The McDamage that completions have caused me :D

DaveMcDamage

I second your praising of Dragon's Dogma, and commend you for completing (almost) every entry in the Yakuza series!

The twist in the story of Edith Finch was quite unexpected.

Look forward to Outer Worlds, if only because of the shenanigans your character will find out about (and join in). Looking forward myself to playing the DLCs. I do recommend using two playthroughs as the AI of the companions is quite suicidal on the perma-death difficulty. I ended up doing two full playthroughs (all quests 'n stuff) just because it was such a blast going through it again! The dumb-character options are hilarious.

If you are going to play AC:III, be advised this game does have some glitchy crap going on...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shikotei-kun said:

I second your praising of Dragon's Dogma, and commend you for completing (almost) every entry in the Yakuza series!

The twist in the story of Edith Finch was quite unexpected.

Look forward to Outer Worlds, if only because of the shenanigans your character will find out about (and join in). Looking forward myself to playing the DLCs. I do recommend using two playthroughs as the AI of the companions is quite suicidal on the perma-death difficulty. I ended up doing two full playthroughs (all quests 'n stuff) just because it was such a blast going through it again! The dumb-character options are hilarious.

If you are going to play AC:III, be advised this game does have some glitchy crap going on...

Cheers man. 

I wanna save some games for the PS5 (if I decide to go that route) like Yakuza 7, maybe even The Outer Worlds too. 

Currently going through Prey. Decent game though the combat is weak, though I suppose they want the more run and hide aspect for the gamer experience, but then depending on your playthrough the trophies actually go against what the developers wanted you to do in the game. Good story though, a mixture of Dead Space and Alien Isolation. Heard the DLC is a lot of fun though and a very original idea. Will see how it pans out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well thats Prey completed to 100%

Good story, though I felt the trophy requirements hinder the experience big time. Your first play is gonna take the longest and sadly you cannot use any of the groovy upgrades and stuff. Even things like weapon upgrades required a neural enhancer which is just stupid. If I had to rate the game I'd probably give it a solid 7/10. Its really only some of the trophy requirements that wreck the experience, not through difficulty, but by restricting the gamers gameplay experience. 

Now those cheeky sods who made Greedfall added new trophies, so that will be my next venture in hopes to get this completion profile back on track. 

• Like 2

What did you think about Jedi Fallen Order? After watching some gameplay of it it looks super fun and I thought about picking it up but i've literally seen no Star Wars or know basically anything about it. Is there anything there for a non-Star Wars fan? Would I be confused or enjoy it less? 

On 10/17/2021 at 0:23 AM, MilesR2114 said:

What did you think about Jedi Fallen Order? After watching some gameplay of it it looks super fun and I thought about picking it up but i've literally seen no Star Wars or know basically anything about it. Is there anything there for a non-Star Wars fan? Would I be confused or enjoy it less? 

It terms of story its set towards the end of episode 2 which in the films was actually the fifth movie released. There was an event called 'Order 66' which is basically when the council had a corrupted politician who then betrayed the Jedi order. Once you know about that then you're pretty much good to go because after knowing that, the game then has its own story. You could probably Youtube a recap of the Star Wars story to then fit in with you playing the Fallen Order. 

As for gameplay. Controls, combat and collectibles and whatnot are all pretty decent. Its just the maps for me which let it down as its all about swamps and forests and whatnot, with the exception of the odd enemy base location. For none Star Wars fans you would probably have still seen stuff like spaceship battles and big huge battles, but its better to think of it more as a steampunk type medieval setting in that it has some high advanced tech but not so much when it comes to architecture on different planets. If I was gonna recommend it to a none Star Wars fan I would say hold out for a really good sale. That way if the story doesn't blow you away, at least you have a really decent hack & slash style game to play. As for the 100% completion, its nether difficult nor awful and there are some great video guides out there. 

I just bought the Mass Effect Legendary collection so thats my gaming probably sorted until the end of the year now :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 100% completion on Mass Effect Legendary Edition first game. Those tweaks were a welcome addition as I loved the game, but even on original release it felt old. Its still very dated, but what a gem. 

Now on Mass Effect 2 Legendary Edition. This is my most favourite game of all time. Visually it doesn't seem as impressive as the first games tweaks, but maybe thats because to this day even the original Mass Effect 2 looks great. Superb experience and will likely be my final ever playthrough for good, so savouring every single moment of it. 

