Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

Textbook write-up, I really liked the format of going through the whole series, it helps putting your opinions in context and it's been a good read being (possibly) my number-one childhood series, lots of memories there. I have to say I agree with practically everything, especially…

On 6/11/2021 at 2:35 AM, GonzoWARgasm said:

Ratchet and Clank [2016]

The rant continues!

Oh boy, this was such a disappointment. Like for you, RaC3 was my favourite game of the original series back when I was a child, it was perfect, felt like a game that still belonged to the Ratchet and Clank concept but had more of everything… more sick weapons, more bosses, more action, more bolts, more Clank side stuff, more humour, more everything! But as years passed and the remasters came, I too started appreciating the first game better, because it was more in the details you maybe don't get or realise as a child: The unique atmosphere to each planet, one-shot characters with true personalities, such a true relationship development between our antiheros Ratchet and Clank, an amazing soundtrack. Definitely one of the best games from the PS2 era.

I couldn't believe all of that was gone in the remake. Played it (not having read critics and stuff) with lots of expectations given how much I liked the game it was allegedly based on and I truly felt deceived. The characters felt plain, the relationship between our reinvented disney heroes was non-existent, unimaginative plot, no memorable worlds, dull music… at least it feels good to know I am not the only one ? If only this series went back to where it started, mate.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

First of all, I want to say: I love the "Series Review" angle!

Seriously, this is a really interesting approach to the checklists, and I think sets yours apart completely from most of the ones I follow and gives your write-ups a completely different flavour to most others.

I also really like the heavy dispersement of images in them - more than any other thread, your series reviews feel like a write up in a magazine, where I find myself reading faster to get to a section because the splash image has already caught my eye!

Dude that is EXACTLY what I am going for. Truly: thank you. 

On the Ratchet Series - I agree with a lot of your points, though I think for me the enjoyment graph would be a little more up and down, rather than the slow decline you experienced.

Your opinion here is definitely in line with what appears to be the majority of the vocal opinions. Everybody seems to love ACiT. 

When you look at the full series (I actually did not. There's another two games in the last half-dozen years - Full Frontal Assault and All 4 One - that I just refuse to look into), the graph would look more up-and-down because ACiT and Nexus are considered to be leagues better than those.

I'm still trying to finish up my reviews of the two I played recently - Crack in Time and Nexus - and while Nexus was fine, though a bit short and a little throw-a-way, I actually think Crack in Time is the first one with a genuine shot of competing seriously with Going Commando for the top spot for me. Setting aside the "Chosen One" angle (which, yes, you are right, does retrofit a letterboxed interesting concept onto the franchise,) I think the actual level design, variety and weapon set in A Crack in Time is up there with the best of the games, and the one area it manages to outdo all others, is the Clank sections. 

I generally have never cared for any of the Clank sections in any of the games, but those time-rewind / duplication clone puzzles are the highlight of the game for me - especially the "optional" ones later in the game, required to get the gold bolts.  Frankly, I would pay full price for a game that was entirely based on those kind of puzzles!

Of course, I'm looking forward to your reviews as always. It appears I may have entrenched you further into an appreciation of ACiT? ?

Here's a spicy take I didn't think to mention: I find the Clank sections in Nexus to actually be among the best in the series! The gravity puzzles were refreshing as a change-up for his involvement in the series.

I found the ACiT Clank sections to just be too much of a pace killer ultimately. As you said: you'd buy a whole game based on the puzzling mechanic, but that's because you and I love puzzle games. We HAVE bought games based on this mechanic. But I didn't like the gear change (pun intended) in a RaC game. The aesthetics and "Chosen One" plot points for these Clank sections were other factors why it didn't vibe with me. But I concede to being in the minority, and more power to the people who enjoy it mate.

Thanks for checking in Doc.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:11 PM, FrediPy_ said:

Textbook write-up, I really liked the format of going through the whole series, it helps putting your opinions in context and it's been a good read being (possibly) my number-one childhood series, lots of memories there. I have to say I agree with practically everything, especially…

Ratchet and Clank 2016

Oh boy, this was such a disappointment. Like for you, RaC3 was my favourite game of the original series back when I was a child, it was perfect, felt like a game that still belonged to the Ratchet and Clank concept but had more of everything… more sick weapons, more bosses, more action, more bolts, more Clank side stuff, more humour, more everything! But as years passed and the remasters came, I too started appreciating the first game better, because it was more in the details you maybe don't get or realise as a child: The unique atmosphere to each planet, one-shot characters with true personalities, such a true relationship development between our antiheros Ratchet and Clank, an amazing soundtrack. Definitely one of the best games from the PS2 era.

Preach it man. RaC3 felt like the G.O.A.T. when it came out. Having a critical eye can be overrated; enjoying the game from start to finish, that's what truly matters.

Agreed - Ratchet's character in RaC1 was refreshing. The PS2 had SO many good games but this was up there.

I couldn't believe all of that was gone in the remake. Played it (not having read critics and stuff) with lots of expectations given how much I liked the game it was allegedly based on and I truly felt deceived. The characters felt plain, the relationship between our reinvented disney heroes was non-existent, unimaginative plot, no memorable worlds, dull music… at least it feels good to know I am not the only one ? If only this series went back to where it started, mate.

Deceived is the right word. Deceived by the devs for calling it a remake (blasphemers!) and deceived by reviewers even more on my part. It really opened my eyes to the lack of personaly integrity that goes into big name reviewers (seriously, HOW does the game get universal praise when it's even worse than the movie, which received universal admonition?), OR indicates a lack of taste with what they consider to be a good game. 

Edited by Platinum_Vice
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Here's a spicy take I didn't think to mention: I find the Clank sections in Nexus to actually be among the best in the series! The gravity puzzles were refreshing as a change-up for his involvement in the series.

