Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

Damn son, that was a beast!

A great issue as always - an odd one for me this time, as I've played Redemption and Revolver, but not RDR2, but dug reading those parts anyways - and you're right, those screenshots of 2 are gorgeous!

I never caught this:

17 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

It is of course fitting that Jack found Ross fishing because Ross first met Jack many years earlier during Jack’s first fishing lesson. 

when I was playing - or at least, didn't remember, but that's some nice bookending right there!

• Like 2

Your taste never disappoints Vice. I'm still yet to finish RDR2 and I've had it since release, and I don't tend to rate a game until I've wrapped it up, but if there ever was a 10/10 game then this is the one.

I read the whole thing as I had the story ruined for me within like 3 days of release, and I couldn't agree more with your views on the story. Fantastically done through both games in the series, although I never really felt the pull to be dishonourable as I always thought Arthur came across as a sweetheart in comparison to most of the rest of the gang. His interactions with Mary-Beth and Tilly only cement it for me.

18 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-20231231223449.jpg

Arthur Morgan

This absolutely sent me by the way. I'm not used to seeing Arthur so.....shaggy.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 7:41 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Series: Red Dead Redemption

L73f9a0.pngL758121.pngL1536bd.png

You killed it, my guy👊

Can I just say, this little touch was genius? Being able to play a track from the game you're talking about and go right back to reading was so inspired. Between that and all the visuals (long a beloved staple of your checklist), it's like this is the closest you could possibly get to feeling like you're watching a video while reading! Props for the formatting man, it's top notch!

Note.png[Jose Gonzalez - Far Away]

Mexico-Gonzalez.jpg

The inclusion of Jose Gonzalez’s Far Away landed a direct hit with me... I still remember playing in the dark and deep in the night long after my wife (then girlfriend) had gone to sleep beside me. The prior missions had a natural rise in action and tension so I was still alert and pushing onwards. I had felt that some sense of real accomplishment was on the horizon... and then John and I were thrust deep into Mexico, a foreign land of (then) massive proportions yet to be explored in the slightest, and as Jose sang, we were indeed “so far, so far away.” It was a touching surprise to experience a sung acoustic piece in a western-themed video game. RDR1 and RDR2 just have an uncanny ability to feel as if they are speaking directly to me in these beautiful moments of creative direction and I have zero doubt that anyone who reads this – having played RDR1 – would say the same about this moment.

I love that you included this. You know it's coming (I mean Mexico is on the freakin map after all), but when it does it absolutely captures that moment in gaming where you're in a whole new place and, well not overwhelmed, but in the very least sufficiently whelmed with all the new things to see, learn, and do there are, while almost yearning for all the places and things you'd grown so used to. Games change settings all the time, but when they really make you feel it, that's something special. Now I wanna listen to more Jose Gonzalez..

Also, who of us married men do not know the feeling of reaching over for a controller and hoping the PS4's spirited beeping noise doesn't wake our sleeping wives😂

Trophy.png #100 (PS3) Red Dead Redemption, 10/10 

I might agree. Finally playing RDR totally fucked up my Rockstar rankings🤣 I love John, I love his story, I love that gorgeous map and how stunningly well it realizes the dying days of the old west. Fantastic analysis, my dude!

Trophy.png #76 (PS4) Red Dead Redemption II, 10/10 

Sigh.... soon, RDR2... soon.

Definitely dreading being responsoble for that trophy list, but not enough to miss out on more of this fantastic world, that's for damn sure.

Red Dead Revolver:

Reveal hidden contents

And briefly, right at the end of this overly-long post, this is where Revolver belongs: in the footnotes.

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221116130107.jpg

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221117140334.jpg

It was competent as a PS2 game and the port to the PS4 was also... competent.

It was developed by Capcom and then sold to Rockstar as a finished product, so it is nothing like the two Redemption games.

The dialogue is ultra campy. The ‘snappy’ shooting mechanics felt fairly smooth but all other gameplay mechanics were functionally janky. Boss fights in particular were the weakest parts of the game from a mechanical perspective.

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221202205159.jpg

The characters were one or two-dimensional, and there were odd changes in tone throughout the patchwork quilt of the plot, as playable characters were rotated every three or so missions for flavour and variety, and they each seemed to be written and coded by different devs with separate visions. For example, I enjoyed the stealth mission when playing as Shadow Wolf (an Indian man), but did not enjoy the arena-style shootout against a magician and an army of midget clowns when I played as a dual-wielding, pinstripe suit-wearing Englishman.