• Like 1

Got the 100% on Mass Effect 2 Legendary Edition. It's certainly not without its faults or problems (can't believe they still overlooked the neck issue whilst moving around the Normandy), but what an awesome gaming experience. Took just under 50 hours to gain the 100% and get every single thing done in the game whether it requires a trophy or not. My most favourite game of all time. 

Now onto Mass Effect 3. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm almost done with the 100% for the Mass Effect trilogy. I wish EA had put the level 10 weapon on the legendary edition trophy list rather than in the ME3 game. That way the list could be ME, ME2, ME3 and then the legendary edition above them. I just like things to be ordered properly lol. 

But what an amazing experience. To play big games back to back and your smile just get bigger and bigger with each game is a real accomplishment in game development. I probably have more gripes with ME3 over the other games, but at the same time it tops them in everyway. I don't believe perfection exists, as no two people can honestly give 100% approval on something, but this trilogy is about as close as it gets in gaming for me. 

Its a shame they never added in a couple of cheats or something for new game plus, like scan everything like the PC modders made, or just keep the collectibles made still done for future playthroughs, but we have what we have I suppose. 

I always said this would be my gaming retirement series, but I dunno at the moment. Its gonna be damn hard to pick something else up though. 

• 4 weeks later...

69 games done.... N'yuk N'yuk N'yuk :D

So finally got done with Mass Effect Andromeda yesterday. Now like many I left this game well alone on release due to the carnage it was released in, but with the Mass Effect legendary collection released I felt now could be a time to be aware of the forgiveness you need to give Andromeda, as well as keep expectations very low. 

So when starting it up and playing for a couple of hours you start to agree with people that the combat mechanics and upgrade system in Andromeda is the best the ME universe has ever seen. How you can actually meld the stats you actually want is a brilliant way to experience the game. The downside is that every single combat situation turns into a horde mode. Its like they only listened to the guys who like doing the same thing over and over and over and friggin over in ME3 multiplayer and decided to just implement a story around horde mode. 

In terms of the story its just dull. Its not awful or badly written... just extremely dull. If the trilogy is a blockbuster set of movies, Andromeda is a spin off to a sci-fi tv show but wanted to try another direction. 

Andromeda was never going to have an easy start. After the Reaper story of the trilogy, the only option was a new galaxy and new beginnings. But I felt it was too rush right at the start to introduce enemy right from the off. 

But the really unforgivable thing BioWare did for this game is give no closure to a majority of the story. Even if they wanted to make another trilogy, you still make sure one story/side story is completed to closure for that particular game rather than leaving it all open ended. Mass Effect trilogy did this perfectly. Yes we knew it was a trilogy, but each game gave closure and then continuation in the later games. Andromeda falls on its arse here. 

Now for the trophies. Its not an awful list. Insanity mode is probably the hardest out of all the games, but even that can be broken with a few upgrades here or there. The always needing to be connected online was off but this is EA we're talking about, but thankfully I never had connection issues. 

Would I recommend the game to even the most die hard trilogy fans? I'd say if like me your curiosity gets to you after going through the legendary edition, then remember this, Andromeda really feels like half a game due to no closure of the most part and filled open world tired gaming practices. Its not an awful game, just an extremely dull one. So like me, pay as little as you can for it if you really need to fill that urge. 

Next game I was gonna try was DC Lego Villains or whatever its called. The December PS+ game. Well I started it my test account and the game hard crashed during the intro. So that didn't go down well.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I wasn't blown away by the current sales but still purchased a couple for those gaming dry spells. I got State of Mind which seems like some sort of point and interact game but with funky looking cell shading and polygons everywhere. Seems an interesting concept and cost me less than £2. The other game I got was We Happy Few: Deluxe Edition for £9.99. Now this definitely seems the perfect example of a marmite game. Only the devs have themselves to blame at how few units were sold, but it was a good price and people do say after the patches and stuff that its works well now. 

The current sales run out tomorrow and that could mean a fresh sales batch from 23/12/2021 so will hold off playing anything until then. 

Mass Effect Andromeda will most probably be my final 100% completion of 2021. 2020 was a mind f**k of a year, 2021 feels like everyone is a mixture of pissed off and burnt out and done with it all. So here's hoping 2022 goes better for everyone around the world. 