Those were actually good fun, I totally agree - I think they just didn't stand out as much to me, as I have definitely seen that mechanic before in other games, where the CiT ones felt really fresh - even playing 10 years after the fact, I couldn't think of another game that had done that mechanic - at least, in a puzzle setting. Super Time Force Ultra certainly did it, but that was as a pure action game.

I even put out a status update shout, asking the site if anyone was aware of any games that had done similar puzzles, and came up blank ?

10 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I found the ACiT Clank sections to just be too much of a pace killer ultimately. As you said: you'd buy a whole game based on the puzzling mechanic, but that's because you and I love puzzle games. We HAVE bought games based on this mechanic. But I didn't like the gear change (pun intended) in a RaC game.

You know - as much as I loved those puzzles, that is a fair point. The pacing is an issue with them.

I didn't feel it negatively in the first playthrough, but in a game that requires at least one NG+ playthrough for the platinum (I needed almost 3 full playthroughs to upgrade everything), you definitely notice the pacing issue with the Clank puzzles.

In NG+ you are absolutely tearing through the Ratchet stuff, with all weapons upgraded, and decimating everything, but each Great Clock section does drag at that point, and bring the screeching pace to a screeching halt!  That's the problem with any puzzle game I guess, once you have solved them, just going through the motions does feel rote in the second (and third) playthroughs. I actually think they might have been able to solve that by adding some kind of timed challenge element to them in NG+, maybe with additional unlocks for meeting them, but as they are, in NG+, those are always the sections that remind you to check the clock and see if it's bedtime yet ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

... even playing 10 years after the fact, I couldn't think of another game that had done that mechanic - at least, in a puzzle setting. Super Time Force Ultra certainly did it, but that was as a pure action game.

I even put out a status update shout, asking the site if anyone was aware of any games that had done similar puzzles, and came up blank 1f602.png

You want The Talos Principle for a game of just puzzles like this. Like if you recorded Chel moving a companion cube and did the level twice.

Or on a smaller scale, you've already beaten The Sexy Brutale, and there's 12 Minutes. Both of those make a game out of just one puzzle, obviously reminiscent of Groundhog Day & Edge of Tomorrow, expanded out on a macro scale with narrative.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
My TV: for a start, my TV is fully *fcuked*. This is the pause screen for Shadow of the Colossus as well as the TV output: 

20211108-100937.jpg20211108-101116.jpg

Dude, that's wack.

About the TV I mean, not Scott Morrison. With that hard hat and vest?? He can GET. IT.

I'm glad to hear that Sony ultimately treated you right! Spending so much money just to watch something take a shit.. there must be cheaper alternatives if that's what you're into!

Moving Out: finally had some time with Mrs Gonzo to delve deeper than the most superficial attempts that we had with this game a fortnight ago. It is fucking hilarious. Stomps all over Overcooked. We’re about 33% in. I can’t help but giggle when playing this. If you like couch co-op that will offer your partner (who is not a regular gamer) a good time too, this is a must-have.

Yo that sounds dope! I accept this homework assignment?

So I had to buy the digital copies. There’s good news now: I’ve got the platinums for the digital copies (Trophies Against Cancer event ticked!) and the seller of the physical copy is accepting a refund request (I’m not the complaining type despite giving two examples of it in one post, I swear!!!)

why-lying.gif

Mirror’s Edge was giving me grief with its speedruns. Fortunately I seem to be getting the hang of it finally to a point where I think I can tackle this UR without much more stress. I ticked off one of the hardest speedruns (Chapter 2! (2!!!)) and hope that the struggle will have elevated my skill to be able to keep pushing forward.

I’ve nearly finished the NG+ Ultra Hard run of Horizon Zero Dawn and am very grateful to have the shield weave outfit and 15,000 shards from my first playthrough. I’m doing just the main questline and running past unnecessary conflicts. I’m more keen to get to the Frozen Wilds afterwards and see what new enemies await.

...aaaaand I’ve added Braid to the backlog. No self-respecting The Witness fan can ignore the creators prior outing, and the PS3 is supposed to be packed away by the end of the year, so I’m committing!

I don't even know Mirror's Edge but I'm already terrified of it. The way you said the number two reminded me of the original Resident Evil 2's opening, like I could actually hear you saying "TEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW."

How do you like Horizon? That and God of War 2018 are probably the biggest titles in my backlog, and obviously I'm familiar with GoW but I know next to nothing about Horizon.

The Witness... crap.

My character is currently standing in front of the turntable, waiting for me to get the nerve to spend an afternoon with the challenge. I didn't realize that once you get down there, you have to solve yet another series of puzzles to even get to said challenge. I did, however, do the thing on the mountain with the river, it blew my freakin mind! Definitely looking forward to the post-plat business, that shit looks crazy!

Er, back to what you were actually talking about (sorry for vomiting all of that in your lap!), I've heard good things about Braid. My PS3 backlog is thankfully small, so I may end up joining you on that one.

I don't think I commented on your Jak series review but I really should have - that was  an awesome read.... I really despised Jak II when I played it when I was younger - not actually because of the difficulty (although it did kick my arse,) more because it was such a drastic change from Precursor Legacy - I really loved that game, and I still do. Thankfully Jak 3 kind of balanced the first and the second game quite effectively.

I also agree with your hot take by the way - that a modern Jak title or a reboot just wouldn't quite work nowadays - I'm sure there's ways it could work, but I just don't see it myself.

I did read these Ratchet reviews at the time too - but I'm a bit late to the party getting to these too.

Those were some very interesting takes on Ratchet- post Deadlocked/Gladiator. I don't think I was as bothered about the tonal shift as you were, although I do feel like they did probably get a little oversimplified.

