Once again I have to go against my better judgement and give Ancestors another go because I can't be arsed wasting more gaming money. 

And like always I go against my gut and do myself over. This game.... its shite. It's like they took the worst mechanics of every survival game and put it into one game. 

So they add eating and drinking. What can go wrong there eh? Everything when its done badly like in every single game. You eat, drink and sleep and in 5 in game days your monkey dies for no reason. You get three circles in the game referencing food, water and sleep but they don't indicate which is in danger. So you eat again, drink and sleep and then you die. And why have a timing mechanic for every fucking single thing you have to do in the game... shit man. 

And the flight or fight mini game.... possibly the worst mechanic of the game. My profile is now moneky shit stained with this game on my profile. 

Okay. Gonna make one last post on this game and then take a break from the forums for a while. Not quitting this awesome trophy haven, but in the past when I've been majorly frustrated with a game I've got OTT with rants and all its resulted in is pissing people off, so I'm gonna make this one last post and then go on a forum break. During that time I will either plow through the game or it will completely destroy my profile... So here goes. 

DO NOT FUCKING BUY ANCESTORS!!!

It's quite possibly the worst game since E.T. Every single action in the game is a quick time event. Every single journey means you have to back up a save to the cloud, because chances are you will go exploring and lose all sense of direction and the game likes to remove markers etc, making getting back to a safe haven impossible. The combat and dodging is turn based, the crafting is turn based, eating and drinking is turn based, flipping a rock, scratching your arse or looking at something is turn based. 

Whats also a major problem is that they added the faintest audio cues to signal when to make certain quick time event actions successful, meaning that if you're slightly hard of hearing, deaf, have a flat screen TV without a sound bar, headphones, then you cannot play this game. 

I don't think I have regretted a gaming purchase so much since... I cannot actually remember. I have played bad games, shite game, but even they sort of had a working mechanic system. This game doesn't and its fucking awful. 

So in a week or so I have some holiday time off work. I doubt I will finish this game by then but there is no way I will waste holiday time on this piece of shit. So will break my own rule and probably play another game during that time. But for now I better take a break as I will only get vexed and piss everyone off on this thread. 

Speak to you guys soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps, 

I now have the 100% trophy completion for Ancestors Humankind. 

So after the rage post above I was really started to kack it as I thought my profile was about to get wrecked not by a game that was tough, but a game that was total shit to play. So I watched some more vids and I noticed that the volume thing that affects combat and dodging had actually been patched to a slightly louder volume, but due to me listening out for the quiet click from the early vids, this was where I was getting things wrong. Needless to say once I got the hang of it, it was super easy from then on. 

So how's the opinion changed now that I have the completion compared to when I first started it. Well its gone from being the worst game ever to a game which is okay. It had tonnes of potential on paper, but despite the main director leaving Ubisoft, once you're Ubisoft you're always Ubisoft and it shows heavily in this game. So basically what you seen in the first hour of gameplay is exactly what you will be seeing throughout the entire Assassins Monkey playthrogh. You have to learn to first drink and eat, plants and water for starters, then you can gain skills to eat stuff like coconuts for which you can drink and eat from that alone. Then you can eat meat, eggs, berries bugs etc etc, but in order to not get poisoned from these you have to build up your gut-ometer :D

From there its just about exploring new areas and new animals. Choosing new camp sites and thats it. You have two sorts of ways to evolve. Next gen which will make your kids adults, the adults elders and the elders a bit dead. And then theres the main evolution jumps where after completing taks (the game calls these feats) you unlock enough so that the evo process jumps you to the next known monkey class. So you start at 10 mil BCE and the final evo kicks in at 2mil BCE. Then thats you done. By the time you're evolved to the Turkana stage of evolution  then thats where the game ends. So to get that you need to have completed at least 78% of the feats list. 

Well thats the game done with anyway. There does come a point early on where you really get into it, but then an hour or so after that you realise its just a one trick Assassin Monkey game.

• Like 1

It seemed to have taken ages for new sales to arrive and now theres two sets of sales and both are utter pish! Gutted. 

Though if you chaps are curious about Jedi Fallen Order, it's currently going for £8.99 which is a real bargain. I got mine for £11.99 in the sales and thought that was an awesome price, but £8.99 is fantastic. 

Wonder when they will release info on the next PS+ games for May 2022. Might have another gander at the sales and see if I over looked anything. I was considering Bully. I friggin loved that game, but after getting the original version of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas and seeing how age had destroyed the controls, I fear it could be the same for Bully. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated this thread. Decided after my last completion that I would no longer be going for 100% completions as the majority of the time the trophy requirements just destroy all the fun of what could otherwise be an awesome game. But I've also been struggling with gaming for a good few months now and it's reached the point where I no longer get enjoyment out of it. 

I started Arkham Asylum a week or so ago and its not only shown me how badly the game has aged in terms of mechanics, but how 10+ years later I have also lost the mechanics to get through even the most basic of gaming requirements. 

My aim was to just beat the story of Arkham and then move on to City, but I honestly cannot even beat the story mode anymore on Arkham. So tomorrow I will be ditching the game and moving on to City. I know what happens anyway as Arkham was a shot-ish game, but I have so many fond but vague memories of City and can't wait to get back on it. Then its off to Arkham Knight which is the whole reason I bought the collection in the first place as its the only one I never played. 

Should take a month of two and then after that I'm done with gaming. In gaming the past ages badly and the future of gaming holds zero interest of me. I may get back into movies at some point but even those reached there peak around 10 years ago. 

Well I got Arkham Story finished. Had a couple more goes and then called it. Moved onto City now. Straight away you feel the difference in mechanic and control advancements. Damn shame they couldn't have used the City engine for the Arkham remake as that would have made for such a better updated gameplay experience. 

I really wanted to start Arkham Knight but I don't wanna spoil the surprise so quit out of the into on my dummy account. 

Looking forward to going through City though. Can't remember how you change costumes though, anyone got the info?