Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

On 10/8/2022 at 6:17 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Finally!

"Achieved Enlightenment :bronze:" today after 7 years of chipping away at N++ (half of which was during the last 6 months).

183b6028b6b37-6c138-D6-CDE0-C7-F96-F59-5

45 hours of playtime also brings me well under the estimated guide time as well which makes me feel even more proud... to think that this took less time than Crash 4 and Trackmania Turbo is insane considering it felt sooo much longer than both.

Review coming soon, I think.

Thanks for the compliment Kopite and for the recommendation by @YaManSmevz.

You make some fair points, Kopite, we will have to agree to disagree on the best Uncharted. :awesome: I reckon a replay of A Thief's End is due for 2023 for me, what do you think? Your comment actually made me really want to play the second entry again, so thanks for that! 

Firstly, you're very welcome!

Secondly, I always make fair points, sometimes fun points too! (Never funfair points, that'd be ridiculous haha)

Thirdly, we respect each other and thus each other's opinions and that's how it should be. You have a favourite from the franchise, I have a different favourite. It's nice to be able to converse rather than talking to someone where their opinion is fact and it's final lol 

I think you should replay both in 2023! Sounds like fun to me! I just want to find the one person in the world who thinks that Fight for Fortune is the best UC game lol (It was decent for what it was, and also Golden Abyss is vastly underrated by many!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done with N++! Man, I remember playing regular N+ back on the Xbox 360. It's a fun platformer, albeit with turrets of death at every corner! I assume it's the same variety here??
Great work getting this trophy! As long as you keep chipping away at something, you'll always get the job the done! Games are meant to be beaten, well done mate. ?

On 08/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

to think that this took less time than Crash 4 and Trackmania Turbo is insane considering it felt sooo much longer than both.

Ahhh yes, the inexplicable occurrence of slowed time that only appears when doing hard games! ? These buggers only ever happen on the hard stuff, unlike mellow but intricate games that you just wish would last longer! Lookin' at you, God of War... Oh wait, there's a sequel coming out! Wait... N++ IS a sequel... Er, I don't wanna cause a fracture in time here! ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A great issue of Vice - hot and spicy edition this time!

I probably do enjoy these games more than you generally, but I don't really disagree with any of the points you make - and I do find it interesting that there seems to be a certain clarity of your view on the Telltale canon retrospective, probably specifically because you didn't play The Walking Dead games.

What I mean by that is, I think there was a certain "glow" that Telltale basked in at first - and coasted on later - that came from the (well deserved) praise that first Walking Dead game got, and they were helped by being able to keep going back to that well...

...but it's fairly clear, I think, that Telltale recognised the enormous success of their Walking Dead games, but didn't necessarily understand what about them was so successful - because a lot of those elements aren't really replicated in their other post-TWD fare.

While the post-TWD dead games follow the same structure as TWD, there are two key elements that make those distinct from the other.

Firstly - TWD as an IP was weak enough, and Telltale's output numerous enough, that they effectively "took it over".

TWD comics are okay, but never great, and the TV show was pretty much unwatchable beyond the first season unless you were an absolute Zombie-Nut. Telltale made so many good games with it, that they sort of did what CD Project Red did with The Witcher - the Telltale games became the "default" thing thought of when people thought of "The Walking Dead" - at least, a good number of people.

To me, for example, "The Walking Dead" is a game series by Telltale first and foremost... and it also has some comic books and some TV shows - not the other way around.

All the other IPs they dipped into were too strong for that to happen (Fables / Game of Thrones / Batman etc.)

The only one they might conceivably have replicated that element in was Borderlands - the Gearbox games were pretty underwritten and not much fun to play, and Telltale's take on the world was so much more interesting than Gearbox's, that they had a chance of usurping it... but they only made the one game, so that never happened.

The other thing TWD has that none of the others have though, is emotion. The thing that kept people hooked on TWD series, was that the stories were actually emotionally engaging, not just cerebrally. I mean, I actually like TWAU more than any of TWD games... but even with my love of Fables (it's one of my favourite comic series ever), Telltale's game isn't playing on emotional resonance - just cerebral interest. There's no "Oh my God, I want to protect this little girl, this is awful, I can't look, no wait, I have to" element to them.