Not sure I 100% go along with the fact that Ratchet and Clank 2016 is a bad game. It's a bad remake (so much was left out, or ignored completely,) and a bad reinterpretation of that first game - half of that is down to the film I expect - which I honestly just don't care to watch to find out if it is actually decent (it doesn't look it,) but it just really lacks something.

Except in its gameplay.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 has some really top notch gameplay - that I think boosts it up so much in that area, that you can never truly call think of it as bad.

I just thought I'd put that bit in bold really - just for the haha's

Don't worry about being harsh about the Uncharted series! I'm sure my inevitable reviews of them will be enough harsh for everyone. ?...... Don't panic I do like them, quite a lot actually.  I'm just very much the antithesis of the "OMG THEY SO CINEMATIC"  Uncharted fan.

So I'm looking forward to reading your perspective on them - that should be super interesting!

On 15/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, GonzoWARgasm said:

My TV:

Ouch - sorry to hear about your TV man - that sounds brutal, but Hey at least you'll have an even bigger TV to look forward to.....

....... So is your front room like the hallway from The Shining? Because holy beached whale Gonzoman. If I had a TV that size......

...... My eyes would look like this, all the time

b275469da0f790b7b2e3bf2f6ee89204.jpeg

God of War PSP ports:

Jesus man - that is a steep price for those games - is now a bad time to say that I paid like £10.50 for those. They seem to have shot up in price everywhere, because even over here I saw a copy of them going for a stupidly high price, and I think even then my eyes might have turned into the above dudes :lol:

Congrats on making progress with Mirrors Edge - I've been meaning to play that at some point, but for some reason I just never start it. You'll have that nailed down in no time,if you've got the hardest part done!

Horizon Zero Dawn and am very grateful to have the shield weave outfit and 15,000 shards from my first playthrough. I’m doing just the main questline and running past unnecessary conflicts. I’m more keen to get to the Frozen Wilds afterwards and see what new enemies await.

I did that entire NG+ run in one sitting on Ultra Hard - the sheild weave outfit kind of trivialises everything right? Skipping through everything and just doing the main quest really hammers it home how tight and well paced that main story in Horizon actually is.

You're in for an absolute treat with the Frozen Wilds DLC by the way if you've never played it, that's really top quality DLC!

On 15/11/2021 at 6:50 PM, YaManSmevz said:

How do you like Horizon?

I know this was not directed at me :lol: - but Horizon has my seal of approval, and as far as Open World games go its actually a decent length too, one that doesn't ask an unreasonable amount of your time! It absolutely has my thumbs up anyway.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Dude, that's wack.

About the TV I mean, not Scott Morrison. With that hard hat and vest?? He can GET. IT.

Hard-Hat.gif

Yo that sounds dope! I accept this homework assignment1f913.png

Yeeeeesssssssssssss.

How do you like Horizon? That and God of War 2018 are probably the biggest titles in my backlog, and obviously I'm familiar with GoW but I know next to nothing about Horizon.

Argh! I've typed out a response to this a few times but can't condense it down to a reasonable size... might have to save my Horizon thoughts for a full review.

They both 100% deserve to be experienced before jumping into the PS5 generation though.

God of War would definitely benefit from having played GoW 1, 2 and 3. Experiencing the full force of Kratos' rage against the Greek Gods is not necessarily a pre-requisite, but students taking on the 2018 semester will benefit greatly from the recommended reading. ?

The Witness... crap.

My character is currently standing in front of the turntable, waiting for me to get the nerve to spend an afternoon with the challenge. I didn't realize that once you get down there, you have to solve yet another series of puzzles to even get to said challenge.

Truth. The descent into the mountain to get to The Challenge is probably the best that the game has to offer for challenge variety and puzzle combinations. I think of the one in the big white chamber where your solution line generates a walkway for you to traverse between the two sides of the room as being a highlight. 

33463328.jpg

I did, however, do the thing on the mountain with the river, it blew my freakin mind! Definitely looking forward to the post-plat business, that shit looks crazy!

Was this the first instance of this for you? Have you noticed anything else like this or was it the prompt in the guide that made you do it? Always keen to hear peoples' experiences with this moment.

Er, back to what you were actually talking about (sorry for vomiting all of that in your lap!), I've heard good things about Braid. My PS3 backlog is thankfully small, so I may end up joining you on that one.

No problemo.

My PS3 backlog is down to Mirror's Edge, MW3's DLC, Enslaved, Braid and one last run through of GTA V to get some low-hanging fruit (campaign trophies) with a bevvy in hand. That's it. I'll probably boot up Braid in early to mid December if that helps.

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't think I commented on your Jak series review but I really should have - that was  an awesome read.... I really despised Jak II when I played it when I was younger - not actually because of the difficulty (although it did kick my arse,) more because it was such a drastic change from Precursor Legacy - I really loved that game, and I still do. Thankfully Jak 3 kind of balanced the first and the second game quite effectively.

I also agree with your hot take by the way - that a modern Jak title or a reboot just wouldn't quite work nowadays - I'm sure there's ways it could work, but I just don't see it myself.

Thanks mate. ?

For such a strong change of direction I can see an argument for two opposing sides to get riled up about which direction was a better one, but kudos to Naughty Dog for pumping out three genuinely strong games IMO. I just like them all. I really can't help but shake a middle school analogy that Jak went away for the holidays and when he came back his class is shocked by how hard he was hit by the puberty bus. The change came out of nowhere for me as I wasn't surfing the net or subscribed to magazines for previews yet.

I did read these at the time too - but I'm a bit late to the party getting to these too.

Rude ?

Those were some very interesting takes on Ratchet- post Deadlocked/Gladiator. I don't think I was as bothered about the tonal shift as you were, although I do feel like they did probably get a little oversimplified.

