What was "Drake's Deception"? (Spoiler Alert)

I never put any thought into the dual meaning of the title. I just figured it was the obvious with Sir Francis Drake hiding the fact that he was even looking for the "Atlantis of the Sands" and/or whatever clues he found leading up to his decision to not pursue finding the city.

Good point about Nathan's past though.

It's kinda fuzzy though, hopefully some of this will be clarified in the fourth... If there will be one :P

Maybe we'll see something in Golden Abyss like SteelSammy said in the Final Impressions thread. I don't have any plans to buy the Vita, so I'm not sure if I'll find out any time soon.

Maybe we'll see something in Golden Abyss like SteelSammy said in the Final Impressions thread. I don't have any plans to buy the Vita, so I'm not sure if I'll find out any time soon.

If I remeber correctly, Golden Abyss will transpire before the events of Drakes Fortune. Don't qoute me on that though.

I certainly don't hope that Golden Abyss has anything to do with this tough, i don't want to have to buy a friggin Vita in order to know what's going on in the next Uncharted :P

I think that the meaning of Drake's Deception is twofold. First, Sir Francis Drake's deception of the Queen by claiming he found nothing on his trip to Arabia. Second, I think that it refers to Nathan Drake's self-deception that he needed to continue the lifestyle that he loved instead of being with the woman he loved.

Also, Golden Abyss will indeed occur before Drake's Fortune, however the two stories are unrelated.

I think that the meaning of Drake's Deception is twofold. First, Sir Francis Drake's deception of the Queen by claiming he found nothing on his trip to Arabia. Second, I think that it refers to Nathan Drake's self-deception that he needed to continue the lifestyle that he loved instead of being with the woman he loved.

Also, Golden Abyss will indeed occur before Drake's Fortune, however the two stories are unrelated.

This :)

• 3 weeks later...
But if you think about it, what if Marlowe was telling the truth, and Nathan Drake isn't Nathan Drake? What if he's some random 'John Carver' or something?

Yeah, that's what I think it is also. Considering Nate's identity through the whole series has been around this supposed connection to Sir Francis, that would have the most potential impact. Given the very questionable parentage that's exposed in this game, I'm somewhat sure that he either made the whole thing up or was somehow wrong in his belief that he was a descendant of the famous explorer.

I think he's deceived himself into thinking that he was connected to Drake and therefore needed to follow his path - to follow in his footsteps, if you will - but then he came to realize at the end of the game that it was ok for him to just be a regular guy and he had nothing left to prove.

• 1 month later...

I never put any thought into the dual meaning of the title. I just figured it was the obvious with Sir Francis Drake hiding the fact that he was even looking for the "Atlantis of the Sands" and/or whatever clues he found leading up to his decision to not pursue finding the city.

Good point about Nathan's past though.

I completely agree with your comment. It lines up precisely with my opinion of why it is called Drake's Deception.