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221116132656.jpg

Funnily enough, the PS2-era level design was something that I found enjoyable but that was because it reminded me of PS1 platformers from my early gaming days. The level designs interwove in a way that I presume prevented unnecessary technical load on the PS2’s hardware limitations, and so the levels therefore look like piles of spaghetti, even though the plot is far too campy and uninspired to be compared to a spaghetti western.

(PS4) Red Dead Revolver, 6/10 

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221117132117.jpg

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221115203909.jpg

Red-Dead-Revolver-20221128141523.jpg

Ah, a perfectly placed tribute to what (kinda) started it all. Agreed with all points here - I'd completely forgotten about Jack Swift's fight with that weirdo, and yes it was quite a pain in the ass😂 It certainly has its charm, but everything is very 2D, and while I enjoyed it for the most part, it's nothing I'd hurriedly recommend to... well, anybody!

As usual, you've outdone yourself, my friend. Great work!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I've been waiting for this one!

Sunday suit on, brushed my teeth, took a nice seat and I will reply with the fact that:

1. I absolutely loved Elden Ring, even the third time around
  2. You are absolutely correct with all your mentions 😂

But first, let's cover masterpiece No. 1 Bloodborne:

30 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

This guy's favourite weapon is a brick - aha! It's @Copanele

My inner Joel from TLoU smiles. Bricks are the perfect weapons given to mankind 😌

Ahem...yeah what else can I say about Bloodborne that you haven't already? Amazing game, I think even Miyazaki said that Bloodborne is his best work even after Elden Ring, the story is so convoluted that you have to dig deep in the Chalice Dungeons to even understand wtf is going on (and no, you are NOT the danger, it's more Lovecraftian than that, but eh, don't think too much about it). Gameplay is divine, Yharnam looks like any Londoner's backyard (is there anyone who hasn't made that joke?) and the music...ah the music reminds me that at one point in my life I studied Latin. 0 knowledge but still, beautiful music.

34 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Vicar Amelia was the hardest boss in the game for me (requiring more attempts than any other boss including Chalice Amygdala), and the Blood-Starved Beast was tough, but not as hard as I'd heard it to be. Hearing other’s experiences with the first five bosses always interests me – who was your kryptonite? 

Unfortunately my kryptonite was this asshole:

maxresdefault.jpg

And no...not Darkbeast Paarl. To be fair, my kryptonite was my own dumb ass rushing in and getting skewered by a gang of "HUUUUH YE'RE NOT WANTED 'ERE" . But in terms of bosses, the only TRUE roadblock was Loran Darkbeast. The final boss of Lower Loran who was the most asinine fight in the entire game. I had no issues with Ebrietas, Ludwig was manageable, Orphan of Kos was decent if you parried him rightly....but this lanky ass skele-pikachu was the bane of my existence for several hours, mainly because it's the only boss who brought my sweet 30FPS down to 15 FPS. Also he hits like a truck.

And yeah...Chalice Dungeons suck ass. I did NOT like them one bit.

But now let's get to the problem child - Elder Bling

I absolutely loved this game, there's no secret about it. I believe it's truly a game that will be talked about ages from now on.

But I also agree with all your points about Elden Ring, because that's super valid criticism. Elden Ring is also a terribly flawed game and bashing the game because of the flaws is absolutely normal. It's only up to the player here to either accept those flaws or say "this game ain't for me".

I also believe that Elden Ring and Fromsoft games got too famous for their own good, but that's a discussion for another time 😂

For instance, the key difference here:

50 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Elden Ring gave me too many choices for places to go and I collapsed under the weight of that experience. The enemies could have been just as difficult as they were in Bloodborne, but why struggle against a Tree Sentinel if I could just... go somewhere else? And that mentality unfortunately stuck with me for the entire experience. That’s problem #1: giving me too many excuses to not engage with the core gameplay loop. 

And yes: I absolutely blame FromSoftware’s game design instead of holding myself accountable for that, because I had no way to tell where I was ‘supposed’ to go, or why I was going in any direction. I think this was because FromSoftware wanted me to have two simultaneous states of mind: that I can go anywhere to take on any challenge, and that I can quit any challenge to go somewhere else. Those two states of mind are in direct conflict with each other. That’s problem #2. 