What's weird is - that was the stuff every review outlet cited when lauding the original TWD and giving it all the Game of the Year type awards and discussions - none of them were arguing that the best parts of the game were technical or mechanical. In fact, most people liked those games IN SPITE of those elements, not because of them....

...but those are the parts Telltale seemed to continue, and replicate again and again.

They never really went back to "emotional connection"... which seems misguided, and a little strange.

Anyways, that was a bit of a ramble.... sorry! ?

Great post as always mate! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Telltale Games

L7f43d2.pngTWAU-tile.png

TFTB-tile.pngGOT-tile.pngLba674d.png

:platinum: #22 (PS4) Back to the Future: The Game, 5/10 

:platinum: #11 (PS4) The Wolf Among Us, 8/10 

:platinum: #43 (PS4) Tales from the Borderlands, 2.5/10 

:platinum: #26 (PS4) Game of Thrones, 2.5/10 

:platinum: #48 (PS4) Batman: The Telltale Series, 2/10  

I pretty much saw you make mention of this, went to sleep, woke up and here it is! Thank you for that? I choose to believe you thought about Telltale, figured "well I have a spare hour," wrote this up, and yawned while posting. 

Fantastic read (not that this is unusual of course)! I've only played the first two Telltale games in this piece, and I'm now glad that I've never taken the bait of the rest. Sad to see such a meteoric collapse of a company that really had something for a while, but I guess that's what you get when greedy dickbags are in charge.

Great breakdown of said two games, but I especially enjoyed getting schooled on the why of Telltale's downfall, and more importantly, why to not pay any mind to those games! The Batman game makes me particularly sad, because that with the environment of TWAU could've been really bad ass.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well done mate!!!

While these games may not stack up to the achievements of others in the event

Nah man, don't even worry about this. I too am looking at others who I reckon are blowing me outta the water in comparison! ? There's always a good humbleness in knowing that even those you look up to struggle too. Believe me, I've had my fair share of raging at Wipeout! And also, you got your 10 games done faster than me! ?
I always say this, and it's something I find to be a great motivator: but on a physical level, there's nothing that separates you from a person who has done particular games. It all comes down to perseverance, and you've pulled off some great games this year! Hyper Light Drifter is a fantastic game, the game is chock full of great bosses with some pretty intricate attack patterns, and even the regular enemies too.
The UR event next year is bringing it back down to 5 games... I reckon you should give Furi a go brother, you can definitely do it! It's got a somewhat similar fighting philosophy to that of HLD... Not to mention, it's got some kickass music, unlike GRID as you said. I also loved that physics demonstration! ?
And N++ is another classic. Had some memories playing a version of that bad boy on the 360, and I remember it being a huge challenge for sure. Be proud of the games you've done this year man!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 4

Well shit, looks like I gotta play n++.

First of all, a huge congrats on these beastly completions!!

zoolander-boss.gif

I have to second Shrooba's remark, it's very easy to let the accomplishments of others dwarf your own (believe me, I feel you on that.. all my friends here, yourself included, are certified bad asses, after all), but it's important to give yourself that pat on the back when it's due. And it is, you've knocked out some serious heavy hitters, props all day?

I've seen enough trusted sources sing Superhot's praises, it's probably time I try it out?

Grip looks absolutely stunning, and frankly the lack of racing games on my profile needs to be corrected. I'll just make sure my wife hasn't eaten when I play it!

Dude the soundtrack for Slain is fuckin liiiit, I fucked with that!! It's been a maybe for me for a long time now, I guess next time it's on sale I gotta jump on that one. I actually own and am looking forward to Valfaris myself!

Really pleased to see you rate STFU so highly, and agreed pretty hard about the rarity and where it likely comes from. I'd fuck with a sequel too, truth be told!

n++ intimidates me a great deal, not gonna lie... but after that glowing write-up, I feel I've got no choice but to check it out. Making me interested in games that would be fun and satisfying, and likely cheap in a sale... you bastard.