All the best to you all. Will update on my next completion. 

• Like 1

Gave your list a look - congratulations on ME:LE 100% and Uncharted 1 - I have all others done but man the insanity/crushing diff on those games is atrocious due to old janky controls.

If you'd like a few recommendations:

• Chorus - recently released space shooter, very fun imho
  • Alan Wake - given your Alone in the Dark experience could be for you too (remastered ofc)
  • Outer Worlds - you mentioned it, wholly recommended. Such a great game

On 12/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Valkirye22 said:

Gave your list a look - congratulations on ME:LE 100% and Uncharted 1 - I have all others done but man the insanity/crushing diff on those games is atrocious due to old janky controls.

If you'd like a few recommendations:

• Chorus - recently released space shooter, very fun imho
  • Alan Wake - given your Alone in the Dark experience could be for you too (remastered ofc)
  • Outer Worlds - you mentioned it, wholly recommended. Such a great game

Hiya mate. 

I did Alan Wake back on the 360. Whilst I do love a good remaster, I don't think I will be going through that one again. I remember the DLC had an achievement where you weren't allowed to get hit or something and that game was janky when it came to the dodge and camera tactics. Also when it comes to horror stuff I always feel they have an amazing beginning section of story, but then it all goes batshit mental when the ghosts and stuff arrives. I suppose playing Control could probably make people appreciate Alan Wake even more though. 

Will definitely be getting The Outer Worlds. Currently on sale and you can get the whole thing for just over £30. 

In terms of Uncharted. Yeah the controls were a bit stinky when it came to the actual movement of Drake. It felt like he was running on ice most of the time and most deaths were caused from jumping and missing or running and not getting into cover as I was skidding everywhere. 

Off the top of my head, the hardest and most frustrating parts for me for Brutal mode were the sections where you're in the jeep and can actually get killed before you even have chance to move the gun to fire back. This even happened on chapter 3 where you have to run away after the submarine section but still get hit by bullets. Its proof they they just upped the difficulty sliders without actually game testing it. 

Then the next part which gave me crap was where you're in the castle and you go through a door and there is two guys on the lower part and what appears to be one above. You deal with them and as you get up the stairs new enemies have spawned and take you down and the cover pillar isn't tall enough to defend you. If that section gives you crap then just try to run quick and get behind the pillar or rock which is laid on the floor when you reach the top. I think after those parts the rest of the game was pretty easy to get through even on Brutal. Good luck man. 

As for the ME trilogy, its not hard even on insanity or it may be that because I had played the games so much that I can do it with ease. But it had to be done simply because the trilogy is a masterpiece of gaming and a proud 100% completion to have. Not for the reward of challenge, but because of amazing gaming

development. 

Currently going through We Happy Few which I got for an absolute bargain in the previous sales. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 3 weeks later...

Well that We Happy Few done to 100% completion. 

It's not as awful when I first heard about the game on its original release, but its definitely a 'meh' experience. Not sure if I missed something in the story, but for the actual setting of the game and the story its based around, it gives no real reason as to why it was really done. Like I said though I may have missed something. 

On PS4 Pro I didn't get a single freeze or crash which was good, aside from the odd NPC bugging out there was no real drama. 

What I will say though is that the DLC expansions are so much better than the main game. If you get overly curious to want to play the game, then wait until you can get it dirt cheap. I managed to snag it for under a tenner in the previous sales and a great bargain can always leave a smile when the game turns out to be average. 'Least you never paid over the odds for it,.

Not sure what the next game will be. I have Persona 5 Breakers thanks to this months PS+. May give that a go.

• 2 weeks later...

The gap between games is getting longer and longer lately. Though this weeks sale is pretty weak so will wait for the next one. 

Games I tried but gave up on with my test account so far...

Ghostbusters The Remaster. Considering its an all star voice cast it really sounds like they phoned it in. Dan Aykroyd is as energetic as ever. You can forgive the requirements for Harold Ramis, but Bill Murray is awful. The controls feel old, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a remaster without a side by side comparison and in general the game is just not what I had hoped for. Gave up when looking for the sailor ghost. 

Another World Remaster. I honestly can't tell the visual upgrades for the same reasons as above. But even on original release the game had a unique look which probably can stand the test of time anyways. But in terms of gameplay. That old style of jump, fail, repeat just gets old very quickly. 