Reason why I actually disliked Sekiro (and that is MY unpopular opinion) is how deprived of options I was. In comparison, Elden Ring is like my dream coming true - I can go anywhere and do anything. Yeah yeah I have to kick some lords, fuck off I want to go to the slimy red swamp and whack some dragon butts because I want to get an extra point in faith. The game actively tried to send me TOWARDS the goal and I actively REFUSED to get to that goal. My happy happy joy exploration led me to finding a stupid ass anchor that could get covered in barnacles and I had the time of my life beating the "thoust would'st thy elden ring tarnished ye" jimbos with my Jack Sparrow outfit. Right until I got distracted by another shiny kitchen knife that blasted red paint on the enemies.

But you see, that is my kind of jam. I played a lot of super old school action-RPGS that would simply throw you to the wolves, no map, only some loincloth, go forth my son. Having to figure shit out in a huge sandbox. I do understand though that having no constraints is actually a reason to get stressed out 😂

In which case, all you had to do was following these golden lines on the map:

Screen_Shot_2022_04_04_at_1.17.59_PM.png

These lines show you exactly where you have to go in order to reach the "next point of interest". If you ever get lost, the Grace will guide you or something along those lines, several NPCs tell you that, whenever they don't call you maidenless. And I know that you already figured that out 😂 but honestly this is a thing done first in Dark Souls 1 - if that path is blocked by a beastie that absolutely uninstalls your game when it hits you, then you definitely have to take the other path.

Which makes me realize that you might not really like Dark Souls 1 that much... 😅AH WELL!

1 hour ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Genuinely: what is the player’s motivation to play this game? Because all I can think of is “getting to see the creative artstyle and the wacky boss around the next corner” and “saying that you did it/being one of the eLiTe ChOsEn gamers.” ...Don’t even get me started on the Soulsborne community. 

If you ask me, main reason why I played this game 3 full playthroughs is because:

Playthrough 1 - "what the FUCK is going on there" was my main motivator

Playthrough 2 - "can I beat this game in my underwear and with a stick" was my second motivator

Playthrough 3 - "ok I tried being a melee god, let's try to be a lightning spitting god" was my third motivator.

Yes unfortunately the game is way too big for me to replay it the same way as I would replay Dark Souls 1, but all 3 playthroughs were absolutely fantastic for me. 

This is only ME speaking though :D 

Also the biggest flaw of Elden Ring is STILL the community. There's no fixing that. Everyone swarmed around this series like flies, saying that "it's impossible bruv" and "if you don't play like I do then you're worthless". Can't do anything about it unfortunately.

There's still no story. (Problem #8)

The obtuse nature of FromSoft narratives harks back to Miyazaki’s younger life experiences of reading English fantasy and science fiction books and not being able to understand everything due to his lack of knowledge of the language. He filled in the gaps with his imagination. Was he “reading it wrong?” 

Yeah, actually, he was. 

And channelling those feelings into the way Soulsbornes tell their stories is a misstep. Considering that items and stats and plots all require community interaction to establish functions and lore, Miyazaki shouldn’t have bothered localising these games into English at all. To be honest, I think this would only strengthen the cultism surrounding these games. He may as well fully commit to the bit. 

Maybe it’s me... maybe I just don’t possess a sufficient creative spirit, but I cannot comprehend, understand or endorse having an impenetrable narrative. Congratulations to those who take part in the community to decode the lore and meaning of what is taking place, but I’m not going to engage in the extracurricular activities that are required to understand what is happening in the game. Few other games do this. Of all the ways that key Soulsborne game mechanics have permeated the industry, having an impenetrable narrative is not one of them. And that’s because it sucks.  

Players should never have to go to external places to understand what is going on. We don’t tolerate this in other games, nor other art mediums such as books, TV shows and movies.  

With this, unfortunately, I will have to 100%, no 1000% +5% Tax agree.

I too believe that the story in Elden Ring is absolutely dogwater. 

To be fair, the story in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls isn't amazing either. Heck, even Bloodborne kinda sucks (you start with the beasts and cursed blood and then you go Eldrich horror but the game...forgets...about the cursed blood somehow?). But the little cryptic story worked in the contained world of those games.

Here though? As you said, you only remember the names of said characters because of the ass whooping that they give you. Melina, Malenia, Godwyn, Godfrey, Godefroy(!!!! yeah there's one!!!) ,G--angsta paradise...I could not give a single damn about these fools at all. Even the loathsome DUNG EATER, the poopooman himself, is interesting for exactly 5 minutes until he legit sends you to find shit. In fact, the only part that interested me was Ranni's questline, because she wanted to fuck shit up. Other than that, I had no idea why I was beating all those large dudes.