Congrats again dude, that's a huge feat and you should be proud, especially since I remember gaming time being pretty difficult for you to come by earlier in the year. Also, in case it wasn't a given, outstanding write-up!

.....um... yeah, I think that's all! I'll see myself out.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Indie Omnibus II

(a.k.a. that time that I bit the bullet and participated in an Ultra Rare Cleanup Event).

Damn son - this one was a beast!

I can't possibly go through in any kind of order, or do it justice, so I'm going for the freeform thought-stream of my takeaways:

• Yo, I've never even heard of Grip before! Is that weird? I gotta admit - it looks liked rad!
  • My brain spent more time than I'd care to admit, trying to figure out why you're wrong about your breakdown of the rotational direction of the wheels.... before reaslising I was too tired, and you're 100% right ?
  • N++ Seems super weird... and I'm kinda into it?
  • It is a source of extreme shame that I have owned Slain for over a year now, and failed to play it yet!
  • Everything about STFU is awesome, and I'm glad you concur!
  • This: 
On 26/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

There’s an additional mode (the “Helladeck”) Chloe.png

made me laugh more than it should have!

• Superhot IS more of a puzzle game! Also rad!
  • Dishonoured is in your "Generally Fun" category and not the "Super Fun" category...   I await your Dishonoured series omnibus, but...             AZ-Ckl3e0-R74-KFGQ-94zrao-Qu-CBEor-BHDqz

Also other things!

Okay I love you bye bye! 

• Like 3

On 26/11/2022 at 11:11 PM, Shrooba said:

The UR event next year is bringing it back down to 5 games... I reckon you should give Furi a go brother, you can definitely do it! It's got a somewhat similar fighting philosophy to that of HLD... Not to mention, it's got some kickass music, unlike GRID as you said. I also loved that physics demonstration

Furi is definitely on the list. I think I've already bought it actually... that soundtrack is incredible, isn't it? I listen to it all the time!!

On 26/11/2022 at 11:11 PM, Shrooba said:

And N++ is another classic. Had some memories playing a version of that bad boy on the 360, and I remember it being a huge challenge for sure.

Oh, N+? I hope you enjoyed it. I didn't have the money for it at the time but I did play N on PC about 15 years ago. They are hard games, absolutely!

On 27/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, YaManSmevz said:

I've seen enough trusted sources sing Superhot's praises, it's probably time I try it out1f602.png

Grip looks absolutely stunning, and frankly the lack of racing games on my profile needs to be corrected. I'll just make sure my wife hasn't eaten when I play it!

Dude the soundtrack for Slain is fuckin liiiit, I fucked with that!! It's been a maybe for me for a long time now, I guess next time it's on sale I gotta jump on that one. I actually own and am looking forward to Valfaris myself!

n++ intimidates me a great deal, not gonna lie... but after that glowing write-up, I feel I've got no choice but to check it out. 

Make sure you really know what you're getting into with Superhot and Grip (and even Slain). They are interesting enough to experience but their Platinum journeys are not particularly fulfilling. 

On 27/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Really pleased to see you rate STFU so highly, and agreed pretty hard about the rarity and where it likely comes from. I'd fuck with a sequel too, truth be told!

?

On 29/11/2022 at 2:25 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Grip - it looks liked rad!

It definitely does look rad. But I think that 5 hours (at most) of play time is enough, though. After that the negatives start to outweigh the positives.

N++ Seems super weird... and I'm kinda into it?

For sure! Not for the faint-hearted but very well put together for its scope.

Dishonoured is in your "Generally Fun" category and not the "Super Fun" category...   I await your Dishonoured series omnibus

Indeed. I appreciated a lot about it... just didn't vibe. As you know I'm enjoying Prey a lot more.

• Like 2

Vice is out here killing it!! Get it broooooooo!!

I def want to echo both Shrooba and Smev's comments... You are crushing some absolutely challenging games out here! Regardless of if it's Crypt, N++, or whatever... It really does come down to perseverance with these extremely hard games! You should be extremely proud of yourself for knocking all those out my dude ?