Not sure I 100% go along with the fact that Ratchet and Clank 2016 is a bad game. It's a bad remake (so much was left out, or ignored completely,) and a bad reinterpretation of that first game - half of that is down to the film I expect - which I honestly just don't care to watch to find out if it is actually decent (it doesn't look it,) but it just really lacks something.

Except in its gameplay.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 has some really top notch gameplay - that I think boosts it up so much in that area, that you can never truly call think of it as bad.

See even if I stripped away everything I didn't like about the plot and characters, I still am not that fond of the gameplay. It boils down to one thing: I wasn't challenged or excited.

The enemies weren't fun to blast away at and the weapons were more of the same so it felt a bit 'been there, done that.' There's no impact to using them and there's no new ideas. This was compounded by the Groovitron trophy requirement because every skirmish started with me deploying the Groovitron which immobolises enemies allowing you to deal damage without any returning fire. When they are returning fire it is predictable and avoidable.The platforming was... serviceable. And puzzles? Serviceable. And NO ONE SHUTS UP.

I just didn't like it. 

As I said to DrBloodmoney with ACiT: if you like it, more power to you. These just are not for me. I'm pulling the hipster card and remaining a purist on this series. ?

Don't worry about being harsh about the Uncharted series! I'm sure my inevitable reviews of them will be enough harsh for everyone. 1f606.png...... Don't panic I do like them, quite a lot actually.  I'm just very much the antithesis of the "OMG THEY SO CINEMATIC"  Uncharted fan.

So I'm looking forward to reading your perspective on them - that should be super interesting!

And I'm looking forward to giving it to you! I do remember that you're a big fan. Is it your favourite series? Will you put out a review on them soon? The biggest fans give the best reviews: gushing on the positives, critical on the negatives and often plenty of better ideas of what could have been... nay, SHOULD have been.

Ouch - sorry to hear about your TV man - that sounds brutal, but Hey at least you'll have an even bigger TV to look forward to.....

It's pretty rude. TVs this big are still not big enough ? Oh this gives me a great idea.... juicy! I will keep it to myself for now, but stay tuned!

Jesus man - that is a steep price for those games - is now a bad time to say that I paid like £10.50 for those. They seem to have shot up in price everywhere, because even over here I saw a copy of them going for a stupidly high price

Physical PS3 games that didn't 'go platinum/greatest hits' are stupid expensive at the moment online. Anything not within the PS4 gen is overpriced. It seems to me that there's a real sweet spot of about 5-7 years for lowest prices on second hand games. I made this purchase probably at the height of the pendulum swing but I wanted to get it done. I bought it for more than it would have cost on the shelf new on release.

To add insult to injury I found a price tag on the case for $5US!!!! ?

I did that entire NG+ run in one sitting on Ultra Hard - the sheild weave outfit kind of trivialises everything right? Skipping through everything and just doing the main quest really hammers it home how tight and well paced that main story in Horizon actually is.

It's so weird only doing a main quest line!! I've only done it to a few games (for trophy reasons) and it's so eerie to be actually chasing down the McGuffin instead of putting it on the back burner to collect 10 bulbous weedroots for a struggling healer in the far reaches of Yurkle.

Hard-Hat.gif

Edited by GonzoWARgasm
I wanted to put the hard hat gif in this post again.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

For such a strong change of direction I can see an argument for two opposing sides to get riled up about which direction was a better one, but kudos to Naughty Dog for pumping out three genuinely strong games IMO. I just like them all. I really can't help but shake a middle school analogy that Jak went away for the holidays and when he came back his class is shocked by how hard he was hit by the puberty bus. The change came out of nowhere for me as I wasn't surfing the net or subscribed to magazines for previews yet.

Haha! That's a great analogy - and yes I like them all too. Even Jak X ?.....

......The thing is I actually rather enjoyed Jak II when I played it in I think 2019, I'd never actually finished it before, so I hadn't seen all of it play out yet. So Jak 3 was also completely new to me when I got around to playing that one, and I really dug that one too.

See even if I stripped away everything I didn't like about the plot and characters, I still am not that fond of the gameplay. It boils down to one thing: I wasn't challenged or excited.

The enemies weren't fun to blast away at and the weapons were more of the same so it felt a bit 'been there, done that.' There's no impact to using them and there's no new ideas. This was compounded by the Groovitron trophy requirement because every skirmish started with me deploying the Groovitron which immobolises enemies allowing you to deal damage without any returning fire. When they are returning fire it is predictable and avoidable.The platforming was... serviceable. And puzzles? Serviceable. And NO ONE SHUTS UP.

I just didn't like it. 

As I said to DrBloodmoney with ACiT: if you like it, more power to you. These just are not for me. I'm pulling the hipster card and remaining a purist on this series. 

That is a completely valid criticism too........ It really isn't challenging for practically all of the reasons you listed.

Don't get me started on the fact they never shut up either - although there is a really good YouTube video by Gamingbritshow about that, that I think I may have posted in Doc's thread what seems like an age back.

Particularly Mr Zurkon - a useful weapon, but man is he annoying - for some reason he always made me think of a bit from The Simpsons when Homer goes "Homercles cares not for beans" or something to that effect. He really never shuts up.

But I still did pretty much enjoy the gameplay - and I could never quite see it as a bad game.

It might be a fact that when I played it I was like one of those smokers who used to chain smoke constantly, but then go full cold turkey. I played I think 8 Ratchet Games in a very small timeframe and then played Ratchet and Clank (2016) about 6 months later...... So I was that person that when offered a cigarette goes "yeah why not, one won't hurt." Then you are instantly enjoying them again. That's kind of how I was with the Ratchet remake. Nowadays I neither really love it or dislike it,it's just there.