Little Nightmares. Now this is a serious bit of eye candy but the controls and platforming let it down. You try to walk across something and if the camera makes some sort of pan movement, then you're a gonna. I still may consider this but a no death run requirement in yukky controls like this seem off-putting for the moment. 

Planet Alpha. I do like the odd side scroller but there didn't seem to be much to this. Switched off after about 20 minutes., 

Strider Remaster. Felt nice, looked gorgeous but got so samey way too quickly. Still may consider this. 

Limbo. No death run and in one sitting. No thanks. Not yet anyways. I really have to be in the mood to put in a hefty gaming session like that. 

There was another game set in some sort of ends of days setting. Looked great but again a trophy for finishing in a single playthrough and after looking up other trophies you have to kill 200 people or zoms in survival mode and at the moment that seems way too grindy. 

After playing Final Fantasy II on the SNES emulator I remembered I had Final Fantasy VII original for PS4. Checked out the trophies and having to get all gold and stuff it just seems like a typical unnecessary Japanese rpg grind which kills all those games for me. 

Lords of the Fallen. I really wanted to do this game but after so many re-attempts and discovering how slow the damn movement is, I had to finally delete it. Surprised how well it looks even to this day, but man does it play awful. 

Final Fantasy X-2. Gave up shortly after the tutorial. That timed battle system got on my tits. 

Persona 5 Strikers. Was really looking forward to this but the grind seems beyond ridiculous. Damn shame too but maybe they will do a Royale version of this too and cut out the stupid and unnecessary grind. Japan just cannot develop a trophy list without killing every single game. 

GRID. I was buzzing that a racing/sports game finally had an offline trophy list. Then I saw the 28K miles to drive trophy and put a stop to it. Tried the game anyway and in such a short time it got very boring very quickly. No way I will attempt that, single player or not. 

SubNautica. I didn't even know what to do  after crashing into the water. Seems a lot like a water version of No Mans Sky, but a lot less new player friendly. 

So yeah. Tried all what I own to date and nothing appeals. There is another one about being on a raft but after falling for a bargain price I then realised it plays like crap. 

I'm not quite in the state of emergency where I have to break into getting The Outer Worlds just yet, but it is getting harder finding games for me that I find interesting. 

Last night I went through Abzu. I must be the only gamer to get stressed out playing that game lol. Controls were fine in terms of the character movement, but by cripes was that camera sensitive. It was free last year and its an ok experience. Nothing ground breaking, clever or really interesting though. I would have actually liked a few more collectibles and a decent photo mode perhaps. 

EDIT

Went through the puzzle and click game, Creaks. Lovely little game and a lot of fun. The art direction is brilliant. Reminded me or the Terry Gillingham/Monty Python era but more cutie. Would recommend if you're after a cheap puzzle game and you don't even need a guide as the trophy list is self explanatory and the collectibles are all in your path way. The hidden rooms can imply be found by just walking against walls or pulling levers and checking what activated. 

Also just finished Darksiders Warmastered edition. This was a firm favourite ever since I first tried the demo on the 360 market place all those years back. This remaster has had a touch of paint and the frame rate splashed up a notch. I honestly think the remaster is justified, maybe that just because I love the game so much, but the touch ups look really noticeable even of you hadn't played the original for many years. It had some real turd grinds when it comes to the trophies like riding the horse for 100 miles or levelling all weapons up. The game just isn't big enough to do these trophies by simply playing, so you have no choice but to find grind spots. That being said, I still smashed the completion in just over 24 hours and I'm very glad I did so. Brilliant experience. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 0:09 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

SubNautica. I didn't even know what to do  after crashing into the water. Seems a lot like a water version of No Mans Sky, but a lot less new player friendly. 

As a recent completer of SubNautica I share that helpless, confused, and "what the heck do I do?!" feeling. The game is very slow at the start, giving not-so-helpful hints and basically dropping you in the world with nothing but "survive, numb nut". The devs really could've added some basic pointers and start-up objectives. The PDA should be able to do that much at least -_-

Scavenging for.. anything, really, is where I started. In your pod there's a device that can create tools and other stuff. Start with a scanner and repair tool to scan animals, plants, objects, anything really so you fill up your databank with knowledge and hints about what you can do with the thing you scanned. The repair tool is used to repair your busted radio and get the story rolling.