Before I started in the UR challenge last year, I didn't really have a ton of difficult challenges under my belt. But something about that competition lit a fire under me and I've been pleasantly surprised at the games I finished that I thought I never could! Something about that challenge was helping to keep me motivated and accountable for following things through. 

At any rate, very enjoyable read here! I am very much looking forward to following along with your future progress, as well as participating in the UR Challenge with you again next year, should you choose to do so again!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome man!

A great read - happy to see Prey representing (as I'm sure you anticipated ?!) and great seeing all the game love.

Man, this is really making me think I should dust off my Call of Duty appreciation, and check out that MW remake! ?

Love the formatting too - the images for each award, and the screenshots and everything - I know how much work that all takes, and you knocked it outta the park - it doesn't go unnoticed!

Big congrats on the Missing Couple case too  - that was a totally unanticipated thing, and ended up being one of the best events on the site - if you ever do that again, I'm first in line to sign up!

Overall a great read, and a really cool isight into a great gaming year, m'dude!

Outstanding!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Platinum_Vice said:

First, the eligible games (aka the games that I played this year):

Where's the Final Fantasy games? Where's the Resident Evil games? Where's the Sonic games?

Where is any game that I've made a trophy guide for?!

You should be ashamed!

? lol

That was a magnificantly quality post from a quality member of the site.

Congrats to what you've achieved this year and to more in 2023!

Also, Enslaved was pretty decent but boy o boy did that game glitch on me. Any interest in the platinum went out the window with all those glitchy orbs lol 

• Like 3

Congratulations on making it another year!

Agreed with what others have said - outstanding presentation and formatting on your end of year post.

I love how Hyper Light Drifter was the runaway winner this year.  And doubly so, I remember us chatting and you lamenting about how miserable the Dash Eternal trophy was and to advise me to play it without trophies in mind because the list is terrible.  Still shows how a quality game that is difficulty as hell can be what I call "Type 2 fun" - kind of sucks while doing it, but provides much satisfaction after complete with time to reflect.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Runner up: Driver: San Francisco 

Le66070.png

The PSNP’s guide estimates a 20 hour completion time... and that is pure horseshit. I spent about 50-60 hours playing Driver and half of that was boosting online. The boost isn’t all bad as you can compete with other players in the online events to pass the time but there are still dozens of hours of grinding to be had here. 

This made me crack up ???, I can't critique too much since players who even bother to put the effort into making a trophy guide are praiseworthy for that endeavor in and of itself. But it is comical when you start playing a game and going: "gee... the guy said it'd take this long but I dunno how that's feasible" and you fully realize how gross the underestimation was. I believe trophy guides should always put an estimated time that's slightly longer than normal because the only "side effect" would make someone feel better for completing the game slightly faster than anticipated! I really hope one day the game by some miracle gets remastered... I'd love to play it on modern hardware(and was an Xbox boy back in the PS3 days)

I get it. I now understand why people buy this shit every year. I am playing as myself. Worth every penny. 

I didn’t know that you could do this and if I did, I wouldn’t have thought that it would look so realistic with so many options to choose from, and I wouldn’t have picked that I’d get that invested. A true surprise. 

As a long-time sports fan (and player of sports video games), this was probably my favorite part of the entire recap. For as much bad as sports games can produce (specifically in their Ultimate Team & online cheesing modes), there's a ton of joy to be found in either playing out your career as a baller from low 50's and 60's to league MVP! I personally have always adored the role of assuming a General Manager position and slowly but surely building a paltry squad into a dynasty. Glad to hear you loved it!

Lovely review, I especially like how many visuals you included for games I was a bit more unfamiliar with. You've also given me a few ideas that I'll steal pluck for my own awards! 

• Like 3

Awesome work my dude!! Great read. You kicked off Awards Ceremony season in some serious style man, this is some top notch stuff!

Not that that's anything new for you, of course! Anyway, a few notes...

- Agreed HARD on Modern Warfare's trophy list. Nothing unreasonable but with decent challenges, and more importantly, they were all really fun! I think my favorite was the single bullet per enemy one. Also gotta love a good Full Metal Jacket reference?

- Neverending Nightmares, eh? INTRIGUING. Also looks gotta play Hyper Light Drifter...