And yes, I think Miyazaki (or whoever wrote the script, let's be honest) fell into the trap of "adding a journal/log/comprehensive story is not Fromsoft-y enough" . Caveat - I could not give a damn what happened in the Night of a Thousand Knives, I just wanted to 1v1 WWE Supersmackdown Hoarah Loux.

As for the involvement of this fine gentleman:

0712_GRRM_crop.jpg

One has to piece out the initials of every single boss in the game to understand the link. Godfrey Rennalla Rykad Maliketh for instance 😂

Also Mohg kindapped an "underaged Miquella" to make him his consort. Goddamn Targaryens Mohgwyns.

But yeah, Story sucked. Should have covered it in my review too.

Finding every castle was like playing a different game. A better game. One where I could explore a digestible amount of food per bite. Stormveil Castle was probably my favourite part of the game. Clearly I have chosen the wrong Soulsborne game to play... maybe I should have tried Dark Souls instead. I was relieved every time that I reached a castle or some man-made structure because I knew that I was about to explore a small labyrinth that had been specifically designed and tested.

That is the favorite section for many - the "Legacy Dungeons". Stormveil, Leyndell capital, Haligtree (ish, seriously screw that area 😂), it's what made Souls games so famous, now in Ultra HD. No wonder you loved that :D 

And now for the finale:

Yes. I believe it is bad game design. No clickbait or forced contrarianism here – just a thought-out and genuine belief. I think that the cult status of the genre has blinded too many people to the glaring faults with Elden Ring’s open world and with the series’ refusal to provide (or simply decline altogether) a narrative-based motivation. The Emperor has no clothes. 

The best parts of Elden Ring outweigh the negative: the continued gorgeousness and creativity of FromSoft’s flair for visual spectacle. It is further propped up by the key positive components of the Soulsborne genre: the unique online mechanics, a diverse quantity of build options and combat mechanics (again, all of very high quality), and the merging of those three strengths for the fantastic variety of boss battles.  

Sometimes it takes a while to gain a better perspective to see things that were previously invisible. I have the humility to accept that I do not yet have the sufficient perspective to see why everyone adores this game so deeply. I am willing to accept that I might be wrong with my views. Maybe one day I will possess sufficient Insight to see Elden Ring as a 10/10... But not today. Maybe it really is a Skill Issue.

I will gladly accept any criticism here, but I still believe that the games that Fromsoftware does really aren't for everybody. And I don't mean that not everyone can finish them, no no, but I don't think everyone could appreciate what they do. Here I only speak for the whole Souls/Bloodborne aspect, because my god I can't touch the pew pew robots series called Armored Core (good games for their genre but my god they make me want to quit gaming; personal taste :lol:

I don't think they're truly bad design, because they definitely must have done something right if people in my entourage who only played FIFA and Counter Strike gave this game a go and were absolutely lost for tens of hours in that world. But it is also a very moody design, messy and too big for its own good, it definitely breaks stuff that made the other games great, but also improves where the other games failed.

I can't believe I would appreciate a jump button like that in a game 😂

I will stop here because I don't want to reply with an equally lengthy review. Bottom line, I absolutely loved the entire madness that you wrote there, it's the post that I have been waiting for 😂 all you wrote is valid criticism and it's actually fun to see others' perspective on the games that I enjoyed.

If I say for certain games that they're the reason I still play videogames, well this post here is the reason why I still hang around in the Trophy Checklist thread.

GLORY TO THE BRICKS!

6801025846_82375f1229_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

That's actually a great point - in the age of trophies, the bar for what games I will keep going with post-platinum has been raised quite a bit, but The Witness did for sure!

I have to agree on that point. A game has to have fun content to play after the platinum pops for me to not delete it and the save data. For me, that game will always be...

DRAGON%20QUEST%20BUILDERS%202_2024032312

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Thanks to the progression mechanics and the leniency of the collection requirements(all under 70%), I was able to be down to four trophies by the time the story credits rolled, which compensated for the god-awful decision to make ghost speech last for a minute every paragraph. :angry:

I'm just about to pop the final two trophies - just have to wait for my cats to grow up so I can breed the fourth-generation child and then snap a few photos - but will this game be deleted? Hell f*king NO. Thanks to the Buildertopia sandbox areas you can create, you can recreate any city or location in your favorite video game with the right amount of blocks and accessories. I intend to keep playing for these reasons:

1. I'm not even closing to 100%ing the Builderpedia.
  2. I want to recreate some cool video game locations like Bellsprout Tower in Pokemon Gold/Silver on my own little island.
  3. I need to finish up the castle in Cerulean Steppes. (I have a nice little Chapel of the Children and torture tower on a nearby cliff. :lol:)
  4. I have to complete the remaining Tablet Targets to get the final reward from the Hairy Hermit, binoculars that let you build from a distance.