I don't think it'll ever be worse than Full Frontal Assault - which is not too good or bad (irrelevant but it has a terrible trophy list), but never something I'd really rush to recommend to people.

I also did enjoy Crack in Time - nothing wrong with being an R&C purist man - you aren't the only one.

And I'm looking forward to giving it to you! I do remember that you're a big fan. Is it your favourite series? Will you put out a review on them soon? The biggest fans give the best reviews: gushing on the positives, critical on the negatives and often plenty of better ideas of what could have been... nay, SHOULD have been.

That is genuinely making me think of this

dba5eb24ac2b480ba399fa867b86db01.jpg

Nah - in all seriousness though - no it definitely isn't my favourite series - or even remotely close..... But I do like them quite a bit, I'm just not rabidly in love with the series like a lot of people are - and the characters I seem to like the most in them, like Elena - most people complain about haha.

...... I think Nathan Drake also suffers from the same problem Ratchet and Clank do in the R&C remake........ Nate never shuts up - like, ever!.... Sometimes that's fine, but if I was Elena - I'd be constantly wearing earplugs :lol:

Ironic really, because I absolutely love this guy :

"GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD - MIGHTY PIRATE!"

240px-Guybrush_Threepwood.png

Who equally never shuts up - but he's much more charming in the process.

I don't know when I'll get to reviewing Uncharted -  I might go review them whenever I get around to leading up to  playing Lost Legacy. As I haven't done that one yet. 

I am genuinely looking forward to reading your thoughts on the series though - because it's always great to read more perspectives on  any kind of game series.

Physical PS3 games that didn't 'go platinum/greatest hits' are stupid expensive at the moment online. Anything not within the PS4 gen is overpriced. It seems to me that there's a real sweet spot of about 5-7 years for lowest prices on second hand games. I made this purchase probably at the height of the pendulum swing but I wanted to get it done. I bought it for more than it would have cost on the shelf new on release.

To add insult to injury I found a price tag on the case for $5US!!!! 1f611.png

That's a great point - I really don't want to disclose the amount I had to pay to get my grubby hands on that last Harry Potter PS3 game I played the other month - you're right about there being a 5-7 year sweet spot, there's games I picked up really cheap - that seem to sell for silly prices these days. 

I bet that was a price tag you ripped off pretty quickly and set fire to!

It's so weird only doing a main quest line!! I've only done it to a few games (for trophy reasons) and it's so eerie to be actually chasing down the McGuffin instead of putting it on the back burner to collect 10 bulbous weedroots for a struggling healer in the far reaches of Yurkle.

That's because trophies have conditioned us to do that kind of thing without hesitation now right?  It is weird I agree - feels particularly jarring when you have to focus on just the story in games with a lot of (admittedly good) side content in it like Horizon.

Enjoy your time with Frozen Wilds though, it's a very fun time!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Hard-Hat.gif

Hawt.

Also giving him a reprise was a wonderful stroke of comedic genius. This man deserves our attention!

Argh! I've typed out a response to this a few times but can't condense it down to a reasonable size... might have to save my Horizon thoughts for a full review.

They both 100% deserve to be experienced before jumping into the PS5 generation though.

God of War would definitely benefit from having played GoW 1, 2 and 3. Experiencing the full force of Kratos' rage against the Greek Gods is not necessarily a pre-requisite, but students taking on the 2018 semester will benefit greatly from the recommended reading. 1f609.png

Fair enough. Besides, me and a PS5 ain't gonna happen for a miiiinute - I've got plenty of time to get to those games?

I've played the first two GoW games but never did get to the third - I stopped gaming around 2010, and as my prodigious use of Google has just informed me, that was when the game came out, so makes sense.

Damn.... he does look like a total douche, doesn't he? All he's missing is the Tapout T-shirt!

6 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Truth. The descent into the mountain to get to The Challenge is probably the best that the game has to offer for challenge variety and puzzle combinations. I think of the one in the big white chamber where your solution line generates a walkway for you to traverse between the two sides of the room as being a highlight. 

33463328.jpg

Was this the first instance of this for you? Have you noticed anything else like this or was it the prompt in the guide that made you do it? Always keen to hear peoples' experiences with this moment.

No problemo.

My PS3 backlog is down to Mirror's Edge, MW3's DLC, Enslaved, Braid and one last run through of GTA V to get some low-hanging fruit (campaign trophies) with a bevvy in hand. That's it. I'll probably boot up Braid in early to mid December if that helps.

It was the first instance like that for me, and I noticed my save file now says +1, which fascinates/intimidates me. I was kinda having a bad attitude at the time - I'm a classic guy in that if I'm not good at something or just struggling in general, unless I'm in the right headspace I'm gonna get a bit grumpy. So there's that panel at the top, yes? I do it. Nothing seems to happen. Whatever, no big deal. Can't figure out how to get the hatch into the mountain open. I find the little cassette player and listen to that, and think "well wasn't that fuckin enlightening." Try the hatch again. No success. Back to the panel. Why the fuck is this panel here?? Then, I see the river looking EXACTLY like the panel, and suddenly my frustration finally shuts up. I had yet another "No...." moment (so many, this game has given me), tried it and it worked! To be clear, I still have no real clue what it actually did, but I know it did something. It absolutely re-fueled me, and it gave me the encouragement to keep going.

That walkway wasn't too bad. The puzzles were incredible - they all seemed like they were malfunctioning and just generally falling apart, which I thought was a great touch. The second walkway though, right before you get down to the area where the game ends, gave me a lot of trouble - gettin that one path right took quite a while, not gonna lie.

I was referring to the puzzles after the end (which by the way, WTF) in the cave - I didn't expect so many. I also opened all the doors down there (I think) so once the challenge is done I'm ready to go out and look for dots and lines?????☹??