- You deserve every pat on the back you get for that missing couple event man, you absolutely killed it. I could only imagine how much work that took.

- Yeah, I'm definitely not as grabbed by Enslaved as I thought I would be. As you say, for as often as it gets referred to as underrated, I can't help thinking it was rated just fine!

- I have to agree with Realm, I am very happy to see you had such a good time with The Show! I feel you on what a blast it is to rise the ranks in those games man, it's so damn fun.

Oh, also:

Best Award Image

Best looking image in a sea of spectacular looking images.

Winner:

6-Visual.png

Definitely agreed with this one too?

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 2

Yo, was just reading through again, catching all the little things I missed the first time, and just wanted to drop some stray, rather more specific,  less generic "it's all nice! nice, nice nicington! Good nicing!" thoughts!

(I promise I won't just keep monopolising your thread with a continual stream of responses, but there's a lot to catch in just one read in these!)

Best Trophy Hunting Experience

I'm honestly really gratified to see the Dunwall Trials making a showing there!

So, I did those a very long time ago, and rose-tinting might have started to bleed into it - but as much as I remember really finding them brutally difficult - I do remember genuinely thinking they were a lot of fun!

I'm not a huge "challenge for challenge sake" kind of guy, so if they were purely unfair, I reckon I'd have just dropped them and left the list incomplete - but they aren't really. They're brutally unforgiving... but not necessarily unfair. You do actually feel yourself getting better, and while you miss it more often than not, victory does always feel just one more try away at all times... and that makes for great fun in the pursuit - and real satisfaction in victory!

Not one I'd have anticipated seeing on this list, but very happy to!

Longest Grind

Man, I swear - every time you mention Grip, I see the screenshot, go "Oh, that looks so cool"... and then you say something that pushes me back away a bit ?

I don't know what it is, but there's something about the look of that game that just draws me in... I guess it's just the chunky, slightly silly, maybe a bit over-suspension -style racing I remember liking, back when I played some racers (in the days of yore!)

Best Level Design

Man - I had to do a double take, to see if you played Dishonoured 2 this year - and was genuinely fascinated when I saw you did, didn't give it best level design (Clockwork yo)... but did give it to Prey!

Can't be mad - it's a meticulously well made world on Talos 1 - and while I'll always go to bat for Clockwork Mansion as best "discrete" level - actually, the more I think about it, Prey maybe should take it, if it's an award for the whole game! 

Its just so cohesive and well proportioned - the way, like you say, you can actually figure out that there are false walls, by looking at the outside proportions vs. inside, and extrapolating, or how you always have multiple ways of getting from one place to another, because you come to know the place and it's weird construction from all angles!

Favourite Character

Yo... is that Victoria Neuman from The Boys? ?

Weird!

Most Fun Gameplay Moment

I know you're really giving Prey the award for the whole thing (you are right to do so!) but it's telling to me that you used a screenshot of the apartment - that moment with the balcony glass is SUCH a special thing - genuinely caught me off guard when I played! That was the first inkling that this game was going to be capable of doing some special stuff - some "Would You Kindly's" if you will - and it pretty much never stopped doing them from that point on!

Biggest Flop

What would an awards post be, if we didn't disagree on something? ?

Man - I really dug Enslaved! 

...of course, I was playing back when it released, and so the whole "post-post-post-apocalypse", "society has rebuilt in the ashes, oh look, nature has taken it back, and Ariel doesn't know what a fork is" thing wasn't already as much of a thing (Thanks Obama Horizon). Also, the facial animation tech was certainly an impressive thing, that has probably aged like warm milk.

I do remember the ending being as mad as a bag of hammers, and the collectibles being a pain, but still!

Biggest Surprise

This is my biggest surprise.

That you chose MLB as biggest surprise - no. Well, that's a surprise - and an interesting one - but there's a bigger surprise contained within that surprise.

The lushness and fullness of your epic beard! ?

If this is indeed an accurate facsimile of your face - I am jealous of your hirsute genes!

My beard looks like I moisturised with superglue, then rolled on a rug.?