Yes, this is a building simulation game. Yes, I'm about to pop the platinum. But I want to have something to play after I burn myself out on trophy hunting, something that won't pop a trophy when I complete the Builderpedia or whatnot. Just a nice fun thing to do. I have Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince but that only goes so far as it's a Nintendo Switch game. I have Princess Peach Showtime but I'm playing that on weekends for my five-year old niece who is a big fangirl of Princess Peach. ;)

This game is staying on my PS4 Pro until the day I die and I'll delete my entire lineup before I remove this game to clear up the PS4 Pro's hard drive.

So yeah, I apologize for the huge rant but I just wanted to say that there should be life after a game's platinum and if there isn't, it's gone. I don't care if Shantae is cool, she has nothing for me after I get the platinum on The Seven Sirens. 😜 The Builder will always remain on my console, however.

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:32 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Oh okay... I'll have to ask you about that. Latin lyrics or there's Latin-influences in the composition itself??

For this I have an actually documented reply :D 

Make sure to use headphones when listening, otherwise your furniture will start floating

On 3/24/2024 at 3:32 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

😂😂 Of course there's a Godefroy and a Miquella as well 😂

Wait... are you being facetious in pointing out that so many bosses have the initials 'G,' 'R,' and 'M' as in 'George R R Martin' or is that an actual thing? Because if that's an actual thing, I hate that!

Wow 😂 that's a deep cringe on the narcissism front!

Nah here I was mostly joking and GRRM himself said it's a pure coincidence

But also...it kinda fits? We will never know 😂 One thing is for sure, the main demigods all have a G, R or a M as their initials. So that's why everyone went conspiracy theory on it hah

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think this marks my first (and long overdue) appearance in your domain. I've taken a glance before, now I'm diving in fully.

First of all, I have to say, you're underselling your stuff in the intro post. I see this:

On 11/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

This is what you can expect from me: 

- A little blogging about games I have played/am playing with some opinions and a review with a rating. I like pretty pictures... look out for the pretty pictures.

... and then I go and read some of the most well-written and thoughtful reviews on the forums 😁. From top to bottom, high quality stuff. I like the visual side too. You illustrate your points well. And of course, the memes. This is me while scrolling though a page here:

05f.jpg

I'm interested in a whole bunch of games you have covered here, from Sony mascot platformers to some indie games. I also see some scores I disagree with, so I'll visit again for sure. But today I wanted to leave some comments on

On 6/30/2022 at 8:31 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Series: God of War

I read most of the 3 posts covering and analyzing the series. Not all of them, because I haven't played all of the games, of course. By my thoughts on the first 2 entries in the francise mostly mirror yours. I'll go over some bullet points first.

- Music. I often forget to mention this aspect, but it's very important. The soundtrack of God of War (1 and 2) adds so much to the game. Absolutely epic, even in the menu screen it sets the mood from the first couple of seconds.

- Level design. I feel the same way about Pandora's Tower as you do. It's one of the highlights of the first game without a doubt. It's interconnected, it tells a story, it's visually diverse - a lot to mention. But in terms of points of comparison, (and here's the part where my lack of gaming education probably comes to bite me) I assume it's supposed to be similar to 3D Zelda dungeons. There are these separate challenges with puzzles, a big fight at the end of each one, and a prize in a form of a new item or a power. After that, you return to the entrance, or a "hub area". I'm pretty sure that's how 3D Zelda games go. 

- Camera. Another thing I think I failed to mention in my own posts. But you're right. The fixed camera works really well here. When camera becomes a problem in games, we often point it out. When it works flawlessly for the entirety of (at least) two games in a row while moving around, pulling back, and performing all kinds of cinematic moves, we rarely mention it. 

- When I played, I didn't even realise that the high combo counter increases the amount of the red orbs you earn 😅.

- Kratos's death count is truly comical.

- You covered the story aspect really well. I don't have much to add except one thing about the first game that I think could've been done better, although it's probably a matter of preference. So the way the plot uncovers is often done through Kratos talking to himself, letting us dive into a flashback, then going back to fighting. Meanwhile, characters like Athena and the oracle are there, but they are reduced to being nothing more than direction givers. I know that other writers would've made them interact more, share about each other in conversations, and I'd probably prefer that. That said, maybe I'm wrong, and that's simply not how Kratos operates at this point in his life. He's being avoided, and he does the same in return.