Wow. Didn't realize how much I wanted to talk about all that!

Enslaved is on mine too! I played the first hour or two on the 360, and was heartbroken to find it wasn't available on the PS4. Oh well. A used PS3 solved that. Suckers! Hah! AHAHAHAHA!!

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I know this was not directed at me :lol: - but Horizon has my seal of approval, and as far as Open World games go its actually a decent length too, one that doesn't ask an unreasonable amount of your time! It absolutely has my thumbs up anyway.

Nice!

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

It might be a fact that when I played it I was like one of those smokers who used to chain smoke constantly, but then go full cold turkey. I played I think 8 Ratchet Games in a very small timeframe and then played Ratchet and Clank (2016) about 6 months later...... So I was that person that when offered a cigarette goes "yeah why not, one won't hurt." Then you are instantly enjoying them again. That's kind of how I was with the Ratchet remake. Nowadays I neither really love it or dislike it,it's just there.

I miss smoking?

I quit after a solid twenty years, from ages 15 - 36. My gramps and my wife's grandmother both passed within a few years of each other because of that, and I figured it was finally time. Two years off now, and I have no intention of starting up again, but man.. every time I walk past somebody smoking, that odor hits me in the same way that my wife's perfume does?

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I don't know when I'll get to reviewing Uncharted -  I might do review them whenever I get around to leading up to  playing Lost Legacy. As I haven't done that one yet.

I've been thinkin about when I'll get to reviewing Drake's Fortune... finally over the burnout that hundo came with and starting to eye Among Thieves. I've no doubt Gonz's review will push that along nicely!

Jesus, I'm a chatty old broad today...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

That is a completely valid criticism too........ It really isn't challenging for practically all of the reasons you listed.

Don't get me started on the fact they never shut up either - although there is a really good YouTube video by Gamingbritshow about that, that I think I may have posted in Doc's thread what seems like an age back.

Particularly Mr Zurkon - a useful weapon, but man is he annoying - for some reason he always made me think of a bit from The Simpsons when Homer goes "Homercles cares not for beans" or something to that effect. He really never shuts up.

But I still did pretty much enjoy the gameplay - and I could never quite see it as a bad game.

Very very fair. That video by the way is possibly one of the most 'took the words right outta ma mouth' video essays I've ever seen.

Nah - in all seriousness though - no it definitely isn't my favourite series - or even remotely close..... But I do like them quite a bit, I'm just not rabidly in love with the series like a lot of people are - and the characters I seem to like the most in them, like Elena - most people complain about haha.

Elena = best girl. I'll die on that hill. ?

...... I think Nathan Drake also suffers from the same problem Ratchet and Clank do in the R&C remake........ Nate never shuts up - like, ever!.... Sometimes that's fine, but if I was Elena - I'd be constantly wearing earplugs :lol:

*has a How I Met Your Mother glass shattering moment*

I don't know when I'll get to reviewing Uncharted -  I might go review them whenever I get around to leading up to  playing Lost Legacy. As I haven't done that one yet. 

Please consider it :)

That's a great point - I really don't want to disclose the amount I had to pay to get my grubby hands on that last Harry Potter PS3 game I played the other month

You don't want to, but should you??

5 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I've played the first two GoW games but never did get to the third - I stopped gaming around 2010, and as my prodigious use of Google has just informed me, that was when the game came out, so makes sense.

Hmmm... maybe a video to refresh on the plot might be more suitable for you then, an "everything you need to know before you start GoW 2018" or something like that.

It was the first instance like that for me, and I noticed my save file now says +1, which fascinates/intimidates me. I was kinda having a bad attitude at the time - I'm a classic guy in that if I'm not good at something or just struggling in general, unless I'm in the right headspace I'm gonna get a bit grumpy. So there's that panel at the top, yes? I do it. Nothing seems to happen. Whatever, no big deal. Can't figure out how to get the hatch into the mountain open. I find the little cassette player and listen to that, and think "well wasn't that fuckin enlightening." Try the hatch again. No success. Back to the panel. Why the fuck is this panel here?? Then, I see the river looking EXACTLY like the panel, and suddenly my frustration finally shuts up. I had yet another "No...." moment (so many, this game has given me), tried it and it worked! To be clear, I still have no real clue what it actually did, but I know it did something. It absolutely re-fueled me, and it gave me the encouragement to keep going.

That walkway wasn't too bad. The puzzles were incredible - they all seemed like they were malfunctioning and just generally falling apart, which I thought was a great touch. The second walkway though, right before you get down to the area where the game ends, gave me a lot of trouble - gettin that one path right took quite a while, not gonna lie.

I was referring to the puzzles after the end (which by the way, WTF) in the cave - I didn't expect so many. I also opened all the doors down there (I think) so once the challenge is done I'm ready to go out and look for dots and lines?????☹??

Wow. Didn't realize how much I wanted to talk about all that!

Dude I want to know everything about your journey with this. Please keep me updated!!! Here or on your checklist or by PM, whatever, but it is definitely something I'm keen to hear about! 

I miss smoking?

I quit after a solid twenty years, from ages 15 - 36. My gramps and my wife's grandmother both passed within a few years of each other because of that, and I figured it was finally time. Two years off now, and I have no intention of starting up again, but man.. every time I walk past somebody smoking, that odor hits me in the same way that my wife's perfume does?

I've not smoked but was around smokers at a very young age. There's about two or three brands that I will smell on occasion and they smell very familiar and comforting.

However, the smell of old smoke in carpets, blinds, clothes, government buildings... *vomits*

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Hmmm... maybe a video to refresh on the plot might be more suitable for you then, an "everything you need to know before you start GoW 2018" or something like that.