Game of the Year

Man, I still haven't played Hyper Light Drifter (to be honest, I got a little put off it by Solar Ash) - but seeing the company it keeps here, and the games it beat out, I really do need to get it back elevated in the backlog! These screenshots really do make it seem like something special - as does all the things you have to say!

Anyways - I'll stop now - again, awesome work m'dude!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Congrats for a bountiful 2022 Vice! And what a great year it was, I see that most of your games were quite bangers (except maybe Enslaved, heard it has some issues)

I am pleasantly surprised to see Braid nominated so many times. A great game, probably the first "true" indie ever made? I liked it too...too bad that speedrun trophy made me tear out my hair xD 

Also major props for Slain Back From Hell, a one of the most metal games out there 7VHkaLM.gif

Here's to a great 2023! 

• Like 3

Looks like you had a pretty good year and as much as I am not familiar with most of these titles, (the only game we have in common from this list is Hitman Go :lol:) there are definitely a few games I will be making sure I get to sometime. Prey looks like a roller coaster of good fun and Ive always kinda been meaning to give The Show a try. Im with doc though as my beard growing skillz are lacking too. I did manage a decent 'stache for Movember this year but the rest of the face rug just comes in looking like the latest soccer football design.

Hope 2023 brings another batch of great memories!

• Like 2

On 14/12/2022 at 8:51 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Man, this is really making me think I should dust off my Call of Duty appreciation, and check out that MW remake! 1f62e.png

Give it a go mate - one of the better FPS games that I've played for years. The complete product is not perfect but the campaign has enough of a disparity between what the developers wanted to say versus what the player actually experiences... but that just means that there's more room for some thoughtful analysis which I know you'll enjoy doing.

If it helps, I'll review it for either the next series or the one after that, maybe pull the trigger then?

On 14/12/2022 at 8:51 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Love the formatting too - the images for each award, and the screenshots and everything - I know how much work that all takes, and you knocked it outta the park - it doesn't go unnoticed!

Big congrats on the Missing Couple case too  - that was a totally unanticipated thing, and ended up being one of the best events on the site - if you ever do that again, I'm first in line to sign up!

I know you like these things, too! Thanks for the compliments Doc. ?

On 15/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

the Dunwall Trials  ... They're brutally unforgiving... but not necessarily unfair.

?

Longest Grind

Man, I swear - every time you mention Grip, I see the screenshot, go "Oh, that looks so cool"... and then you say something that pushes me back away a bit 1f602.png

I don't know what it is, but there's something about the look of that game that just draws me in... I guess it's just the chunky, slightly silly, maybe a bit over-suspension -style racing I remember liking, back when I played some racers (in the days of yore!)

It IS pretty... but beauty fades soon enough. The gameplay isn't strong enough to hold it up for the length of time that it takes to finish. I know you don't mind dropping a game instead of S-ranking it... so regarding whether to recommend it to you, I'd say grab it if it's on sale for less than 10 pounds, but don't pay more than that, and don't expect more than four or five hours of fun/the 50+ hours required for a platinum.

Best Level Design

Man - I had to do a double take, to see if you played Dishonoured 2 this year - and was genuinely fascinated when I saw you did, didn't give it best level design (Clockwork yo)... but did give it to Prey!

Yeah, D2 got snubbed!! I'm pulling the trigger on doing a Call of Duty series review and a Dishonored series review as the next two up to bat. I was going to save Dishonored to go in one mega batch with Prey and Deathloop but they can now wait for an Arkane Games Part 2.

... Prey and I had an instant chemistry but Dishonored and I can't seem to make it work. ? 

... You might have to sit down for the Dishonored review, by the way. 

michael-scott-steve-carell.gif

And I am genuinely dreading your reaction to a Life is Strange review so I keep pushing it back. If I mentally prepare you now then the pain might not be so bad later.

Favourite Character

Yo... is that Victoria Neuman from The Boys1f914.png

Weird!

Yes! I have to see that show... I'm one of the only people that hasn't seen it yet! 