Another thing that was on my mind is the popularity of Greek mythology in fiction. The reason is that I was playing Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation in parallel with both God of War games, and I witnessed the difference in designs of the same mythical characters (some of them are also present in Persona 3 which is still fresh on my mind). I remembered Disney's animated film Hercules as well. Just wanted to share one of the examples for your amusement:

one of the Sisters of Fate, Clotho, in Hercules:

qB65wsO.png

Clotho in SMT:

l4h86cX.png

Clotho in God of War 2:

FJ5LCdG.jpeg

Isn't it fascinating how different all three versions are? I'm sure there are more portrayals out there as well. And it's just one character. You can spend a lot of time comparing the rest.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Slava said:

then I go and read some of the most well-written and thoughtful reviews on the forums 😁

Hey Slava!

For real, thanks for the compliments mate. 🥰

Welcome!

24 minutes ago, Slava said:

The soundtrack of God of War (1 and 2) adds so much to the game. Absolutely epic, even in the menu screen it sets t

☝️☝️ 

26 minutes ago, Slava said:

The fixed camera works really well here. When camera becomes a problem in games, we often point it out. When it works flawlessly for the entirety of (at least) two games in a row while moving around, pulling back, and performing all kinds of cinematic moves, we rarely mention it. 

Yeah I found it to be extremely effective. I found the fantastic use of the fixed camera outside of combat to be more impressive than the 2018 reboot/Ragnarok creating an illusion of a singular shot from beginning to end. It comes down to personal preference, of course, but the PS3 GOW fixed cameras allowed the player to come to their own conclusions about the size of these mythical worlds.

28 minutes ago, Slava said:

Kratos's death count is truly comical.

Yeah I think he dies just more than Goku but just less than Optimus Prime 😂 ... i.e. HEAPS.

28 minutes ago, Slava said:

Meanwhile, characters like Athena and the oracle are there, but they are reduced to being nothing more than direction givers

True, but this may be a comment on the functions of NPCs at the time. The end of the PS2 lifecycle was the Wild West so I can see an argument both ways.

29 minutes ago, Slava said:

Clotho

Oh, for sure. This is a great strength of Greek Mythology: reliance on archetypical characters. This is why it is so relevant today, and has been relevant since the time of the Ancient Greeks (and in the middle, hence the survival of the mythos): characters that are a template for people we will meet in our lives and through which we can learn things about ourselves.

For instance, I prefer the interpretations of Clotho where she is visualised like an old, bitter crone... troglodytic in nature, who relishes in the opportunity to gossip about the misfortune of others, and has no close family that cares for them. This personality is exactly the type that would find themselves in a position of power over the fate of others. There's a nugget of truth and inherent relatability there that we can learn from.

Likewise, I thought Ragnarok's interpretation of Thor was fantastic.

I know that you've just come from GOW2... It's so strange to me that the general critical consensus is that GOW2 is superior to GOW1.

GOW1 was such a bolt from the blue in terms of storytelling in games, in terms of level design, and it had so many great ideas.

GOW2's combat was not better, and those other factors were not up to the same standard. Crucially for me, Kratos' character degraded from two-dimensional to one-dimensional in GOW2. I couldn't see the improvements except for upgrading the quality of the cutscenes... and that's not a real metric to go by, is it?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

This is a great strength of Greek Mythology: reliance on archetypical characters.

Yea, good point. This reminds me of Orpheus, whom I was reading about not long ago. There are a couple songs by Arcade Fire about him, which made me interested. Basically, he's a poet and musician. His wife died tragically. He played the saddest songs ever written, and was allowed to go to the underworld to recover the wife, only on one condition: she should follow his steps, and he must not turn and look at her until they're both out. He exited, couldn't wait to look at her again, and turned around too soon, while she was still on the other side. She had to stay in the underworld, this time forever. 

An interesting story, but it's only one of many different interpretations of him. Orpheus is indeed more of an archetype than a character. Generally, he's just a musician who sings about love. What kind of life-ruining events follow depends on the story.

Makes sense that the same applies to other heroes and creatures of the Greek myths.

9 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Kratos' character degraded from two-dimensional to one-dimensional in GOW2

Can't wait for him to become the first zero-dimentional character in 3 😎

• Like 2