Dude I want to know everything about your journey with this. Please keep me updated!!! Here or on your checklist or by PM, whatever, but it is definitely something I'm keen to hear about! 

motion-accepted.gif

Mos def! I'll definitely be buggin you and the good Doctor when I can open it up a bit more. Does the post-game have a needle-in-a-haystack feel to it? Because I'm a little worried about that, but I need the closure.. otherwise, that ending is mildly frightening!

I'm getting out!

Wait, this is..

Have I been...

How did I...

....fuck!!

Also I'm glad to hear that the previous GoW games will have some relevance in the reboot. A refresher is a great idea, because very few of the memories I have about the first two games were about the story!

I've not smoked but was around smokers at a very young age. There's about two or three brands that I will smell on occasion and they smell very familiar and comforting.

However, the smell of old smoke in carpets, blinds, clothes, government buildings... *vomits*

My wife's like that too, she hates cigarettes but she loves the smell of certain cigars and says the same thing you did, that there's a pleasant familiarity there.

For the most part that old smoke smell doesn't bother me, but in high concentration it can be utterly rancid. I remember in high school going to a party at a house built in the 50s that had a bomb shelter, we were drinkin and druggin and chain smokin down there, and I remember the clothes I wore retained that smoky smell for WEEKS. That shit was straight ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Mos def! I'll definitely be buggin you and the good Doctor when I can open it up a bit more. Does the post-game have a needle-in-a-haystack feel to it? Because I'm a little worried about that, but I need the closure.. otherwise, that ending is mildly frightening!

Try not to stress about it. Once you're past The Challenge and explore a bit more and get clued in a little more to the post-game, you may find that there is a pretty reliable way to get hints. 

If you ever need us to give specific hints or be straight-out direct at any point, shout out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

WOOHOO THE NEW ISSUE OF GONZO IS HERE!!!

Awesome stuff, man. First of all, what most needs to be said is that your Scooby-Doo Doo image won the whole post. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, they weren't even explained to me. But them's the breaks.

Loved how systematically you broke down each aspect, and ranked the games - very handy for someone like myself, who's only completed Drake's Fortune. I remember while first playing it early this year, wondering how the hell I missed out on this franchise, and thinkin about how I can't wait to play the rest in the series, how I'm gonna be inorganically bringing up Uncharted in conversation for years to come, and that I'll force my wife to be Elena to my Drake for every Halloween... then before I even got deep into the Brutal campaign that infatuated bluster went poof in a cloud of "nah I'm good."

It's exciting to consistently hear about how well Among Thieves has held up, and though my Uncharted malaise is yet to fully clear up, it's in my near future for sure. Anyway, enough about my ass!

Agreed on the puzzles. It was like in Resident Evil, where you have to track down hints and necessary pieces to solve them, except... they're already there. The whole "hey, this looks just like some dumb shit I already drew" thing was definitely a source of disappointment. Like an uncle who's terribly at wrapping presents, and hands you your fairly obvious gift and before you even start opening it he's like "yeah it's a book."

It was cool to see a map of places you visit in the series - another reason I still want to work my way up in the series is because even after having played the oldest game, I think it's stunningly gorgeous and a joy to explore (y'know, when you're not being shot at by fifty meth-addled lunatics at a time).

The latter part of DF was kinda weird, how all of a sudden it goes survival horror with the uh.. Nazi monsters? Sidenote: they should've had those little hats the officers wore, would've made them more fun to shoot, no? I thought it was an interesting turn at the time, but now seeing that that's to be expected in each game makes it a bit less charming. Like they ran out of Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider ideas and went the way of that family guy gag about Stephen King.

"A uh... A LAMP MONSTER!! OOOoooOooOoooo..."

Also, agreed on Elena. I didn't even know she got hate from players until recently! I was like does she try to kill Drake in the third game or something?? Reminded me of how people watching Breaking Bad hated on Skyler because... she uh.. ruined all the men's fun? Who knows.

Great read, my dude?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Awesome stuff, man. First of all, what most needs to be said is that your Scooby-Doo Doo image won the whole post. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, they weren't even explained to me. But them's the breaks.

?

It's exciting to consistently hear about how well Among Thieves has held up, and though my Uncharted malaise is yet to fully clear up, it's in my near future for sure. Anyway, enough about my ass!

It certainly holds up better than the other PS3 games. U3 has about four or five chapters at the 50-75% mark that are worth playing for the sake of gameplay and spectacle but otherwise the constant issues that I had with the story kept rearing an ugly head. The PS4 games are really the ones that are most worth playing.

Agreed on the puzzles. It was like in Resident Evil, where you have to track down hints and necessary pieces to solve them, except... they're already there. The whole "hey, this looks just like some dumb shit I already drew" thing was definitely a source of disappointment. Like an uncle who's terribly at wrapping presents, and hands you your fairly obvious gift and before you even start opening it he's like "yeah it's a book."

? Yes it is a lot like that!

Also, agreed on Elena. I didn't even know she got hate from players until recently! I was like does she try to kill Drake in the third game or something?? Reminded me of how people watching Breaking Bad hated on Skyler because... she uh.. ruined all the men's fun? Who knows.

Um I think it comes from her being too realistic of a wife in U4 and skunting Drake for going off on a dangerous adventure without telling her. There's a lot of immaturity that comes with the gaming community sometimes. Considering that she's been smoking scores of fools with Drake for three games beforehand and is a successful investigative journalist in her own right, she probably could have done with an invite.

I'd say less like Skyler and more like Hermione (don't have a good comparison to make off the top of my head, Hermione will have to do) who is a 'partner in crime' and capable and independent on her own.