If you're willing to give it another shot, read this section of the trophy guide to get you off the ground. The game isn't too stable, so save often and keep a fresh backup every once in a while.

On 1/23/2022 at 0:09 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Lords of the Fallen. I really wanted to do this game but after so many re-attempts and discovering how slow the damn movement is, I had to finally delete it. Surprised how well it looks even to this day, but man does it play awful. 

It's been far too long since actively playing that (I did the DLC 2-ish years ago, and the base game 5+ years ago), so my memory is a little hazy. At the time I hadn't played Bloodborne yet so in terms of slow movement I don't recall it being a source of annoyance. Could be just me though, as sadly 'everyone' seems to have a low opinion of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

that perfect little list is coming along nicely. get some nice UR ones on there. I miss my 100% completion, i'll get it back it's just that FC 6 fucking sucks so much it's gunna take me a long time, so boring.

What are UR games?

As for FarCry games. I tend to buy them the same way I buy a FIFA game. Nothing really changes enough for yearly updates, so I leave them a few years and try again when they feel new with massive advancements of the earlier games. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

What are UR games?

ultra rare, rarity doesn't always mean hard game, but in some cases the reward pays off quite nicely, check out slain back from hell or Rive, their both really good, slain im gunna do sometime soon. rive i already did, both are pretty hard and really fun, especially if you like side scrollers they are 2 of the best imo.

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Every time I see someone mention Dragon’s Dogma I get so excited. 

Yeah it was a definite fav of mine. Kind of why DMC5 makes me snarl as it was mentioned that they really wanted to do DD2 but then someone was like 'why sell 2 million copies of a game when we can sell 5. And so it got put on hold and then forgotten. 

47 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

ultra rare, rarity doesn't always mean hard game, but in some cases the reward pays off quite nicely, check out slain back from hell or Rive, their both really good, slain im gunna do sometime soon. rive i already did, both are pretty hard and really fun, especially if you like side scrollers they are 2 of the best imo.

In terms of the platinum and rarity, its never been a thing for me. In fact I actually hate the platinum award because you could have the platinum before you even have the 100% completion. I wish they had copied Microsoft and just gone for a score system. Its much more cleaner. 

In terms of rarity. That can mean it was unsuccessful, very difficult, very crap, unobtainable, etc etc. It just does nothing for me. I mean the trophies that are considered ultra rare on my stats make no sense. Most are from remasters and so you could put it down to either people didn't like them, don't know they exist, did them the previous gen and so don't need to do them again. For me its a pointless stat but I get why others go for it as yet again its just another way to create a fun thing with the trophy system. 

All I aim for, or try to, is buy the games I really want and then go for the completion. It's getting harder and harder though if I am honest as there's not a lot of games I hold interest in which probably explains why I have so many remasters and remakes on my profile. 

I always say that the 360 and PS3 era was the best gaming has ever been for me. But the most important era in gaming for me was the PS2 time. That generation had games for every possible niche or genre you could imagine. I used to love the Gallop Racer and G1 Jockety series on the PS2. I had about 7 horse racing games that gen. 360 and PS3 had 1. This gen it had some mobile game port, yet how many friggin fishing games or bus/truck/farm simulators are there lol. Its mental but for me its also incredibly limited. But then the bus/truck.fishing and farmer gamers are probably loving it. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah it was a definite fav of mine. Kind of why DMC5 makes me snarl as it was mentioned that they really wanted to do DD2 but then someone was like 'why sell 2 million copies of a game when we can sell 5. And so it got put on hold and then forgotten. 

Like many others I’m sure, I’ve been patiently waiting and praying for Capcom to develop a sequel to Dragon’s Dogma. Every once in awhile I see rumours or something that gets me excited again but nothing ever comes of it.

At least for now I have the PS4 stack to look forward to. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild

23 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Like many others I’m sure, I’ve been patiently waiting and praying for Capcom to develop a sequel to Dragon’s Dogma. Every once in awhile I see rumours or something that gets me excited again but nothing ever comes of it.

At least for now I have the PS4 stack to look forward to. 1f642.png

it was the end of the second playthough which blown me away. Not had an epic ending of that kind since Double Dragon, and the Dogma ending topped that by miles. I also loved how you could respec just incase you got 50 hours in and wanted to experience the combat totally differently. Thats pretty common place these days, but it was rare for ROG's to allow that back then.