Prey the award for the whole thing (you are right to do so!) but it's telling to me that you used a screenshot of the apartment - that moment with the balcony glass is SUCH a special thing - genuinely caught me off guard when I played! That was the first inkling that this game was going to be capable of doing some special stuff - some "Would You Kindly's" if you will - and it pretty much never stopped doing them from that point on!

Yes, yes and yes. This game has been the best recommendation that you've given me so far. Thank you!

Biggest Flop

What would an awards post be, if we didn't disagree on something? 1f602.png

Man - I really dug Enslaved! 

...of course, I was playing back when it released, and so the whole "post-post-post-apocalypse", "society has rebuilt in the ashes, oh look, nature has taken it back, and Ariel doesn't know what a fork is" thing wasn't already as much of a thing (Thanks Obama Horizon). Also, the facial animation tech was certainly an impressive thing, that has probably aged like warm milk.

I do remember the ending being as mad as a bag of hammers, and the collectibles being a pain, but still!

Yeah this one's getting absolutely slated when it comes time to review it.

The technical performance was heinous (worst performing PS3 game for me - easily!) and the collectible process was laughably bad. 

I remember the first time that I picked up a mask and had a flashback - "is that Andy Serkis?" ... nah, can't be.

Second mask: "nah that's Andy Serkis! ....... ohhhh Monkey actually does look like him, that's why he looks so familiar!"

Then I picked up on the motion capture which is pretty sweet. Monkey and Trip's facial expressions still hold up in 2022, by the way! It's just a shame that Trip has constant 'vulnerable face.'

The ending sucked. 

The lushness and fullness of your epic beard! 1f602.png

It's beautiful. It's called 'The Tickler.'

Game of the Year

Man, I still haven't played Hyper Light Drifter (to be honest, I got a little put off it by Solar Ash) - but seeing the company it keeps here, and the games it beat out, I really do need to get it back elevated in the backlog! These screenshots really do make it seem like something special - as does all the things you have to say!

When I play Solar Ash I might be able to give you a more accurate comparison. I know Arcesius enjoyed Solar Ash but not as much as HLD, maybe that corroborates my opinion?

On 14/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, The_Kopite said:

Where's the Final Fantasy games? Where's the Resident Evil games? Where's the Sonic games?

Where is any game that I've made a trophy guide for?!

You should be ashamed!

1f61b.png lol

That was a magnificantly quality post from a quality member of the site.

Congrats to what you've achieved this year and to more in 2023!

Also, Enslaved was pretty decent but boy o boy did that game glitch on me. Any interest in the platinum went out the window with all those glitchy orbs lol 

Hah! What if I told you that I recently bought the remake copy of the first Resident Evil and am looking forward to enjoying it?

Thank you ??

On 15/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

I love how Hyper Light Drifter was the runaway winner this year.  And doubly so, I remember us chatting and you lamenting about how miserable the Dash Eternal trophy was and to advise me to play it without trophies in mind because the list is terrible.  Still shows how a quality game that is difficulty as hell can be what I call "Type 2 fun" - kind of sucks while doing it, but provides much satisfaction after complete with time to reflect.

Actually, this makes me realise that I didn't give out an award for shittest trophy list. It would undoubtedly go to HLD.

On 15/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, DrunkenEngineer said:

Agreed with what others have said - outstanding presentation and formatting on your end of year post.

❤️❤️

On 15/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, realm722 said:

This made me crack up 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png, I can't critique too much since players who even bother to put the effort into making a trophy guide are praiseworthy for that endeavor in and of itself. But it is comical when you start playing a game and going: "gee... the guy said it'd take this long but I dunno how that's feasible" and you fully realize how gross the underestimation was. I believe trophy guides should always put an estimated time that's slightly longer than normal because the only "side effect" would make someone feel better for completing the game slightly faster than anticipated! I really hope one day the game by some miracle gets remastered... I'd love to play it on modern hardware(and was an Xbox boy back in the PS3 days)

I agree with all of this. Guides should be accurate but if there's variation (and that can't be reflected (like with PSNP's guide software requiring a solid number)) then give the maximum time! No one thinks 'oof the author must have been a beast at this game,' they think 'I've been bamboozled!'

I'd play it again! 