Skyler was conceptualised as a universally-unlikeable bitch for a different reason: making Walt more sympathetic, like Tony Soprano's mother. Kind of how his son is disabled to make his goal of bringing in cash for his family before he dies was conceptualised as a means to assist in helping the audience justify him cooking meth.

Great read, my dude1f44a.png

Glad you enjoyed it mate!! You are one charming dude.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
Hyper Light Drifter:
I stepped back into the ring in the post-apocalyptic realm of the Hyper Light Drifter to get that fucking Dash Eternal trophy. I felt genuine elation during a delusion of "I'm getting this tonight, too. I came for a fish, caught a shark and now I'm going to take home a whale," and nearly made it to my record. I gave up after another half an hour where I didn't even come close to that again. I'll get this thing soon.

Keep at it man, you'll get it! HLD is a tricky game from what I hear, but you'll get it done soon enough. I see you have the Trackmania Turbo plat (a fucking beast of a plat at that, well done mate) so you definitely have a lot of patience! ? One day the trophy will come. ?

32 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
On PSNP: 
- Upload at least one review per fortnight to this checklist. I think I'd like to have a few more followers and I’m applying a 'Field of Dreams' mentality: “if I build it, they will come.”

Did you say you wanted a new follower? ? I guess I'll welcome myself aboard! I follow a fuckton of checklists so I might not be as up to date quickly, but I may pitch in my thoughts every now and then! For example, glad to see the TV issue was resolved!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
I felt genuine elation during a delusion of "I'm getting this tonight, too. I came for a fish, caught a shark and now I'm going to take home a whale," and nearly made it to my record. I gave up after another half an hour where I didn't even come close to that again. I'll get this thing soon.

There's nothing quite like that feeling, when you're locked in and like "you can't hide from me, you're mine." You got this, homie!

3 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
 My issue with Sony has been resolved: they have replaced my TV. They agreed that my blue TV sucked and suggested that I give it back and take a $500AUS-ish discount on a new Sony TV. I told them to do better. So they replaced it with a new one. And it's 5 inches bigger and worth $1000AUS more than the last one. It is also brand new. We take those victories, boys. We take those. For real, I'm like 90% grateful and only 10% "well I deserve it because the last one broke too soon."

Yeah Sony better take care of you, I'll fuckin blast those fools!

That's awesome, dude! Sometimes that persistence doesn't really go anywhere and you just end up kinda screwed, but when they blink first and hook it up, it's somethin else. Like the previously mentioned feeling, it's very much its own thing. I'm glad for you, man!

As I get older I obviously don't expect much in the way of presents anymore, so I was politely excited to have received so much. What do you think?

received-737463020989976.jpg

I'm lovin those Lego heads you scored... also aaayyyyy a whiskey man!

I don't expect (or particularly want) much as far as presents go either... but it's still nice?

I haven’t really believed in making resolutions before because there’s really no better time to start working towards something than the present. In fact, I’ve only had one proper New Year's resolution before; watch all of the James Bond movies as I’d not seen any of them (I made that one a few years ago - the goal was to watch about one a week). I wanted to go chronologically and I think that going about it that way was ultimately my undoing. I got about three movies in and gave up.

Were you not able to get into them? What made you want to launch into those? Personally I never had much interest in those movies, but I've never cared for the Star Wars movies either, so who knows how valuable my opinion is?

At home:
- Obtain 15 platinums.
- Pull my profile completion percentage up from 88% to 91%.
- Finally finish up the last handful of games sitting there unplayed for my PS3.
- Save up to buy a PS5 by Christmas 2022.

On PSNP: 
- Upload at least one review per fortnight to this checklist. I think I'd like to have a few more followers and I’m applying a 'Field of Dreams' mentality: “if I build it, they will come.”
- Complete Tier 1 for Copanele's UR Clean Up (and therefore finally complete some URs that are mocking me in my sleep).
- Generate a good idea for hosting a community event on the forum for either the back end of 2022 or for a year long 2023 event. Not fully sure about this but giving it some thought.

Wish me luck 1f618.png

Mah man! I love all of this, good luck!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Keep at it man, you'll get it! HLD is a tricky game from what I hear, but you'll get it done soon enough. I see you have the Trackmania Turbo plat (a fucking beast of a plat at that, well done mate) so you definitely have a lot of patience! ? One day the trophy will come. ?

Thanks mate, I agree: if I can do that, then I can surely do this. I'm so ready to get past that hump to get back into such an incredible game.

Did you say you wanted a new follower? ? I guess I'll welcome myself aboard! I follow a fuckton of checklists so I might not be as up to date quickly, but I may pitch in my thoughts every now and then! For example, glad to see the TV issue was resolved!

You are a G. Thank you. ??

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

There's nothing quite like that feeling, when you're locked in and like "you can't hide from me, you're mine." You got this, homie!

For real. The smell of the hunt. I turned off the PS3 and turned on the PC to hop on the forum and thought: "damn that feels good. I feel SHARP... oh I'm doing The Dash Eternal. Oh yeah it's mine." ...aaaaand then it wasn't but that's ok. ?

I'm lovin those Lego heads you scored... also aaayyyyy a whiskey man!

Yeah it's a puzzle! A puzzle with Lego heads ?

Were you not able to get into them? What made you want to launch into those? Personally I never had much interest in those movies, but I've never cared for the Star Wars movies either, so who knows how valuable my opinion is?

Just bored and disappointed. Was expecting Sean Connery to be so good and for more action, more spectacle, more cool, and more "ooooooh, that's where that cliche comes from."

(That's why I tried to get into them). But apparently all of that doesn't come in until Pierce Brosnan. 

I think I'd enjoy Brosnan and Craig but I'm loathe to watch them out of order.

Mah man! I love all of this, good luck!!

Thanks bro ?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...