Car-darts.gif

On 15/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, realm722 said:

As a long-time sports fan (and player of sports video games), this was probably my favorite part of the entire recap. For as much bad as sports games can produce (specifically in their Ultimate Team & online cheesing modes), there's a ton of joy to be found in either playing out your career as a baller from low 50's and 60's to league MVP! I personally have always adored the role of assuming a General Manager position and slowly but surely building a paltry squad into a dynasty. Glad to hear you loved it!

Lovely review, I especially like how many visuals you included for games I was a bit more unfamiliar with. You've also given me a few ideas that I'll steal pluck for my own awards!

Yeah I know you and Smevz enjoy some ball now and then! I should check out the other modes. To be honest they are quite intimidating as there's very little in the way of genuine tutorials and I know almost nothing about modern baseball (re management and management personalities, how the trades and drafts work etc) to be relying on.

Thanks for stopping by. ❤️

On 15/12/2022 at 9:09 AM, YaManSmevz said:

- Agreed HARD on Modern Warfare's trophy list. Nothing unreasonable but with decent challenges, and more importantly, they were all really fun! I think my favorite was the single bullet per enemy one. Also gotta love a good Full Metal Jacket reference1f604.png

- You deserve every pat on the back you get for that missing couple event man, you absolutely killed it. I could only imagine how much work that took.

- I have to agree with Realm, I am very happy to see you had such a good time with The Show! I feel you on what a blast it is to rise the ranks in those games man, it's so damn fun.

???

Neverending Nightmares, eh? INTRIGUING.

Woah! Pump the brakes on that one, turbo! 

Yeah, I'm definitely not as grabbed by Enslaved as I thought I would be. As you say, for as often as it gets referred to as underrated, I can't help thinking it was rated just fine!

??

Oh, also:

Definitely agreed with this one too1f609.png

Ahhh, I see what you did there!

Thanks homie ?

On 16/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, Copanele said:

I am pleasantly surprised to see Braid nominated so many times. A great game, probably the first "true" indie ever made? I liked it too...too bad that speedrun trophy made me tear out my hair

Yeah it was great, huh?! That speedrun trophy was nuts. I recognised too late that it's on theme. Tim is rewinding time to chase an unattainable perfection... exactly what the player is doing with that speedrun trophy.

On 16/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, Copanele said:

Also major props for Slain Back From Hell, a one of the most metal games out there

??? Thank you!

On 17/12/2022 at 0:52 AM, gruffiiti said:

Looks like you had a pretty good year and as much as I am not familiar with most of these titles, (the only game we have in common from this list is Hitman Go :lol:) there are definitely a few games I will be making sure I get to sometime. Prey looks like a roller coaster of good fun and Ive always kinda been meaning to give The Show a try. Im with doc though as my beard growing skillz are lacking too. I did manage a decent 'stache for Movember this year but the rest of the face rug just comes in looking like the latest soccer football design.

Hope 2023 brings another batch of great memories!

Woah, you're missing out!! So many good games this year that I heartily recommend! Thanks for the love! ??

Thanks all!! ✌️

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

You might have to sit down for the Dishonored review, by the way. 

7 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

And I am genuinely dreading your reaction to a Life is Strange review so I keep pushing it back. If I mentally prepare you now then the pain might not be so bad later.

hang on…

F8-E24923-1067-49-A5-BA81-5452477-FF07-D

?

Nah, you’ll get a pass on any Dishonoured blasphemy- after all, whether I agree on not - you’ve got the full weight of Arkane knowledge to draw on… whether you use it for good or evil, it is still well-founded!

Life is Strange I can handle - lord knows, I’ve read some fire thrown that game’s way… and some of it I can even agree with… but it can’t dull  my own personal love for that franchise!

Some media just speaks to you on a level that can transcend some objectively ropey elements!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:12 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Hah! What if I told you that I recently bought the remake copy of the first Resident Evil and am looking forward to enjoying it?

Thank you 1f601.png1f44a.png

I'd say..........

Welcome to the RE Family! ???

(You'd better enjoy it though! Otherwise I'll send some Zombie Dogs after you! hahahah I jest, I jest!)

(Promise....)

• Like 3